5.0 out of 5 stars Best running book for the scientifically minded!
Published on February 9, 2004 by GC Fourie

3.0 out of 5 stars For advanced runners
I'm not saying this book is bad - it looks very good, but it is not for my level of running. It is for very good runners who have a lot of time to devote to getting even better. It is extremely technical, with all kinds of complex measurements, formulas, etc. I guess I should have expected that with "formula" in the title. I just thought the formula would be easier.
Published on January 10, 2009 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Best running book for the scientifically minded!, February 9, 2004
My running library contains more than 20 books and I rate this one the best. It offers a truly scientific way of training. Each and every point is thoroughly explained. A book like this is an absolute delight for the thinking runner who not only wants to know what to do, but also why. The book is very practical too, as the instructions are distilled into just a few tables - all easy to use. You will learn Daniels' proven methods to improve endurance, lactate threshold, VO2Max and mechanical running speed. The real beauty of this book is that it can be used by elite runners and slow beginners alike; the tables accommodate all runners and tell us exactly what to do based on our recent race times. If I could choose only two books on running, it would be this one and The Lore of Running by Dr Tim Noakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for this beginner*, June 24, 2009
This review is from: Daniels' Running Formula - 2nd Edition (Paperback)
I was a mediocre high school cross-country runner who hadn't run consistently in over 12 years. I got tired of saying "I used to be a runner" and got back out there four months ago. Spent two months moving between various plans and then, after a disappointing 30+ 5k, decided to try this book. 10 weeks, 154 miles later, and a 57-minute 10k personal best in the books, it's time to write the review.

If you've started running solely to complete a marathon in 20 weeks, this isn't the book for you. But anyone looking to make running a long-term habit, even those of us who aren't competitive yet, should find this book a very good step towards a successful career (however we define it.)

For a beginner, this isn't a cover-to-cover read. But his training plans (White, Red, Blue, and Gold) are great places to start. And as I go through the plans, I find myself turning back through the rest of the book to find out (a) why I'm doing the particular workout I'm doing and (b) why my body is responding the way it is.

And once you've gone through White & Red, you'll be ready to understand and tackle the race-specific training plans. I've found, even 10 weeks in, that the rest of the book is starting to make much more sense to me now than it originally did.

Ultimately, Daniels' book will most benefit people who want more of an explanation for long runs than "they increase your endurance." People who want to know how they work and why you can/should run them so slowly will appreciate Daniels. If nothing could interest you less than that, this probably isn't the best book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn good book, July 20, 1999
By A Customer
You should buy this book! There is no other running guide out there that is as intelligent, easy to understand, practical, and accurate. Though the book is not the much sought after, all inclusive "Bible of Running" type book, as it lacks important non-running information (strength training, nutrition, strectching, plyometrics, etc...) However, what it lacks in completness it makes up for with its extremely intelligent approach to training with excellent workouts and an effective approach to training. So, I can't say this is the only book you'll ever need, but if you want to make major improvements and learn alot about the proper way to train, buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Excellent book, May 19, 1999
This is the simply the best book on training I have ever read!!! I have read at least a dozen books on running and training from coaches like Dellinger, Lydiard, Bowerman, etc and runners like Rodgers, Liquori, Shorter etc and Jack Daniels book is the best of the bunch. For years I have trained by the seat of my pants trying to incorporate all I have read but with little real understanding of the affects of the different types of training I was doing. Daniels simply and clearly outlines the parts of training and their purpose. The training schedules laid out are easy to use and adaptable to any level. I feel like I now understand my training and my race times are faster. I am recommending this book to all my running friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daniels' Running Formula made me FASTER, June 22, 2001
By A Customer
Jack Daniels, the author of this book, holds a PhD in Exercise Physiology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He first got involved with running when he used to compete in triathlons. He is currently the head coach of the SUNY-Cortland women's Cross Country team. This book is FULL of EASY TO UNDERSTAND technical information that will make you FASTER...period.
Personally, I am a high school distance runner and on our cross country team we run about 40 miles / week. Our coach started using this book before our outdoor track season started. I ran a 5k road race in 19:50 (6:23 pace) on March 11th, 2001 before the track season had started and before we started using Daniels' formula. Daniels' book has you establish a VDOT based on recent race performances. He explains the PURPOSE of every workout you do. He believes it's important that you realize what you're trying to accomplish with every running session that you do. Therefore, Daniels has easy to use tables which set intensity guidelines to prevent overtraining and injury. He shows you that if you train anywhere in between the intensities, then you're training in "no-man's land." This means that you are doing "junk-training." There are four training paces in all for high-quality running sessions: the easy/everday training pace(65-75 percent of VO2 max), the interval pace (designed to stress VO2 max or maximum oxygen uptake, performed at 98-100 percent of VO2 max), the threshold pace (designed to improve lactate threshold, about 86-88 percent of VO2max), and the Repetition Pace (designed to improve running strength and economy, at a pace greater than one's VO2 max).
For me, I ran a 5:15 mile at the beginning of the track season so my coach used this to determine my VDOT. According to the book's tables, my VDOT was 56. I trained by doing "R Pace workouts," "T Pace Workouts" and "I Pace Workouts." R Pace workouts, designed to improve running strength and economy, consisted of 200, 200, 400 meter repeats with a 1 to 4 effort to rest ratio. For a 56 VDOT, the paces would be 39 and 80. The T Pace Workout, designed to improve lactate threshold, was 6 x 1000 for me with only 1 minute rest, at 3:53 pace. The I pace workout, to stress VO2 max, is also repeat 1000s. However, we do only 4 x 1000 at a faster pace, 3:34, but get 3:34 rest as a result of the 1 to 1 effort to rest ratio.
In addition, he shows you exactly how to schedule your training sessions around races so you can be in peak physical fitness to set a HUGE PR!!! As a result of his training for less than 2 months, I ran an 18:14 5k (5:53 pace) on May 6th, 2001. I was 7th overall out of 166 runners in the race. In the race last March 11th, 2001, where I ran 19:50, I was 47th in my race, PATHETIC!!! I have no idea what I would run the mile in if I were to race it now, but I would guess that I'd be around 4:50 thanks to his workouts which have resulted in an increase in my fitness level.
Jim Ryun, a former world record holder in the 800, mile, and 1500m says "Simply put, Daniels' formula works. This book is a must read for every runner and coach interested in achieving peak performance."

5.0 out of 5 stars Long distance training, scientifically., June 12, 2005
This review is from: Daniels' Running Formula - 2nd Edition (Paperback)
To start off with, I would like to say that I have had a lot of experience with this training system. My high school distance coach based the workouts for the distance team on Daniel's training method. I am very impressed with how the system works, when used correctly. It is important to know what physiological level you are at, then to train appropriately. Daniels uses a system of tables so that the athlete can determine his/her fitness level based on race performances, and then train at appropriate times for the given distance. While our distance team used this program for track & field, it also could be adapted to a cross country program.

This book is probably most valuable for someone who has a decent background with distance/middle distance running already, although I have found that the system is flexible enough so that the workouts can be incorporated into an individual's own training regimine. My track coach used an adapted version of Daniel's training plan, and it was very sucessful overall. During my senior year of high school I was able to take about 20 seconds off my 1600m time during the course of the season, and my teammates had similar results.

Why is Daniels so effective? Because he bases his method off of principals of exercise physiology. When the body undergoes stress, it will react accordingly, and adapt over time. This system make it possible to train intelligently and effectively without stressing the body excessively, thus causing injury or negative results. Daniels focuses on both aerobic and anaerobic training, as well as running economy, so that all the systems of the body will be prepared for peak race performance.

I recommend this book to anyone who desire to improve his/her race times while maximizing the effectiveness of their training sessions.

5.0 out of 5 stars The training bible for the serious runner !, August 17, 2004
I consider Jack Daniels' Running Formula my running bible. I have read it 5 times and will likely read it again a couple more times. In addition, I refer to it on a weekly basis (VDOT's, time charts).

The good:

* He describes the types of running, the frequencies, the intensity that they should be ran at "immaculately".

* I love the pace charts and the predicted racing times, they are "dead-on".

* Book is packed with his extensive experience and knowledge (definitely not one of those books to make a quick buck !!!).

The bad:

* He is not the best writer (but the information is great)

Caveats:

* I would say his book is for serious runners (40++ miles a week)

* I would highly recommend using a heart rate monitor. Basing the

VDOT on easy, tempo and race pace can easily lead to injury since your intensity may creep up (the HR monitor does not lie !!!).

* I take his long run rule with a grain of salt (max 25% of weekly mileage). Maybe this applies to 80 mile+ runners, but if you are like me and train 50-60 miles a week and run marathons this seams not helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb training guide for serious runners., June 13, 2001
By A Customer
Jack Daniels is recognized to be one of the world's leading authorities on distance training. This book encompasses the bulk of his wisdom, with a detailed approach to training for all races between 1500m and marathon distances. Daniels focuses on utilizing periodization training, with blocks of about 4 weeks dedicated specifically to repetition, threshold, interval, or aerobic training. The blocks are arranged according to your long-term season, resulting a very serious and demanding training program.
While extremely detailed and effective, Daniels' book is clearly oriented toward the serious runner with the ability to plan out his or her season and make regular visits to a track. Daniels provides specific workouts for each type of training (repetition, threshold, interval, or aerobic) and offers sample training programs for various distances. He devotes a good portion of Daniels' Running Formula to the physiological mechanisms of faster times, as well as racing, training conditions, taking time off, etc.
Ultimately, it is his extensive approach to periodized training that truly stands out. Complete with detailed explanations of each kind of training and effective workouts for serious runners, Daniels provides the kind of coaching that the elite use. Nevertheless, the specificity and dedication demanded by his training program is clearly oriented toward intermediate/advanced runners, and beginners would be at a loss with this otherwise exceptional book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great training advice, November 10, 2005
This review is from: Daniels' Running Formula - 2nd Edition (Paperback)
This is a great book for runners who are serious about their training. Daniels' training principles are based on solid research, and his presentation of them makes them easy to apply for runners of practically any level and ability. He answers one of the most common questions about training, namely "how fast should I run for this session?" Based on your own race performances, you can use the VDOT tables to find the proper pace for intervals, treshold/tempo runs, long runs etc. Training at the proper intensity is important to get maximum benefits from your efforts. For instance, running intervals too hard (as some runners tend to do) is detrimental to recovery and heightens the risk of injuries.

No running book is perfect, but Daniels' Running Formula is the best in this genre that I've read so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the Better Books on Running, March 25, 2004
It is amazing how many bad books on running are out there. This book is one of the better ones I have read. It defines various types of training speeds and their purposes. They are E(easy), T(Tempo), I(Interval) and R(Repetition). It goes on to tell you exactly how fast and how long to train at your current fitness level. The premise behind this is that you should try to get the most for your training, and you can do this by training at the correct intensity and duration. This is useful for training efficiently and preventing overtraining. Even casual runners like myself can benefit from this book.

Daniels' Running Formula - 2nd Edition
Daniels' Running Formula - 2nd Edition by Jack Daniels (Paperback - October 1, 2005)
Used & New from: $5.04