Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 3, 2006 6:15:04 AM PDT
One of the three winners of the Purple Heart given by Washington, was one Daniel Bissell of Windsor CT. He earned it for fulfilling a spy mission ordered directly by G.W. in New York. Were you able to pick anything up on his antics? I've read that it was hard on his family because everyone in town thought he had gone to the enemy!! Any coverage in your book?
Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2006 8:42:28 AM PDT
Ah, yes, the great Sergeant Bissell, a truly remarkable fellow. You're quite right, I believe, about him being on the books as a deserter (for maybe 150 years, I once read), though I hasten to add that that was part of his cover. I think his actual military records are in the National Archives and the Library of Congress, and ought to be pretty easy to find. If you wanted to know even more about him, I imagine that if you consulted old town histories of Windsor (the local Historical Society will have them) there would be a chapter or two on him.

Unfortunately, I had to leave him out because while he was in New York for a short time late in the War, he didn't have any contact with the Culper Ring. (Washington, you see, liked to keep his spies separate, so they would avoid incriminating or contaminating each other.) Narratively speaking, I had to focus on the Culpers and their adventures, and to have dealt with each and every other spy who worked during the Revolution would have entailed a sprawling, 900-page behemoth. And I don't think anyone wants that . . .
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  May 3, 2006
Latest post:  May 3, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Washington's Spies: The Story of America's First Spy Ring
Washington's Spies: The Story of America's First Spy Ring by Alexander Rose (Paperback - May 1, 2007)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (161)