Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

86%
14%

on May 3, 2006
It would take a long, long time to write all that could be written about this historic CD. Here, you have three of the best musicians ever in their respective fields playing some of Beethoven's very best music. I now have a large classical music collection. This CD is one of the gemstones of my collection. I love it. Reference grade.
on September 1, 2007
These trios are exceptionally presented. Some are typical chamber music of the time, but that is Beethoven's choice, not the fault of the players. Other trios are sublime, such as the Arch Duke trio and the Allegreto in B flat and several others that have a strong melodic line. The piano, violin, and cello work closely together and are well balanced. I am especially struck by Berenbohm's piano technique (Esp at the last movement of the piano trio in G Op1, #2) and du Pre's soft cello building harmonies throughout the trios.
on March 1, 2015
I am comparing this recording with that of the Beaux Arts Trio Phillips 432 381-2, which I bought several years ago after reading the Amazon reviews. I have no formal musical training, but I love Beethoven and I wanted to enjoy his trios, which I had never heard in their entirety. I was disappointed with the Beaux Arts recording. I couldn't listen to it without becoming bored and slightly irritated. I forced myself to listen to all five CD's because I know that a complicated piece of music can take some time to appreciate. However, I did not enjoy the experience and gave up on Beethoven's Trios.

I recently purchased this CD out of curiosity, knowing what great performers Barenboim, du Pres, and Zukerman were. Listening to this recording is like being in the living room of some good friends who happen to be virtuoso musicians, and are having a wonderful time playing some of the best music ever composed. It's so beautiful it is addictive. It's the only music I want to listen to now.

What a contrast to the Beaux Arts recording! As I listen to their recording again, it seems melodramatic and forced, as though they have something to prove. They know the music and can play it, obviously, but they seem to have taken the life out of it. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I could explain it better, so I'll leave it at that, and go back to enjoying Barenboim, du Pres, and Zukerman - and Beethoven.

epops
This set of Beethoven' s piano trios has overly been one of the most famed in the late sixties. The inspired and magnificent musical chemistry among these three soloists was of first-rate class. On one hand you should be aware the fabulous rapport between Mrs. Dupre and his husband Mr. Barenboim in the set of cello sonatas; on the other hand Pinchas Zukerman and Barenboim recorded too some Beethoven 's violin sonatas; so it's not easy to understand the positive vibes.

It should be underlined we are talking interpretative freshness, and that youthful breadth among this ensemble that hardly, adding all his ages, would be under the 100 years. If you are seeking for definitive versions, go for the set of Kempff, Szerying and Fournier, but this is a very wise option.
on January 5, 2013
Some of the lovliest and beautiful music ever! Performance/interpretation by Berenboim, Zukerman and du Pre' speak tp what Beethoven must have had in mind.
on January 1, 2015
Stunning!
on January 31, 2008
I don't know if the three performers were on drugs at the time, but these recordings are absolutely terrible. Eccentric playing and anti-Beethovenian interpretation make this a very poor set, and anyone who wants to know the real Beethoven trios should stay away.
66 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse