5,212 Reviews
 (3,361)
 (1,022)

Published 15 months ago by terrylynn

1.0 out of 5 stars This is Not even a poor imitation of typical Nora Roberts
I have been an amazon.com customer since 1995 and this is the first review I have ever done. I usually can't be bothered, but this book is so atypically Nora Roberts, I had to have my say.

I have always been a big Nora Roberts fan. Unfortunately, with this last book she has dropped off my list of Author's whose books I wait impatiently for.

For all...
Published 15 months ago by Paula Wilson

1.0 out of 5 stars This is Not even a poor imitation of typical Nora Roberts, October 31, 2013
Paula Wilson (Christiansted, VI USA) - See all my reviews

For all intents and purposes this is a copy of the Three sisters Island tribology, except it is not as well written or as well developed. It has the pentagram marked wolf manifestation, Iona is Nell, Branna is Mia and Fin is Sam Logan.

There is absolutely none of the character development I usually enjoy with Nora's books. There was too much description of Ireland and its ruins and no insight into the characters. I can't imagine any woman being attracted to Boyle. He is a non character. I think I would rather reread Three Sisters and save the money.

I don't understand what is going on with Nora. As far as I am concerned, her last good series was Sign of Seven 5 years ago.

Wedding Quartet was cute, but had no paranormal and the characters interaction with each other were over the top and not quite realistic. Boonesboro Inn was nothing but a travel brochure for her Inn, and this last is just nothing.

Do Nora, her editor and her publisher not remember what she has already written? If this was just a write it and get it out there, why did it take a year to get it done. Where is the character development? I just don't understand what happened to Nora after Sign of Seven. I have reread the Seven Trilogy a dozen time and never tire of it. Did success get to Nora?

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money or time, November 5, 2013
I love Nora Roberts, and Three Sisters are my favorite books. Dark Witch is a shabby rip-off of several of her books. I really don't think she wrote this mess, that or she is taking her readers for fools. VERY disappointed!

1.0 out of 5 stars Big, Fat Bummer, November 9, 2013
Gosh I love Nora Roberts. But I simply had to stop reading. It was very boring to me. While I love imagination and imagery, the dark "magick" elements seemed slapped on, excessive and reveled in ugliness. The opening segment taking place in 1263, just stretched on and on. The 90 pages I read, waiting for a turn for the better that never came, were a chore. So disappointing. Pretty cover art though.

1.0 out of 5 stars so-o disappointing, November 8, 2013
I am an avid fan -- have read everything Nora Roberts has written, but something is off with this book, maybe the whole trilogy. It seems repetitive of what has been written before, not really original, as so much of her work is. I got the audiobook version and it is especially bad because the woman who does this version makes the characters except for Iona sound very old. This is not the usual person who records Roberts' books. I will not purchase the rest of the trilogy.

1.0 out of 5 stars A repeat of the Three Sisters trilogy, November 2, 2013
This was simply a retread of the Three Sisters trilogy. The witch theme is getting old and I was bored by midway through this book. I doubt I will even buy the next two books in the series. I hope she gets back on track with her next book or series after this. I'm a huge Nora Roberts fan but she seriously disappointed me with this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not liking it, October 30, 2013
Let me start my saying I am an avid Nora Roberts fan and eagerly await all her new books. That said I was severely disappointed in this book. I really couldn't say why until it hit me! I felt like I was doing a re-read. This book just hit me as a csmash-up of her Sign of Seven Triolgy and her Three Sisters Triolgy with a little bit of "Born In" thrown in. Branna is just another version of Mia and Iona of Nell.I was just totally disappointed in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Romance, Magic, Family, Ireland and Nora Roberts... A Tough Combination to Beat..., October 29, 2013
terrylynn (Virginia/North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
Well, fall is here, the leaves are changing and right on time, Nora Roberts gives us another engaging trilogy to curl up with. Dark Witch is about the O'Dwyer cousins Iona, Conner and Branna, all witches determined to vanquish the evil that has lived and threatened their family for 750 years. The setting for the tale is of course the beautiful Ireland that Roberts knows so well. I first discovered her love for the country in her Irish Born Trilogy... Born in Fire, Born in Ice and Born in Shame, also worth your time if you haven't yet read them.

The story begins in the winter of 1263 where we are introduced to the original Dark Witch Sorcha who tries desperately to vanquish the evil Sorcerer Cabhan who is determined to take her power. But it is left to her three children to keep the source of their family's power safe and pass it down from generation to generation until the power of three comes together again with the strength to rid the world of Cabhan once and for all. Our heroine, Iona Sheehan, has never really fit in anywhere she goes, unless she is with her grandmother. So she decides to move to Ireland in search of her cousins who can help her understand her family's history and the strange powers she seems to possess. When she arrives in beautiful Mayo County Ireland it's all she has dreamed about and more. Her cousins, Branna and Conner know as soon as they meet her, that she is the one they have been waiting for... the one who completes the power of three. As her cousins welcome her into their lives, Iona experiences the warmth and love only a family can bring which is something she has longed for all her life. Working in the stable nearby is a dream for Iona as she has a particular gift when it comes to horses and it doesn't hurt that the owner, Boyle McGrath attracts her like no one ever has before. But as happy as Iona is, she knows she must diligently prepare for what lies ahead because the darkness of Cabhan is never far away and each encounter, whether face to face or in her dreams, is more frightening than the last and she knows that things will get a lot worse before they can get better.

Dark Witch is a good start to this new series. The six main characters are appealing, especially Iona. She is so new to this world of witchcraft that everything amazes and delights her. She's eager, friendly, works hard and wears her heart on her sleeve so it's easy to be happy for her with each new skill she acquires and in the battle ahead she's going to need them! Horse lovers will like this one as they are featured prominently and add so much to the story. It's a pleasant combination of magic, romance, sex, humor and the idea that the real power lies in the strength found in family and friends, and a trip to Ireland with Nora Roberts is always a good thing. Four stars for Dark Witch, number one in the Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy followed by Shadow Spell and Blood Magick.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh, October 31, 2013
I preordered this, looked forward to it appearing on my Kindle, and was very disappointed. The characters were all one-dimensional and not particularly likeable, far too much time was spent on the fact that it rains in Ireland, and there was nothing to draw me into the story, what there was of it. The fact that magic was spelled "magick" throughout the book became tremendously annoying to me, as did the use of "Irish" words and endearments that were never explained, just thrown in there. The "Irish" dialogue seemed affected and annoying, but the kicker were the incredibly silly "spells" the characters cast. I'll grant you it can't be easy to make up something that sounds like it might work, but the rhymes here were lame and the overall effect was laughable rather than impressive. I never managed to make myself care what happened to these people, and I won't be bothering with book 2 & 3. When I compare this to The Witness it's hard to believe they're by the same author.

PS: The character of Iona is a blabbering idiot.
PPS: Boyle is a jerk. Nothing lovable about him.

4.0 out of 5 stars A triumphant return to magical realism, October 29, 2013
What better way to spend a fall evening right before Halloween than curled up with the new Nora Roberts book featuring witches? Yeah, I couldn't think of one either.

Ms. Roberts last couple of trilogies (The Inn Boonsboro Trilogy and The Bride Quartet) have been very much grounded in reality, which I enjoyed, but I was greatly looking forward to her return to magical realism. Throw in Ireland as the setting and I knew this one would rate pretty high.

Iona Sheehan has always felt out of place with her family. As an adult, she craves more in her life and her loving grandmother encourages her to move to Ireland to discover her roots and connect with distant family. She finds herself taken in my her cousins Branna and Connor O'Dwyer and enveloped by them and their close friends, Meara, Fin, and Boyle.

But Iona, Branna, and Connor have more than shared blood in them. They share the power to break an 800 year old curse that started with the original Dark Witch when she refused to turn herself over to the evil Cabhan. He vowed that her descendants would pay the price, but she bound them with powerful magick so that one day the fated three would overcome Cabhan once and for all.

Iona must find her inner strength - while balancing her newfound love of Boyle (duh! You know she was going to hook up with one of them) - to help protect her family.

Nora rarely does wrong in my mind but I thought this was a great start to her new trilogy, much better than some of her more recent magical realism attempts (yeah, I am referring to the Sign of Seven Trilogy which was weak). I did think she used Iona's bubbly personality as a crutch to explain a lot of background and inner feelings through character rambling brought on by nerves. It made some of it feel a bit forced but, on the plus side, did get the story moving quickly!

I am very much looking forward to Shadow Spells, which comes out in May. My money is on Connor and Meara starring in Book Two and I am very much interested in seeing how they come together and how the three Dark Witches continue to fight for what they love.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull., November 3, 2013
I have been a Nora Roberts fan for a long time so I snapped up her latest offering. Looking forward to a good read on a cold rainy day, I dove right in. Three quarters of the way through I stopped, realising that I was really, really bored. That's the fundamental problem with this book, I have read this all before and she's done it better. Stop me if you've heard this before:
Four magic cliches, sorry, people and the normals who love them. Check.
Overblown descriptions of the magic Irish countryside. Check.
Giant evil from ye olde times. Check.
First book is the naive newcomer, last book looking to be the two powerful magic ones who had a previous tormented relationship. Check.
This books reads like Nora had a contract deadline, ran out of ideas and dusted off an old plot outline in the hopes that no one would care.
Boring.

Dark Witch (The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy)
Dark Witch (The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy) by Nora Roberts (MP3 CD - April 1, 2014)
Used & New from: $7.58