5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, Fun Adventure!
Can we just talk about the cover?? Gorgeous! The sky blue that seeps darker as the city scape rises in the background. And of course the hunky model with his torn black wings. Eye candy for sure!

Oh yeah, the book. I digress.

Published on July 30, 2012 by Kimberly C

This review is of an ARC received from NetGalley.

So, I should probably start this off with a disclaimer: This review will be tempered with a LOT of my personal opinions about books. If you don't already know (and I've been very loud about this) I hate insta-love. I hate love triangles. I really, really don't like Twilight. That's just the way I roll...
Published on May 22, 2012 by Gretchen @ My Life is a Notebook

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved the background characters, but just more Twilight teen romance, May 22, 2012
This review is from: Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers) (Paperback)
This review is of an ARC received from NetGalley.

The mythology Rowen used was excellent. The angels aren't (entirely) models for perfection and the demons aren't rampaging and/or sexy monsters. They work TOGETHER against these new entities (to me anyways) called "grays," which are humans who are kissed by a demon or another gray, and the being eats their soul. These new grays then have the unavoidable urge to kiss other humans for their souls. It goes on from there, but I don't want to give too much away, but let me tell you it goes UP. It was fairly new twist on another fad, which was very nice to read.

For me, however, the story didn't get off on such great footing. Even though I KNEW the kiss that turns Sam into a gray was coming, it read ... awkwardly. Actually, every status update I made while reading included the word "awkward" until about page 60. I know to some of you that doesn't seem like even giving the book a chance, but other people I know would stop reading at page 10 so ... you've been warned.

Once the book levels out, though, it's pretty cool-especially when they start bringing in the angels and demon team. Even though they aren't given huge parts to play, the majority of them-angel and demon alike-are excellently done. They're all very different, enjoyable to read and some of them are even given the chance to have round back stories, which isn't often done when you're dealing with so many characters in a team.

Now, here comes a tricky part. See, this book never really stops moving, but it isn't action like you'd expect it to be, i.e., huge flashy celestial beings fighting each other with swords and wings aglow. Rather, it's more of a personal struggle for Samantha, as she tries to figure out who is telling her the truth as the two sides try to fight for her and her special abilities. Things start happening to her, her best friends, and to Bishop, but none of it action action. Most of that doesn't come until the end, where it is also punctured with a lot of talking and is very brief.

Samantha and Bishop are what really irked me about this book. In places, they were a pretty great team, but as a couple? ...sigh. Insta-love, for one, was awkwardly thrown at them, and even a love triangle with Bishop's demon brother. It was the insta-love that really got me, though, because I just really don't like it. I really don't like it. Samantha even said multiple times that they had this mysterious connection that bound them in ways she didn't understand. Personally, if there has to be insta-love, I'd rather the characters didn't acknowledge it's insta-love. Throw in Samantha constantly bemoaning the fact that she can't read Bishop's mind and I was having a few Twilight flashbacks.

Also irking me: The TRUST ISSUES. So many things in this book could have been avoided if people had just told others what was going on. This especially became prevalent in the last scene, when even SAM is questioning why she didn't tell someone something that could have saved lives. If you're going to have your MC make a horrible decision like that, don't make the character regret it! It's a facepalm moment for the reader.

Anyways! Besides issues that were mostly contained to one moment in time, I actually did enjoy this book. If you enjoyed the Fallen series by Lauren Kate or Unearthly and Hallowed by Cynthia Hand, then I certainly recommend this. If your brand of angels and demons is more like Angelfire and Wings of the Wicked by Courtney Allison Moulton, I'd be a bit more wary, but hey-I've read all of these and not hated any of them! If you want romance, angels, demons and some more romance, this is for you!

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so paranormal romance redeemed by a great cover and ending!, June 2, 2012
This review is from: Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers) (Paperback)
I admit, I read this book because I fell in love with the cover. Which is funny, because I read it as an e-book, but I still chose it because of that cover. I had a bit of trouble getting into it at first. I didn't really connect with the heroine Samantha (Sam), and actually found her decision making process to be extremely frustrating to read. It took about 2/3 of the book for her to actually make some GOOD choices (and stop being so freakin' gullible) and that's when I feel like the book came into it's own. I also didn't care about what happened to her best friend who plays a pretty important role in the book - I think I even hoped she died at some point which shows how annoying she was to me. The saving grace (literally?) of this book is the men, specifically the angel Bishop, but I found myself liking his demon counterpart Kraven more and more as the story went on too. Once things started picking up and moving, the book was quite engrossing -- I only hope that book 2 picks up that way and doesn't start out like this one did or I might not make it through it.

3/5 stars. (first two-thirds: 2/5, last third 4/5) :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay book, but not too high on my to read list., July 5, 2012
This review is from: Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers) (Paperback)
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this one still. I liked it well enough, the story was good, the characters were good and I thought the pacing was rather good but I'm not jumping up and down with excitement.

I love angel books but I think I've become more critical on them lately because I've read so many? I'm not really sure. But, with angel books, there are always the opposite side of the spectrum, demons. What's so different about this book (there are actually two things, actually) is you actually have a group of angels and demons working together toward one common goal. But also, the element they're trying to get rid of are grays...which play a huge role in the book. What are grays, you ask? Well, they are humans who no longer have their soul as it was taken from them (usually unwillingly).

Samantha is a normal, plain teenage girl who is thrown in to this supernatural world unwillingly. Her entire world is turned upside down and all she wants is to go back to the way things used to be. The real question is, can it ever go back to how it once was once you've witnessed what she has? I really don't think it could but it will be interesting to see. She has teamed up with the angel and demon team and found herself fiercely attracted to its leader, Bishop. Kraven, the second in command who is also a demon makes this book highly entertaining. He behaves a bit nicer than what you'd expect from a demon but his behavior is exactly what I pictured. He's like a demon with a good heart...if that's even possible.

I can't tell you what this book is missing that didn't make it exciting but it's certainly missing something. I enjoyed the characters (most of the time), the story, the idea of angels and demons working together...but will I read the next book? Yes, I will. I want to know what happens now...with the way things were left. Absolutely. Dark Kiss wasn't a bad book and I would recommend it to anyone who loves angel or paranormal books. It's just not one I'd put high up to my 'to read' list, is all...

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, Fun Adventure!, July 30, 2012
This review is from: Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers) (Paperback)

Oh yeah, the book. I digress.

Samantha is a very normal girl. She likes boys, they don't like her back. She gets good grades. She has a best friend. She's not super popular but she's not totally picked on either. So she's very very surprised when an older boy, who is back from college, sees her in the club an wants to kiss her, telling her this kiss will change everything. This kiss will change her life.
And it really does.

Because this boy has done something to Samantha, and now Samantha is thrown into a world where angels and demons fight and kill the things that she has become.
Enter Bishop, a confused street boy she wants to help. Or so she thought. Bishop is actually an angel, sent here on a task. But first thing first, he must find the other angels and demons that will help him on his quest. And the only person who can help him is- Samantha.

I loved this story. I was reading it so fast, I had to go back a few times and re-read everything because I was so excited to know what was going to happen next. I even went out and bought a whole other series of Michelle Rowen books. (shh, don't tell hubby)

Samantha is a very likeable character. She is smart and strong, asking questions, doesn't take no for an answer. Yeah she does some stupid stuff, but she's a teenager and let's face it. I have never gotten my soul sucked out of me by a kiss, or at least I don't think I have. So I don't want to judge.

Bishop is dreamy, as all angels on a quest should be. He may remind me of a good, with an evil past seeking redemption vampire I know and love. There are hints of sadness, anger and kick ass under Bishop's sweet exterior and I can't wait to know more about him.
Enter Kraven, a demon on the mission with Bishop who shares a history with Bishop that no one can imagine. Kraven's quick quit, snarky comments and all around bad boy attitude made me love him too. Oh, what a wonderful way to be torn.

The story is fast and furious. Rowen has thrown a lot of information into this world, and it slowly seeps out through the story, giving the reader just enough info to keep me on my toes. I loved the twists and turns I didn't see coming. I loved the dynamic between Samantha and Bishop and Bishop and Samantha and Kraven.

I mean, I love this book. I might have to buy it in hardcover.
Yeah, the story is awesome and the cover to match.
What more can you ask for?

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling tale about darkness and light, good and bad, July 19, 2012
This review is from: Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers) (Paperback)
Delicious & Compelling Storyline!
I really liked the storyline! What I liked the most, was the fine line between good and bad, dark and light. There are tons of grey zones and it's on us to figure out about the good and the bad players in the game. Bishop, the Angel from the cover is send on a special mission on earth where he has to fight together with Demons in a Team. Weird enough, but this "special force" team made the whole plot just much more interesting and intriguing! When Angels and Demon's have to work together, something big and bad is going.... Of course, this unusual team gave room for a lot of tension and drama!

Samantha - heroine ordinaire, suddenly extraordinaire
Sam is the storyteller and she's basically your classic sweet nice girl who suddenly finds herself surrounded by para and supernatural events. Even though I liked Sam, she was nothing truly special and falls into the same line of heroines we often face in YA literature. He lack of epicness was compensated by the boys, which is why it didn't bother me too much! However, I do wish to see a deeper development in the next book!

Brooding Angel - Witty Damon
Clearly, the two main male leads Bishop the Angel and Kraven the Damon were awesome! I loved them both. As usual I always fall a little more for the Bad boy - although this might not be so clear cute in this tale! Bishop is more of the tortured guy, but he's strong and fierce exactly how I love my Angels! I enjoyed the slow connection he was forming with Sam, inital not interested and only focused on his mission, but slowly connecting with Sam!

The seriously best character was Kraven - Demon and full of fun and witty retorts! I love his banter with Bishop, he clearly knew how to push his buttons:-) I can't wait to get more from him in the next book and I'm super curious to learn more about his tale and future!

Bottom Line
Dark Kiss is a thrilling tale about darkness and light, good and bad! In Dark Kiss you need to have a closer look inside the soul of a character , and you have to decide for yourself who's rather light or dark. Dark Kiss plays with those greyzones and this was one of the strongest aspects of this story! Fans of Angels and Demon's will love this story and should add it to their wish lists!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Review, July 29, 2012
This review is from: Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers) (Paperback)
Okay everybody, if you being reading my posts about books that I have angels in them, you know I totally love them. If I could, I would read about angels all the time, if I could. But than what would that make of me.

The cover, looks enchanting but dark. It entangled me to want to read this book more and so when taking the chance, I dived into the book and from the first page, I was hooked.

The whole point of being kissed and from there, everything goes downhill. Lets just say that's one bad kiss. Or in this case a dark one. The plot was one that I found not boring and kept me wanting more. Although Kraven is not always the nicest person, I find him to be my favorite character. Werid!

Loving this book, till the very end. I recommend this book to all people who are fans of angels.

I give this book 4 souls!

4.0 out of 5 stars Loving Dark Kiss, August 16, 2012
This review is from: Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers) (Paperback)
An unholy infestation has overtaken the town of Trinity and Samantha Day has unknowingly become a power player in her local league of angels and demons.

After an impromptu make out session with her long time crush, Sam is finding she's not quite the same. A constant hunger that no amount of food seems able to satisfy has become an annoyance along with all the weird new attention every guy within range keeps giving her. But that attraction is nothing compared to the one she shares with Bishop. Unfortunately they seem to be on the opposite sides of good vs evil. Yet he has a can't kill her can't live without her problem at the moment. If Sam can manage to stay alive she might just save her soul and her city.

Michelle Rowen strikes a wicked accord between world building and storytelling. Rowen spun some new ideas with existing theology to create a unique world of angels, demons, and something in between. I really like the story lines and concept of angels and demons working together to keep a balance in the world. Her characters were interesting and presents lots of possibilities for growth. I think some of the threads were a bit predictable but overall the plot and world building has a lot of flexibility for the author to play with and in turn I can't wait to read which paths she chooses.

Dark Kiss was a fun read with a great concept and world. If you love angels and demons but don't want the usual mythology that comes with them, then add Dark Kiss to you must read list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kiss me if you can keep your soul, August 11, 2012
This review is from: Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers) (Paperback)
Dark Kiss is full of challenging beliefs and ideas about angels, demons and now a third world of doomed mortals who have no souls.

Woven by a master, Michelle Rowen takes the reader on a delicious tale of love and betrayal in the teenage world. Who knew Angels weren't fantastic icons of goodness and purity? Well, apparently Demons knew but the main character Samantha finds this all out as she enters her favourite club Crave. It's at Crave where she steals a fantastic kiss that complicates every decision she makes afterwards.

Oh, and her help? Not that helpful and also in love with her is the Angel Bishop.

This fantastic tale ends with a character reveal that is completely unexpected.

Will Samantha be able to keep her friends at high school and still have a normal teen life?

*hint* read the book - it's fantastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Doctor's Notes Review, July 25, 2012
shieka (charlotte, nc, United States) - See all my reviews
We start this book out by meeting Bishop who is cast from Heaven for a secret mission. At another location we are also introduced to Samantha who is finally being noticed by her crush. She soon learns that everything is not what it seems and once kiss may change life as she knows it. After the kiss Samantha notices that she is has a weird craving that she can't seem to sedate. She is walking home and meets Bishop and this is when things get interesting.

She soon learns that Bishop is an angel sent to try to stop the evil that is threatening to take over Trinity,NY. He is looking for some others to help him but he can't seem to find them. We soon learn that Samantha can see the lights and can find them. I liked Samantha as a character because she wasn't a pushover and stuck up for herself. She could manage to hold her own and took all that was going on around her in stride. I liked the chemistry between her and Bishop and am excited to see where their story goes. The next person that is found is a demon named Kraven. Kraven had the whole bad boy vibe going for him and I would love to find out more about him. The rest of the team is assembled and they start trying to end the evil.

We learn more about who Samantha really is and she has to come to terms with so major revelations. I loved the take on demons and angels that Rowan spun. The tale was a different one and made you really question what team you would side with. I loved all the interactions between Bishop and Kraven because they had such a love hate relationship. They had some funny moments with all of Kraven's snarkiness. He was just so lovable and I hate that he wasn't more of a major character as he was one of my favorites. We learn the evil is in the form of Natalie who Samantha learns something major about. The epic battle is started between good and evil and you have to read this book to find out who comes out on top.

I loved all aspects of this book. There was suspense,romance, and an epic battle. The world building was awesome and so in depth. I loved this book from start to finish and was sucked into the world through Samantha's eyes. I felt what she felt and ached when she ached. The writing was on point and the character development was well written. I highly recommend this book to all lovers of angel and demon stories.

I received this book for review but that is no way influnced my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars a unique spin on overtold angels and demons..., June 28, 2012
This review is from: Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers) (Paperback)
I love books that have unique plots, I guess you'd say. It reminded me in a way of the Soul Screamer novels. Just in the way that there was always something going on and it was never all that complicated to follow.

Another thing I loved about Dark Kiss is the unique spin on the angels and demon thing. I have to admit, I'm quite a bit over angels and demons, but Rowen tossed in another little creature which I think seperates this book from others: grays. Grays--Samantha--are people that suck out souls through kissing. And the number of Greys is increasing all too quickly.

Then we enter in Bishop, Kraven, Roth and Zach. These four have been sent down and up (heaven and hell) to basically get rid of all the grays. I loved these boys. Bishop and Kraven get the most spotlight, but you definitely get a feel of the other two. I think it would have been very easy to get the two Hell and Heaven boys mixed up, but Rowen did manage to give them distinct personalities while staying to that mould that people from Hell are sinners and those from heaven don't sin as much (I say this really loosely because my knowledge of heaven isn't all that broad).

I know some people have complained that the writing was too telling and not enough showing, but I honestly didn't notice it all that much. I was definitely caught up in the plot and characters way too much to notice.

All in all, I loved Dark Kiss. I think it was a fantastic novel with enjoyable, hilarious characters and a unique spin on a dried out demon/angels tale.

Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers)
Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers) by Michelle Rowen (Paperback - May 22, 2012)
$9.99 $8.54