Showing 1-10 of 295 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
on October 31, 2006
Reluctance was my first emotion when several people suggested I read the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I don't like blood, gore, or vampires. I was a little worried this book would be about the occult (it's not). So, I was surprisingly delighted and pleasantly entertained by this book. The story is well done and it sets up the background for the remainder of the series. The characters of Wrath and Beth are well developed. They have an immediate connection that is both sweet and lustful. Wrath is a very honorable vampire and you can tell he will be an excellent leader. This book is difficult to put down once you begin reading it, so allow yourself a week-end to enjoy it. I look forward to reading more by this author.
on July 10, 2006
Dark Lover is a book easy to enjoy. The beginning is a little slow but it picks up quick and the rest of the book is a fun and easy read. The plot is strong and ever changing, keeping you on the edge of your seat with wonder. Dark Lover is a lot darker than other paranormal romance books I have read. There is more action, more blood, and the sex is a lot hotter.

The heroes are original. J.R. Ward's version of Vampires is refreshing. Wrath is an original hero with a certain little vulnerability that makes him all the stronger. I LOVED that about him! And when Beth found out, it was definitely an "aww" moment. I really liked that aspect of him. Although I was curious as to how he noticed strawberry juice on Beth's chin and why it was never explained why he had no hair on his body... Come to think of it, their literally instant attraction to each other was never explained either...

The names are, for lack of a better word, lame. Wrath, Rhage, Zsadist, Tohrment? And the bad guys, Mr. Alphabets? But you get use to it quick and I fell in love with all of the brothers. Especially the twins. Their dialog was horrible with the somewhat annoying slang and I'm hoping it will lessen as the series continues. Those things are what really kept me from giving it a 5 star rating. But that's not enough to keep me away from the series.

I do have a few very minor complaints but they certainty did not affect my rating. I am getting a little tired of all the leather and long hair in nearly every paranormal romance book I have read. Seriously. What's wrong with having a hero in jeans with short hair? When I think of masculinity, leather and long 'flowing' hair do not pop into mind. What's next? Leather TShirts? Leather socks? Again, minor, personal complains that are easily overlooked.

That being said, Sherrilyn Kenyon fans will enjoy this book. It's hard to ignore the similarities between Ward's Zsadist and Kenyon's Zarek so that was interesting to see. I'm definitely planning on getting the second book. Oh, and even the covers are HOT!

I just hope Ward can break the trend of wonderful authors starting a wonderful series, and then ruining it barely five books down the road.... I have hope for you, Ward!
on December 24, 2006
I really enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse books, so thought I would give this series a try. There are a few things that don't work - the silly names, the endless "cool" hip hop gansta talk, and the cardboard characters. Practically, everything sets you up for a creamy thighs scene. I do like the human Butch and his interaction with the other characters. I hope that he doesn't get killed off in a future book. Wrath needs to get over himself. These books are not very well written, but I appreciate the authors imagination and will probably read the next one just to see what happens.
on December 29, 2009
Dark Lover, the first installment in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, centers around Wrath, "the blind king" and his love interest Beth who is half human/half vampire. The book begins with Beth's father Darius (who is also a member of the brotherhood) asking Wrath to guide Beth (who has never met Darius or her mother) through her vampire transition when the time comes. Wrath, being a mostly solitary creature when it comes to females, turns him down flat. Of course, fate conspires to bring Wrath and Beth together. Once they finally do meet, they have a hard time resisting each other.

However, relationship woes aren't the only thing that Wrath has to worry about as the unofficial king of the vampires and leader of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. I say unofficial because Wrath believes that he is entirely undeserving of the crown (even though he's the last pure blood vampire) and hasn't officially stepped up to lead (although everyone still treats him as a king). The Brotherhood(an elite group of 6 male vampire warriors) has been waging and unfortunately losing an ongoing war against the Lessening Society. The Lessening Society is composed of de-souled humans turned vampire slayers led by an entity called the Omega.

The Lessening Society has forced the vampires to the brink of extinction and the Black Dagger Brotherhood is their only chance at survival. When Beth is kidnapped by the Lessening Society, Wrath is forced to make some tough decisions about love and leadership that will drastically change his life forever.

Overall, I'd say that Ward has created a fresh take on the vampire mythos. Her vampires are living, breathing creatures and each one of the brothers has their own unique gift or curse--which makes you look forward to reading about each one in their turn. Ward has created a unique vampire society complete with her own lexicon and tries not to rely on the many, overused vampire conventions. Some people may be put off by the forthright manner that Ward uses to describe her love scenes, but personally, I dislike it when writers try to tap dance around sex scenes and overload it with flowery language.

I gave the novel four stars because I would have liked to see more character development out of Beth. As the heroine, I wanted to see her step a bit beyond being the orphan who discovers that she is heir to a great legacy. I think that the much needed evolution of Wrath's character overshadowed her a bit, but I hope to see more of her in the upcoming books.
on December 8, 2008
Let me start by saying that as someone who reads a lot of paranormal romance I'm fairly jaded and tend to be critical. This book, really the series as a whole, is an attempt to modernize and re-imagine the concept of vampires.

The basic plot:

Heroine Beth has lived her life as a human, with no idea that vampires exist, only to discover that she is in fact half-vampire and will soon undergo what is known as a transition-the painful process of becoming a full fledged vampire-at which point she will need to drink from a male vampire to survive. Wrath, our hero, is a warrior as well as the heir to the vampire throne. He is asked by Beth's vampire father to see her through her transition. He initially refuses, but changes his mind upon her father's unexpected death.

The best things about this book-

The romance is fast and hot. Wrath is an undeniably sexy character. He is strong and pushy. Thankfully Beth is no push over either-she speaks her mind and actually does reasonably well at dealing with everything thats thrown at her. The resulting chemistry is explosive.

Other characters introduced are intriguing and diverse. Wrath's fellow warriors are bad boys who have rich and complex personalities and backgrounds.

The action is present, believable, and well balanced. Ward supplies a band of villains, the Lessers, who are the enemies of the vampire. The warriors fight to keep their numbers down, and to keep the civilians of their species alive. This enriches the conflict, but does not detract in any way from the romance.

Why it lost a star-

The two biggest problems with I found with this book were dialog and pacing. Ward tends to have her characters speak in a weird mix of urban slang and old-world European. There are times when it just strikes me as silly. Secondly I had some issues with the fact that that Wrath and Beth's romance caught and progressed so quickly. Ward explains away their quick attraction as a result of the fact that they're vampires. None the less, I felt that a slower progression would have made the emotional side of the romance more believable.

Over-all: There are some truly wonderful moments in this book. I see it as a violent, politically incorrect fairy tale. It should appeal to most fans of paranormal romance.
on September 26, 2005
I am definately a book reader. I picked this one up on the fly at the bookstore but didn't have a lot of expectations. The first few pages with the "definitions and proper nouns" threw me because it made me assume it was a full blown series already and that I was coming into the middle. It turns out I caught a great new series of books in it's beginning.

Before I add my two cents about the things that I did not like...I want to say that I expected to get about 10 pages into this book and then give up. I got 10 pages, then 20, then 100. Next thing I knew it was 1:00 am and I had finished the whole book. Before I could call it a night I felt compelled to go online to find out who JR Ward was and see if there were other books I had missed. I loved every Character (even "Z") and feel that the connection between the human cop and the brotherhood enhanced the story past the normal vampire genre available right now.

Two things I didn't like. The "bad guys" (lessers) seem incompetent and were not scary, just weird. Pale skinned guys that seemed to me like they must look albino, have to stand out in a crowd. How could you even think to have a group of them go unnoticed? I never felt, through the whole book, that they could really kill any of the Brotherhood in actual battle. I hate the way every bad guy is "Mr X, Mr O". It is corny and too expected.

That said, I can't wait for March. Not only does the next book in this new series come out but so does a whole new Dark Novel by Christine Feehan
on May 21, 2012
Dark Lover is the first of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R.Ward. The Black Dagger Brotherhood, are the elite of the vampire world in Caldwell, New York. Wrath, Darius, Rhage, Phury, Zsadist, Vishous, and Tohrment (yes, the names are a bit gimmicky) are dedicated to defending civilian vampires from an organisation of de-souled humans, the lessers, who are intent on slaying all vampires. When Darius is murdered, he leaves behind a half-human daughter, journalist Beth Randall, who is unaware of her parentage, her heritage and the fact that she is soon due to transform into a vampire herself. Much as he would like to avoid any involvement with her, Wrath has promised to look after her, but once he meets her, he finds his priorities changing. Add to the mix a human cop who is half in love with Beth, a female vampire who has been Wrath's blood source for years and a vampire doctor who is trying to find an artificial blood source, and you have an interesting situation. In this different, modern take on vampires, Ward has created an alternate world on which to base her series. Part Mills & Boon, part paranormal/fantasy, this novel has enough plot and character to make it strangely compelling. While the males are, in places, a bit stereotypical, there's a nice camaraderie between them and the heroine is a strong character; there's plenty of romance and a few hot sex scenes. This paranormal romance tells Wrath's story. A further seven books in the series concentrate on the other Brotherhood members, and I look forward to reading each one.
on January 17, 2011
Okay, I know, I know. Wrath? Tohrment? Vishous? I seriously did not expect to like this at all. Actually, I don't even know why I picked up this book, except Amazon kept recommending it to me and the woman at the used bookstore saw me looking and called the series "addictive". So yeah, this is more about the whole series as opposed to this first book.

And oh my god, it's so cliche at times and cheesy and overly-romantic, but it's my guilty pleasure. It [...] me in and got me addicted to the whole damn series. I swear, I don't usually read books with "lover" in the title, but these ones just keep me addicted.

Maybe it's the way she builds up the world and characters - you never know which side character is going to suddenly get a book and a ton of development. I think I also like the way that a lot of them do bad or negative things but are still basically good people, and the relationships have their acknowledged petty jealousies and miscommunications.

I love the big tormented men, I really do. Some of the female characters are better than others, but I'm really glad I gave this series a shot.

Guilty pleasure, yes, and I totally acknowledge that it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm so going to keep reading.
on March 23, 2008
I did like this book but I had some problems. I loved that Wrath was almost completely blind and that his senses were so acute it almost didn't matter at all. But there were several noticeable times in the story that it seemed he was seeing something he shouldn't have been. Like strawberry juice running down Beth's chin. Those are things that bug me because I think a powerful choice has been made to make him blind and I really want the reality of that adhered to for its best effect.

It took me a while to get into the lingo. It was so ... NYPD Blue. But after I accepted the rhythm of it, I liked it okay.

I wanted to know more about their world as well. The world of Havers and Marissa that was supposedly snobbish and judgmental was just mentioned and we never got to experience it. Perhaps in subsequent books we'll get more of a sense of the community in its entirety.

Anyway, it got exciting about two-thirds of the way through and I enjoyed it. The set-up for future books -- paramilitary style forces and a better fortress for them all to be in one place -- intrigues me and I'll read the next one.
on March 28, 2012
Dark Lover is the beginning of a pretty amazing series called the Black Dagger Brotherhood. The main characters in Dark Lover are Wrath and Beth. Throughout the series there are different main characters in each book, though it does include most/all of the other characters that you become familiar with as you read. (ie: Book 1 = Wrath, Book 2 = Rhage, Book 3 = Zsadist, etc.)

Wrath is a pureblood vampire who is king to a watered down line of vampires. He is in charge of the brothers, who are vampire warriors that protect their race and fight the bad guys. One of the brothers, Darius, asks Wrath to look after Beth (his daughter) for him, while the King scoffs a little he listens to reason and checks it out. Little does Wrath know that Beth is everything he is looking for in a woman.

Beth, a half human is unaware of her vampire side. She is not prepared for the changes that she will face, and she needs help. Beth is a journalist who is looking into a violent crime. She is a strong character that I find perfectly suited for Wrath. She keeps him in place, which someone needs to!

The writing changes prospective from Wrath to Beth to even other people. There are bits in the book that are in the bad guys perspective. The bad guys are called the Lessening Society (aka Lessers) who are ruled by the Omega, their all mighty evil overlord. While you might think the change in point of view would be confusing, I found it let me get a grasp of what each person was thinking and basically walk in their shoes. I felt that I was able to understand the characters better.

The way JR Ward writes made me so intrigued in all of the characters. I got a feel for each brother as I read and I wanted to know more about their stories. That is easily remedied by reading that person's book in the series.

Warnings:
*Please note that this series has sexual content quite a bit. If that is a no go for you, then I suggest you do not read this book!
*There are terms used throughout the entire series that will make no sense to you if you do not look at the glossary. It is slightly difficult to remember the terms used and their definitions. Luckily, Ward puts a glossary which you will put to good use until you are familiar with the wording. (ex: shellan, doggen, etc.)
*You will stay up and read this book, good luck putting it down.