1,192 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value.
The art set looked expensive. Sturdy wooden case containing all the tools needed for a young artist. My 8-year
granddaughter and I were very happy with it. Perfect for keeping everything in one place.
Published on January 11, 2011 by mimi08

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Poor Quality
Published 14 months ago by Ms. Understood

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Poor Quality, June 25, 2013
This review is from: Darice 80-Piece Deluxe Art Set (Accessory)
This set is of extremely poor quality. Every material is cheap. Some people might try to rationalize that it's okay to give something like this to a child, because hey, kids don't care if the supplies are crap, right? Well, some kids do care, and the ones who don't know any better will still be frustrated that the materials don't "work" properly. The colored pencils are extremely cheap and don't even compare in quality to Crayola colored pencils, which aren't the best quality from an artist's standpoint. The pastels are junk- like greasy crayons...again, a set of Crayola oil pastels are of much better quality than these (Crayola actually makes a pretty good set of oil pastels, and Amazon sells them). The "watercolor cakes" are a complete joke. They're lightly glued in, and every time the case is closed, several of them fall out. The drawing pencils are so cheap that you'd do way better to just use a regular #2 school pencil to draw with. Ours also came with markers, which were the extremely low quality type you get when you buy a book from the dollar store with markers included...horrible. My kids were gifted two sets over Christmas, and while we appreciate the thought behind it, it was shocking how crappy and cheap the quality of ALL the materials was. The case looked nice, however...I guess that's the only good thing I can say about the set.

It's unbelievable that this set could ever be priced as high as $39.99. Right now it's on sale for $12.95, but honestly, it's still not worth even that much. Don't fall for the temptation to get "80 pieces" for just a few bucks. Those 80 pieces will cause your budding artist much frustration and disappointment.

Before I sound like an art-supply snob (I'm not! I'm not even really an artist, though my husband and son are), let me say that this review is not in any way about me trying to sound superior and knocking discount-store art supplies. This is me saying that, while there *are* better options out there than Crayola-type supplies, this set makes Crayola-type supplies look like expensive professional supplies in comparison. I'm saying that these materials are absolute junk, not fit for anyone to use. I felt obligated to do a review, to save someone from wasting even a few dollars on something this bad. You'd do so much better to buy separate, decent sets of oil pastels, watercolors, colored pencils, and drawing pencils. None of these items are necessarily expensive on their own, anyway. Again, Crayola makes decent oil pastels. For colored pencils, Prang makes sets that are low-priced but surprisingly high-quality, and if you really want a treat, splurge for a Prismacolor Premiere set. Prang also makes fairly high-quality watercolors at a reasonable price. Either search for these things on Amazon, or visit Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or JoAnn and check out what they have, especially when they have sales. For around $50 you can purchase every type of supply listed in this set, but you'll be getting very good quality materials-- something that, when it comes to art supplies, definitely matters...even for kids!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed with the quality, December 31, 2010
This product was described fantastically, exactly what we wanted ..... but when it arrived, we (and more importantly, our daughter) were very disappointed. The quality of the markets is poor, but what is worse is that the "24 oil pastels" are NOT oil pastels - they are just 24 additional crayons with the words "oil pastel" on them. We have seen and used real oil pastels, and these are not oil pastels. Recommend that people steer clear of this product!

3.0 out of 5 stars Was A Gift I Wouldn't Buy For Myself But..., July 9, 2011
This review is from: Darice 80-Piece Deluxe Art Set (Accessory)
I received this set as a well meaning gift from someone who knew I was an artist thinking it would be the perfect gift for me. While the quality is definitely far below the quality I use and would buy for myself it isn't all that horrible either. Well, except for the brushes. Give the brushes to a young child to use with their watercolors and poster paints.

Generally, I use the watercolors and color pencils when I'm doing quick drawings and sketches to add a bit of color. And all the products on one thing or another when working out ideas so I'm not using up my better products at the idea stage of things. There are pieces I actually think of as finished art after using these products, along with other more expensive art supplies.

It's a rather nice set for a Junior or Senior High School student who is a budding artist as well as the beginning adult hobbyist. Not bad for the seasoned artist to use when working out ideas or to add color to quick sketches or doodles.

If you think buying this set at this price is going to give you the same sort of products like Prismacolor or Derwent pencils, Winsor Newton Cotman Watercolors, and Holbein Artist's Oil Pastel then you are madder than a hatter and residing on the wrong side of the looking glass.

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, December 7, 2011
I bought this art set as a gift and I was thrilled at the variety of mediums along with the affordable price. I should have known - you get what you pay for. When I received this I was bummed because it looks so cheap. The items inside look like things you can get at the 99 cent store and the box they are in is flimsy and plastic. It is still a good variety but make sure you are not buying for someone remotely serious about art.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Great for a dabbler, child* or teen, student quality for others UPDATE, October 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 1:02 Mins

*Younger children need careful supervision with oil paints.

This kit is 'Professional' in terms of the types of items included, but know that you are not getting professional quality. (*EDIT: see update)

For a child or someone that has never done more than a doodle, or someone that wants to experiment with different mediums before investing in something better, this could be a starting point.

The markers are similar to the types you'd buy at a drugstore. As far as oils, these are fine to see if you like working with oil, and then you can be thrilled when you get Grumbacher oils. The included brushes are useless for oil. Using them will make you think you hate oil painting because they make working with oil a challenge.

For the pencils, think of pigment as a block of chalk that needs to be ground to a powder and then mixed with other things to create the 'lead' in the pencil. In order to have the color even it must be an incredibly fine powder or it leaves dots the size of the powder particle. Not important for many, but hardly 'Professional'.

At this price point, one does not expect professional equipment, so in my most humble opinion it should be called 'Darice Value Set'. If it were, it would gain a star.

UPDATE 12/5/13: When I first posted this review, it was called 'Darice Professional'. The wording has now changed.
The manufacturer has commented that some reviewers received a kit that is not the final retail product. It is my assumption that my review is based on what may have been a prototype.
I will update again with more information the moment it becomes available to me.
UPDATE 12/6/13: Got a peek at the real set, while the box is slightly nicer, the contents are the same. Prototype was only sent to reviewers, according to manufacturer. I give this product three stars based on the 'sale' price which is half the suggested retail price.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 21, 2013 12:17:53 PM PST
Hi John,
Thank you for your time in reviewing the New 159 Piece Art Set. The Art Set that you received was a prototype that was not production quality. Time constraints for the Consumer testing Program did not allow sufficient time for sending out production art sets. This is a great art set for many levels of artistic abilities, and will make a great Christmas gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value., January 11, 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible!, March 12, 2012
I tried to give 0 stars but it would not let me. Very cheap, the pastels and do not even work. Really the wort art kit I have ever gotten. The markers are too thick for my son to really draw with. I would definitly recomend spending more money on a better kit or buying the stuff individually and putting it in a tub or something. The people who made this obviously felt that children do not need real art supplies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice starter case and good for the price, March 10, 2011
This review is from: Darice 80-Piece Deluxe Art Set (Accessory)
Like the others mentioned, good quality, nice case, plenty of items in it. Got this for my 9yr old daughter who loves to draw and she's more than happy with it. I am a fairly picky buyer especially around quality on amazon products, and this certainly met the mustard. If you are a total art expert and require some very high-end or specific things, then maybe you're best buying your items at an art store individually... but for the rest of us this is great!

2.0 out of 5 stars Old quality, January 2, 2012
The kit is very nice, HOWEVER the quality of materials in the kit is very lacking! Not all of the markers work and the crayons broke easily. I would't buy it again.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Conceptual Art, November 9, 2013
John Petralia (Fort Myers, FL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The on-line picture looked good. So did the picture on the package: 30 tubes of paint, 32 Colored Pencils, 30 Markers, 2 Sketch Pads, 2 Sketch Pencils, 2 Brushes, a Pencil Sharpener, even an Eraser all arranged in a good looking Wood Box. Conceptually, this was the real deal: A professional all-media art set. Realty was different: Only 10 colors of each paint---yes, only one blue---only water color brushes, no oil and acrylic tools, cheap box. While the set may be good for a beginner, calling it professional stretches Realism.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 21, 2013 12:13:46 PM PST
Hi John,
Thank you for your time in reviewing the New 159 Piece Art Set. The Art Set that you received was a prototype that was not production quality. Time constraints for the Consumer testing Program did not allow sufficient time for sending out production art sets. The quality of the wood box was not up to Darice's standards and has been greatly improved on the production art sets arriving at Amazon now. I have a production art set in my possession and can assure you the quality of the wood box is very nice. This is a great art set for many levels of artistic abilities, and will make a nice Christmas gift.

Darice 80-Piece Deluxe Art Set