5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent new Pride and Prejudice alternate story!
"Mr. Darcy's Obsession" is Abigail Reynolds' first new book in what seems like way too long. Her other Pride and Prejudice alternate stories are excellent and this one's no exception. After the wait for a new story, I was definitely not disappointed.

Published on September 24, 2010 by M&M

3.0 out of 5 stars + 1/2 stars for trying a new approach.
Published on December 5, 2010 by J. Lesley

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent new Pride and Prejudice alternate story!, September 24, 2010
M&M (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mr. Darcy's Obsession (A Pride and Prejudice Variation) (Paperback)

In "Obsession," Darcy never has a chance to propose to Elizabeth and leaves Rosings with an aching heart. Nearly a year later he learns that Mr. Bennet has died leaving the family in dire financial straits. Circumstances have forced Jane to marry a local shopkeeper, and Elizabeth is living in London as nanny for her aunt and uncle's children. Now her situation is even more beneath Darcy's than before. What will he do?

Although he knows he should stay away, Darcy can't help himself. At first he tells himself he'll just check on her, but when the opportunity presents itself, he "accidentally" runs into her in the park. During their talks, Elizabeth begins to see another side to Darcy, but of course, many misunderstandings ensue which threaten to separate them forever. In spite of the many opportunities Darcy has to walk away, he looks into those fine eyes and he's lost again.

What I love most about Abigail Reynolds is the way she brings Darcy and Elizabeth to life. After reading one of her books I feel as if I've just stepped back into the world they inhabit and we've had a good chat. The dialogue between them is a delight to read. Elizabeth continues to be witty and down to earth while Darcy is becoming more human as he learns to put the needs of his heart ahead of the approval of his family and society. Ms. Reynolds has also added some interesting, lively new characters to the mix as well as breathing life into some who are mentioned in P&P but never developed. They seem so real that they fit right in.

Clearly, this author has great affection for her characters. In fact, I'd say she's somewhat obsessed with Darcy and Elizabeth - and I'm glad of it. I'll be anxiously awaiting my next opportunity for a visit to Pemberley, and in the meantime, I'll have to satisfy myself with rereading some of Ms. Reynolds' earlier books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A NEW Pemberly Variation, September 26, 2010
Eee (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
Mr Darcy's Obsession is a new Pemberley Variation, previously unpublished.

You've probably already read the synopsis, so I won't bother to repeat much of it here - Elizabeth's father dies, so there is no proposal at Hunsford, no opportunity to meet up again at Pemberley, rather Darcy finds her in London, staying with the Gardiners.

The romance in this book is not explicit. I know that lots of readers want something more explicit, but I think you should give this a try. A touch, a look, descriptions of feelings really point to Reynolds' skill as a writer, and these can be even more arousing than outright descriptions of intimacy. It really is delightful, and appropriate for a wide range of readers.

The characters are wonderfully drawn - obviously Elizabeth and Darcy, but the rest of the characters as well. Some really entertaining and wonderful new additions to the P&P storyline.

It is the case that this particular publisher, Sourcebooks, reissues books with new titles. I don't really see the point, however, of dissing the author in reviews of the book. The author usually has no control over these practices and even little control of what appears on the cover, and the publisher wants to sell as many books as possible. Rather than leaving poor reviews, why don't you just ask the author - most of the Sourcebooks authors are accessible via blogs, have pages at Amazon and so forth.

By the way, this is a NEW publication, however. I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

3.0 out of 5 stars + 1/2 stars for trying a new approach., December 5, 2010
I was thoroughly enjoying this novel during the first stages because of the interesting approach of changing the Jane Austen version of events to have Mr. Bennet die. Those of us who are familiar with Pride and Prejudice understand what a profound impact that situation would have had on the story line. Here, Mr. Bennet has died and Charlotte and Mr. Collins have taken over Longbourn, Mrs. Bennet and the girls have moved in with her sister in Meryton, Jane has married a tradesman but still lives in Meryton and Lizzie is living with the Gardiner's in their home in Cheapside. Darcy tries to stay away from Lizzie but then discovers that she goes out for a walk early each morning. He contrives to meet her.

This story is presented primarily from the viewpoint of Darcy with only small segments of it from Elizabeth's perspective. Still, I was enjoying the story which gave me an indication of how much Darcy loved Elizabeth and how much he fought against that love, for reasons of family pride and social standing. Then it all began to devolve into a fairy tale with improbable new characters who were allowed to act in completely unrealistic ways for the times. There were evil relatives counterbalanced by worthy and kind and good urchins and servants. Lydia was still her same selfish self but with a problem that Darcy could solve. In fact, Darcy solved every problem for every single person in this story. It's a wonder the poor man didn't find himself on the verge of bankruptcy. He handed out money like it was water. And if Darcy wasn't giving out money then another good relative was sprinkling the fairy dust over situations right and left to make them come out with a perfect Happily Ever After emblazoned with sparkling lights and twittering bluebirds of happiness. There is really nothing wrong with all of this creativity unless you prefer your Austen continuations or adaptations to stick closer to the original, which happens to be the side of the fence I find myself on.

This wasn't a bad story, there were just too many different tales and strings that all had to be wound up into a ball to get the whole thing corralled for an ending. And all of that took too long. And what in the world was that with the way Bingley acted with Jane while her husband was on his deathbed? That was not the action of the kind, sweet, considerate Bingley from Jane Austen. That was a spoiled modern character who just wanted what he wanted and he wanted it right then. Who cares about Jane's reputation? Certainly not Bingley. My final assessment is that there were too many plots, sub-plots, and prominent characters in this story both from high society and low society. And for those of you who like to have this information, the story is completely chaste. There are no scenes of a physical nature between Darcy and Elizabeth except for several kisses. Personally, that is the way I prefer my Pride and Prejudice variations.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, November 7, 2010
I have bought and very much enjoyed every one of Abigail Reynolds' previous efforts and looked forward to this one. However, I was really disappointed with this effort. Reynolds specializes in clever alternative P & P versions and she excels because she is very good at laying out plots interesting ways - until this book, which just plods along. It's as if she got bogged down somewhere in the process of explaining why Darcy and Bingley would turn against early 19th Century societal and class rules. She repeats herself a lot. Ultimately, this strenuous effort bogged down both the plot and the words. The book needs better editing to tighten things up.

Although Reynolds is also known for spicing up P&P, this book doesn't have any overtly sexual scenes (this was also the case with "From Lambton to Longbourn".) They wouldn't have made any sense since Elizabeth is determined not to become a mistress and Darcy is determined to make her his wife.

Although I'm sorry that I bought "Mr. Darcy's Obsession", I still look forward to Abigail Reynold's next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very different and very good, June 17, 2011
J. Caldwell (Faribault, MN USA) - See all my reviews
The problem with writing variations on Jane Austin's "Pride and Prejudice" is that authors can be trapped by canon. Very few writers can overcome this trap better than Abigail Reynolds. If you truly love the characters in P&P and not just the plot, buy her books, especially this one. For those of you looking for a "clean" book, don't let the title scare you away. While Reynolds writes honestly about the corruption of morals in London Society, she does so with care. Regency fans, add this to your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as obsessed, October 6, 2010
I think it might be I who is obsessed with Mr Darcy, all these different variations are just pure escapism.

In this one Mr Bennet died, the Collins' moved into the house, Jane married a shopkeeper to help out her family, and Elizabeth went to London to help with the Gardiner kids. Mr Darcy never proposed because Elizabeth left before he had time too. But Mr Darcy just can't her her out of his head. He sneaks around a bit and manages to meet her by "accident" one day, and they start talking. Some women you just can't let go.

Oh this book sure held a few surprises here and there, concerning secondary characters. I loved it because I never saw them coming. Reynolds takes artistic freedom and changes things that happened and make this story hers. While keeping to the Austen vibe. Without saying to much the surprises include Lydia, Georgiana, and a new character you will meet. She manages well there.

There are also new people, Charlie, a kid living on the street, and here Darcy does show his heart later on. Aunt Augusta who says what she wants, and Lord Derby, Darcy's uncle and a jackass. And of course there is Bingley, the Gardiners, and Jane.

I liked how Darcy sneaked around in this one and wanted to see Elizabeth and making it seem like total accidents. He just couldn't let go, and he was also a gentleman. She does fall, but of course there is that big Wickham hurdle to overcome. There is romance, aww, and a lot of drama with certain characters. I am sure you can guess who will cause the biggest scandal.

What I liked the most were the surprises, I just could not guess certain things. In some variations it's pretty easy and you know who will marry who, even with all those I have read. But this one brings something new. And as a Variation obsessed woman I enjoyed this book.

Final thoughts: I always loved that he never gives up and wants her even though society frowns upon it.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars! What if Darcy's Ill-Fated Proposal at Hunsford Never Happened?, September 30, 2010
What if Mr. Darcy, even though he was completely enamored and entranced with Elizabeth Bennet, hesitated to declare his love? What if Elizabeth left Hunsford without receiving Mr. Darcy's proposal? What if Mr. Bennet passed away and Elizabeth's place in society became even more inferior to Mr. Darcy's?

Fast-forward two years from Elizabeth's visit to Hunsford Parsonage, we encounter the Bennet women destitute and homeless. Jane, being the dutiful daughter she is, marries a local shopkeeper to help support her family; Elizabeth goes to London to assist with rearing her Aunt Gardiner's children; and Mrs. Bennet and the youngest Bennet girls reside with their Aunt Phillips in Meryton. When Mr. Darcy discovers that Elizabeth is living in London he is tempted to seek her out to determine if she safe and happy. Yet, after ascertaining Elizabeth's comfortable albeit dependent living situation, Darcy finds he cannot resist the temptation of renewing their acquaintance.

Darcy starts accompanying Elizabeth on her early morning walks and a mutual regard between them starts to develop. Although there is more amiability and less animosity between Darcy and Elizabeth this time around, other negative factors arise. Such as Darcy's profligate and domineering uncle, a matchmaking Uncle Gardiner, and of course, Lydia... doing what she does best! Darcy struggles between his growing love and affection for Elizabeth and her family's increasing degradation, and he must decide, once and for all, which will he regret most: infuriating his family or ignoring the yearnings of his heart...

Ever since Abigail Reynolds first self-published her five Pemberley Variation novels three years ago, her devoted admirers have been fervently waiting for her next new novel. (Myself included!) It was a delight to once again experience Ms. Reynolds's enthralling prose, faithful yet emotive characterization, and tension-filled plots. Similar to From Lambton to Longbourn, there are no mature and intimate scenes between the characters; this will please many readers who prefer to stay out of the Darcy's bedroom. However, do expect to find several tender, chaste, and beautifully romantic scenes between our infatuated Darcy and his beguiling Elizabeth. As always, Ms. Reynolds's distinctive and ardent portrayal of Mr. Darcy makes me go weak in the knees and fall in love with him all over again!

While I did greatly enjoy Mr. Darcy's Obsession, I couldn't help but feel that the premise wasn't as plausible as Ms. Reynolds's other novels. Since Darcy never received a rejection from Elizabeth, how were his arrogant and prideful ways reformed? How could Elizabeth, who previously held Mr. Darcy in contempt, all of sudden welcome his company? Perhaps the lapse of two years has subdued their prides and prejudices...

Mr. Darcy's Obsession is an adventurous variation that explores a different route with our beloved Pride and Prejudice. In my opinion, it is one of Ms. Reynolds's more exciting novels complete with a street urchin spy, libertine uncle, eccentric aunt, many damsels in distress, and an honorable and praiseworthy hero! I most emphatically recommend!

Austenesque Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay story but far from being her best, November 18, 2013
Having finished this book for the second time, I was still a bit disappointed with it. I read the paper edition because I feel the kindle edition is overpriced. It's hard for me to pay $10 for a kindle edition unless I feel sure that it's a excellent book. This one does not qualify and I will not read it again.
I found the story very heavy and weighted down without much joy. Something seemed to be missing in the Darcy/Elizabeth relationship. Removing all of the villains from the original story was also a negative for me. The uncle and cousin who were the villains were much too vile for my liking but the addition of Aunt Augatha was a plus.
It would have been nice to have included in the epilogue a little more information on Darcy family. What happened to Georgiana?
What about Darcy & lizzy's children?
Would hesitate to recommend for the $10 price tag.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Passable P&P Redo--3 1/2 Stars, January 12, 2012
This is my third romp through P&P continuation/redos, and I've yet to find one that I've found a perfect mix of canon and new, original ideas. I think I've been ruined by my massive exploration through fanfiction of this fandom and many others on the internet. I keep waiting to find a unique premise, or for authors to take some more risks. It's important to keep the integrity of the characters and time period, but I like premises with twists I can't see coming a mile away. So far, I've only found nice, interesting takes on the characters and time period, but no real risky premises as of yet.

This one had going for it a nice angst-ridden premise that looked promising, but everything worked out so perfectly, it ruined that time of struggle for the Bennet family. Every single ending I saw coming from so early in the novel.

For some reason this premise grated on my nerves. I think it exacerbated the one issue Elizabeth herself had with marrying Darcy-- that her family was so below his own. Elizabeth is so proud, I can imagine her feeling too embarassed by all Darcy had to do for her family to let him do so. In the details, I think she was a good Elizabeth, but in the whole novel, she seemed too willing to go along with Darcy. (Except of course when she misunderstood his first proposal.)

I did heartily enjoy all of Darcy's relations and their own plots. Because there were so many, I admire Reynolds ability to make them all so interconnected and interesting. Reynolds writes with a great expressiveness, but not too much description for it to feel bogged down. It was very short and sweet, which I always appreciate in novels that could have been hundreds of pages longer (and much worse.) So I gave her a 1/2 star higher than I would've for this decision.

In the end, I just couldn't get excited about this novel. There were no surprises, and no novel ideas I haven't already come across in novels or fanfiction. I would recommend it for first timers into this genre for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as the Original, April 10, 2011
I came across a Book called Mr. Darcy's Obsession by Abigail Reynolds and was intrigued. It is a retelling of the story of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. In this story, Elizabeth is even more unsuitable for Mr. Darcy, having lost her father and is near to impoverished.

There are some bits that mirror the original piece and some that don't. Ofcorse without having read the original yet, I can't say for sure what was Jane and what was Abigail in the work. I do know that the style of writing is easier to digest for the more modern reader. The plot moved well, the characters were believable and the writing coherent and moving. Even though the characters were not her own, the way Abigail got you into the story was superb. I could hardly stop reading, even with my eyes twitching from the glare of my computer screen. She draws you in and really makes you feel what the characters are feeling.

I would certainly recommend this story to any lover of Romance, especially if you enjoy Jane Austen's work, but even if you aren't or haven't ever read her work.

Mr. Darcy's Obsession (A Pride and Prejudice Variation)
Mr. Darcy's Obsession (A Pride and Prejudice Variation) by Abigail Reynolds (Paperback - October 1, 2010)
$18.99 $15.07