4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read.
"Dangerous Space" is a collection of seven short stories by Kelley Eskridge. Although some of them have scifi and/or fantasy elements, most are not what you'd call "strictly" scifi. These are the kind of edgy, intriguing stories that the term "speculative fiction" was invented for. I was not familiar with Eskridge's work before reading this, but I will definitely be...
Published on June 7, 2007 by Joan Leib

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I hought.
It just did not appeal to to my reading interests. What more can I say? I think I found one story somewhat interesting.
Published 17 months ago by Jerry G. Jorgensen

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Spaces, May 10, 2008
Ada (Washington DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dangerous Space (Perfect Paperback)
I had previously read some of these stories on Eskridge's website, after having become intrigued by her beautiful novel "Solitaire" when it first came out. That being said, even skimming the table of contents and realizing that there would be a bit of repetition in what I read gave me no pause while purchasing this book. So although I was prepared for a few of the stories, and reacted sort of in the same way you would when meeting an old friend that you hadn't seen in a while, what I was not prepared for was the impact of the stories as a collection. It's breathtaking.

The gender ambiguity that threads through the stories, particularly in the character of Mars but also subtly accented in the sexuality and qualities of Eskridge's other characters, was not, for me, the main focus. It evidences the author's skill in her prose, as well as an incredible openness about human potential. To me however, the book is about people, the way they become broken or mended, the way they become open or closed.

But "Dangerous Space" is not just about those places, geographic and symbolic, where we can become vulnerable. It's also about the thresholds that we need to cross, the moments that we need to share with other people to get there. Whether though love, or affection, or friendship, or lust, or just though a single moment of shared understanding, this is a set of stories filled with hope about the human capacity to connect. It is consistently delicately raw, and delightful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful tour de force, July 11, 2013
This review is from: Dangerous Space (Kindle Edition)
I disagree with the reviewer who called "Strings" ending predictable - and the future world basically unimagineable. The story put me in mind of Orson Scott Cards "Unaccompanied Sonata." It's a metaphor, and a grand one, for what artists go through in this life. Calling the "best" artist of each instrument by that instruments name - she turned to the Piano and said - he called out "Over here, Strad" - is a wonderful device, at once removing them from any reality we know, and driving home how at one they have to become with their instruments. As a pianist myself, classically trained, I can only guess at the amounts of hours it takes to become someone a panel of judges would call "the best". But the price, as in this story, is often too high.
The rest of the book is likewise wonderful. I would read it again in a heartbeat. I'm surprised no one's making short films of her work, really. It so lends itself to that!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I hought., July 8, 2013
This review is from: Dangerous Space (Kindle Edition)

Dangerous Space
Dangerous Space by Kelley Eskridge (Perfect Paperback - June 1, 2007)
$18.00 $15.87