Published on June 2, 2007 by Daniel Jolley

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe 2.5 stars, really . . .
The storyline had a lot of potential, but the script and acting left something to be desired. Not much of a grabber and it was kind of slow. The ending wasn't as good as it could have been - almost like, a little suspense - then flop, there it is.
Published on September 12, 2008 by Bow Down Before The One You Serve

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An overlooked gem in the crowded field of psychological thrillers, June 2, 2007
This review is from: Danika (DVD)
Marisa Tomei has always been one of my favorite actresses. With that pretty face, gorgeous red hair, and animated spirit, she should be one of America's biggest stars. She's won an Oscar, for goodness' sake, so no one can doubt her acting abilities. Why, then, does it seem like such a rare treat to actually see her play the central role in a film? The woman is fabulous in Danika. Say what you like about the story (it's one of those psychological thrillers, so audience reaction will inevitably be somewhat divided), but Marisa Tomei turns in a gripping, very believable performance.

Every parent (well, every good parent, anyway) wants desperately to protect his/her family, especially the children, so in this respect Danika (Tomei) is basically no different than the vast majority of wives and mothers in the world. All of a sudden, though, her life has taken a turn toward the surreal. She begins having awful visions which lead her to seek psychiatric help after what can only be described as a psychotic episode at work. Not only does she see awful things happening to her husband and kids, she also has psychic-like visions of other kids dying in horrible ways, and these things come about in such a way that she feels as if she could have saved them. This leads her to become ever more obsessive in terms of protecting her own family, and we all know how teens and pre-teens react to overprotective mothers. A lesser actress couldn't have played this role effectively, as the story is surreal and sometimes confusing as the tension builds toward a pretty powerful conclusion.

As with all psychological thrillers, the proof of the pudding is ultimately in the ending. It is possible to figure out, to some degree, what is really going on here - I picked up on it from the preview alone, although I didn't predict the final machination of the emotional climax - but I don't think it matters much whether you figure things out on your own or not. The emotional power of the final minutes is not to be denied, and the whole movie leaves you with plenty of food for thought. It's the kind of ending that viewers will want to discuss with one another after the fact, and I think that is a sign of the story's ultimate effectiveness. Any movie in this genre is going to draw one-star reviews from those who claim not to get it, but I think the majority of viewers will find this movie spellbinding and emotionally jarring.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good family movie, a must for Marisa Tomei fans, she was AWESOME, August 20, 2007
This review is from: Danika (DVD)
I was in blockbuster after not being in one for a while, and lo behold what did I see...a current movie starring Marisa Tomei? She is still doing movies huh. I've been a fan of hers since I was little, ever since I first saw her in "A Different World", without knowing why. Now I know, it's because I've had good taste, duh! She is the most underused and underrated actress I can think of (while writing this review, that is) and wish she would star in more movies. I said STAR, not "appear". I also like phycological and mental thrillers (fight club, momento). Although Danika is NOT in the same league as those two, due to the ending, Tomei makes watching it all the worthwhile. I had to watch it over, because at first I didn't 'get it' .. the ending. It turns out, yep, i 'got it' alright, I was set too high on my expectations. Then I read other reviews and saw it is not just in my head, that this movie "commits cinematical treason" someone said -- by tensing you up, preparing you for an awesome ending, and then .... blah, unsatisfactory conclusion (but makes sense). Enjoy the ride but don't expect a grand ending. Oh yeah, and of course enjoy the treat of seeing a movie that actually stars Marisa Tomei.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy accident, May 15, 2007
This review is from: Danika (DVD)
I picked this movie up wandering around the video store and it looked kind of interesting so I gave it a try. I have to say that I am happy I did. This was a nice diverting hour and a half, although I did figure out the twist ending just before it came. Marisa Tomei was just wonderful in this film as the mom. The movie reminded me a bit of Sixth Sense and later of Jacob's ladder, with elements of both. I was watching this with a sweetie and the film got a real scream out of her while Marisa was putting groceries away. I was told I should have warned her what was coming. Heck, I didn't know. The bottom line here is that this is a pretty good film, has suspense, some gore, and some mystery. Pretty sad though. It might take a while to get over this one. Talk it over with someone you love though. That will help ease the pain. Glad to recommend this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Impressive Thriller, December 31, 2006
This review is from: Danika (DVD)
Relatively new cinematic team of director Ariel Vromen and writer Joshua Leibner pounce onto the scene with a surprisingly fine little film that has basically gone unnoticed. DANIKA is a story that demands the viewer's careful attention and rewards that attention with a finely wrought surprise ending. This is a tough movie to review: almost anything that is said about it diminishes the impact of a fresh look.

Danika (the superb and grossly underused actress Marisa Tomei) is a beautiful, well-dressed successful professional woman, loved by her husband Randy (Craig Bierko) and her children Kurt (Kyle Gallner), Lauren (Nicki Prian) and Brian (Ridge Canipe). Yet even from the opening scenes we can tell something is amiss: Danika 'sees' disturbing things, terrifying events and people that alter her attention to her job and her family. She visits a young psychiatrist Evelyn (Regina Hall) who becomes her confidant - the only person who accepts that Danika is witnessing disturbing sights. A mixture of critical pieces of disastrous events flash before Danika's eyes as well as flashbacks to some years back when her children were young. Danika overcompensates for her fears by being an overprotective mother, an unfortunate trait that begins to fracture her family.

The pace of the film changes to rapid fire events as the reasons for Danika's visions become clear: we finally see just what made this brilliant and strong woman the victim of a terrified and disturbed psyche and the manner in which each of the characters in the story impacts this discovery is well-illuminated. The surprise ending scene is a stunner and one that will haunt the viewer.

Marisa Tomei makes this very difficult, well-written role completely believable. She is an actress of enormous gifts. Likewise the remainder of the cast offers such fine ensemble work that credit must be given director Ariel Vromen for being a young talent on the rise. Yes, there are some portions of the film that beg credibility but then that is what delusional thinking is about. This is a tight little film that deserves attention. Grady Harp, December 06

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe 2.5 stars, really . . ., September 12, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Danika...., December 31, 2006
This review is from: Danika (DVD)
In my oppinion Marisa Tomei is a really great actress...and this movie proves it, she gave a very believeablle performance...I really wouldn't call this movie horror, but deff a thriller, and the endind will blow you away...i never saw that comming

5.0 out of 5 stars AN OUTSTANDING, OVERLOOKED FILM, September 27, 2009
This review is from: Danika (DVD)
DANIKA is a mere 80 minute film I watched a few hours ago and the impact it had on me was immense. Marisa Tomei was simply outstanding in this roll and obviously very believable since I still can't shake the film from my head. I was easily drawn into the plot right from the beginning and it mesmerized me until the very end. I never left my chair! It's been many, many years since a film held my full attention and it amazes me that I never heard of it before. But then it's obviously not a mega-dollar production and it seems like that's the only films we ever hear about these days. I HIGHLY recommend this film and since I watched it on Encore, I'll now have to purchase it to add to my movie library. As a side note, I hear so many people complain that some of their favorite movies are not on DVD. Unfortunately, each time movie formats change, (beta, VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray) we lose a few more outstanding films. But thanks to the premium channels of Encore, I am still able to see those wonderful, forgotten films.

1.0 out of 5 stars Are we there, yet?, October 16, 2011
This review is from: Danika (DVD)
First let me say that I'm a big fan of Marisa Tomei, since Mona Lisa Vito captured my heart, as well as a fan of horror & thrillers. This was the reason for my purchase of this DVD, goaded by the 4 stars, and positive reviews of my fellow Amazonians. That is why I say, shame on you!

I watched the film for about 35 minutes, patiently - bloody painfully - waiting for something to happen. Anything to happen. Nothing but disjointed and disconnected scenes washed over the screen, one after the other, yet there was never a story developing.

Studies on film of the defragmenting of a character's mind abound, but you have to draw the audience in at some point and give the story direction, even in the randomness of seeming insanity. Its failure to pull the pieces together, as well as the unappealing promise to continue to fail until the conclusion, is why I turned it off, and why, I think, I've never heard of this film.

Avoid it like the plague. Marisa Tomei usually takes over any scene she is in by force of will, but here, she is oddly out of place. I think they got her on board because no one else of note would allow the strike mark on their career.

5.0 out of 5 stars One to Remember, January 11, 2007
This review is from: Danika (DVD)
I rented this film out of curiosity because the movie "Night Listener" was rented out so I picked this one up instead. Man, what an ending! Tomei gives her best performance yet, and this film moves along quickly and AVOIDS CLICHES like in all the other films (Grudge, Ring, etc.) where there are scary little kids who see dead people. None of that nonsense here. This is better. IMAGINE "One Hour Photo" with a touch of M. Night Shayamalan mixed in. Not gruesome bloddy horror, but definately some moments that will make you cringe - this film is so realistic that it is TRULY DEEPLY SCARY. This is my movie thriller surprise of the year. If you like this one also check out "November" starring Cortney Cox, or "11:14" starring Rachael Leigh Cook. "Danika" is so good that I have been telling people about it every chance I get. RENT IT, BUY IT, DOWNLOAD IT, whatever. Just watch it!!!! NOW!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars THE FACE OF FEAR, October 19, 2007
This review is from: Danika (DVD)
DANIKA is not really a horror movie, but a psychological tale focusing on Danika (Marisa Tomei), a young mother who is vastly over protective of her three children. Her husband (Craig Bierko) had an affair with their nanny, but now all seems right for the family..until Danika starts having horrifying visions of terrible events that may or may not be real. DANIKA is a complex tale centering on the fear we have that something may happen to those we love. Tomei is effective, as is Bierko and Regina Hall as the kindly therapist. A bit contrived at the end, but not a bad film.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Danika
Danika by Ariel Vromen (DVD - 2006)
$7.99 $5.99
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.