on November 11, 2011
I'm a police officer in Boise, ID. I bought a pair of these when I first got hired in March 2001. I still wear the same boot today. I've had it resoled a few times over the last 10 years but that's been it. Now, 10 years later, some of the stitching is starting to wear and it's time to buy a new pair for the next 10 years! My feet have never gotten wet from the snow or rain. Even though I bought the insulated boot, my feet don't get hot in the summer where it's usually 90 - 100 from June to August. You can't go wrong with this boot!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 4, 2010
I have owned a pair of these boots since 2003 and wear them every day on the job as a flight nurse / paramedic. I have put these boots through the ringer and they are just as comfortable today as the day I bought them. Seven years later they are still waterproof and I don't hesitate to step in water. While some might say these boots are a little pricey, I don't think $32.00 a year is to much to pay for a top quality pair of boots. The best part about these boots is the ability to have them re-soled or completely refurbished, which I have not had to do yet, but I won't hesitate to do when the time comes.
on July 28, 2011
Verified Purchase
This is the second pair of Acadia boots I've owned. The first pair lasted over 10 years with 3 sole replacements. Very comfortable and durable. The only boot you ever need to buy..
on January 3, 2013
Size Name: 12 D(M) USColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I purchased a pair of Bates lace to toe boots a few years ago and have worn them until the leather cracked. The biggest reason why I purchased the Bates (which are similar to these Danners) is because of the ability to have them resoled. However, I cannot send the boots back to Bates to be resoled, I had to find a cobbler in the area who could resole the boots. Because I cheat when shining the boots the leather eventually cracked.

I've wanted a pair of Danner's for quite some time. I have only worn them on shift four times and the boots are comfortable for being brand new and the thickness of the leather. I used neatsfoot oil on the boots before wearing them to help soften the leather just a little bit. Obviously they were stiff when wearing them the first time, but they are breaking in the more I wear them.

I spit shine the boots and the toe of the boots hold the shine really well. Plus it doesn't take much to put a shine on them either. I typically brush shine every where else. The instep of the boots are a little difficult to brush shine, so I have to hold the brush a little differently. Otherwise, they brush shine and spit shine really well and very easily.

The soles of the boots are quiet when walking on lenolium, tile or even the wood laminate floors (they don't squeak) and I have a heavy foot step so the soles of the boots make my footstep very quiet when completing building searches. I haven't run in the boots yet and don't know how they will react to running, but I'm certain they will be ok. The soles are wider than the boots because of the construction and if you're not careful about where you step, you may catch the sole on something. Otherwise they are an excellent pair of boots.

Plus, I can send them back to Danner to be reworked!
on November 10, 2010
Size Name: 14 2E USColor Name: Black
Fit like gloves the 1st day & gets better W/ time. Warm ,Dry, Durable,reasonably light weight, Best of all Made in the U.S.A. (Inexpensive) Mine last around 5 + years on construction sites and hiking in Tahoe.
on November 28, 2014
Size Name: 11 D(M) USColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I've been wearing boots daily for almost 15 years, first in the Army and then in LE. For many years I bought a pair of cheaper boots on sale once per year and wore them until they fell apart. Good brands too - Nike, Rocky, Oakley - it made sense in my mind. But as the years passed I noticed that my more senior co-workers almost all wore resoleable Danners. I finally bit the bullet a couple of years ago and bought a pair, and bought a second pair this year. Danner Acadias with a good replacement insole is an unbeatable combination. Consistently dry, warm in the winter, cool in the summer. No matter the scuff it buffs right out. The leather is top-notch quality and after a short break-in the fit is perfect. Are they the best for running? Not at all. Are they heavy? Yes. If I'm working a detail where I know I will be inside and walking a lot I will wear something lighter - but on regular shift where I could be running through a muddy field, kicking down a bedroom door, or standing in 6" of flood water I'm glad to have these American-made workhorses on my feet.
on January 18, 2013
Size Name: 10.5 2E USColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I have a pair of Danner HOT RAT USMC boots that, like the Danner Acadia, are American made, stitch-down construction boots with a Goodyear welt sole. A major difference between the Acadia and the RAT boot is the width inside the boot. I ordered two pairs of Acadias in an attempt to find a pair that fit but was ultimately unable to do so due to the boots being too narrow. I first tried a pair in my usual size (which is alwyas a wide width) and they were too narrow. After going up a half size the boots were still too narrow. The narrow fit of the Acadia is a frequent complaint by other buyers and I can confirm that due to the width, the Acadia just didn't work for me.

Additionally, the RAT boot is intended to be worn with a traditional insole (and even includes one) whereas the Acadia isn't. This difference is obvious in the amount of room top-to-bottom inside the boot. There just isn't enough room inside the Acadia to wear the boot with a traditional insole. Instead, Danner intends the Acadia to be worn with a plastic half-size insert with an arch support. I wasn't able to wear the boots I wore comfortably at all, so I can't say how comfortable the boots are with the plastic insert. I can say that I strongly disliked how narrow the Acadia is compared to the RAT boots.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 2, 2011
I don't wear a uniform for a living, never have, never will. Being an ornery sort I don't think I'd do well as a cop, questioning everything and not wanting to do the ruling class's dirty work for them for a mere pittance.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and I have to say these are great boots for anyone. I started wearing these after a roommate who was in AFROTC sold me on them. They're very nice boots regardless of being marketed as a LE/military boot, much different than a work boot and more like a hiking boot. In fact, I also own these in brown sold as the Danner Foothill, which is marketed as a hunting boot and is the exact same except it has speedlaces and comes in basic brown instead of JBT black. Either way, my plain toe Acadias have been through a lot over four years for work and play and they're still going strong.

Pros:

1) They're light and comfortable compared to a work boot. Period. For what you're getting they're incredibly light, I have no idea how Danner does this beyond using a cordura upper to save weight. However, I imagine if you went to these from a tennis shoe you'd find them heavy.

2) They're durable. After four years of every other day wear (I alternate with other boots to extend their life) mine have worn soles but that's about it. I imagine I'll get another year or two out of them before sending them in to be resoled for a nominal cost by Danner just because. I use the Danner boot dressing periodically to recondition the leather and brush off the cordura and that's it. They're as maintenance free as a farm girl and work just as hard too.

3) They're completely waterproof to the shin and that's not hype. I walked two miles to work and back in them today (six inches of snow this morning; six inches of slush tonight) and my feet are bone dry while the cuffs of my pants are iced over. The breathe well also thanks to the cordura upper. I've blown out other waterproof boots in less than a year (their name is real similar to a hockey team up north) and was told by the vendor it's due to grit and dirt working their way into the boot and ruining the GoreTex bootie. My Acadias nearly always have a little bit of Colorado, a little bit of Montana, and a little bit of San Diego on them from work travel and even with neglect the GoreTex is still perfect. Interesting. I've snowshoed successfully with these too if that tells you anything.

4) The Vibram sole is classic and functional and works well on concrete, pavement, and off road. Not so good on snow and ice but what is?

5) The lace to toe means you can snug them down over a thin sock or loosen them up over a thicker sock. Very versatile.

6) Despite not being insulated they're somehow warm. I have cold feet and I routinely wear these with a good wool sock down to +10-deg F with no problem. Below that they get a little chilly.

7) They're made in the US and Danner will take care of you (within reason) if you have a problem. Some people don't care about the made in the US aspect; I do. BTW, I won't buy China made Danners. Read the reviews on them first.

8) Zero break in period. Put them on and wear them.

Cons (these are very minor; these are damn near a perfect set of boots unless you ride horses or climb poles for a living):

1) These have no arch support in any way, form, or fashion. If you order a pair online without handling them I'm here to tell you these are flatter than Kansas on the inside. Ditch the subpar provided "orthotic" and get some quality after market insoles (not from ChinaMart either; I run SuperFeet and Sole insoles in all my boots with great success) with real arch support if you need it.

2) They fit narrow. My understanding is all the US-made stitchdown Danners run narrow, so if you're on the ragged edge of having a wide foot as I am, go for the wide as these are not forgiving at all in width. I ordered a pair of Ds, laced 'em up, pulled 'em on, hobbled around the office for a few minutes, sent 'em back promptly. The wide widths fit great if you have a wideish foot and you can suck down any extra width with the laces.

3) The provided laces suck. Not a big deal. Gutted 550 cord for laces will last longer than my starter marriage and work great too.

4) The TSA loves my Acadias for some reason. I rarely get past the Thugs Standing Around without the Thugs fondling my Danners without dinner and a kiss first and swabbing them down for residue. Maybe it's my overall appearance. Dunno. YMMV.

That's about it. I have four pairs of Acadias (plain toe Acadia, steel toe Acadia, insulated plan toe Acadia, and the Foothill) with hard use and lots of miles on them and they will not die.

Buy 'em if you need 'em for work or play, run 'em hard like they're made to be used, and send 'em back to Danner to be spiffed up as needed. They'll be like an old friend in a few months I promise.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 4, 2011
Verified Purchase
Danner boots have been a foot saver! I have worn two other makes of boots for work. I have worn Hi-Techs and Chippewa boots while working. Those boots were heavy and quickly fell apart. Once I tried on Danner's Acadia boot, I felt as if I had removed the concrete blocks from my feet and slipped into running shoes. The Acadia's definitely cut down on fatigue. These boots are light and durable. I have flat feet and use an arch support insert. I also wear uniform boot socks. These boots provide excellent ankle support. I did try to use the boot zipper with the Acadia but couldn't use them because the boot became too loose. I might have laced them incorrectly! Also, I did buy the Acadia with steel toes but I quickly sold them after one shift of use. I did not like the way my toes felt when I walked around. I have just sent an old pair of Acadias back to Danner to be recrafted (reconditioned). I want to have two pairs - 1 pair to wear while on duty and a pair in my deployment bag. My feet are comfortable while wearing these boots. In my opinion, these boots are pricey but definitely worth every penny. The craftsmanship is top notch. I will never wear another boot if it is not a Danner Acadia.
on November 30, 2011
Size Name: 13 D(M) USColor Name: Black
Danner builds boots. Not jacket's or hats or underwear... Just boots, and they do an exceptional job of it. Certainly Danner's are not for everyone, just like a differnt motorcycle helmet manufacturers different brands fit different people. Danner's are narrow by design, and do tend to run a bit on the flat side in the arch. But if they do fit your foot shape, you will never go back to anything else.

Acadia's are worn by most of the people who are out there protecting you every day. Fire, police, and military personnel are the people who these boots, and in that task they meet all the requirements those professions demand. I've worn the Acadia since 1996 on my job as a professional firefighter/EMT and though I've tried a few other kinds of boots over the years; I always come back to the Acadia. These boots have seen me through 200 degree ground on wildland fires ( NOTE- these do not meet current wildland specs any longer - boots must be full leather)HAZMAT incidents, and more muddy ditches on motor vehicle accident's than I can count.

Are these boots more expensive than a cheap pair of "tactical" boots? Yes, but with a pair of Danner boots you get the ability to have them reconditioned, as well as owning a boot that will outlast almost any other on the market, and they are made in the USA in Portland, Oregon. I still wear my original pair I got in '96 for yard work and such. If they fit your foot, you won't be disappointing in spending the extra money to get the best.
review image