Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Darice 120-Piece Deluxe Art Set
Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Style Name: 120-Piece Deluxe Art|Change

on June 25, 2013
This set is of extremely poor quality. Every material is cheap. Some people might try to rationalize that it's okay to give something like this to a child, because hey, kids don't care if the supplies are crap, right? Well, some kids do care, and the ones who don't know any better will still be frustrated that the materials don't "work" properly. The colored pencils are extremely cheap and don't even compare in quality to Crayola colored pencils, which aren't the best quality from an artist's standpoint. The pastels are horrible—like greasy crayons...again, a set of Crayola oil pastels are of much better quality than these (Crayola actually makes a pretty good set of oil pastels, and Amazon sells them). The "watercolor cakes" are a complete joke. They're lightly glued in, and every time the case is closed, several of them fall out. The drawing pencils are so cheap that you'd do way better to just use a regular #2 school pencil to draw with. Ours also came with markers, which were the low-quality throw-away type you get when you buy a book from the dollar store with markers included. My kids were gifted two sets over Christmas, and while we appreciate the thought behind it, it was shocking how crappy and cheap the quality of ALL the materials was. I don't fault the giver at all, but rather the distributor of such crappy quality materials. The case looked nice, however the wood is flimsy like some type of balsa wood, so don't expect it to be very protective or to hold up to a lot of wear & tear.

It's unbelievable that this set could ever be priced as high as $39.99. Right now it's on sale for $12.95, but honestly, it's still not worth even that much. Don't fall for the temptation to get "80 pieces" for just a few bucks. Those 80 pieces will cause your budding artist much frustration and disappointment. Also don't be fooled by the picture. Some of the items look like they're nice enough, but they're not worth having even for free. My family and I all tried everything out and I wouldn't be writing this strong of a review if there was anything worth even $12 in the set.

Before I sound like an art-supply snob (I'm not! I'm not even really an artist, though my husband and son are), let me say that this review is not in any way about me trying to sound superior and knocking discount-store art supplies. This is me saying that, while there *are* better options out there than Crayola-type supplies, this set makes Crayola-type supplies look like expensive professional supplies in comparison. I'm saying that these materials are basically disposable junk, not fit for anyone to use. I felt obligated to do a review, to save someone from wasting even a few dollars on something this bad. You or your gift recipient deserve much better than this. You'd do so much better to buy separate, decent sets of oil pastels, watercolors, colored pencils, and drawing pencils. None of these items are necessarily expensive on their own, anyway. Again, Crayola makes decent oil pastels. For colored pencils, Prang makes sets that are low-priced but surprisingly high-quality, and if you really want a treat, splurge for a Prismacolor Premiere set. Prang also makes fairly high-quality watercolors at a reasonable price. Either search for these things on Amazon, or visit Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or JoAnn and check out what they have, especially when they have sales. For around $50 you can purchase every type of supply listed in this set, but you'll be getting very good quality materials-- something that, when it comes to art supplies, definitely matters...even for kids!
3030 comments| 1,236 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2012
I recently purchased this for my daughter. She was happy to finally get it since she had been waiting for it for quite a while.

When she opened the case, everything looked fine, but when she tried to use the scissors, they broke and didn't even cut. The only way for them to work is to hold your hand in an uncomfortable way and it constantly breaks.

Next she tried the pens which worked fine, but when she got to the crayons, she tried one and it almost instantly broke in half. She wasn't holding it tightly or anything, just normally but it simply cracked.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who wants to keep an art set for longer than a day.
review image review image review image
55 comments| 507 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2010
This product was described fantastically, exactly what we wanted ..... but when it arrived, we (and more importantly, our daughter) were very disappointed. The quality of the markets is poor, but what is worse is that the "24 oil pastels" are NOT oil pastels - they are just 24 additional crayons with the words "oil pastel" on them. We have seen and used real oil pastels, and these are not oil pastels. Recommend that people steer clear of this product!
33 comments| 508 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2011
I bought this art set as a gift and I was thrilled at the variety of mediums along with the affordable price. I should have known - you get what you pay for. When I received this I was bummed because it looks so cheap. The items inside look like things you can get at the 99 cent store and the box they are in is flimsy and plastic. It is still a good variety but make sure you are not buying for someone remotely serious about art.
22 comments| 208 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I received this set as a well meaning gift from someone who knew I was an artist thinking it would be the perfect gift for me. While the quality is definitely far below the quality I use and would buy for myself it isn't all that horrible either. Well, except for the brushes. Give the brushes to a young child to use with their watercolors and poster paints.

Generally, I use the watercolors and color pencils when I'm doing quick drawings and sketches to add a bit of color. And all the products on one thing or another when working out ideas so I'm not using up my better products at the idea stage of things. There are pieces I actually think of as finished art after using these products, along with other more expensive art supplies.

It's a rather nice set for a Junior or Senior High School student who is a budding artist as well as the beginning adult hobbyist. Not bad for the seasoned artist to use when working out ideas or to add color to quick sketches or doodles.

If you think buying this set at this price is going to give you the same sort of products like Prismacolor or Derwent pencils, Winsor Newton Cotman Watercolors, and Holbein Artist's Oil Pastel then you are madder than a hatter and residing on the wrong side of the looking glass.
88 comments| 498 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2013
This is an embarrassing product. I ordered it to give to a child for their birthday andquickly realized that I would have been enbarrassed to give this set. SOOO CHEAPLY MADE. Would not recommend this product at all.
on March 10, 2011
Like the others mentioned, good quality, nice case, plenty of items in it. Got this for my 9yr old daughter who loves to draw and she's more than happy with it. I am a fairly picky buyer especially around quality on amazon products, and this certainly met the mustard. If you are a total art expert and require some very high-end or specific things, then maybe you're best buying your items at an art store individually... but for the rest of us this is great!
55 comments| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2011
The art set looked expensive. Sturdy wooden case containing all the tools needed for a young artist. My 8-year
granddaughter and I were very happy with it. Perfect for keeping everything in one place.
55 comments| 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2015
I buy this paintbrush for my son, he was very happy to use it with draw a picture,he is four years,very like to draw.the foods overall good ,but one of them is damaged,the US is too far away from China,and return and exchange is too trouble,i hope Amazon shipments to check goods quality.whish everyone with lucky...
review image review image review image review image
on January 2, 2012
The kit is very nice, HOWEVER the quality of materials in the kit is very lacking! Not all of the markers work and the crayons broke easily. I would't buy it again.