5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Beat Danner. Used on the JMT, August 12, 2014
I bought these boots for the John Muir Trail this Summer. I wanted something that was light enough and I would not have to sacrifice all the things I love about a solid boot. Super durable, waterproof, protects your feet, ankle support, and won't destroy your feet after double digit miles in a day. This boot delivers on all those levels. Out of 7 people that did the whole JMT with us, only me and my brother did not have significant blistering or irritation. My brother was also wearing Danners, basically the hunter version of these called the Ridgemaster.

I will say the fit on these was a little large but I think that goes for most Danners. I got the same size previously in a pair of Explorer 6" boots (also a great boot) and it was a similar story. It ends up working out for me because I put in different insoles. Don't get me wrong, the TFX insole these come with is every bit as good as the superfeet insole I bought. My brother actually just wore his ridgemasters completely stock. Its just the Superfeet fit my foot a little better to this particular boot. I wonder if these could have been even better as a half size down but in the end, it was minimal break in to get these feeling great.

A couple small things that if may, alert the potential purchaser to. These are made in the US but they aren't recraftable like the full stitch-down construction boots. These boots are actually partially stitch-down and appear to be partially glued. No matter, the durability still seems fantastic around the edges although the toe cap did get some separation at the very top. This was only aesthetic though as the boot maintains its capabilities of being completely waterproof. I might add that despite its waterproofing, these boots are great for hot weather still. Cold, maybe not so much but that can be fixed with different socks.

A final warning is that I've had these boots for a few months and the there is definitely wear to the sole. The lugs and everything are still intact but they've gotten some heavy use. I find the wear on the sole completely understandable considering how many tough miles I put on this boot even in that short of time. It appears these Vibram lighter weight gum soles may wear faster than the typical black ones like on my Explorers. However, they do save a lot of weight which is really nice.

Overall, my application for this boot may be a little different then what most people purchase it for, but I think my experience with it proves the capabilities of this boot. This boot can perform at the highest level. In an age where people are switching to flimsy trail running shoes to hike with, it's good to know you can still buy a fantastic lightweight boot that will be comfortable and still keep your feet protected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never taking them off, March 26, 2014
This review is from: Danner Men's Rivot TFX 8" Tan GTX Work Boot (Apparel)
My fiance got me these boots for my birthday and I'll be wearing them for the next two birthdays, at least (should The Creator be so kind). I wear these boots almost everyday and I hike every weekend, 50/50 split between backcountry and blazed trails, and I feel like these boots are going to last a long, long time. Expensive, they are, but you will be getting your moneys worth with these boots as they are going to outlast 2/3 pairs of boots from Walmart (I know from experience) Just a heads up, these boots have no insulation, which is what I wanted because I plan on using these extensively during the late spring, summer and early fall here in VA.

p,s, I'm planning a 3 week hike through the Appalachian Trail, I will update this review if opinion changes for better or worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality boot, March 25, 2014
It's everything I expected. The only thing I can maybe say, is the color of tan on the boot is very light. The boot is almost white.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing, November 28, 2014
I've searched for boots for over a month now. I have very large feet (size 15) so finding comfortable boots is usually out of the question. It's usually just whatever fits. Not only do these fit better than ANY boots i've owned, they are insanely comfortable! Highly recommend them to anyone on their feet alot. I have very flat feet and these don't bother me at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boots, April 4, 2014
I bought then for hiking/casual wear. Perfect length fit, narrower in the toes than I expected, might loosen nicely, I hope. Extremely light with great traction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, January 28, 2014
These boots are amazing. Their premium material is outstanding and they look so good. They are comfortable and well built.

Danner Men's Rivot TFX 8" Tan GTX Work Boot