4.0 out of 5 stars A Keeper

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Keeper, June 1, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Dark Shadows DVD Collection 12 (DVD)
With the 12th DVD set, things start to heat up. The story arc leading to the 1897 tale is underway, but in the meantime, Barnabas takes a short detour to 1795 to try to save Victoria from the hangman. A lot of the re-telling is the same script as earlier in the series, however, the production values are MUCH better. The sets are dimly lit with candles lending flavor to what we have seen before. Jonathan Frid is allowed to stretch his performance and the few episodes back in time are classic. Even with a substitute Victoria, the shows are excellent. Thayer David is a personal favorite as Ben Stokes.
Also, David Henesy is surprisingly evil, being controlled by the ghost of Quentin. Can't wait for the next set!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Shadows any volume, June 3, 2004
taxman (metro Detroit) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Shadows DVD Collection 12 (DVD)
Yes they are corney, yes they have some really bad acting (along with some good stuff), but who cares? Its Dark Shadows. The show we used to run home from school to watch every afternoon. For some of us, it was quite a run. Maybe if our kids today did the same running, they wouldn't be so rotund and glued to their video games. There is Barnabus, the vampire with a guilt complex. Quentin, the werewolf who was and is scarrier than Jack Nicholson having a bad hair day. Sister Sarah as a 8 year old ghost stuck in a void between life and death. Then you have the abnormal family members (the above mentioned ones were the normal ones), whose various characters lend a good chuckle as props fall around them. They frequently flub their lines and are often seen reading directly from the teleprompter. Doors would be heard slamming in the background and the child actors frequently forgot their lines alltogether. Sometimes I wonder about the sobriety of some of the camera operators back then. But what the heck, it scared the beejeebers out of us as kids. The best part, is, it's alot better than 90% of the crap they have on today (i.e. reality shows), and given how many episodes there are, you can never run out of something different to watch. Plus the best extra bonus, our kids hate this stuff, and we can finally have some time alone to ourselves if front of our beloved boxes. I recommend starting at the beginning (vol 1) and only watching 2-3 episodes at a time. I only hope that MCI can one day find the copies of the first year (pre-Barnabus) to complete the set. I also hope that one day, the movies House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows will be released on DVD (right now they are only out on VHS). Besides, there are over 40 episodes and special features per set. This is only about $1.00 per episode to own and enjoy forever (alike the eternal Barnabus).

3.0 out of 5 stars Now we're getting somewhere, March 10, 2005
This review is from: Dark Shadows DVD Collection 12 (DVD)
As someone who is watching the show for the first time, I've felt it's been in something of a slump ever since Victoria returned from 1795 and the Adam storyline began. Robert Rodan did what he could with the Adam character but the Frankenstein plot bordered on the ridiculous at times. This sequence was rescued primarily by the performance of Humbert Allen Astredo, one of the better actors to appear on the show, as Nicholas Blair.

Now things are picking up again, with the journey back to 1897 just around the corner and the surprisingly complex Quentin Collins plot. I have mixed feelings about Don Briscoe, who plays Chris Jennings, and the less we see of Roger Davis the better... but the show is finally getting back to that "can't put it down" pace that keeps me watching three to six episodes at a sitting.

And it gets even better in the next set!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps getting better..., May 26, 2004
This review is from: Dark Shadows DVD Collection 12 (DVD)
Not only does this show take me back to being a kid again, it holds up well against the so-called horror genre of today - faulty camera work and blown lines aside. I hardly finish watching one DVD set before I start getting anxious for the next. And no, I don't go to conventions nor dress like a vampire. But it can be greatly enjoyed as the "guilty pleasure" portion of a balanced life. And since Quentin was introduced in the storyline last set, this one is poised to really heat up. They just keep getting better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb classic!, December 14, 2008
This review is from: Dark Shadows DVD Collection 12 (DVD)
High quality DVDs made from the original program material. A classic show I enjoyed then, and enjoy now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Memories of childhood, October 8, 2008
This review is from: Dark Shadows DVD Collection 12 (DVD)
I watched this series after school every day when I was a kid and it was my "fun time" then. It is still just as fun and brings back great memories of my childhood. The videos have some damage but the studio tells you right up front that they decided not to cut any of the original film and the damage was in the original. So, it's worth the glitches to have the whole series, just as it was broadcast, without commercials!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Probably my LEAST favorite of all the DVD sets, June 18, 2006
This review is from: Dark Shadows DVD Collection 12 (DVD)
This set starts out pretty well, with Chris Jennings turning into a werewolf, and Barnabas going back in time to 1795 to save Vicki from the hangman. The werewolf stuff is pretty good, except for the way they keep having people show up to have a long conversation with Chris just as he's about to undergo the transformation. He acts really uncomfortable, trying to politely tell them to leave, then he finally has to get rude. By about the fifth time they repeat this exact same thing, it's gets pretty old. On the other hand, the trip to 1795 is especially nice. It's my favorite time period and any time spent there is fine by me. Angelique looks especially fabulous, unfortunately this plot line gets cut rather short. I would have preferred if they spent twice as long in 1795 and really fleshed out the story a bit more. There's also a plot with Elizabeth who seems to have died, but actually she's just under a curse from Cassandra. I enjoyed that quite a bit as well.

But then comes the bad part - Quentin possessing the two kids, David and Amy. This just gets more and more unbearable the longer it goes on. The kids act like absolute brats, Amy Jennings' voice gets to be like fingernails on a chalkboard after a while, and it's just episode after episode of nothing but these kids. Now, I don't mind the kids in small doses, but this is way too much. Their constant overacting really grates on my nerves. They tell their utterly transparent lies, always switching to their "innocent little me" tone of voice when doing it, then they share a smug smile with each other afterwards, and all the adults act like complete imbeciles. And poor Maggie, they utterly lobotomized her character to accommodate the kids being brats storyline. The really sad thing is, if they had just played this whole plot line more low-key, for instance "David...what are we going to do?" instead of "David!!! What are we going to do!!!" it could have been very creepy and effective, and the kids could have come off as innocent and sympathetic victims of the possession. When they get completely frantic towards the end, it would have been emotionally gripping. But, um, no...that didn't happen.

Towards the end, Chris Jennings is contacted by Ned Stuart (Roger Davis in yet another role), and finds out his wife, whom he presumed dead, is still alive. Professor Stokes also shows up to perform an exorcism of Collinwood. These little bits are pretty interesting once again, and hopefully a sign of things to come.

I am SO looking forward to getting on with the next DVD set, when we get a bunch of new characters and a de-emphasis of the kids. I DESERVE some good episodes after suffering through this stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest DVD sets I've seen yet!, October 14, 2011
This review is from: Dark Shadows DVD Collection 12 (DVD)
I must say for the record that the creators of these DVD sets have done an excellent job of it...
This set No. 11, and, all the sets I'ver purchased of Dark Shadows-the original series was well thought out, well made, and, copies are clean. I like the fact that they did not edit out the original mistakes inherent when the show was originally broadcast between 1966, and, 1971.

I also enjoyed the interviews with the different actors, and, producers of this gothic horror classic. Dan Curtis, and, all the fine actors, and, actresses should be proud of the excellent job they did.
From the time the show first started through the time that Johnathan Frid joined as Barnabas, on to others who later joined the series, this classic soap opera of horror, ghosts, witches, vampires, demons, and, just plain evil doers keeps you on the edge of your seat.
I really enjoy the original story of Quentin Collins's ghost.
I just can't speak highly enough of the series. I used to really enjoy it.
I am pleased to see they retainned all the original mistakes, mis-cues, etc...
I just can't say enough of my reccommendation of Dark Shadows to both original, and, new fans....
Bill Cahill

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Scary Gothic Series, September 21, 2012
Pamela J. Fox (St. Charles, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Shadows DVD Collection 12 (DVD)
If you are following along with the Dark Shadows episodes, this collection does not disappoint! Unique twists in the plot keep me coming back for more. Even with technical difficulties (fully shown -- the episodes are not edited) this is gripping drama that works. I watched the series in the 60's and I love being able to recapture the thrills and chills with these collections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids, Don't Mess With Ghosts..., April 16, 2012
This review is from: Dark Shadows DVD Collection 12 (DVD)
I know many of you rushed home from school to watch this series... But you're grown now. You prob'ly know better than to talk to ghosts? At first, it can be fun? Not so fun if someone becomes hysterical - or something worse. First it's funny? Then it's not. Maybe you could use your new camera to take photos of nature... Not ghosts. Uncle Barnabus should have told straight up: hanging out with a ghost will only cause trouble. Don't do it. Are you out to annoy the new governess? Hide and Seek? Bad Kids, bad! She told you to stay in doors!! Um, that's just not OK! Keep up these antics and you could just lose your entire inheritance! Aunties and Uncles are known to rise from the dead all the time around here. Be careful, Kids. Don't mess with ghosts... These tricks are not made for you. ; -)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dark Shadows DVD Collection 12
Dark Shadows DVD Collection 12 by Jonathan Frid (DVD - 2004)
Used & New from: $13.86