Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 13, 2013
First off, if I could rate these boots on comfort alone I would give them 5 stars. However, after only 54 days of wear the solestarted separating from the boot at the toe. Unacceptable.
on April 22, 2013
I will begin by saying I really like these boots. They are lightweight, and man made so they are literally machine washable. They are light and comfortable like the Nikes and Rocky C4T, but unlike those, you DO NOT feel rocks poking your feet.

Now the downside. The FIRST time I did land navigation in these boots (I'm in the Army), and had to walk through some really dense, rough terrain, the area of the sole connected to the toe began to work loose from the boot itself. I had to clean them and silicone the seam back together.

Danner did a good job, but needs to do a little R&D on a way to fix this issue.
on June 3, 2013
As a service member i have gone through many boots in my time. For this purchase I wanted a boot that would be lightweight and great for the warm summer. This boot was perfect except for one thing. I order the wide version thinking that I wanted some extra room over my other boots that I had bought previously as normal width. Boy am I glad I did. This boot barely fit my foot width wise even though I ordered the wide version. So if you have wide feet I would highly recommend going with the extra wide version as the wide is more like a normal width.
on March 1, 2016
The moment I lifted these boots out of the box I was amazed at how feather like they are. They almost have no weight to them at all.

Walking in them is great, they are not heavily so this allows you to move in these as if they are running shoes. As a matter of fact, I have running shoes that are heavier.

The build, I can only speak for what I see at the moment. They look great, and you can see the materials are quality. They used metal lace loops all the way up, and metal breather holes. They insoles are very simple but for some reason they are still more comfortable then most (attributed to the weight of the boot is my guess).

So based on my experience with boots of this style, I can say these are going to be an amazing pair of light duty boots. They probably not going to make it long if I breat them to hell, but that was not why I bought them. I stay these mearley by comparing them to actual military boots, looking at the leathers, stitching, thickness, etc. I can't be completely wrong, but we will see how they hold up after some time.

Also I highly recommend spraying them with a water proofing of some kind. It will help in the long run, also my spray made them a shade darker and to me that helped the look even more.
review image review image
on October 20, 2014
I got these for my part-time law enforcement gig. To remain competitive, Danner has outsourced production to the Third World and begun to use the latest technology and materials. I have owned two of Danner's products including the Olympia during my days on active duty in the Army and before that the Danner light hiking boot. Both pairs of boots were excellent fitting, light and long lasting. I doubt these will last two or three years, unlike my previous two pair of Danner boots, both I still own. On the positive side, they are reasonably comfortable and extremely light weight and sneaker like, but with fairly ridged soles. They are comfortable like sneakers and require no break in time. On the less than positive side, they offer little or no toe protection, little ancke and are made like something you would find in K-Mart or Wal-Mart but with a more innovative design and better construction. As far as I am concerned, the jury is still out on these shoes. Ask me in a year what I think of them. UPDATE: I upgraded my review from *** to **** stars. I have worn these for the past few days and we have had a lot of rain locally. 4 and 1/2 inches to be exact. During this time my feet remained comfortable and dry. These accommodate my orthotics very nicely, just as my earlier Danner products did. The still offer little toe protection and minimum ankle support, but they are very comfortable and extremely light! Only time will tell how long they will last and be functional. Now if Danner could resume All American production, maybe we would have something to shout about...
on June 22, 2015
I bought these to replace my UA Valetz (older design) which lasted me about 7 months. I got tired of trying to justify my exchange for a new set so I. Other than the lack of padding in the upper laced portion of the boot (probably to keep this as lightweight as possible) it is extremely comfortable once broken in. It did take me 3 weeks to break in but it does a good job of keeping water out although it's not advertised as being waterproof. I did go a half size bigger and it fits about a half size loose but still comfortable so I would say this boot fit is accurate. It looks like a sneaker at a glance but it provides decent ankle support. They feel great although they could use some insoles for added support of your arch for guys like me with high arches
on May 13, 2014
As mentioned before, when I picked up the box I thought they had forgotten the boots. Very light and comfy foot bed. The real test will come when I have to go to work and wear them for an extended period. Glad I got these over the Nike boots which are more expensive for similar weight
+++++UPDATE+++++
After a week I have to admit these are the best boots I have ever worn since I entered the military in '99. Will tell anyone looking to get new boots and work in an office environment to do their self a favor and buy a pair
on October 9, 2014
Ok so I am just going to say that this boot is a great boot for what it is. And what it is happens to be a true mobility boot unlike the clunky and bulky 'mobility' boots from Rocky I had ordered, the Danner tachyon 8 truly are some of the more comfortable boots I've ever worn with the exception of a small catch nearby the pinky toe which if the size is too small may cause blistering or discomfort. For this reason I suggest you buy your true size and not a size down, however after my most recent refund debacle with returning some Rocky boots I figured a little small was good enough and I started putting to use the same day I received them as I need them for work. As far as the pros and cons I will try to list some off the top of my head:

PROS:
1) Very Comfortable (if correct size)
2) Very Lightweight and can be used for extensive walking about/ staying on your feet
3) Very mobile and athletic feeling. Can be used to go for a jog or train at the gym (I use all purpose).
4) Nice Finish, great laces.

CONS:
1) The tachyon 8 boots have perhaps less ankle support than some would expect from an 8" boot, but it is still not without reason or explanation.
2) The durability may become a question in the future, however based on how well they are performing I would consider buying again if the fell apart in a year.
3) Made in Vietnam, NOT the USA. (They never claim to be though).

In any event, In my opinion I felt that the Pros more than outweigh the Cons in the importance and realistically most of the cons were me being nitpicky and a little strict. The only other think I would have loved to see in this boot would have been a water proof feature but I suppose one boot can't do it all. 9/10 would buy again and give another shot if they fell apart in the next few months, that's how much I like them.
on July 8, 2016
These are fantastic boots if you're looking for something lightweight to move fast in. They are as comfortable as sneakers. Unlike some other lightweight combat boots, the sole is thick enough that you won't feel rocks or gravel poking your feet. Everyone who is looking for a more athletic style of boot seems to go with Nikes or Rockys, but I think the Tachyon is a hidden gem in this category. I wore them every day during 3 weeks of training and had no issues whatsoever.

Pros
-Extremely lightweight
-Thick enough sole with great traction
-Breathable compared to most combat boots
-I think they look good

I would say cons but I don't really have any for this boot; here are some reasons that the boot might not be for you
-I wouldn't count on this boot to keep your feet warm. In cooler weather you can feel the cold air on your feet, and since they're not waterproof they would not be a good choice for cold/wet weather
-Because of the lightweight upper, ankle support is not as good as a more traditional combat boot; this is great for running and mobility however
-While I had no issues in craftsmanship and durability, due to the foamy/sneaker-like sole of the boot and synthetic leather upper, it may not be as durable in certain conditions, such as extensive walking through thick brush/prickers
on September 4, 2014
they just aren't substantial enough. The upper is primarily cordura type fabric, which offers no padding causing some hot spots, especially around the ankle. Maybe that'll break in, but for the money I want something that is comfortable out of the box. I returned these.

I bought and I would recommend the following instead: Blackhawk Desert Ops Boots or Danner RAT Boots. Desert Ops are lighter, and made in China. RATs are durable, re-craftable, and made in Portland OR.