4.0 out of 5 stars Dragonseeker and Jaquar shifter - what a great pairing
Published on August 31, 2010 by melindeeloo

1.0 out of 5 stars Over This Series...
Published on September 13, 2010 by E. Koriath

4.0 out of 5 stars Dragonseeker and Jaquar shifter - what a great pairing, August 31, 2010
Having given up hope of ever finding his lifemate in this life time and determined to end his existence with honor, Ancient Carpathian warrior Dominic has begun a suicidal quest to gain the information necessary to save his Prince and his people. Dominic has ingested vampire blood, knowing that the parasites which now infect his body will provide the camouflage needed to allow him to walk among the enemy in order to get the intel necessary to foil the vampires' foul plots. But even as the parasites attempt to seduce Dominick into taking the final step and becoming vampire himself, Dominick has begun to dream, and in his dreams he 'feels' hints of the emotions that he has lost. Emotions stirred by the unique woman of his dreams, a woman who shows a warrior face to the world but who shares her softer side with him.

Jaguar shifter, Solonge survived the annihilation of her family and friends perpetrated by the ruthless males of her species. Solonge now fights a guerilla war against the Jaguar men - stealing back captives and working to wipe their evil from the world. Unsurprisingly, Solonge's experiences with men in general are not good, and she is also distrustful of domineering Carpathian males - her cousin is mated to one of the Delacruz brothers. But in Solonge's dreams she has created the perfect man, sexy and strong to be a partner to her but one who will also allow her to be a woman in addition to a warrior.

Both of the pair are a bit surprised to find that the one who they've been dreaming of is real. That they are lifemates adds a level of complication because both have upcoming battles - Solonge against the evil leader of the Jaguar men who has dastardly plans for her, and Dominick against the vampires - battles which neither of them expected to survive. But now that they've found each other, dying for a noble cause no longer seems like a good plan, instead the pair will work and fight together in the hopes of having a long and loving future together.

I really really liked the first third of the book, I liked both Dominick and Solonge and I liked the fact that Dominick wants a partner to fight beside him and that he trusts Solonge's skills as a warrior. And I liked Solonge much more than I thought I would from her appearances in early stories - she ends being a good mix of strong and vulnerable. There are so many things about this paring which makes them actually feel like destined mates. And I liked the role that blood plays in the story - both have unusual things going on with their blood - and also the advantage of their special heritages - Jaguar and Dragonseeker - are key to the resolution of the story.

Whereas I loved the setup, once Dominick and Solonge find each other in the flesh they spend an awfully long time in Solonge's cave as Dominick slowly cultivates Solonge's trust and works to wins her love. And as much as I liked the idea that Dominick was willing to wait for Solonge's complete acceptance, I found myself impatient for Dominick's efforts to finally come to fruition.

But once Dominick and Solonge make it back out of the cave, the story ramps back up to speed and Dominick's strike at the vampires - with Solonge watching his back - and Solonge's final confrontation against the Jaquar leader - with Dominick returning the favor - finish the story on a high note.

1.0 out of 5 stars Over This Series..., September 13, 2010
I have always been a big fan of the Dark Series. Not as much her other stories. There was something intriguing, sexy, and almost forbidden reading about mostly humans and a vampire-like species and seeing their differences provide interesting obstacles that would HAVE to be faced and conquered. I enjoy the paranormal element, though I am not interested in science fiction of any kind. There are plenty of series' out there for people who do. I even enjoy reading about the hyper-alpha males beating their chests. It's a fantasy novel, not real life after all. What I can't understand is why she took a popular premise and has started to suck the life out of it with dragons, mages, wizards, and now the jaguar people/shifters. I feel like these are not what I signed on for. I hate this new format, and apparently am not alone. If jaguars interest you, read her other series etc. Also the redundant use of the Carpathian language wasn't terribly interesting in small amounts, now it's just being shoved down our throats. And I realize these are fiction, but there has to be an amount of magical realism involved. You're going to take a formerly strong lead female and turn her into an insecure, blubbery, mess? And then have a reader believe you've cured her issues by insisting she wear some tacky lingerie you pulled literally out of the air? It was just hard to read after the first few pages. I don't know about anyone else, but remember when the women in these novels might fight at first, but in their own way they were strong and opinionated. This character was weak, boring, uninteresting, and just plain annoying. I don't want to read about how quickly she can form fur and a muzzle and then think anyone would would find that sexy. Is she your girlfriend or your pet? Decide already Feehan! Dominic was slightly more interesting, but I was almost embarrassed for them with the lingerie, constant singing, baths, and then if you weren't appalled enough they throw a sick kitten into the mix. The last page of the book will be interesting to some, and a "jumping the shark" moment for others. I haven't formed my own opinion on it yet. But who knows, after I wait a year or two, maybe she'll come back to it in the follow up. But will my interest level survive long enough to read it?

1.0 out of 5 stars No longer a Feehan fan, March 8, 2011
I used to be a die hard CF fan. Her Dark series used to be AMAZING. I feel so let down.... I have not enjoyed one (so called) Carpathian book since (and including) Dark Celebration. I feel as if she has butchered something that used to be one of my favorite series.
What ruined it for me, was all the mage & wizardry, the leopard/jaguar people, the dragonseeker bloodlines, the rainforest setting, all the Carpathian language/chant mumbo jumbo. I get bored on the first page of all her books lately! I haven't been able to finish one since 'The Celebration' turning point. This one was no different.... couldn't finish it! I wouldn't even give it 1 star if I didn't have to. Give me a human female with SLIGHT psychic powers and a centuries old Carpathian male any day over this weird sy-fi stuff.
I have been anticipating Skylar and Dimitri's story for a long time and now I don't even want her to write it! Not if she stays on this dead end track.
Please, Christine Feehan! Go back to your old way of writing a Carpathian novel!!! Seriously, PLEASE!

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointed, August 31, 2010
This review is from: Dark Peril (The 'Dark' Carpathian Book 21) (Kindle Edition)
I was so looking forward to this book. Dominic was a favorite of mine and I was looking forward to his story. As the first reviewer said, the first and last third of the book is good. The middle really isn't. They stay in the cave for ever. It got very boring and I found myself skipping over sections, trying to find some action. When the action starts, the story springs to life again. Also, I absolutely HATE the Carpatian words CF keeps throwing in. It really distracts me from the story. Her books have always been an auto-buy for me, but they just aren't as good as they used to be for me. In my opinion, if she would put as much into the stories as she did into the language and songs at the end of the books, they would be much better. I'll have to really think about it before I buy any of her books again.

1.0 out of 5 stars No no no!, November 28, 2010
Kayla Oler (South Bend, IN) - See all my reviews
Ok so I LOVE this series normally, but I hated this book. I rolled my eyes it was so cheesy with the wimpy heroine and I was so so so looking forward to Dominic's story and he got her! Then he turned out to be kind of a freak wanting her in hooker nighties. They were in the cave way too long and then when the book ended I literally said outloud, "That's it?". I also hated the 50 pages of appendixes in the back of the book about the carpathian language etc. I wanted more story. She needs to end this series as nothing seems to be resolving! Also, why are there all kinds of crazy magical beings in the mix? Couldn't we just stick with Carpathians? The jaguar people have their own series. I am not buying the next book in hardcover, but will rent it at the library first. Then buy it when it comes out in paperback just because I have all of the other books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad! Bad! Bad!, November 13, 2010
I have read every book in this series and will add this book as another disappointment. Unfortunately, there are several in this series. Why I keep torturing myself by reading anymore books in this series is beyond me. As with many other reviewers, Dark Peril started out well and then became a huge disappointment. Here is a strong woman who hates men and can't stand being around them, but eventually falls so in love with Dominic, the hero, that she is insecure in his presence. I could believe this premise if it was written better, it wasn't. I found myself skipping whole sections just to get through the cheesy dialogue and it is a FANTASY NOVEL- Go Figure!
I just kept saying BLAH,BLAH,BLAH! Needless to say, this is the last book I will be reading from this author. I just can't suffer anymore.

1.0 out of 5 stars Is there any point to the Carpathian stories anymore?, September 10, 2010
I anxiously awaited this book but was so very disappointed with it. I kept waiting for it to get a least mediocre but it was just dismal. More parasites in the blood, more living in caves, more of the same sex scenes cut and pasted from other books, there is no point at all. This series started fabulously but it's time to end it since there really isn't any point to it and the characters are going nowhere. There won't be any more automatic orders for this series for me... I will wait for the reviews and then determine if it's worth the price and the time. C'mon Christine...get back in the game.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much sex can ruin a good story, December 4, 2011
I've read all of Feehan's work and I love her writing style. I love the Carpathians but the Drake Sisters are my personal favorites. The paranormal world is entertaining and pure escapism so I have no quarrel with combining all the elements Feehan did in this book. What I did not like...even though I am an erotica author, myself...was the over abundance of pretend sex, going to have sex, thinking about sex, having sex, and the afterglow of sex. Over and over again, page after page of boring...albeit hot...sexual encounters between the two main characters. Over and over again, page after page of the female shivering at the touch of the male and him trying to ease her into the world of sex without sending her screaming for the nearest tree. Over and over again, page after page of what Feehan's editor must have said would sell the book: sex.

I don't buy Feehan's novels to read about sex and the myriad ways it can be exhibited. I buy her novels to be entertained and mesmerized by the expert world and character building but also the book must have riveting action in it to hold my interest. Unfortunately, DARK PERIL had far too much sex and not enough...pardon the pun...meat. I found myself thumbing past the sex scenes to get to even a smidgen of action and, yes, real story line.

Yes, we know they are lifemates. Yes, we know they are lustful creatures. Yes, we know they are horny, but too much of a good thing is still too much. I hope Feehan returns to the action-filled story lines with the next Carpathian book. That's really where her genius lies. Not in writing long, drawn-out, overdone sex scenes but telling a imogue love story with enough action to keep you riveted to your seat.

3.0 out of 5 stars It pains me to write this.., September 6, 2010
It honestly pains me to write this, because I normally love her bools, but I was not feeling this one at all. The ending made me so upset because you never find out what happened. I am hoping that there will be some sort of explanation in the next book, but until then I am a little upset. Also, I don't know why but her characters seem so boring and predictable. All of her men act alike and every third women is the same. I used to love her books, but I felt like alot was left off. Now that Xavier is dead, I feel like she is biding her time trying to come up with a new idea to finish the series, and doing a terrible job at it. IDK, it's crazy. I actually loved Waterbound and the Ghostwalkers series, but there isn't alot of variety in this one anymore...C'mon Christine, dont fail me now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, September 2, 2010
I was really looking forward to this book after the disappointments I had with this author's most recent few books. I was intrigued by Dominic's character whenever he appeared in the previous Carpathian books and Solange also seemed to be an interesting character. I didn't even mind paying the high Kindle price ($12.99) if the book lived up to my expectations. I wanted to get the same satisfaction reading this book as I had when I read this author's Dark Guardian book. And though there were some good parts in the book, most of it bored me. The flow of the story seemed really slow to me, the explanations about the feelings of the characters seemed repetetive and I was also annoyed by the Carpathian words the author keeps putting in the dialogue.

Maybe I've just out grown this author's style of writing and want more action in my paranormal romances these days. Needless to say, I was disappointed once again in this latest book. Considering the high price for the Kindle book set by this author's publisher, I think this will be the last book I buy from this author as soon as her book comes out. I'll wait and read the reviews first from now on.

Dark Peril (The 'Dark' Carpathian Book 21)
$5.99