5.0 out of 5 stars More than I expected
Published on September 20, 2009 by Photography lover

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Stuffy
A bit pretentious on what was not pretentious furniture in the 50s and 60s--in fact was alternative. Photos are great, though.
Published 19 months ago by Manya

5.0 out of 5 stars More than I expected, September 20, 2009
Photography lover (Santa Monica, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Danish Modern (Hardcover)
I was absolutely shocked when I got this book. Having many design books, I thought this looked like it could be a good one, however I had no idea that it was going to be as good as it is. The layout and organization are amazingly well done by a team that is obviously extremely familiar with this design genre. This is a present for a friend however you can believe that I'm getting another copy for myself as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars good reference, April 10, 2009
This review is from: Danish Modern (Hardcover)
This book provides an overview of Danish modern furniture. It is agood start for anyone interested in the subject, especially if you were not around during the 50s and 60s. Well photographed and written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference book is also beautiful, May 3, 2010
This review is from: Danish Modern (Hardcover)
The sneak previews didn't give much sense of the book, so I was a little nervous about ordering it. It turns out to be a beautiful coffee table book - but is also an excellent reference. It covers more than the 50's/60's era furniture most often associated with this style - interesting for those who like a little more background on how styles develop.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book., March 15, 2013
This review is from: Danish Modern (Kindle Edition)
I love this beautifully illustrated book. Lots of gorgeous photos and ideas for rooms with a Scandinavian aesthetic. I come back to this often and find a new idea each time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Danish Modern is Pleasant Reading, August 26, 2012
EAmigo (Wilmington NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Danish Modern (Hardcover)
I actually grew up in the 40s and 50s at FLW's Fallingwater where modern design, especially Scandinavian, was and continues to be a part of my nature. So, after embarking on my engineering career I furnished my home with Scandinavian furniture. I bought my first copy of Danish Modern several years ago from Amazon and was enthralled by the illustrations of some heretofore undiscovered Scandinavian designers in the 20th century. As noted, I enjoy a lot of classical Danish furniture and objects shown in the book and if I can believe the auction sites, the fine craftsmanship and design of Danish Modern furniture has more than kept up with inflation. It is a good investment! This book provides an excellent summary of the history of Danish furniture and provides fine examples in excellent photos of the universal design principals therein. I purchased a second copy for myself after giving my first copy to a friend who is more appreciative of Danish design that I am; she is married to a friend from Denmark.

5.0 out of 5 stars like an art appreciation course in a book, July 16, 2013
This review is from: Danish Modern (Hardcover)
i've been learning all i can about the midcentury design movement, i knew the scandinavians were at the forefront, but this book was a deep education showing why and how. the author has a light touch, not overly professorial, so it was a good read

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, December 18, 2012
This review is from: Danish Modern (Hardcover)
A good piece for inspiration. The photos were excellent but probably not enough.The same locations were photographed several times. Given the volume of furniture and the influence of this era I was expecting a bit more.
The text was good and I enjoyed reading it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Stuffy, January 2, 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic book adds little, March 26, 2011
This review is from: Danish Modern (Hardcover)
Collecting Danish modern is an activity that has now spanned several decades. Many titles have been published on the subject during that time, and this one adds practically nothing to the hobby. It presents items that would be unfamiliar only to the newest collector. Worse is the decision of either the author or the publisher to use a cover photo that features very few Danish modern items. It's one thing to use a photo with a mix of vintage modern, but I see 2 out of 6 prominently featured items are actually Danish!

4.0 out of 5 stars We need more design books, March 29, 2013
This review is from: Danish Modern (Kindle Edition)
Please Amazon, as a Designer, as have many interest in the creative area, like fashion design, interior design, graphic design, architecture. We need more books about those topics, because I hate to accumulate so many in my bookshelf, and I like to read them comfortably. Thanks at least for these one, even if it has some flaws.

Danish Modern
Danish Modern by Andrew Hollingsworth (Hardcover - September 10, 2008)
$40.00 $29.17