5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes being Radical is a good thing
Published on November 20, 2006 by C. Ryan

1.0 out of 5 stars Final review
I wrote an initial thoughts review on these boots which I am now editing to reflect their performance at the six month mark. And I'm highly disappointed to say that they will be retired this month.

Problems I had with my Danner Radical boots:
Published 12 months ago by becky

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes being Radical is a good thing, November 20, 2006
C. Ryan (Winthrop, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I have 43 years of hiking, backpacking and peak bagging experience. In recent years I migrated, like most people, from all-leather European-style mountain boots to lighter fabric/leather combination boots. They seemed to work well for a while but two years ago I started experiencing significant pain in my toes, instep and heel. I concluded that my lightweight boots from a well known outdoor supplier were a contributing factor, if not the root of the problem because they didn't provide sufficient torsional (side-to-side) rigidity.

Danner's advertisement for the "Terra Force" boot support system convinced me to buy the Radical GTX two years ago.

The first thing I liked about the Radicals was the roomy box toe area that eliminated occasional rubbing problems caused by my prior boots' smaller toe box. There was also plenty of instep space for my high arch. Unlike many boots that now come in a single width the Radical's multiple widths allow a wider fit in the ball of the foot while retaining the snug heel fit that prevents blisters.

The Terra Force torsional support has not diminished after 250+ miles of hiking. Besides day hikes and 2-3 day backpacks I've used the Radicals with good results on off-trail scrambles to summits in the High Sierra and North Cascades, occasionally crossing snow steep enough to require an ice axe. Despite offering much more support than my prior lightweight boots the Radicals are hardly heavier (my size 10.5-EE's weigh 52 ounces). Best of all, after switching to the Radicals my toe and instep problems ceased almost immediately, and my heel problems have gradually diminished substantially, all of which I attribute to the superior support of the Terra Force system.

In my opinion these boots have too many seams and different pieces of leather and fabric, but I'm not marking down my rating because that's how virtually all lightweight, relatively inexpensive boots are made these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hikers that I wear daily, December 19, 2010
Jay PS (Southern NH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Danner Men's Radical 452 GTX Outdoor Boot (Apparel)
I bought these boots in dark brown 6 years ago direct from Danner for $132 shipped. Initially, I thought that I would use them for day hikes and such. While they are definitely rugged enough for hiking and have miles of trails on them at this point, they are not too bulky for everyday use. In fact, I wear these things all the time and after more than 6 years of use, you can hardly tell. I wear them to work, in the yard, out and about, basically everywhere. They have taken the punishment of the trails, the snow, ice, mud, etc. and still look good enough to wear to the office. They are extremely comfortable, light, completely waterproof, and have required no maintenance--not even new laces. I'm a huge believer in Danner boots, I have worn them daily for years at work, but never believed that these lightweight Danners would deliver the way their stitch down leather boots do. I was wrong. While this type of sole cannot be replaced making them in essence disposable boots, with the way they have stood up over the past 6 years, I expect to get more than my money's worth. Take it from someone who is really, really particular about footwear, these are great boots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Everyday/Hiking Shoe Ever!, June 12, 2007
I am very active and have very flat feet & weak anckles. I need a very Supporting/Flexible/Well made shoe. This is the only shoe I have worn for the past 6 years (except for my tennis shoes @ the gym). Water proof, breathable and soft/tough leather.

1.0 out of 5 stars Final review, January 27, 2014

Problems I had with my Danner Radical boots:
1. The soles wore out almost instantly.They were worn to the point of near uselessness by the end of the first month, and at the six month mark the soles are nearly flat. They are now a danger to wear due to the fact that when exposed to even slightly damp ground (such as grass slick with dew) they are as slick as walking on ice. I've fallen twelve times in the last month, on flat and level ground, just walking around my yard. Unfortunately, new hiking boots weren't in my budget till now, and I can tell you I won't be buying Danner.
2. The soles are stiff as boards. I've rolled my ankle more wearing my Radicals than I have in any other boots before them.
3. The laces wore out almost immediately.
4. The insoles are paper thin. Literally thinner than the insoles in my Walmart generic tennis shoes.
5. Value for money is terrible. Columbia boots have gone down hill for years, yet a sixty dollar pair of Columbia Ridgeline boots have thicker insoles, better sole life, and hold up longer.

The one redeeming quality to these boots is the waterproofing. I've never had boots that repel water as well as these, all the way up to the top of the laces. But that hardly makes up for all their flaws.

One star - Would recommend against - would not buy again - would like a refund

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent design, January 2, 2008
Thomas Bauer (Alaska United States) - See all my reviews
I've just worn out my second pair of these boots, and I'm ordering my third pair. I wear these boots almost every day and they are comfortable and dry. They feel good right out of the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best boot value out there in this style., January 3, 2013
atawallpa (california, usa) - See all my reviews
If real estate is "location, location, location," then footwear is "fit, fit, fit." This is the umpteenth pair of the 452 GTX that I have owned (actually the 4th). I thank them for not making changes because this is the best fitting boot I have ever found anywhere, though I don't look at much above this price level. Wearing them every day at work doing 5-6 miles a day and on hunting vacations in bad terrain with some motorcycle riding thrown in they last me a year (I weigh 165#), with the upper discombobulating before the sole expires. A great value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Danner Radical 452 GTX size 8, November 27, 2008
I wear these for work -- an average of 10 hrs. per day picking up recyclables for a major metropolitan contract. This job is extremely tough on footwear. I get in & out of a right-side-drive truck over 1000 times per shift in all types of weather -- everything from 90 degrees down to 20 ( below that, I wear boots ), from sun to downpours, from dry pavement to sandy, cracked & uneven pavement. If there is a flaw, it will become evident very quickly. I've been using these since the beginning of August '08 ( so just over 3 months ). So far, they have proven to be very durable for an item made in China. Construction is solid. The 2 flaws that I have found are the soles themselves & water resistance. My soles are bald already, but these are used exclusively on pavement/concrete/sand. My right foot is the first to touch ground & is bent due to pressing on the gas or brake pedal, thus bears the brunt of abuse. My right foot gets soaked in the rain, while my left just gets damp. In all fairness, I must say that in 5 years of this job, I have only had one pair of footwear that kept my feet totally dry for an entire shift. I should be able to get a solid year out of these, if the soles do not wear completely through -- that is definitely the weakest point of these shoes. I have had workboots in the past that lasted over a year, which is impressive in this business. Next August '09, I'll try & remember to post an update.

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost Good, January 5, 2012
E. Scott (Brooklyn, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Pros: fit, traction, foot comfort, flexibility, stability, light weight.
Cons: Ankle slicing seam that I thought was just a break-in issue, but it's not. Socks look like a crime scene clean up rag. I could wear three pair of socks, but then I couldn't get my foot in the boot. Always liked Danner boots, but all my others were made in the U.S.A.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Outdoor Boot!, June 4, 2012
This review is from: Danner Men's Radical 452 GTX Outdoor Boot (Apparel)
I have been wearing these for the last 5 years and am extremely happy with these boots! I use them for many outdoor tasks including mowing the lawn, landscaping, hiking, and other outdoor activities. These boots are very well built, waterproof, and comfortable. They seem like they will last a very long time! I highly recommend the Danner Radical 452 if your in the market for heavy duty hiker/outdoor boot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, January 30, 2012
Comfortable, grip exceptionally well on slippery surfaces, very warm. I'm very pleased with this purchase and would reccommend to friends.

Danner Men's Radical 452 GTX Outdoor Boot