5.0 out of 5 stars Danzig: Truth is, you only know the lies....
Published on July 4, 2001 by Will Errickson

3.0 out of 5 stars A good album
I like listening to this debut album from Danzig from time to time. It was released in 1988, and ten songs are contained. Glenn Danzig also has a good voice. The musicianship is solid, and all of the tunes are listenable. The music sounds like straight-up rock--it reminds me of AC/DC. "Twist of Cain," "Mother," and "Possession" are the cuts that I consider to be the...
Published on March 21, 2011 by sauerkraut

5.0 out of 5 stars Danzig: Truth is, you only know the lies...., July 4, 2001
Will Errickson (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Danzig (Audio CD)
Glenn Danzig here comes into his own, moving from the schlocky (yet undeniably wonderful) Misfits and the experimental goth-metal Samhain to this hand-picked outfit that sounds like the Doors, Sabbath and AC/DC collided in some frigid, reeking hell. I bought this album upon its release in 1988, having at the time just discovered the Misfits. The visions Danzig here presents are so intense, so sharply drawn, and so gleefully evil that it's a part of me forever.
Unlike many metal bands that have played Satanism either as a lame joke or as license for anti-Christian violence (see the countless black/death metal bands of N. Europe) Danzig knows that the figure of Lucifer is more slippery, more sophisticated than that; Danzig's Devil is amoral, a sensual, pagan force to be reckoned with. Someone once remarked that if Ian MacKaye was early '80s hardcore punk's super-ego, than Glenn Danzig was its id. Too perfect--and perfectly illustrated here.
The opening song is now a Danzig classic, and stands as perhaps his most finely-wrought depiction of the allure, and ambiguity, of evil deeds. "Twist of Cain" refers to the shadow side within us all, a serpent up the spine "that cuts the numbness" and makes us "come alive."
"Yea, took it standing/ Broke commandments/ And he tumbled like a toy/ Blood/ Like a crimson highway/ Spreading out/ From his forehead to the ground."
Glenn's obsession with religious imagery is in full effect here, setting the tone not only for the rest of this album but for all his subsequent works. While some may find it cheesy or overdone, I always found his lyrics and image much more... uh, sophisticated than Slayer or Ozzy or countless other metal bands. He had a lyrical gift rarely found in other contemporary bands, and I think that Jim Morrison influenced more than just his singing. "Not of this World" revels in bizarre, poetic images that resonate in the unconscious mind: "I am the dawn upon your bloody beach." Mr. Mojo Risin' would've found this, I think, irresistable.
With songs delivered in his overwhelming baritone, so seductive, so damning, Glenn really sounds like Satan trying to entice us to do his bidding. Satan's not gonna sound like Tom Araya; he's gonna sound like Glenn at the beginning of "End of Time" or "Soul on Fire."
"She Rides," struts and growls; the demoness who "rides the night" and "slides down inside your skin" is a woman he will return to again and again.
I could go on and on endlessly on the dark delights of this album; the quiet eeriness of "End of Time" with its howl of desolation, "Lost your soul/Doomed and cold"; the raw, ugly, muscular power of "Am I Demon"; the rebellious fervor of "Mother" or the apocalyptic, mysterious, sexually threatening "Soul on Fire."
The demonic braggadocio here is equally tongue-in-cheek and deadly serious, which I find is why I've always really dug Glenn Danzig's work. But rather than reading my review, you could be listening to this album yourself and letting it insinuate itself into your shadowed heart.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got a little Twist of Cain....., August 29, 2009
This review is from: Danzig (Audio CD)
After listening to the Misfits collection 1 back in 1988 or 1989 I immediately tracked down this self titled cassette from Danzig. What you get is a stripped down blues metal album with demonic overtones. I personally love the production that Rick Rubin gave this album. This is the first album that Glenn Danzig appeared on that really brought his vocals to the front of the mix. Glenn has a deep bluesy sound but his voice has a great range. The drums from Chuck Biscuits are awesome. You hear every hit he makes and it thunders in your chest. Chuck knew how to really add drums to Danzig rather than just following the simple rhythm. John Christ has great guitar tones that are truly unique and compliments Glenn's vocals perfectly. There is not one bad song on the album. The album starts with Twist of Cain which sets the mood well. The album varies in tempo from the slower "She Rides" to the faster pace of "Mother". If you like dark music with a hard edge (this is not GOTH) then I highly recommend you pick this up. As a long time Danzig fan, I still revisit this album often but Lucifuge is still my favorite Danzig album!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well I Like It, August 7, 2009
This review is from: Danzig (Audio CD)
Sort of like The Doors sandwiched between The Cult and Black Sabbath with extra cheese, Danzig is not for everyone. But any honest hard rock fan will have to admit that this is a really good record. I think it borders on great.

There's not a boring track here, and everything is produced and mixed PERFECTLY. Seriously, Rick Rubin has made some great records, but this is ridiculous.

I'm not a big Danzig fan, but I'm a big fan of this album. It has a dark, dirty, spontaneous feel, like G'N'R's Appetite For Destruction. It just works. If you like bluesy metal, you gotta love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Evil at its Best, October 23, 2003
This review is from: Danzig (Audio CD)
I've never been much of a Misfits fan, but having heard a few songs from them, I can honestly say that this eponymous band of Glenn Danzig, the singer of that famous punk rock group, is far better. I've been getting into Danzig's for a few months now, buying each album in order to hear the progression they've made. And indeed, with each album, they get better and better (so far, DANZIG III: HOW THE GODS KILL is the best - review to come!). Here, this album is a little rough around the edges, but it is undeniably a great piece of laid-back hard rock.
Glenn Danzig is a very talented singer. He has a powerful voice that carries a sort of Mississippi Delta/New Orleans twang, which complements the bluesy feel to the songs. He's an interesting, if not original, songwriter, most of the songs seeming to gloat how he is evil in one way or another, but with a sort of smirking, sexual, yet altogether tongue-in-cheek crooning. It's like Elvis Presley and Jim Morrison meet Christopher Lee...if that makes any sense.
The riffs and patterns are simple, the subject matter dark and somewhat silly, but this is very good stuff from a fairly straightforward hard rock band. There is a distinctly bluesy feel to the album and many of the songs. Take, for instance, "Twist of Cain." Such a simple and repetitive song, but I'll be damned if it isn't catchy ("Yea, twist of Cain, yeah, drives my brain, yea..." - with the blues rhythm and voice, how can that NOT be catchy?!). Also, "She Rides" is especially bluesy. And of course, there's the now-classic hit "Mother" (which would not gain fame until 1993), with its brief but dazzling solos and, of course, catchy chorus. Just about every song on here is catchy.
In some ways this particular Danzig album reminds me of the Doors (a la the crooning) and AC/DC (the bluesy but heavy rock). However, unlike the latter band, most of Danzig's songs aren't clones of one another.
This is a terrific album. It's catchy and fun; evil at its best.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true Metal classic, February 21, 2010
This review is from: Danzig (Audio CD)
When I purchased Danzig around 1989 or 1990, the metal scene was saturated with hair bands, thrash acts such as Metallica and Slayer were in a creative decline, and Pantera was about to introduce a style that would ruin it for everybody. I bought this album because I was looking for something different and "Mother" was receiving airplay on metal radio, but it was quite a pleasant surprise to discover how good the rest of the record was.

Metal follows trends just like any other music genre, and as a result many bands sound alike. It is pretty safe to say that no other band sounds like Danzig. If you are tired of cookie monster vocals, blast beats, and "technicality", this record is for you. The instrumentation is straightforward and minimalist, and Glenn Danzig's vocals range from howling to crooning, powerful to subtle. The lyrics are poetic and would sound clichéd if sung by any other vocalist, but Glenn Danzig delivers them with depth and emotion. Danzig manages to combine satanic and occult themes, gothic imagery, and sexuality into a unique package. I have heard them played in a strip club ("She Rides"), how many other legitimate metal bands can make that claim?

The record is a gem from start to finish. "Twist Of Cain", "She Rides", and "Mother" are probably the most familiar to metalheads, but other tracks stand out as well. You will bang your head to "Am I Demon" while "Soul On Fire", "End Of Time", and "Evil Thing" are also excellent songs. The mood overall is cold, dark and bleak, sometimes mysterious and ethereal. This is undoubtedly a metal record but one that is heavy without relying on speed or volume. Stylistically, it bears quite a bit of resemblance to Judas Priest during the era of Sad Wings Of Destiny, Sin After Sin, and Stained Class.

No metalhead should ever forget that Danzig carried the torch for years during some of metal's leaner years. In an era dominated by grunge and alternative, the band refused to compromise and gave hope to an embattled metal audience. This is an outstanding debut record and is rivaled only by Danzig IV in terms of quality. It is definitely worth a purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars CANNOT NOT GO WRONG W/ DANZIG, June 22, 2005
This review is from: Danzig (Audio CD)
I have been a danzig fan for years, every band he has been in has been great from Misfits, Samhain to Danzig, I own every danzig album, I have not been disappointed with any of them. The best Danzig albums are Danzig II: Lucifuge, Danzig IV. This album is very good it has one of my favorite songs, Twist of Cain, I enjoy at least 90% of this album, it is a very strong album. Danzig has a great voice and awesome lyrics..Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars This one stands the test of time!, February 8, 2002
FloozyFlapper1926 (Somewhere in the 20's) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Danzig (Audio CD)
This is the first album from one of my favorite bands. I think it's just about the very best Glenn put out though I must admit I like all of them. I remember being 17 and wearing alot of black and hanging out with my friends blaring Danzig out the windows. Now, I'm turning thirty and when I listen to this cd it brings me back. This is one that stands the test of time. Back then, this was a very different style than what most bands were putting out. Still, its some of the best music of that era. Glenn has one of the more unique and distinct voices in music. His singing voice is good on both the ballads and the faster songs. There's not a bad one on this so its easily played all the way through.
My favorites are "Mother", "She Rides", "Twist of Cain" and "Soul on Fire." Danzig is a great band. A stellar first album!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth getting, August 23, 2002
By A Customer
This is the 1st Danzig lp with the "new" name. Taking
Eerie Von from Samhain, John Christ on guitar- who made
a guest appearance on Samhain's finale "Final Descent",
Chuck Biscuits formerly of Black Flag, Circle Jerks, and
other seminal punk act;on drums and of course ol' Glenn himself
on vox. THis is a different sound for Glenn seeing as
Glenn made a career out of horror-punk. While the subject
matter stays true to form- the music takes on a classic
metal/rock approach. Crossing over to the 70's metal of
Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin while mantaining simplicity
in riffing and arrangments. There's plenty of guitar noodling
courtesy of John Christ who unlike players from Glenn's past
is more than just competent at his instrument. Chuck also
fine tunes the rhythm section while Chuck isn't playing thrash
drum lines he shows more than once he has chops more so than previous
drummers of Danzig. What about the vocals you ask?
Well- they are still pretty true to form of Glenn sounding at
times more like Morrison than ever. Most people will get this
because Danzig's top 40 track "Mother" is on here. But there are
some other killer songs: "TWist of Caine", "End Of Time" so forth. Perhaps the track that sticks out the most is "Possession"
which sounds like Samhain could've easily done the song.(And they did I come to find out!) Are there things that bother me about this release? Yeah the guitar could use a little more gain at times it sounds like John is using the clean channel and just
decided to crank the gain instead hitting overdrive. John distortion is your freind! Otherwise this is worth picking up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why the explicit content label???, June 17, 2005
This review is from: Danzig (Audio CD)
I'm just going to get this out of the way because it really frustrates me when they do this. I understand that Danzig's dark and evil music has never gone too well with concerned and controlling parents, but there are absolutely NO swear words to be found on this album - none at all. The reason this bugs me is that I have heard so many records in which cuss words dominate the bulk of the lyrics (i.e. Sepultura's Roots) and yet no Parental Advisory sticker is to be found on the inlay booklet. This tells me that the music advisory board is not doing a very good job of determining what is and what isn't appropriate for certain age levels. On another topic, I love this album.

Danzig (former member of the Misfits and Samhain) premiered in 1988 with this excellent masterpiece, the self-titled debut. Spawning the hit single "Mother", the album went to sell millions of copies worldwide (particularly after the live single of "Mother" was released in 1993). Offering a hard Sabbath-esque metal sound, with the sludgy, gritty pre-Nirvana stoner rock of the time, Danzig would go on to become quite a legend in the world of metal (being one of the headliners of the very first Ozzfest), and gained a large cult following with this release alone. Songs like "Twist of Cain" and personal favorite "Soul on Fire" display brooding lyrics and questionable imagery. Glenn Danzig's vocals, resembling a "metallized" Elvis Presley, are very catchy - probably the best vocals of this sub-genre next to the Ozzman himself. Pounding drums, sludgy riffs and groovy bass all come in to complement - but Danzig's soloing is where the music truly shines.

Following the Cure and the Sisters of Mercy, Danzig truly revolutionized the gothic music scene. If you want to hear the archetype that would determine the sound of bands like Type O Negative and Love Like Blood, look no further.

10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars YEEEEEEEAAAAAAH!!!, November 20, 2004
This review is from: Danzig (Audio CD)
Danzig has never topped his debut album. He has equalled it, but never topped it. This is the cd that will make you a Danzig fan, not any of his later ones. This one is just simple bluesy metal- no razzle dazzle, no B.S. And I believe this cd has a record number of "yeahs" on it. A few years back during one of my dating dry spells I had nothing better to do than count the number of times Glenn said "Yeah" on this album. It's been many years, but I believe the number is either 68 or 63. And contrary to some beliefs, I don't find this album boring at all. No matter how hard I try, it just doesn't bore me. I had the pleasure of being corrupted by this album at the age of 12 when I caught the video for She Rides. My knowledge of metal was limited back then and I can still remember being confused by the video. I see this musclebound Conan-looking dude singing like Elvis Presley with girls dancing all around him and I thought to myself, "Who the hell is this guy?" I'm glad I explored that further coz I became a huge Danzig fan after that. That is up until his ego kicked the band members out. I liked these band members, I liked John Christ just as much as Danzig. Then Glenn thought he could just record any crap and his devoted fans would buy it. Not this fan, NOSIREEBOB. My advice to a newcomer is to grab this cd first, then work your way up to Danzig 4, then for god's sake leave them alone! Go back and get Misfits and Samhain albums. But there's no denying just how great this debut is. If you really want to treat yourself to something special, get up off your Hostess behind and get this sucker.

Danzig
Danzig by Danzig (Audio CD - 2007)
Rate and Discover Movies