5.0 out of 5 stars Parrallel Time Begins!
The 40 episodes in Dark Shadows Collection 19 includes the conclusion of the "beast" storyline, and the debut of a story arc dealing with the concept of parallel time that eventually involves the entire cast.

Published on August 22, 2005 by E. Hornaday

3.0 out of 5 stars A mistake by me ....ordering wrong disc.
This "Dark Shadows" is excellent, like-new condition! My problem is I have already ordered and receieved it (19) "The Original series". I would love to exchange this for one of the following....
Original series # 25, 26?..or
"pre-Barnabas Collectors series" # 6, 7,8,9,10....
Please contact me as due to a medical memory problem I am...
Published 18 months ago by D. Morris Green

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Parrallel Time Begins!, August 22, 2005
E. Hornaday (Lawrenceville, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Shadows Collection 19 (DVD)

Dark Shadows, the only soap opera to have focused completely on gothic storylines and the supernatural, demonstrates its wide range in this boxed set with arguably one of its worst stories that will enventually transcend into one of its best. The "repertoire company" that is the cast of this remarkable show, consistently turns in memorable performances throughout.

The then young actor Christopher Pennock is introduced as Jeb Hawkes, the human form of the "beast," created to be the supernatural leader of the evil cult of the Leviathans. Pennock overplays much of this role, but eventually turns in a fairly memorable performance. Of all of the roles he would end up playing in the series, in my opinion, this was by far his best. (The actor is also interviewed in a special DVD feature, and comes off at best as egotistical and very peculiar.)

Hawkes' human half falls hopelessly in love with Carolyn Collins Stoddard, who as always, is played brilliantly by Nancy Barrett.

The Leviathan plan is to have the two wed in a dark arts ceremony performed by warlock Nicholas Blair, again played with menacing gusto by Humbert Allen Astredo. Carolyn was to become an inhuman creature like Jeb, and the two would rule over the Leviathans, whose ultimate goal was to rid the world of human beings, beginning with the residents of Collinsport.

Hawkes evolves from a blood-thirsty killer in his beast form who murders without conscience, including killing Carolyn's father Paul Stoddard (played by Dennis Patrick), to a man who loathes his beast form and wants to remain in his human guise forever and marry his lady love.

Barnabas, played brilliantly by Jonathan Frid, is returned to his former vampire state by a vengeful Hawkes, who discovers that Barnabas is a "traitor" to the cause and had been plotting the Leviathan leader's downfall and death. Frid is mesmerizing when the curse is once again upon him, demonstrating a heartbreaking anguish in a bravura performance seldom delivered better by a soap opera actor of any era.

Eventually, Hawkes makes an uneasy truce with Barnabas to save Carolyn from the fate that the Leviathans had planned, and the two men unite to prevent the unholy union in the midst of Blair's ceremony. Hawkes destroys the Leviathan box and its power, thus defeating his own "people," and destroying forever his beast form.

Expecting to die when the Leviathan's are destroyed, Hawkes maintains his human form and survives only by force of will because of his love for Carolyn. Jeb and Carolyn later marry, but Jeb is finally killed when he is pushed off Widow's Hill by an enemy and drowns.

Meanwhile, Barnabas has discovered an abandoned room in the east wing of Collinwood that sometimes opens to reveal an intriguing world of parallel time, where friends and family are living different lives based on different choices that they have made.

Hoping to free himself from the vampire curse, Barnabas is drawn to the east wing and steps inside the empty room when it suddenly transforms into the parallel universe, trapping him within the familiar -- yet completely unfamiliar world!

5.0 out of 5 stars There's this room in the east wing . . ., August 9, 2007
This review is from: Dark Shadows Collection 19 (DVD)
Another great collection of 40 episodes from DARK SHADOWS (#942-981, Feb-Mar. 1970) that conclude the Jeb Hawkes story and begin the Parallel Time tale. I really enjoyed these episodes--Christopher Pennock is terrific as Jeb, making him more than just an evil jerk as his romance with Carolyn becomes far more serious. And the writers do a great job of slowly introducing the Parallel Time storyline as various characters go up to the east wing to check out the mysterious room, where their alter egos are living very different lives. It's fun to see Roger Collins watching himself and to discover dead characters suddenly returning to life in the other world. And speaking of dead characters, many bite the dust before the show switches over completely to Parallel Time. I won't give away any--that's half of the fun of the show, to see who will get bumped off. I will reveal that Barnabas' fangs return in gusto--which always makes things more interesting. But without the wonderful, talented cast--who take the campy storylines very seriously--DARK SHADOWS wouldn't be a cult classic. It's Jonathan Frid, Joan Bennett, David Selby, Grayson Hall, Louis Edmonds, Nancy Barrett, John Karlen, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Lara Parker, Humbert Allen Astredo (who chews up the scenery as Nicholas Blair like nobody's business) and Marie Wallace (one of my favorite actresses on the show) who make this show such a joy to watch. So if you enjoy a good gothic mystery with a bit of supernatural intrigue--and the occasional werewolf, warlock, witch or vampire--then I recommend that you tune in to DARK SHADOWS. But beware--it's highly addictive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 1 of a kind show!, June 2, 2011
This review is from: Dark Shadows Collection 19 (DVD)
I have always been a fan of Dark Shadows, ever since those days when I would run home to watch it after school in the 60's and 70's. The gothic theme, the spooky sets, and special effects set the standard for today's flicks. This show was a fun scare for teens everywhere. The show was clean (no foul language), not really violent (especially by today's standards), acting was good, and just plain fun! It is a shame that today's kids will never know the simplicity and joy of being scared in a fun way like we did.. All the blood, guts and cursing in today's shows will never endure the way the old shows do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories..., August 21, 2011
Misfit (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dark Shadows Collection 19 (DVD)
Yes, I was one of those young school girls who raced home to watch the latest episode, and I'm having a gas watching them all over again - surprised at how much I'd forgotten.

The bulk of this set of DVD's involves the Leviathan storyline, that of an ancient evil cult plotting to start a new race with the mating of their beast (Jeb Hawkes in human form) with Carolyn Stoddard, but there's a twist when Jeb finds himself in love with Carolyn and wants to stay human and marry her. Of course the Leviathans will have none of that and there are plenty of surprise twists, turns and returns from the past (I did not see that one coming). Nicholas Blair is back and right in the thick of things (yay!), as well as the always delightfully wicked Angelique bent on revenge - loved "The Shadow" storyline to bits, but I wouldn't let the younger kiddos watch that bit too close to bed. Nancy Barrett as Caroline Stoddard is superb as always and must be the best screamer in the business. Jonathan Frid is in top form as he's once again turned into a vampire and Julia's injections not only fail, but manage to increase his lust for blood...

And in the last DVD begins one of my favorite story-lines, that of parallel time, with a huge nod to Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca. Whilst searching the closed east wing of Collinwood, Barnabas opens a door, a door where the residents of Collinwood live very different lives. Quentin is the master of Collinwood, and after the mysterious death of his wife Angelique (who we only see via a portrait) has taken a young bride (Maggie Evans) and prepared to return after their whirlwind honeymoon. Elizabeth Stoddard is the poor cousin, Caroline is married to Willie Loomis (an author) and as for Julia Hoffman? Mrs. Danvers eat your heart out.

Losing all hope for a cure to his affliction, Barnabas hopes to find a portal to the parallel time where perhaps he can live life free from the curse of the vampire. Will he succeed? I'll not spoil, but all I can say is more more more and am now anxiously waiting my turn at the library for set #20.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Shadows Forever, February 17, 2010
This review is from: Dark Shadows Collection 19 (DVD)
I have always been a big Fan of Dark Shadows.The best thing they have done is put this classic on DVD. I am up to collection 18 and I will buy the whole set. Watching these box sets now, bring back a lot of good memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great package!, January 4, 2014
Sabrina F. Brown (Ft Meade, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Shadows Collection 19 (DVD)
I watched Dark Shadows as a kid and was intrigued with the series. There were many things on the show I didn't understand, but I continued to watch. One day my child-care provider introduced the series to me and I was hooked ever since. Never, had I known or seen the ending, so this is my chance to see it all over again with a more understanding of the series. Because of these DVDs, I was able to attend my first Dark Shadow Festival in Brooklyn, NY, the year before Jonathan Frid past. I got to meet Lara Parker, David Selby, Jerry Lacy, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Roger Davis, and many others because of these DVD's. Thanks Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved the show as a kid and now have the ..., November 2, 2014
This review is from: Dark Shadows Collection 19 (DVD)
What can I say? I loved the show as a kid and now have the complete set to watch over and over. The seller shipped quickly and I was pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as fun as I remembered it!, June 25, 2014
Abou Fall "nouakchott" (Nouakchott, Mauritania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Shadows Collection 19 (DVD)
This show brings back fond memories of when I was in grade school rushing back home each day to see what horrors awaited me and Barnabas. Collection 19 does not fail my memories and is as much fun today, thought through different eyes as it was when originally aired. For me Barnabus is the defining Vampire of the 20th Century and though others have tried none reach his level of horror and compassion mixed.

5.0 out of 5 stars arrived in time, January 9, 2014
This review is from: Dark Shadows Collection 19 (DVD)
This was a last minute xmas gift for my mother. I was nervous that it wouldn't make it on time. It was here just before xmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars movies, August 13, 2013
This review is from: Dark Shadows Collection 19 (DVD)
I love dark shadows. I am trying to get the entire set of them for my mom and I. These are great.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dark Shadows Collection 19
Dark Shadows Collection 19 by Jonathan Frid (DVD - 2005)
Used & New from: $19.59