5.0 out of 5 stars Covers Maintenance, Safety, & Minor Fix-Its
Published on September 1, 2005 by Virginia Allain

1.0 out of 5 stars worst purchase ever
Published on August 23, 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers Maintenance, Safety, & Minor Fix-Its, September 1, 2005
This review is from: Dare To Repair Your Car: A Do-It-Herself Guide to Maintenance, Safety, Minor Fix-Its, and Talking Shop (Paperback)
This book comes to the aid of women (and men) who don't have a clue about their car's interior workings. The authors don't claim to be experts, but consulted mechanics, government agencies and car manufacturers to get the info a novice needs. It tells you what to check if the heater isn't working, and what to do if you get a flat tire. Preventive tips like checking the air pressure in the tire and checking the oil get covered as well.
There are do-it-yourself as well as do-it-for-me sections, so you will know what you can tackle or what you need help with.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can do it Girls!, November 10, 2005
Photo Jo (Barksdale AFB, LA) - See all my reviews
This is a really good guide, not only is it for girls who dont know what a dipstick is, but its also for men and women alike, who have a basic understanding of the inner workings of their cars and would like a guide book to help them with repairs. Every chapter in the book has a do-it-yourself section where you can learn to replace your fueses or clean your fuel injectors. There is also some preventitive maint tips to keep your car from NEEDING un-needed repairs. The diagrams are pretty dumbed down, which can get a little annoying at times, but its good so even the novice can understand, and its fairly obvious the book was written for women (aside from the Betsy on the cover) because the text has a bit of a girly feel to it. There are a few blurbs here and there with some cute humorous parts to it, which makes this also a fun, enjoyable read.

This is a great book to have around the house for when you need it. My husband is currently in Iraq, and with him being gone Im in charge of repairs of the house, and our two vehicles, and this book has already saved me!

5.0 out of 5 stars dare to repair: a do-it-yourself guide to maintenance, etac, October 17, 2005
Great book! We bought it for our daughter who lives 250 miles away. Now she has the ability to figure out what is happening under the hood, if it can be fixed, how it can be fixed and how involved the repair will be. I don't see her putting her head under the hood and doing the reapairs herself anytime soon, but it surely makes her a more informed consumer when she heads for the repair shop.

1.0 out of 5 stars worst purchase ever, August 23, 2011
I am very glad that I spent very little on this book. It was a waste of what I did spend. One would think, that by looking at the cover and title, that this book would be about actually working on your car. It is not. It basically tells you to take your car to the mechanic every other page. I was very excited when I first opened the book, and flipped through the index, and it had a section titled "DIY: clean your fuel injectors" I was wanting to do this so I flipped to the corresponding page. It described how to pour injector cleaner into the gas tank.
I kept on flipping through, and found more wastes of time,and even some incorrect information.
I used to own a copy of "Auto Repair for Dummies" I intended to order that, but ordered this instead because it was cheaper. Auto Repair for Dummies tells you how to work on your own car so you can avoid most expensive mechanic fees. Do not waste your time on this book! BLEH

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for Beginners, September 18, 2007
Dew Drop (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I'm finding this book useful, practical, and empowering. Not only do the authors explain how your car works, they describe how to do the work yourself or seek a mechanic's services confidently. The book is easy to read, yet doesn't talk down to the reader.

2.0 out of 5 stars To pretty, not enough substance, January 5, 2011
I was very disappointed with the item and ultimately returned it (and I never return anything from Amazon!). I spent about 30 minutes reading through the book when it arrived, but it seemed to focus more on "go ahead girl, you too can fix your car" and less on "this is how you actually fix your car." I could have done less with the girly font, and more with useful diagrams and pictures. The text is dense and pictures few.

I also bought "Auto Upkeep: Basic Car Care, Maintenance, and Repair" by Michale & Linda Gray and it is awesome. I have now been using that book, and it really helped me when I went to the mechanic last week to argue for a fair price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unnecssary Dumbing Down, December 8, 2010
Paige (Cincinnati, Ohio) - See all my reviews
A car repair book for women, filled with plenty of pictures and basic instructions. Sometimes the information was too simple - like the section on putting gas in your car.

There are better books, like "Recipes For Car Care," which offer simplified information without mocking the reader's intelligence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the Novice, September 20, 2008
Kira (Oakland, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as a gift to my friend who literally knew nothing about owning a car. She couldn't even check the oil, had no clue about even making sure it was maintained. I looked through it, and it's really a great book. It covers all your basics and some advanced stuff. I was raised to know how to maintain a car by a proactive Father, but I even learned some helpful stuff just through glancing through it. I just got my own car and plan to order a copy of this book! I think it'll be extremely handy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Stereotypes, November 18, 2006
A. Williams (Saint Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
This book supports the cultural assumption that all men know everything about cars. I'll give one example of how shallow it is. I looked up the section about if you're not getting any heat in your car. It states that you may have a problem with heater core, a valve, or the motor itself. It then shows a diagram with no illustration of the valve they're talking about. Left hangin.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential part of my car kit!, June 3, 2014
This book is well organized, easy to read, and packed with excellent information! Lots of tips and tricks, from finding the right mechanic to keeping your car in dealership condition. I recommend it to anyone!

$15.99 $11.93