Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on March 1, 2013
Daredevil By Mark Waid Vol. 1 HC collects:

- Daredevil #1 to 10 and 10.1 (2011 series)
- Amazing Spider-Man #677

The extras include 14 pages worth of material:
- Spotlight interview with author Mark Waid.
- Paolo Rivera sketchbook full of original pencil pages and creative process demonstrations.

* * * * * OVERVIEW * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Following the critically acclaimed runs of Brian Bendis and Ed Brubaker that pushed Daredevil to edges we haven't experienced since the Frank Miller days, and after the ill-fated Andy Diggle run that unsuccesfully tried to take Matt Murdock even further, comes Mark Waid. So what does Mark Waid do? Exactly the opposite!

I'll admit that I was at first reluctant to the idea of a light and carefree Daredevil, as I'm very much used to a gritty and hardboiled hero. But Waid manages to deliver an incredibly fresh take on the character, and while on the surface this Matt Murdock may seem like an easygoing do-gooder, he remains at his core as complex and intense as we know and love him.

Mark Waid takes Daredevil to new territories, pairing him up against unusual adversaries like Spot, mega-criminal organizations AIM and Hydra, and two particular Marvel villains that I won't mention to avoid spoilers. I really can't praise Waid's efforts enough: he reminds us once more why he's such an essential contemporary comic-book author.

* * * * * ABOUT THE ART * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The art is truly amazing, mainly featuring the talents of Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin, as well as Kano, Khoi Pham and Emma Rios. Rivera and Martin are incredibly accomplished artists and storytellers, giving not only life and vision but also design to Waid's scripts.

* * * * * ABOUT THE EDITION * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This is a high quality book, featuring sewn-binding, glossy paper stock and excellent quality printing with sharp art reproduction. The sewn-binding allows to read the book comfortably with no gutter-loss at all, so you can fully appreciate the wonderful art.

Unfortunately the paper stock is not as great as previous Marvel hardcover editions: this is a lighter weight kind of stock. I won't go as far as to say it's flimsy, because it's good quality material, but my main complain is that it lets you see through the pages a bit when the art features blank spaces in the page layout design.

Also, unlike previous hardcover editions this book does NOT include metal engravings printed on the front and spine of the book that you can see when you remove the dustjacket. Instead, it features a nice matte full printing (which unfortunately is a bit pixelated due to the enlargement of the image, but nothing really serious, just a detail). While I definitely miss the old look, I think is one also good on its own.

* * * * * CONCLUSION * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I recommend this book both to newcomers and old veterans alike. Mark Waid brings the glory back to Daredevil and already shapes up as the next great writer of the title, following Miller, Bendis and Brubaker.
66 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 6, 2012
Celebrated comic book scribes have come and gone on DAREDEVIL, and call it the Frank Miller influence but they'd all pretty much bestowed ridiculous tough love on Matt Murdock. The Man Without Fear has been thru some bleak times. To quote Matt: "It has been a miserable last few years. And every time I thought I'd finally hit bottom, God somehow found me a bigger shovel."

Off the top of my head, there are two veteran comic book writers whom I absolutely respect: Ron Marz, the Top Cow's main architect who's demonstrated longevity on WITCHBLADE, and Mark Waid who's been doing big things with BOOM Studios' IRREDEEMABLE and INCORRUPTIBLE. And I loved their run over on the defunct CrossGen company. But here's Mark Waid now to kick dirt on what Frank Miller has wrought on DAREDEVIL, and maybe it's time someone did that, do away with the nonstop doom and gloom. Daredevil's fall from grace during the Shadowland arc had me wondering in what direction they would take our blind vigilante. Waid aims to let in some sunshine on Matt Murdock's corner of the universe. The result is perhaps 2011's most unexpectedly successful comic book title.

Remember those early, pre-Miller years when Daredevil actually exhibited a sunnier disposition? This was back in the day before the comic book medium got all post-modern and started focusing on depicting gritty, realistic stories. Mark Waid brings back the Silver Age sensibility. He reintroduces Daredevil's zest for life and his swashbuckling demeanor. He makes him into a more lighthearted adventurer. And so what if it's Matt Murdock purposely wallowing in self-denial? Criminy's sake, dude was just possessed by a demon and forced into performing heinous deeds. He's entitled to a break.

Matt's back in New York City, back from who knows where. He and Foggy Nelson are intent on reestablishing their law firm. But Matt's step back into the court room is confounded by opposing counsel's constant mention of his crimefighting alter ego. Yes, plenty of people still believe Matt is Daredevil. This compels Matt to come up with a new way to practice law. But is it completely above board?

There's optimism now, and brightness and a renewed sense of adventure, and you get a whiff of all this from the opening moments of the revived series' first issue, as Daredevil crashes a mob wedding and foils an abduction attempt by the Spot (and then plants one on the bride). Waid is such a solid storyteller; he knows pace; he writes sharp dialogue. He has a way of presenting his protagonist as heroic without being pompous. That opening sequence is Waid's gambit in a nutshell. Lighten up the ol' hornhead.

Foggy - who's in on Matt's devilish alter ego - isn't sure he's down with Matt's suddenly carefree philosophy. He's waiting for the other shoe to drop (maybe we all are). That doesn't happen in this volume. Instead, Matt's civilian job has him taking on a police brutality case and a wrongful termination case. This last one presents Matt and Foggy with a blind client who had inadvertently uncovered a sweeping conspiracy connecting five superterrorist organizations. That makes him a desperately wanted man.

It's no coincidence that both cases have Matt more directly involved as Daredevil. As such, he ends up tangling with Klaw, Master of Sound, and with a paid assassin called Bruiser. Bruiser is a metahuman who can shift his center of gravity to any part of his body. Bruiser is interesting in that his ultimate goal is to fight the Hulk. As such, he's steadily working his way up the ranks of superhumans, each adversary more powerful than the last. Bruiser has a check-off list. He even writes a blog about it. In their first scrap, he wipes the floor with Daredevil. Matt, hey, easy on the hubris.

The tandem of artists, Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin, brings a vibrant and dynamic aesthetic. Rivera handles the first three issues, with Martin picking up the three after that (Martin also draws the backup story in issue #1). These two cats complement each other perfectly, both favoring delicate yet lively line works. Credit Waid for a lot of this series' newfound success, but don't sneeze at Rivera and Marcos's contributions. I particularly love how they visually translate Daredevil's radar sense. This allows us a peek into how Matt's enhanced senses interpret the world for him. Pages 4 & 5 of Martin's issue #1 backup story transforms Matt and Foggy's simple neighborhood walk into an exquisite visual treat, partly because we get to see what Matt "sees." It's a joy nowadays to read this title, sir. There's that sense of escapism again. Next thing you know, Waid'll have DD back in nostalgic black and yellow threads.

DAREDEVIL collects the first six issues of the relaunched series. This volume also reprints two interviews with Mark Waid (one of which concerns his return to Crossgen's old RUSE series). Added bonus features present several variant covers, a sketchbook by (and interview with) Paolo Rivera, and a two-paged layout in which Paolo walks us thru his illustrating process.
on February 2, 2012
First, speaking as a DC Comics fan, I didn't expect to actually like this book. Daredevil isn't one of those characters I consider to be an end-all, be-all of the Marvel Universe when there are more iconic characters around (Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, etc.). But this book took me by surprise.
Mark Waid is one of my favorite writers working today, so I naturally had to give this a shot when it came out. I haven't looked back. I'm now a regular Daredevil reader. Never thought I'd say that.
I don't want to spoil the story for you and I think it's been covered by other reviewers, I'll just put it as simply as I can: this is a great book!
It's especially great for people who might not have given Daredevil a shot before. It does contain some references to events that played out in previous story lines, but don't let that scare you off. Those events have little or nothing to do with what's happening now. This story is geared for those just getting into the Man Without Fear.
It doesn't mean this won't please long-time Daredevil fans, though. There's plenty of what made Daredevil fun and exciting pre-Frank Miller and even a little bit left over from the Miller time period. The manic depression has been sucked right out, though and replaced with something that's so much better: ACTUAL heroics.
It's not contained in this collection, but Daredevil #7 was one of the most amazing books I read last year. There's incentive to pick up the next volume.
If you like the fun of Spider-Man, but get a little tired of the self-deprecating humor or you love Batman, but don't want to be bogged down by loads of continuity or maybe you just want to find something that's both fun and thrilling all in the same place, do yourself a favor and pick this up. The price is pretty great for the hardcover edition, but if you're cheap like me, the paperback is even better on the wallet (or purse).
on January 28, 2012
I hadn't read Daredevil since Brian Bendis left the book and I heard such horrible things about Shadowland, but when Mark Waid writes a book, I just have to check it out.

Waid takes Daredevil in a new direction. Instead of a Matt Murdock who is grim, gritty, down on his luck, self-loathing, and holds a grudge against life in general, we get to see a cheerful, playful, "devil" may care, determined to be happy Matt Murdock, and it's great. It makes the book a lot more fun.

This volume is incredibly accessible for new readers. Waid keeps reminding readers of who Daredevil is, what his powers are, and the grim & gritty past that he's trying to let go. In fact, this book may be TOO accessible. Waid repeats these things frequently, leaving me to wonder how many times I'm going to have to hear how echolocation works during this series.

A plethora of background plots are the highlight of Waid's Daredevil: Matt & Foggy trying to salvage their law firm, the mysterious Fantastic Four artifact, and hints of a possible romance with a state prosecutor that won't stop calling Matt "Daredevil."

Daredevil Volume 1 is made up of two primary stories from Daredevil #1-6 (2011). The collection starts off with a strong first chapter that sets the tone and direction of the series. Issues 2 & 3 pit DD against Klaw, the master of sound, which is in theory a great villain for a hero with enhanced senses, but the script is a bit clunky, especially in issue #3. It doesn't have a good flow, there's a bit of technical jargon that doesn't make a lot of sense, and by the time the story was over I still didn't really know what the whole thing was all about.

The second story in issues #4-6 is better with a strong focus on may of the earlier-referenced subplots. DD's mission in this story is to help a young blind man who feels he was wrongly terminated from his job. A whole conspiracy is set into motion involving five terrorist organizations. It sounds like a leap, but Waid connects the dots in a way that flows naturally and it's a very good story.

Probably my favorite part of this volume is how reflective Matt is about his abilities and what he can do with them such as learning to play a musical instrument in a matter of moments or identifying individual strawberries by scent. There's also an awesome scene where Matt overthrows an entire hit squad with the flip of a switch.

One aspect of this book I can live without is the constant reminders that Matt Murdock isn't Daredevil. He is, obviously, but he's trying to cover up a leaked identity. This was a major story the last time I read Daredevil years and years ago. I can't believe it's still going on. The series really needs to move past this. It's stale.

At times I find the series to be uneven in pacing and energy. It may be because of the stale "I'm not Daredevil" reminders or repeats of details about echolocation. When I hit these scenes it's like someone tossed an anchor and killed the momentum. I also think forcing Matt out of the court room and turning him into a legal adviser works against one of the defining aspects of the character.
on May 18, 2012
Frank Miller took Daredevil to a dark dark place, but since then its never really changed. The writers have been using that same dark formula for years, but finally Matt Murdock has been born again as a swashbuckling, vigilante/lawyer/superhero that he once was. Its much more interesting now that Daredevil has been through so much over the years. Its like he can be that guy again, yet he is much wiser and more experienced.Its good to see Murdock enjoying life for once. I personally loved this book. It had a simple mystery story but with a lot of heart, humor and personality that is rare in comics these days.The artwork was interesting as well. It was pretty old school and was very nice. If you ever loved Daredevil, this is a must read/own book and I'm excited for whats next.
on September 28, 2014
The man without fear, the daredevil, has returned to New York to resume his life as a lawyer. Problem is, he has more less been unmasked by the tabloids. most of new York now believes he is DareDevil, which wrecks ha ok with his law practice. I like this idea, although I thought the way it messed with his practice was kind of weak. in the book prosecutors keep mentioning Matt being Daredevil to the judge. This is played as them being petty, but there are some legitimate issues at play here. I would have liked to see the New York bar maybe going after Matt for unethical behavior. That's just me though, and I did enjoy the workaround they came up with. I liked the visualization of sound in this book, with the echoes bouncing off stuff the way Matt would experience them. The rest of the art was good, but the sound stuff is the only really memorable moments here.
on February 28, 2012
I got this in the mail today. While Im a die hard Spidey fan, Ive only read Daredevil on and off(Frank Miller Collections, Bendis' run, "The Return of the King") because it just wasnt....enough. Enough fun, enough story, enough action. It was so dark and noir-y that it just didnt work for me. Recently there was a Daredevil/Spidey crossover which required me to buy an issue of the current Waid/Rivera series and...wow. Just wow. I know that was Marvels plan in making the crossover, but it worked in a big way.I dont always like Mark Waid(Good on ASM, Okay on Hulk, bad at Avengers) but he has DD down. His take on Matt Murdock is the most enjoyable in years. Hes not grim and foreboding anymore.Or possessed by an actual demon, or running an international crime syndicate,yes these were real(and stupid) storylines past. Hes enjoying himself, and it shows. And I fell in love with Paolo Riveras artwork two years ago when he was a regular on Amazing Spider-Man. His lines are so clean and simple, yet his storytelling flows so fluently. And just look at the cool cover. He illustrates Daredevil's powers in a way I have never seen before(the radar sense especially, check out how DD sees the Spot). Plus the series is only at issue 9(8 was the Webhead/Black Cat crossover) and this collects 1-6 so its not to late to jump on. Highly recommend.
on April 6, 2013
"It has been a miserable last few years and every time I thought I'd finally hit bottom, God somehow found me a bigger shovel. All this pain and all this loss and...and I just can't bear the weight of it anymore and stay sane. I know that. So this is the way I've decided to be."

Matt Murdock's speech to Foggy is perhaps Mark Waid's statement of intent with his run on Daredevil. Acknowledge the grimdark past of the comic, while offering a dramatic change of pace and tone. It's perhaps a soft reboot more than anything, with past events staying in continuity, even while there's a change of focus away from that type of storytelling.

Waid's fresh approach to the title is in some ways a return to its silver age roots. Forgoing many trends of contemporary comics, Waid's Daredevil is a swashbuckling hero. His concerns are at a more human level, protecting the poor and disenfranchised, than with slugging it out with supervillains. The stories are shorter, punchier, and more self-contained. A reader doesn't need to know 50 years of Marvel continuity to understand the storyline. It feels fresh exciting and fun.

The art duties are split between Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin. Their simple clean lines reflect this reversion to silver age aesthetics visually. The colorists, Javier Rodriguez and Muntsa Vicente, only add to the throwback effect. Bold color choices, often themed in red and yellow (DD's colors, don't ya know). The overall effect is evocative of the pop art of the 1960s, the era of Daredevil's birth.

I couldn't be more impressed with a contemporary comic. It has both the fun and energy of a silver age comics, but with the stylistic sophistication of a 21st century piece. Highly recommended for all ages.
on June 25, 2013
this book is a great deal the story in artwork are fantastic. this is probably the tied for my favorite Marvel now book with Hawkeye. The book is of good construction decent paper weigh on the pages. The cover artwork with the dust jacket off is incredible also
on November 23, 2013
What a great release from Marvel, it's just a shame that we have to wait so long for this.

The hardcover book comes a little bit oversized from your regular monthly comics. The paper is also a lot nicer that comes in a smooth shiny type, It looks really classy. As you can see I'm not very good at describing things so please go to other reviewers who do this in a much better way.

I'm new to comics, only got into them a few years ago so I can't compare this Daredevil series to the ones in the past but all I can say is that this is a great release, a wonderful story in a great package. I missed out on the first 24 or so issues of Mark Waids run so this was a perfect edition for me. If only they could release these Hardcover editions a lot quicker, just like the standard trade edition.

If time is not an issue than I highly endorse this Hardcover edition over the standard trades. And what if you have all the issues that are included in this release? Well.....that's a hard one and and it's something that you have to think about hard. There are special features in this release that aren't included in the individual issues, but then again you do lose the Letters page.

But if you don't have any issues then it's a no brainier. Get it.