Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dark Stars Rising: Conversations from the Outer Realms
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on July 12, 2011
Thanks to Shade Rupe for "Dark Stars Rising", a collection of cinematic interviews concentrating on the darker set. Any book that starts with Divine, ends with Crispin Hellion Glover; and includes Genesis P-Orridge, Tura Satana, and Alejandro Jodorowsky among others HAS to beat run-of-the-mill tell-all trash. This is the real deal, a grand grimoire for the 21st. century, brimming with elegantly conceived filth for the discerning psychonaut.
on February 2, 2012
When you can get through a 560-paged book in two sittings (as I did with this semi-door stop-sized volume), that's saying something.

International film festival producer Shade Rupe delivers this collection of interviews with 27 film makers, artists, writers, actors and performance artists. Each interview is as unique as the person being questioned, from cult movie icon Udo Kier to artist Andre Lassen, from everyone's favorite drag queen Divine to legendary director Alejandro Jodorowsky, there's something here for anyone who loves unusual entertainment (especially cinema).

A couple of chapters even hit me on a personal level. The late Chas. Balun (who not only gave my old fanzine, STINK, a nod in an issue of his DEEP RED magazine, but was an inspiration to me as a DIY guy) has a very informative interview here, conducted in 1994. Chas. was a fan's fan, a true horror fan who did more to get seldom-seen films into the hands of horror geeks around the globe than anyone else I can think of. In the wake of his passing, some of his statements here actually made me all misty...

Rupe's interview with COMBAT SHOCK director Buddy Giovinazzo (conducted in 1995) is chock-full of info I was unaware of, and I was thrilled to see him get such long-overdue coverage in a book of this nature (Buddy was also a film teacher at my local college, the College of Staten Island). Great stuff.

Rupe has introduced me to a few people here, and I found myself equally interested in every chapter, regardless of how familiar I was with the person's work. As a bonus, this Headpress Book is simply GORE-geous: there's countless photos, ad mats, and rare stills, something you'll never be able to fully appreciate on an e-reader (and MAN does this ink smell GOOD!).

Horror and cult film fans take note as there's interviews with William 'MANIAC' Lustig, Gaspar 'ENTER THE VOID' Noe, Jim 'DEADBEAT AT DAWN' Van Bebber, and Tura 'FASTER PUSSYCAT, KILL! KILL!' Satana. There's also a rare "talking" interview with the usually silent Teller (of Penn & Teller fame) that turned out to be one of the more enjoyable sections of the book. Comic geeks will also be thrilled over the Arnold Drake interview, as well as Rupe's yak-session with MEAT CAKE creator Dame Darcy.

If you're a die hard cinephile or art nut, there's no reason not to have this on your shelf ASAP. I'm quite impressed...
on March 26, 2012
I picked this up after hearing from Ken Russell how great it was, and being a Russell fan I decided to check out. While I found the interviews with Genesis P Orridge, Tura Satana, Teller, Devine, Udo Kier and Alejandro Jodorosky intresting. A large portion of the book featured unknows I have never heard of before, and so it kinda of made it hard to get through 500 plus pages. I still think it's an intresting book nonetheless.
on January 21, 2011
This book takes elements of Re/Search, Apocalypse Culture, and Answer Me to a whole new, fully realized level. The in depth interviews collected here unearth and provide insights into each subject's world in a way not often found by the average interviewer. I couldn't put this book down until I had read it in it's entirety. If you have an interest in any of the people interviewed in this book then go buy this now before it sells out. You won't be disappointed!!!
on March 18, 2011
dark stars rising is packed full of interviews with the most outer fringe artists. these artists push the boundaries of creativity and thankfully, are brave enough to give the finger to political correctness. all the interviews are very in-depth and educational. some of the people interviewed are: divine, richard kern, teller, udo kier, jodorowsky, floria sigismondi, the late tura satana, richard stanley and crispin glover. there are also some book and movie reviews to round out this 550 page tome. i didn't think headpress were still around so was pleasantly surprised to see this title. if you are a fan of the underground/independent art movement, whether movies, music, art or any other entertainment, this is a must read!
on December 2, 2012
So many entertainment industry interviews are dull and perfunctory.
Rupe's spot on with his insightfull questions. A must for the
moviephile who thinks outside the frame.
on January 18, 2012
I was highly disappointed with this book, as it was not what all the hype and good reviews claimed it to be. It was nothing more than collection of fanzine type interviews with a lot of people I have never ever heard of, nor was there any background on who these people were before they started the interviews. I also think the way the interviews were conducted were very amateurish and it was made like it was conversation the reader was not let in on.
I don't understand all the great reviews of this book, but I am returning this book and getting a refund and ordering a book that I will actually get something out of and enjoy. Shade Rupe you need to go back to school and learn how to interview people ... i will never be reading your stuff ever again.
44 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse