4.0 out of 5 stars Excalibur returns
Book 8 in the series begins shortly after 'The Quiet Place' left off. In this novel, we see the return of all our favorite Excalibur characters and plot lines that had been started early in the series.
Published on February 7, 2000 by Jayson Olson

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been Great.
This book was way too short. I believe a Star Trek movie or novel is not complete without majestic scenes of space battles with energy beams flashing through the starry darkness, torpedoes hurtling into oblivion against enemy shields, and starships dying in majestic explosions. This book also has too much hand to hand combat. In the 24th century, with technology so...
Published on December 6, 1999 by Victor A. Laserna

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excalibur returns, February 7, 2000
Jayson Olson (Rancho Santa Margarita, ca, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Allies (Star Trek New Frontier, No 8) (Mass Market Paperback)
Again, I commend Peter David for writing a fascinating Star Trek novel, this time packed with science, action, humor, and above all more character development. The science aspect was ingenious, something that you can only expect in the Trek universe.
We learn much more about the inner-workings of Calhoun, Selar, McHenry, Kalinda, Xyon, and especially Si-Cwan. Si-Cwan is written expertly and many of his internal/emotional dealings are very common for us 'humans'. There is also the constant fun-barbing between Si-Cwan and Kebron a futuristic odd-couple.
There were a few surprises (don't wanna give 'em away).....always fun. And the cliffhanger demands the new novel arrive shortly. Overall, this installment was much more fast paced than the last, and the result was a 'fun' Trek novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable entry in a great series, November 9, 1999
By A Customer
Now this more along the lines of what the New Frontiers books should be about--an interesting dilemma and some great character interaction. After the step in the difference direction with the Quiet Place, David makes Dark Allies one of the fastest paced but most densely plotted New Frontier books yet.
The Redeemers have their backs to the wall and are forced to ask Calhoune and company to help them fend off a force of creatures that are going to destroy their homeworld. However, as in the NF universe, nothing is ever what it seems. The Redeemers are going to make darn sure that Calhoune will help. Double crosses and triple crosses abound in a book that unfolds at great pace and has a nicely done resolution.
But what unfolds onboard the Excaliber is even more interesting. The characters we've come to know and love are gloriously alive and jump off the page. Everything in the first seven (well, nine actually) books is a set-up for a great payoff here..and you get the feeling it will only get better with each passing book.
The only bad part...David ends on one hell of a cliffhanger. It makes me want the next book NOW and not next year when it does come out.
A must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Please don't be the end!, November 27, 1999
By A Customer
Great book...great series...but please don't let this be the end of Mackenzie Calhoun and the Excalibur crew...Just when the characters were well rounded and interesting, I would hate to see this series end. Hopefully, this is a cliffhanger to beat all cliffhangers. Grozit!

5.0 out of 5 stars New Frontier lives!, January 7, 2000
When I saw the first novel of the "New Frontier" series, I didn't really know what it was all about. "What? No Picard or Kirk? Can't be!" I thought. Nevertheless I bought the book (it was, as far as I remember, "House of Cards") and found it much better than the usual Picard or Kirk stuff. After that I got all other NF-novels. Now I am so far to admit that Peter David is doing great work with the series. "Dark Allies" is no exception. It is Star Trek at its best, and it goes further than most normal Star Trek fiction. Star Wars and B5 fans who ignore Star Trek because of some stupid principles should really read this book. The only negative point about it(and other NF-books) is the cliffhanger at the end...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, March 20, 2000
A totally fun, exciting and hilarious read. An all-out riot. Great characters and action, as well as plenty of inside jokes, like Burgoyne fighting the 'Purple People Eater'. I'd have to say that Peter David has done a great job with the New Frontier series. They are honestly some of the best Trek books I've read in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek New Frontier No 8 Dark Allies, November 25, 2002
K. Wyatt "ssintrepid" (Cape Girardeau, MO United States) - See all my reviews
At the end of Star Trek New Frontier #7 "The Quiet Place" the Overlord of the Redeemers learns that the Black Mass is headed towards Tulane IV, the home world of the Redeemers. He quickly surmises that the only prospect he has of stopping the destruction of his home world is to enlist the aid of Captain Calhoun and the USS Excalibur, hence the title "Dark Allies," considering the previously established animosity between them.
In "Dark Allies," we are treated to another finely crafted furtherance of the New Frontier series and the goings on aboard the USS Excalibur. As I've stated in previous reviews of these novels, one of the things I like about how Peter David sets the story up is how he starts them off with, more or less, a historical chapter. "Dark Allies" is no different in this aspect... "Twenty years earlier" - Dark Allies begins on Rolisa, a small out of the way planet which is subjugated by the Thallonian Empire. We are introduced to the Black Mass that had been eluded to somewhere in one of the first four books, and brought to the forefront at the end of "The Quiet Place". The Black Mass is in the process of destroying Rolisa and aboard a Thallonian war vessel, a young Si Cwan is with his uncle, Sedi Cwan who is in command of the fleet. Sedi Cwan and the Thallonian fleet quickly discover that they can't even get the attention of the Black Mass and watch in horror as it devours an entire solar system. Imagine the impression this put on a young Si Cwan.
"Now" - The continuing saga of the USS Excalibur unfolds. The plotline of Ensign Lefler's desire for Si Cwan; the continued pregnancy of Dr. Selar; the interaction between Captain Calhoun and Commander Shelby; a very good scene with Commander Katerina Mueller, a great character from "Once Burned," carried over to the Excalibur; Ensign Janos gets a really good and funny scene; the story line between Xyon, Captain Calhoun's son and Kalinda is really well written, and finally Si Cwan gets some very good lines in this one.
One of the great things about the New Frontier series and Peter David's excellent writing is the fact that he's allowed a lot of freedom with this series. In reading these great books, you will encounter character interactions that are simply not possible with other stand alone Star Trek novels. Peter David also does a good job of writing humor into these books, even in situations where you wouldn't think there should be humor, you find yourself laughing through and saying, "that was a good scene." One final note, the cover art for "Dark Allies" and its predecessor, "The Quiet Place" is outstanding. Thank you once again to Peter David for another great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars That's more like it, January 25, 2000
I think what I like about these books are that they allow Mr. David to do things that neither the writers of traditional Trek novels, or the TV series cannot do. Characters come and go with ease. On the TV series, you add a character, and you now have to hire another regular actor. In the New Frontier, David creates groups of characters that would never work in other formats. In many ways, these books feel much like the comic book teams that Mr. David has written. Before long, we may see the bridge crew engaged in BlackAdder riffs. Better action, and it's clear that David enjoys putting his characters through the wringer. These should be enjoyable reads as this unique voice continues to add to the familiar turf that is Trek.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, ORIGINAL Trek., November 10, 1999
By A Customer
I have to admit I haven't been reading any Star Trek novels. On the whole I find them pretty much the same, predictable, story. But David has turned me around with his New Frontier series. I enjoyed the book's wit as well as the action. The interplay between characters was a treat, a real sense of cameraderie you don't see that much of in Trek anymore. I would've given in 5 stars, but the ending! Argh! Write quickly Mr. David.

4.0 out of 5 stars Minus 1 Star for the ending!, April 5, 2001
By A Customer
When I picked up the first book in this series I didn't expect to like it - a new star trek, with a new captain... But once I started reading I couldn't put it down and quickly worked my way up to this book. I found the series just kept getting better and better. Interesting stories and fascinating characters - some new and some taken from the tv series "Next Generation." I loved the adventures, I loved the characters, I even loved the soap opera that seemed to be running in the background, but...
THEN I got to the end of this book and almost threw it out a window! It's not the "to be continued" - that seems to be how all the books in the series end - by not ending. It wasn't the adventure (that's so great that I sat up late into the night reading it!). It's the soap opera! Towards the end of the book, Peter David had my favorite characters, Calhoun & Xyon, do things that were so incredibly stupid (tho' the son could probably be forgiven because of his youth) that all I could think as I read it was "it just goes to prove you don't have to be human to be a jerk, all you have to be is male!" (I'm not sure if I mean the characters or the writer!) The book, the story, they were SO great up 'til then... then SPLAT! it just fell flat with me!

That said, surprisingly enough, I think most readers will enjoy not only this book but this series as a whole. Surprised you, didn't I? Chances are what bothered me won't bother you, the future reader, and it probably didn't bother most other readers. BUT it bothered me so much I felt like hitting both the imaginary characters and the writer up side the head! If I wanted men to be jerks, I wouldn't read fantasy! My hero has fallen from grace and I've been thoroughly disillusioned - Calhoun should have been swallowed by a black hole! I may read the next book, but I'm not rushing out to get it...

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Allies- Not so new or dark, May 15, 2001
By A Customer
Star Trek - New Frontier... Dark Allies... Interesting and catchy title. Well, kinda, that is, if you haven't been paying attention to the seven previous books... But anyway, this book presents a not-so-new frontier to those devoted Trek fans familiar with TNG(The Next Generation...) The story line, character involvement and the element to the forced cooperation of the Excalibur's crew in this situation present new and interesting twists on an old TNG enemy. Does not the Black Mass seem an awful lot like the Crystalline entity? Consuming entire worlds, a creature of mystery, capable of warp travel... Granted, the Crystalline entity was somewhat less invulnerable... But they did kill it off in a similar fashion, if you recall the episode... I'm not putting off the book as a whole, David does some great things here... but, please, dig deeper for a less-common enemy in the Trek universe.... If one were to look back through the history of episodes and the number of enemies encountered capable of destroying worlds, one would find a number of parallels. 'Tis true, there are few villains more daunting than a single creature capable of destroying an entire world, and few things more real to the human race, i.e. nuclear weapons. In Conclusion, David did a good job, better than I could for the most part... But the villain leaves something to be desired.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Dark Allies (Star Trek New Frontier, No 8)
Dark Allies (Star Trek New Frontier, No 8) by Peter David (Mass Market Paperback - November 1, 1999)
Used & New from: $0.01