5.0 out of 5 stars BRAVO!
This CD is wonderful! I love it more every time I listen to it. The stories in the songs touch the soul and no one can sing them better and convey the emotion than Mr. McDermott. And if you get the chance to see him perform in person , don't miss it---a more glorious voice you will never hear, nor a nicer person will you ever meet.
Published on August 25, 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars a load of......
irish how are ya, only been in ireland once. reviewed by the horse doctor, anyone want to buy a three legged dressage horse?
Published on November 24, 1999 by big rose

5.0 out of 5 stars BRAVO!, August 25, 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich, moving, and magnificent., March 9, 1999
This review is from: Danny Boy (Audio CD)
John McDermott's 'Danny Boy' is a very special cd. As with his other recordings, John captures the spirit and the meaning of the music with an infectious passion that stirs the listener very deeply. The people he sings about are very real, their situations believable, their feelings human. He puts the blood and breath back into their lives and washes away time with the fresh tears of his audience. You can't help but feel for the broken souls of Galipoli in 'The Band Played Waltzing Matilda', or feel John's abiding love for his deceased father in 'The Old Man'. I have the priveledge of knowing John McDermott. I know him as a caring, down-to-earth individual with a heart as warm as his music. When I hear him sing I know that behind that incredible voice he truly feels the music. He intimately knows both the people in the songs and the throngs that pause to listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars His music brings tears to my eyes., July 3, 1998
tduguay@together.net (St. Johnsbury, Vermont) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Danny Boy (Audio CD)
I discovered John McDermott when I visited Halifax five years ago. I purchased DANNY BOY because that was a song that I remembered hearing my brother play on his trumpet when I was growing up. I was moved to tears by the selections on this recording. As a history teacher, I found that such songs as AND THE BAND PLAYED WALTZING MATILDA and CHRISTMAS IN THE TRENCHES brought a whole new life to the "forgotten war." I have used both songs during the unit that I teach on The Great War. I also have developed a love for McDermott's songs of Scotland. Listening to him sing, I feel that I must stand someday on the banks of Loch Lomond. I feel a tug toward the home of my MacLeod and MacAskill ancestors. Of course, the lyrics alone would not make these songs effective. I love McDermott's voice. I wish that I were educated in the area of music appreciation so that I could find the right words to describe his voice. It fills the air around me, and it fills my soul. I purchased this recording as a cassette tape and have played it so often that I have worn the tape out and need to replace it. I can't think of a higher recommendation than that! I went to Nova Scotia in search of my roots and found McDermott instead. It was definitely worth the visit.

5.0 out of 5 stars McDermott can outsing all other Irish tenors put together!, July 12, 1999
This review is from: Danny Boy (Audio CD)
No one can put more feeling into an Irish melody than John McDermott. He's at the top of my list.

5.0 out of 5 stars As smooth as the finest Scottish blend., April 26, 2000
This review is from: Danny Boy (Audio CD)
If one's musical tastes encompass "Irish" tenors, then this offering by John McDermott is positively a "must" (though his land of birth is Scotland, not the Emerald Isle, and he currently resides in Canada).
McDermott's renditions of the old standbys ""The Rose of Tralee", "Danny Boy", "By Yon Bonnie Banks (Loch Lomond)", "The Last Rose of Summer" and "Auld Lang Syne" are as smooth as the finest blend of Scottish whiskey, and will surely bring a tear to the eye (especially if under the influence of said liquid). However, the single best reason to buy this CD is the track, "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda", a heartrending ballad of a young Aussie soldier who fights, and is horribly maimed, during one of World War I's major fiascoes undertaken by British Empire troops, the Galipolli Campaign. It's a long piece - over 8 minutes - but if you aren't singing along with John after having heard the song a few times, then you've no heart whatsoever.

5.0 out of 5 stars First class, March 22, 2000
This review is from: Danny Boy (Audio CD)
Hauntingly lyrical. Read the liner notes; they're worth the price of the CD. The selections are broad and deep. I like to be able to understand the words when I listen to music. McDermott's voice is clear and beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful music to make us remember the horror of all war, June 13, 2000
J. Huber "Beau's mom" (Littleton, Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Danny Boy (Audio CD)
I love the Irish tenors This CD was a bit more than I'd bargined for. It tears your heart out. A voice like that and a subject matter so powerful. I listened to it then went back the next day to listen again. It's absolutely overpowering in it's emotion. Don't expect light entertainment, expect to be moved.

5.0 out of 5 stars OUR DESERT ISLAND CHOICE!, May 13, 2000
This review is from: Danny Boy (Audio CD)
MY WIFE AND I AGREE THAT IF WE COULD TAKE ONLY ONE DISC TO A DESERT ISLAND WITH US, IT WOULD BE THIS ONE (ALTHOUGH I WOULD MISS A BEETHOVEN'S 9TH AND A FEW OTHERS!)
HE 'OWNS' DANNY BOY AND THE LAST ROSE OF SUMMER HAS EVEN GREATER POIGNANCY NOW THAT IT IS ASSOCIATED WITH BOTH HIS FATHER'S AND MOTHER'S RECENT DEATH.
THERE IS NO MORE HEART-FELT TENOR IN THE WORLD.
A MUST ON ANY IRISH MUSIC LOVER'S LIST!

5.0 out of 5 stars On a 1 star to 5 star rating, this CD rates 10 stars, January 13, 1999
dramstad@hcinet.net (Sacred Heart, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Danny Boy (Audio CD)
What more can be said? I have 5 McDermott CD's and this is, without a doubt, the top of the list. Not a listen to background music CD, but rather listen to the stories of the ballads. For many it will be a real tear jerker. OUTSTANDING!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best collection of Irish/Scot ballads available, September 30, 1998
This review is from: Danny Boy (Audio CD)
This collection of music is magnificent in both the quality of John Mcdermott's voice and the subject matter. For those who love ballads this work is unbeatable. My personal attraction was multifaceted too include the military theme, the Irish/Scottish history as well as beautiful ballads. THE BAND PLAYED WALTZING MATILDA and CHRISTMAS IN THE TRENCHES are both beautiful and emotional renditions. My favorite work by far is the powerful song WILLIE MACBRIDE which I hold as an almost sacred lament for fallen comrades.

ARRAY(0x9da562c4)

Danny Boy
Danny Boy by John Mcdermott (Audio CD - 1996)