[quick note - haven't ime to play]
Genetic Algorithms can offer really compelling solutions, or rather stategies for finding solutions, to a huge range of problems. But it can be quite hard work, for a given problem, figuring out appropriate components : the genotype encoding, the mapping from that to a phenotype, a suitable fitness test. Given these it isn't difficult to code the actual GA engine itself (I did this in my Web Beep project a couple of years ago, for applying a GA
I've been reading a series of blog posts by David Karger of MIT based around his ESWC2013 keynote on The Semantic Web for End Users. His thesis is that :
The current state of tools for end users to capture, communicate, and manage their information is terrible (The State of End User Information Management), and The Semantic Web presents a key part of the answer to building better tools (How the Semantic Web Can Help End Users), but Not enough work is being directed toward t
Procrastinating this morning, realise I'd not been in the music room for a while. Didn't feel very creative so set about a problem that's been bugging me for a while. The free Combo V VST is my current favourite sound plugin, modelled I assume on a 60's Hammond draw organ (there's also a Combo F, Farfisa?). But on my current setup, it plays in too low a register. I suspect there might be a way of tweaking it in the EnergyXT DAW I use, and there's certain to be a MIDI transposing VST
Couldn't sleep last night so got up and watched a few relaxing woodcarving videos on youtube. Woke inspired this morning. Most xmases my dad gives me a penknife, and my current carry-everywhere is useful for everything, except not so good for carving.
I've already made a couple of little adjustments to it there, grinding the back of the tip for the first say 1.5cm a lot flatter, giving it more of a point and sharpening it to a keen edge. (It's stainless steel which usually isn't the b
tl;dr for a first concrete application, I've been building Seki up as a CMS. For basic functionality it's now getting close to being usable.
See below : Call for Funding
So I've had a little burst of activity on Seki in the past few weeks. A few blind alleys, but significant forward progress. Overall it's evolving, and the ideas have been crystalizing a little, so I'll lay them out a bit here. I only intended writing a brief update, but then... At some later date I'll pro
tl;dr - KDevelop + Terminator + UglifyJS + Rapper + Fuseki + cURL + Chrome
tl;dr - KDevelop + Terminator + Rapper + Fuseki + cURL + Chrome
I'm now calling my Seki project an application framework, and a primary use case is a Content Management System (I've just about got the core read/write functionality for this working). Such a thing clearly needs access control. This in turn needs user management, authorization and authentication. I've done quite a lot of reading around these aspects, and recently did some work on Stanbol's user management component, so am feeling well informed enough to start implementing. I'm taking a very
The days are getting longer, sap's rising and I'm in a positive frame of mind so seems a good time to jot down what I'm up to. Personal Cruft
A few months ago I went on another bit of a down, and predictably fell back on my usual (lousy) coping strategy, drinking loads of wine. I wasn't working, so have drained all available money. But I've pretty much pulled out of that patch now, regained a bit of optimism and am currently on the wagon. Still living in rural Italy on
A few weeks ago I read an article about making useful audio level measurements. It occurred to me at the time that it'd be pretty straightforward to set up the recommended approaches in software (as a VST), but would also be nice to have a little dedicated unit in the studio. Easiest way would be to cobble together the appropriate analog circuits, though finding a decent true RMS converter might take a while. Then yesterday I was going through some boxes on my mother's landing and came across