Dangerous Games (Riley Jenson Guardian)
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange
Price:$7.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

DAMGEROUS GAMES is the fourth book in the series by Keri Arthur, and each of the stories pulls the reader deeper and deeper into the lust filled life of vampires and werewolves that is Riley Jenson. With each story brings her closer to becoming a true Guardian, and right now she isn't so sure this is a bad thing anymore. This time she hunts a serial killer, but this killer is beyond anything she has ever faced before, because this killer isn't anything that is from this time or place. Along with trying to stay focused enough to stay alive, she also has to battle her desire for her on again off again lover Quinn. This time her vampire lover may have crossed a line she isn't going to be able to let pass.

Anyone already familer with the story about these two star crossed lovers will understand that last part. If you are just coming to this series with this book I really must advise you do the series, and yourself a favor and read the books in order. You will not be disappointed, and if you are just coming to this series you won't have to wait to read each story as the rest of had to. Lucky you.

WOW this series is fast moving, powerful and never lacking in tense sexual desire. Keri Arthur keeps just enough sex involved in her stories to keep them interesting, but NEVER forgets the story. I have enjoyed this series so much and hope to see more of this wonderful character that Keri Arthur has created, along with all the other characters that bring this series to life. You just can't help but love Riley and all the trouble that just keeps following her even when she isn't looking. And lets be honest you also can't help but love her active social life......So gals have all the luck....

Keep up the good work Ms. Arthur
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 26, 2007
I have finished the 4th book in this series and I have to say it, I hate Quinn! I was pulling for him in the first, maybe second book but the third and fourth books have just ruined him for me. Quinn has abused and mistreated Riley, the main character more than once and I get so frustrated that she is still putting up with him. I like characters who are stronger than I am and even I would have kicked this jerk to the curb. In my opionion it makes Riley seem weaker and frustrates me to no end. There are other characters that she could explore relationships with (What happened to Kade? We hardly see Kellen!) since she keeps complaining she wants to find her wolf soul mate, but she keeps dating a vampire!

Other than that, I do enjoy this series and am looking forward to the next book that comes out in a few months. Everything else in this book works great and is action packed and enjoyable. I can't put the books down.
on June 7, 2007
I rated the first 3 books in this series with 5 stars and had high hopes for this one as well. It sounds strange to say I was disappointed in a book that was "only 4 stars," but I was.

The ongoing saga of the clone labs through the first 3 books kept the action going. The interactions between Riley and the other main characters added to the story and really gives a feel for the characters, beyond being just words on a page. Plus, the sex in those books was HOT!

This one seems to drift a little, like the author had to come up with a plot and just threw a bunch of ideas in a bowl, mixed it up, and looked at what fell out. The only secondary character who plays much of a role is Quinn, and he's a total (fill-in-word-here) in this book. (Riley finally gives him the boot.) The story came from nowhere and when it was over, it hadn't gone anywhere. Riley's verbal sparring with Jack's new secretary were stupid. And finally, with the exception of Riley's one scene will Kellan, the sex scenes were all filled with pain and darkness.

I will buy book 5 when it comes out. I just hope that one gets back to what made the first 3 so good...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 29, 2014
While not quite as engaging as the previous installments it still held my attention long past the time I should have gone to bed.

What Worked: I liked the introduction of demons and the Aedh beings in this book. Although we didn't get a whole lot of information about either it was nice to see something other than weres, shifters, vampires and lab creatures. The introduction of an interesting wolf shifter added to the cast of characters nicely and the bane of Riley, Sal, provided a measure of comic relief that the series needs to counter it's darker side. I thought the plot thread of Riley's investigation into the mutilated corpses was well done but a little less primary than I'd have liked.

What Didn't Work: As always I'm going to add the sex to what didn't work. The beginning had Riley acting like a petulant child after a tiff with her main squeeze. When she didn't get her way she responded by running to her second choice to hump like bunnies (or werewolves as it were.) I thought this was pretty ridiculous and immature. So far Keri Arthur has not fully convinced me that her werewolves HAVE to have sex...I concede that they do during the fully moon phase but the other 3 weeks Riley should be able to keep herself under control. She doesn't WANT to though. In addition to the sex I just didn't feel that there was as much action as in previous books. The mystery/thriller plot thread took a back seat to the sexual (dare I say perversions?) aspect. Mostly because the sadistic nature of the killer/s tied in with BDSM. So with so much sex and/or sexual situations I had a harder time setting them aside as I did with the three previous installments. Also, even though there was some recap on what happened in previous books, I don't think enough information was given to allow this book to stand alone or to be read out of order. Since I'm reading the books in order this wasn't an issue for me but as a reader, I should have the option to read a book in publication order or to just grab one off the shelf and start reading without worrying that things won't make sense. I really believe that if I'd started with this book instead of Full Moon Rising I'd have been lost and refused to read any more in the series.

In a Nutshell: With some positives and some negatives the book balanced out to an average read. However, I'm still enjoying the series and am looking forward to continuing on to the next one. I would recommend to new readers that they not start out with this book though. I'm finding with continuing story lines from book to book and not enough of a recap on past happenings a new reader would not find this book as enjoyable as I did. Read them in order people!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is book 4 for those wondering. Because somehow I messed up and thought that this was book 3. With that said it picks up pretty easy from book 3, in fact I didn't even realize I had missed anything for pretty much the whole book . . . of course I kept wondering, "Did I forget how and when Riley became an official Guardian?" Which makes me wonder about book 3's importance to the series.

Moving on. This is Riley's first book where she is "officially" a Guardian, I love it. It show's off Riley's struggle to not become a cold killer (making her do stupid things like leaving her weapon behind!!!) and how she's learning to fit into the "new" role. Like the previous books Arthur show's off her skills for making complicated plots and mystery solving. Riley is facing a Death God and spawns from hell. This is also the book I've been waiting for to mature Riley's character as a booty kicker, but her romantic life as well.

Quinn does some pretty crappy things in this book. Now I'm not saying this because I've been anti-Quinn from the get go. No I'm saying this because he's basically a manipulative prick basically abusing Riley's trust to a degree that made me sick. Some might say I'm blowing up his actions bigger then what he did, but he basically goes in her mind and tries to change her. While that awful relationship ends, Kerren finally gets to come in a bit!

This is a strong entry into the Riley Jenson universe as it steps away from the whole evil laboratory cloning plot from the first three books. It's clear that this series can stand on it's own after that epic plot arc ends, which is fantastic. It's great to watch Riley grow and finally take a real stance on certain things. It's a painful book emotionally and that's what I've come to love about Arthur's books. Making it this far, I have to say I'll follow this series to where ever it goes, and probably any books by Arthur.

Sexual Content: Sexy as always. Riley does use sex for her job as a Guardian, some readers may have a problem. But if you've made it this far, it's not going to shock you.

4/5- Great! Really enjoyed it.

Originally reviewed on Book Whispers.
VINE VOICEon April 6, 2010
There aren't many things that make my stomach turn... lets face it...I'm a zombie junkie, my favorite movie is "28 Days Later", and I laugh at the gore that makes most grown men squirm like 5 year old girls, but there is (naturally) one thing that I just can't handle.

What is this 1 thing you ask? What has toppled the Princess of Puke? Sure... I'll tell you, it's rough sex, and "Dangerous Games" was full of it.

Normally I can look past the misguided intentions of an author's warped mind but this time I just couldn't ignore my inner voice. (It was loud... very loud...as in take-no-prisoners-shut-the-stupid-book-you-dope loud.) I wanted nothing more than to clip large unnecessary sections from this book and feed them (forcefully) to the editor that green checked them through.

Riley, in all her Dhampir, Directorate Guardian glory is at it again. Her nemesis, whom escaped in the finale of the previous book is on the hunt, and she is his target. While trudging on with her everyday duties of "bad-man" hunting, she finds herself trapped in a weird torture circle. Quinn is of course there, being as pouty as ever (due to Riley's inability to never follow directions) and as a result does the vampire hoodoo-voodoo on her and uses compulsion to force her skinny butt home. (Not such a good idea if you catch my drift) Lie after lie puts Riley in the most dangerous situation she has ever found herself...facing down a 3 headed dragon, the father of all evil, and ultimately making her question EVERYTHING about her current life path.

Fighting ensues and blood is spilled...but the most interesting development in the entire book came when everything was tied up, (little red ribbon style) This particular plot line WILL NOT be strung out into book 5 (not that I'm complaining) and in the end Riley has finally cut the cord to several of her misguided flirtations.

Could this be the end of the Riley we have all grown to (reluctantly) adore? Where will this new found need to settle down leave our smart ass, vampire killing heroine? I am baffled yet intrigued. Which I guess for the author...is the whole point.

There were cute new shifter detectives, a sorceress sister, body entrapment, a new PA who is lovingly referred to as the Caramel Cow, an underground fight scene that had my brain short circuiting, several beheadings, and 1 very pissed of twin brother.

All in all I guess it was ok... if you take out the stocks and whips the OVERALL plot was actually intriguing and the "girly" lines were well written. I guess "Keri Arthur" can't win them all...or at least not for me.

Happy reading my fellow Dhampirs and remember: you didn't really need that finger... it was just there for decoration.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 18, 2010
I have read all of the popular, and many not so popular, series in urban fantasy and Riley Jensen is my favorite heroine. It took me a long time to decide to read the first book of the series because the favorite reviews are poor. I usually rely on fellow fans and their reviews to pick a series to read, but after how they really let me down with this series I don't trust reviews anymore. For example the most popular reviewer in book 1 is...

"113 of 133 people found the following review helpful:2.0 out of 5 stars Meh. Disappointing., May 9, 2006 By Circejane (Michigan) - This review is from: Full Moon Rising (Riley Jensen, Guardian, Book 1) (Hardcover) As an avid Kim Harrison fan, I read this book when she recommended it on her website. Her other recommendation, Moon Called by Patricia Briggs, was an excellent read, so I dug into Full Moon Rising with high hopes, but was disappointed."

Who is this Circejane and why are 113 people listening to her????!!!! She is so far off the mark that I question her taste in books, especially in Urban Fantasy. And, the reviews for book 4 are just as unbelieveably WRONG!!! I am also a big fan of Patricia Briggs and Kim Harrison, and this series by Keri Arthur more than measures up to the series by those authors. I also love Karen Chance, Lara Adrian, Charlaine Harris, Jeaniene Frost, J.R. Ward (earlier BDB) Kresley Cole,... so Riley Jensen's place as my favorite Heroine means she is one kick ***, entertaining, and well written character.

If you do not thoroughly enjoy each and every Riley Jensen book from 1 to 8 and can't wait for the next, then you obviously don't like urban fantasy. The world building, plots, characters, dialogue, and especially the character of Riley made this series un-put-down-able!!!! It is truly impressive that there are 8 books and each is better than the last. The character devlopment is great, and unlike some authors (like J.R. Ward) Keri Arthur does not make any drastic or odd changes that kill the series for the fans. I read the 8th novel right after it came out in April 2009 and have read tons of books since then. That it is Feburary 2010 and I am still excited for the 9th novel, and this series is still my favorite, should tell you to read this series.
on January 4, 2010
I gave this book 3.5 stars, which is typically how I rate Keri Arthur's books--though some have definately been better then others. This is the fourth book in a series about Riley, a vampire/werewolf who hunts supernatural bad guys for a living. The series has it's ups and downs quality wise--this book was one of the ups in my opinion.

Riley and her twin brother Rhoan are hunting a murderer who has been butchering women. Tracking leads, Riley stumbles upon Jin--a bartender who seems human but is something more. Riley quickly learns that not only is Jin a rough bedroom partner, he is also at the center of a magical organization who thrive on sexual pain as an energy source. As Riley attempt to bring down the bad guys, she continues to be pursued by her two leading men--Quinn and Kellen.

I liked the overall premise of this book. There are some plot holes and unanswered questions, so it's not the most cleaning told story in the world. Also it's slow in the middle. But in the end the story leaves a lot of room for Riley to develope.

Still reluctant in her position as gaurdian, she is forced to make some tough decisions and reevaluate her life. Her relationships are once again called into question as new things about Quinn are revealed and I admit the suspence in this is one of the main things that keeps me interested in the series. Athur has a talent for creating sexy mysterious men.

Theres no shortage of bad guys in this book. While I thought Jin was fascinating, and I liked that Gautier was present, I didn't feel that all the others were necessary. In fact they add clutter.

A good book overall. If your a fan of the series, you'll enjoy it.
on December 1, 2009
This book was put on hold for a very looong time, I misplaced it and finally got the urge to look for it since Smut Slut Fest is about to happen and I saw Tigris_Eden and Larissa_Sarah talking about it on Twitter or they might have suggested to me or I might have seen it on their blog or all of the scenarios mentioned. So I thought what the heck, it is time to give werewolves a chance. I favor vampires greatly, there's something about changing into something fury makes them less attractive to me, but the sex scene, I will now agree that the vamps got nothing on the weres.

While book 4 keeps me entertained, I was thrown in to confusion, the anceint gods of darkness did not appeal to me very well. I did however appreciate the horrors that they portray bdsm till you die is what they crave for. Talk about the highest level of carnal pleasure, I don't think anyone can top that.

The dhampire nature of Riley still draws me to this series, and Arthur made sure that I never forget. I wish she would lose the repetitive phrases everytime Riley feels the unwanted desire she feels. I get it alreay she is a werewolve and that is part of her and even when her life is at stake she couldn't help on what she is.

On the romance side. Quinn is beginning to irritate me, seriously when is his male ego and stupid werewolf issues going to end? While I am all about Team Quinn, for Riley's sake I think she should give Kellen a chance on the next book. Is that the case? Wait don't answer that. I'll start reading now...
on June 4, 2013
Review by Cassandra from Book Talk

Riley is starting to learn her role as a Guardian. Her newest case is to find a killer who's been using fantasy clubs as his way to find his victims. Her way in comes in the form of a sexy bartender named Jin. While dealing with the mind games of a former Guardian turned rogue, Riley follows the trail of Jin down a passionate road she never thought to experience. Soon she discovers this case is unlike any the Directorate has ever seen. With the race against her enemy, her lover's betrayal, and an ancient evil who has decided to take her, will Riley be able to survive the passion that will surely kill her?

This is another amazing installment of this series. With the previous case finally taken care of, Riley is trying to cope with her reluctant career as a Guardian. While those troubles are enough of a hassle in her life, more comes her way. Her newest case is a major mystery and very dangerous to not only the victims but to her as well. She also has to come to terms with the newest snag in her vampire relationship with the delicious Quinn. The dynamic between the characters and the rush and mystery of Riley's case keeps you turning the page to find out what happens next. With action and passion at every turn this book will hook you just like the previous ones. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good thriller/paranormal/romance. Warning: contains explicit content.