Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:$4.99

on February 10, 2000
Unknowingly to me, there were tears flowing down my cheeks as I held my breath reading rapidly in order to learn if Danny lives or dies. The unique gift Danny brings to his mother, Jen, who has raised him since birth without alerting Danny's biological father, Luke, of Danny's existence, is VERY touching. Having children on the brink of teenage years myself and not knowing how they really feel, was accurately depicted in Freethy's development of Danny, a teenage boy who goes in search of his father. Upon returning to his mother from his first glimpse of his father's lavish life, Danny is hit by a car and slips into a coma. The tragedy brings his mother and father face to face. Luke, thinking the baby, Danny, had been aborted, is astonished to learn that he has a son. The devotion and love Jen has for her son makes Luke realize the loss he will have if he isn't given the opportunity to know Danny and re-acquaint himself with his soul-mate, Jen. I am now on a mission to read other books by Barbara Freethy.
55 comments112 of 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2001
This book has a special place in my heart, Nine months ago my son also was in the wrong place at the wrong time. And he died of brain trauma. At the time we recieved a lot of books of how to cope with the loss of a child. But Daniel's gift has helped me more to come to term with my loss than anything else I have read. Thank you Ms Barbara Freethy
11 comment64 of 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 1999
I've read this book for school and I must say this book was the most powerful story I have ever read. This book is not only heart warming it is also very spiritual. In her book Barbara displays heaven to be so very realisitc. It gives a reader a sense that there must be something out there awaiting after death. I loved the plot very much and I encourage any reader out there who has experienced the lifestyle portrayed in this book, to read it.
0Comment29 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2011
Overall I thought the book was entertaining. There were aspects of the book though that I felt were a tad irritating. For example, the repetitive conversation between Jenny and Luke in regards to their relationship, how they've made mistakes, how they came back to one another. I didn't find it believable enough and I found myself reading the same thing over and over again.

Also, there was a lot of sub stories that were going on that at times did contribute to the story, but were never fully resolved. Like the story of Matt, I found the solution to his problem to be too easy. With the guardian angel, there was something said about why he wasn't in heaven, but was never fully revealed. With Merilee and Richard it also seemed like any easy solution. He was caught cheating, no big deal we'll just go to counselling and everything will be okay. There wasn't enough depth in these relationships and no concrete resolution which made in hard to believe and relate to.

I found that the book wanted to create an in depth and complicated series of relationships that never had a concrete conclusion. I found that the author was trying too hard and in that lost my interest.
on June 24, 1999
I just discovered this book, had read Barbara's more recent titles, but had no idea what I was missing. This is a wonderful story, so poignant and heartwarming that I couldn't stop thinking about it all day. I love reunion stories, but this one was particularly tender because of the little boy and his intense wish to know his father. All I can say is WOW! Don't miss this book.
on October 18, 2012
I, like many others loved this book and thought it was heartwarming and touching. I am amazed at the reviews of Jenny not "acting" like they would in this situation or how dare she this or how dare she that-----this book is FICTION for goodness sake.
Another gripe about reviews are the ones that find it necessary to give out the entire plot in 3 lines AND give away the ending!!! I have learned to only look at the number of stars given a book in reviews so the ending is not told to me before I even buy the book. Perhaps YOU didn't like the way it ended but it isn't your job to ruin it for someone that might enjoy the suspense and it truly was suspenseful.
on August 26, 2011
This book was a complete waste of time and money. The plot is similar to a cheesy lifetime movie and just as predictable; the dialogue is inauthentic and the characters are cookie-cutter sterotypes. Honestly I could have stomached the plot if the writing was better - but I felt like a teenage girl had written this story. The plot which involves a comatose boy visiting the father he has never met is similar to a bad Reese Witherspoon romance movie in which she visits the tenant of her apt. while sheis in a coma. Each character has some personal drama such as the brother who struggles with alcoholism following glory days as a quarterback and the controlling sister who raised her siblings after her mother's death but is now so cold and methodical that her husband "understandably" has affairs. There is a couple bodice ripping moments that are cringe-worthy. And of course as in all life-time movies, everything is wrapped up in neat packages and fences are mended. I trusted the 5-star reviews, and I need to find a better way to discern a novel worth reading. I thought I would post a review to give other browsers pause before they make this regrettable purchase.
55 comments24 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2012
Very emotional and thought provoking. It made you realise how short life is and that we should live our life positively. I am so glad Daniel came back to life - my fifteen year old son didn't. This book will make people stop and appreciate those around them without a personal experience to give them a wake up call.
on November 18, 1999
I just finished one of the most emotional love stories I have ever read. This is one incredible book. All the characters are interesting, people I felt I knew. I was hooked from the first page and couldn't put this book down until the very end, despite the fact that I had to reach for Kleenex several times. If you like stories that tug at the heart, this one is definitely for you!
on January 16, 2012
It was a pleasure to read a well-written and well-edited book. I was not enthralled with Danny hovering around with a sort of angel as his guide, while he was in a comma or the divorce and sex in the book, but the story was gripping. The characters were rich and real, and I loved the book despite the above mentioned things. This was definitely a good read.