‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dennis Miller without the pop culture and 25 extra IQ points, January 9, 2000
This review is from: Dangerous (Audio CD)
This is the Bill Hicks CD I'm stuck on right now. His insight on everything from music(I'll bet Jimi could shake Debbie Gibson's love right in half!), to bums being a sign that our system doesn't work was truly ahead of his time. This man is a legend taken from us too soon, yet not enough of us know him. You can probably tell that from the 40 people reacting to his material. Anyone who can make an audience laugh as hard as our dear departed friend did, while making us think about our world in broad terms is truly a special individual. His intellect is missed is a big way. Just like everyone else said, if you like Dennis Miller, Carlin, or Lenny Bruce, Bill's CDs are a must in your collection. And while you're at it..."TAKE SOME MUSHROOMS AND SQUEEGEE YOUR THIRD F**KING EYE! "

5.0 out of 5 stars A Genius Who Deserved More Recognition, July 11, 2002
Michael Crane (Orland Park, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous (Audio CD)
Bill Hicks was one of the most UNDERRATED comedians ever, in my opinion. Why? Because I only discovered him about a week ago, and I LOVE listening to stand up comedians. I learned about him through this site, and by reading all of the rave reviews, I knew he was someone I had to check out. My first purchase was "Rant in E-Minor." Now, I have had the chance to pick up "Dangerous," which I think is his first album, or so I am told. Again, I was in awe and laughing many MANY times.
Very much like "Rant in E-Minor," Bill proves once again why he was so great at being funny. He makes you laugh, but makes you think at the same time. He doesn't go over the "typical routine," like family gimmicks and so on. He talked about the stuff that no one else would have the nerve to talk about. This album may not be as political as the "Rant in E-Minor," but it's just as well thought out and brutally honest. Very original and courageous material.
My favorite track? Don't have one. Why? Because this ENTIRE album is great. You lose the vibe you get from Bill if you only listen to certain tracks. Speaking of tracks, the track listing on the album is in the wrong order. It's okay, you don't need them. Because you will listen to the entire album over and over again.
Bill Hicks really deserved more recognition when he was alive. It's a shame. Why did I have to find out about him AFTER he died? Why wasn't he on TV enough? It's up to us to get his name out there and let people know that this is a brilliant comedian. I will be sure to get the other albums. We miss you Bill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only the good die young, January 8, 2001
B. PERKINS (Denton, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous (Audio CD)
Okay, so it's a trite sentiment, and it does require an open-minded definition of the word "good," but it's true. Bill Hicks single-handedly changed my idea of what comedians are capable of--and I'd grown up listening to Pryor, Carlin, and Bruce. I first heard of him while watching an hour long TV special on his life on Comedy Central, called "It's Only a Ride." I had never seen anything like it; it was the comic equivalent of seeing the Grand Canyon. Bill tackled subjects that most comics wouldn't touch; and that, not his profanity, is what made him so outrageous. Whereas most people look at the inanity and idiot-syncrasies of the modern world and merely roll their eyes, Hicks raised his voice. Unlike others who do so, Hicks actually had something to say. He was able to fully realize the comedian's rare ability to fully speak out on any subject he saw fit, and he made me laugh so hard, that for the only time in my life, I cried. I once saw a bumper sticker that said, "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." Bill Hicks probably couldn't have agreed more...

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply great stand-up comedy, well executed. And strangely intellectual at times, January 30, 2006
This review is from: Dangerous (Audio CD)

There are lots of comedians who focus completely on subjects we can all relate to, but sometimes that means catering to the lowest common denominator. Then there are comedians who place a bigger emphasis on intellectual and political rants, but sometimes make you feel disconnected from them. So few comedians have been able to weave both of these extremes into a style all their own, and on top of that create something extremely funny and memorable. Bill Hicks was one them.

You'll find several of Hicks' well known routines here: smoking, the south, good times on drugs, popular music acts we love to hate, topical political rants. Granted, there have been plenty of comedians who have done routines on these same subjects both before and after Bill Hicks. [Yes, "before". Denis Leary bashers take note: there were way more than two comedians with rants on smoking, drugs, Jim Fixx, and the Judas Priest trials! Research before you jump to conclusions.] However, I find that Hicks' own approach to these subjects was exceptional and memorable. It's anything but hack. Most importantly, his material still remain very funny. This can't be said of most other topical comedy from years past.

So what makes "Dangerous" different from some of his other albums? Most of the posthumous releases from Bill Hicks are either compilations of incomplete shows, shows with lots of repeating material, or has Hicks' instrumental music added in between the tracks. Although the repeating pieces often have different twists to them, and the idea to add music was something that Hicks himself intended, personally I prefer going to the straight-forward, full comedy act recordings found in releases like "Dangerous".

By the way, the track listing on the "Dangerous" CD (or on mp3 purchasing sites for that matter) has the correct track titles but in the wrong order. Here's the correct track order as you hear it on the CD:

1. Modern Bummer

10. The Vision

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Dead Hero, December 31, 2001
Kevin T. (Fairview, New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous (Audio CD)
This was Bill's first release and maybe slightly more playful then other releases (Bill got more political later on). But I can't help but get the feeling that the audience might've looked on in shock. A Bill Hicks concert was more like an emotional roller coaster. It made you laugh, made you think and sometimes made you question your own beliefs.
And that's the sad part. Because he was a man that could've changed the world if he wanted to. If he really cared to. This album is like his others. Despite the sound quality, which could have been a little better. But it still takes nothing away from making this a great album. Some of the best Hicks material is on this CD (for example, the "Positive Drug Story" routine and Bill's bad experiences with staying in hotels). And when the audience laughs, it might be a sort of nervous laugh at the truth of his rants. Not only "joke telling", but joke telling with a meaning behind it, rather then a comedian trying to be liked by the audience and just telling meaningless one liners. Good for a quick laugh, but doesn't have that "everlasting" appeal to it like a Bill Hicks CD does. And that's what might have let Bill keep his edge, from being a great comedian and then turning into a mediocre actor (like someone else i can mention), he didn't care if you liked it. He had something to say, and he expressed it. And he refused to go "Hollywood" (Often ranting about another mediocre comedian turned hollywood hack who sold out his artistic creativity to do a durritos commercial). That's what gave him his edge. He spoke for me, as well as for alot of other people. Even if some didn't "get it" and looked at him, as Bill had put it, "Like a dog that's just been shown a card trick".

5.0 out of 5 stars Bill Hicks: Another Dead Hero, January 23, 2001
"jcason" (Savannah, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous (Audio CD)
I really can't quite describe how funny Bill Hicks is. He is not a comedian in the Jerry Seinfeld/Tim Allen vein. He has IDEAS. Most comics talk about their parents and husbands or wives. Bill Hicks talked about his ideas, his perspective. He was crude and obscene to be sure, but he was also smart and perceptive. This CD is a good place to start if you have never heard of Hicks. Smoking, The War in Drugs, Modern Bummer, and Burning Issues are arguably the pick of the litter. I Love My Job gets a bit rough, but that was the point. It's a shame that Denis Leary appropriated some of Hicks' best bits and got famous. This CD is worth getting, the only drawback is once you get it you are going to want to buy Arizona Bay, Relentless, and Rant in E-Minor. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me Laugh; Made me think!, March 3, 2001
This review is from: Dangerous (Audio CD)
I discovered Bill Hicks quite by accident on Napster, and have been hooked ever since. Being from the South I was at first shocked by what he said, but he was so funny that I couldn't get angry enough at him to dismiss his ideas. Maybe that was part of his appeal to me. He made me think about why I held the long cherished beliefs I held; were my beliefs mine, or were they handed down to me by my southern fundamentalist culture? After reading up on him through BillHicks.com, I find myself in total agreement with one of Bill's friend's assement of him... He was as much a preacher as a comic. All of Bill's CD's are funny, thought provoking, and insightful, and you won't go wrong starting with "Dangerous."

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Mind, August 29, 2001
Roy Obal (WA, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous (Audio CD)
This is Bill Hicks's first comedy album. While it outshines most other comedy albums, it is dwarved by Bill's later work. In this, he seems to be going for the easy laughs, while later on he revelled in making audiences think and squirm. Still, it's amazingly insightful and fearless, especially his thoughts on the flag-burning issue. And you can take his material on vacuuous rock stars like Debbie Gibson and Rick Astley and apply it almost any musical act on the Top 40 charts today. The beginning of the legacy of a legend. Definitely not for people who think Adam Sandler is funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a comedian!, July 3, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Dangerous (Audio CD)
This and "Relentless" are the best of the four Bill Hicks CDs. Incredibly funny (sometimes obscene) and original material deliverd by a real pro stand-up, but an apparently warm and intelligent guy. (Some of the write-ups seem to make him seem mean-spirited. He does not seem that way at all to me.) Very thought provoking. Works on every level. His early death adds poignance, but I do not think you have to buy into the kept off Letterman because he was too graphic in order to really enjoy this. This is a thinking and feeling person's comedy that will have you rolling on the floor.

5.0 out of 5 stars First CD easily as good as the rest..., October 5, 2010
Magic Lemur (Somewhere in Madagascar) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous (Audio CD)
I have come to the end of my Bill Hicks Odyssey!
I haven't read all the books, but this is the last DVD/ CD of Bill's that I hadn't tried &, needless to say, I wasn't disappointed.

If you've listened to Philosophy: The Best Of Bill Hicks, then you will find the best bits of this CD fairly familiar (Tracks 2, 3 & 9). If you're like me, you also may be recognise much of the other material, although there is plenty that is unique to this album (e.g. tracks 1, 4, 6, 7 & 8).
The great thing is though that, familiar or not, this is still a great album, on a par with Relentless & certainly not lacking in Hicks' insight.

There are elements that Hicks improved on with later albums, such as his vision at the end (which is a little weak on this CD, but has all the right elements). Furthermore, there is no music or material on religion but, when this is compared to the first efforts of other comedians (e.g. Eddie Izzard - Unrepeatable), this shows the man on top of his game even 4 years before his untimely demise.

Two things I'd say in criticism though:
First is that track 4 (beyond minute 5) is by far the most disgusting material I've heard from the man as it delves into paedophilia & you can almost tell the audience is a little reviled by it.
Second is that (on the version I bought) the titles don't match the tracks. Assuming this is true of all CD's, the correct listing seems to be:

1. Modern Bummer
2. Flying Saucer Tour
3. Smoking
4. We Live In A World... (?)
5. The War on Drugs
6. Burning Issues
7. I Love My Job
8. My Parents
9. Please Do Not Disturb
10. The Vision.

All round though, this CD is impressive & deserves its hallowed status as a classic. Not quite up there with the masterpieces Rant in E-Minor & Arizona Bay, it still hits the spot & is surprisingly undated. Here's hoping the movie ('American - The Bill Hicks Story'*) is as good.

P.S. Call me a nerd, but on my profile you will find reviews for ALL the CD's of Bill Hicks...
I really need to get laid!

* - 'American - The Bill Hicks Story' was shown in the US, but hasn't been released on DVD (though it has been in the UK). Boooo!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›