5.0 out of 5 stars EPIC book of the series!!
Published on January 24, 2012 by Carla Gallway

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I have to disagree with the rave reviews for this book. Looking at it as a stand alone, it's just okay. Viewing it as the grand finale of a long series in which I invested time and money, it's a complete miss.

Published on February 26, 2012 by MomOfThree

5.0 out of 5 stars EPIC book of the series!!, January 24, 2012
Midnight Breed is one of the first paranormal romance books I read and I instantly fell in love with the creative and original world Lara Adrian created. The characters stick with you, well after the story has ended and you are always left clamoring for the next book. Every book in this series was great but I have to say that Darker After Midnight is the EPIC book of the series and was truly phenomenal. I really can't give much details without giving away spoilers, so I will do my best to give you a summary.

When Deeper Than Midnight ended, Sterling Chase risked his life by running out of the compound and surrendering himself to the human police and that is where we find him when Darker After Midnight begins. He wanted to give Lucan, the rest of the Order and their mates a chance to flee the compound before the police found them. Chase is now locked up and the bloodlust is riding him hard but he will do what needs to be done in order to save the Order and their mates, the only ones he considers his family and friends. When Tavia Fairchild arrives at the police station for a line up, all hell breaks loose. When Chase meets up again with Tavia, he learns that she is much more than anyone could have expected, to him and to the Breed, and he will stop at nothing to protect her.

Tavia Fairchild is the assistant to a United States senator who also happens to be Dragos' newest minion. Tavia knows nothing about vampires or things that go bump in the night so when she sees Chase for what he really is, and in the throes of bloodlust no less, she thinks he is a monster that's on a killing spree. Tavia's life has been turned upside down. Everything she's ever known is not what it seemed and now Dragos is after her. Utterly alone and weary of who to trust, Tavia decides to go after Dragos to put a stop to his madness.

We also get to see quite a bit of Lucan in this book as well. Lucan is faced with some of the toughest decisions he's ever had to make for the safety of the Order and their mates. After the fiasco that happened at the end of Deeper Than Midnight, Lucan must decide whether or not to flee the compound. And if they flee, where will they go? The biggest test he faces is when Dragos puts his last horrendous plan into motion and puts the entire world into chaos. Now it's up to Lucan to clean up the mess and to try and save the Breed species.

With that said, SO much happens in this book and I don't want to give anything away, so I will not say anything more. This book can be read as a standalone, but I definitely recommend reading the series in order because you will not want to miss any of the events that led up to Darker After Midnight. You will fall in love with the world Lara created and all of the characters in it. This book is a MUST read for all Midnight Breed fans, as the story line from the previous books comes to a conclusion and opens up a new world for the Breed. Truly an EPIC read!!

I give DARKER AFTER MIDNIGHT 5 stars (but..if I could give it more I would)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, February 26, 2012

Without giving too much away, here are the issues I had with this book: story rehashing ad nauseum. I get the necessity of bringing series newbies up to speed, but It was almost painful to have a series synopsis in every chapter. Heres a thought: If you are starting a series at the tenth book, you should expect to be a little lost.

This book had more holes and inconsistencies than all of the earlier books combined. Maybe I need to improve my reading comprehension. Or maybe Im just being waaaaaay too picky, but am I the only one who noticed these inconsistencies (MAY BE SPOILERS COMING UP): Dragos Is a second Gen vampire. Only first generation vampires can create minions (this we learned earlier in the series). Dragos is creating minions. Huh? Wait, theres more. Crimson triggers bloodlust. It was forced on Teagan in book three with almost nil effect. It was forced on a vampire in this book with near fatal results. What gives? Ok, maybe I can let that go, but this one really bugged me: i thought vampires couldn't be photographed. Wasn't that why gabrielles cell phone photo of the rogues in the first book could not be deciphered by humans? But in this book civilians are snapping clear vampire pics all over the place. I could go on.... My point is that I was disgusted my the number of inconsistencies. Think I'm being too picky? Maybe. But after spending time and money on a series, I deserve better than an author who is obviously too distracted by her own budding fame to give her readers a decently crafted finale. Sorry.

Though the book had moments that I enjoyed, overall I felt ripped off. The final scenes were not particularly gripping. It should have been more than just Chases story. The war with Dragos evolved over several books. It started with a fierce battle cry and ended with a whimper. It looks like the author is gearing up for a new series. Count me out.

3.0 out of 5 stars In a genre full of lackluster and tepid knockoffs, this is a good book. In a series that has been exemplary, it's a letdown., January 24, 2012
It's awfully hard to keep momentum up through such a long series. Lara Adrian has, for the most part, been successful at keeping me engaged. However, I think this book is the first one that slumped a bit.

Thar be many spoilers ahead. Yar. Don't read if you haven't finished the book yet.

******SPOILERS HERE******

1. YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO STOP READING NOW BEFORE THE SPOILERSSSSS. Bloodlust. Going Rogue. It was supposed to be Sterling Chase's big problemo during this book, and Ms. Adrian definitely delivered on that promise for the first quarter of it. However, I felt that as soon as Chase got his eyeballz on the female protagonist with her glyphs, that struggle faded into the background. It cropped up now and again, notably during the scene where she convinced him to mate her, but I never really believed that fighting this addiction was a real struggle for him. So much of it felt glossed over. For the balance Lara Adrian was trying to walk between smut and action and violence and lurv, I understand why she made that choice. But I felt a bit sad. I wanted to hear about Chase's struggle.

I wonder if Ms. Adrian was hoping for us to believe that being with Tavia was enough to assuage some of that horrible bloodlust... that his lust for her was enough to help him keep the darker urges at bay. Call me a cynic, but I've known addicts, and that notion is way overly romanticized. An addict loves his or her addiction more than he or she loves anything else. And if Chase was really walking the line as closely as he seemed to think, it makes it harder to believe that he was able to shunt that need off for as long as he did.

2. Tavia is a Gen One female. Sigh. I hate it when authors break with their previously established world-building in the efforts to keep things "new" or "fresh." Only males can be Breed. Females with the crescent and teardrop are breedmates. Still. Is Tavia awesome? Absolutely. Chick has awesome Gen One tatts, an eidetic memory, and she is fiercely protective of those she loves. She's a bad-ass. However, she is the Mariest Sue to ever Mary the Sue. I could have forgiven her that if she'd had real chemistry with Chase. But all she appeared to have (in my opinion), was a long-term, blood bond-enforced case of Stockholm Syndrome.

3. Dragos. The end was a total let down. I read about his death, and my eye kept tracking down the page. I had to go back and be like, "Wha? That was it?" Considering how long that story arc has persisted throughout this series, I felt it to be a bit of a let down. Particularly Tavia's role in it. She's a n00b to the whole business of being a Breed. Despite being briefed, I doubt she's suddenly a dab hand at espionage, and the thought that she was able to dupe Dragos at all (even in the smallest of small ways) is kind of a hard thing to swallow.

4. ZOMG, babiez. Everyone has them. Everyone wants them. But no! Must not have! But yes! Want so much! It was kind of ridiculous. The arc between Lucan and Gabrielle felt so stilted and forced and angsty that I pulled a muscle rolling my eyes so hard. And Lucan and Gabrielle are some of my faves.

5. The poison pill. Mentioned about a hojillion times. I was expecting big things from it, but Tavia falling victim to Crimson and its ensuing blood lust was just a weird ending to the book. I hate when novels end on cliffies that are then wrapped up in the epilogue. It's a cheap way of taking away all hope and leaving the reader gasping at the climax of a book, only to put a band aid over the wound in the epilogue. "Oh, but it's okay, because she recovered after six months, and guess what? Gabrielle has a baby! And ta-da! Now the Breed have been inducted into the U.N. Hooray! It can be happy party time now! All the bloodshed was worth it."

So yes. There were many things that ended up irking me in this installment.

BUT WAIT!!! DON'T THINK I HATED IT!! Because I didn't. I know I'm picking things bloody here, but that's only at my leisure, after I've put the book down. What Lara Adrian DOES do very well is pacing and tension. I was white-knuckled as I gulped Darker After Midnight down in one sitting. I wanted Tavia and Chase to have their HEA. I wanted Dragos to pay for all the evil he'd done. I wanted Chase to come back from the edge of blood lust. I felt very strongly for all of them. It's just that when it was done--after I'd read the last page--I felt so unsatisfied. I got up, made myself a cup of tea, and started a list of what--ultimately--bothered me about Darker After Midnight. It turned into points 1 to 5 above.

I guess it boils down to this: In a genre full of lackluster novels and tepid knockoffs of lackluster novels, this is a very good book. In a series that has been exemplary, it's a bit of a let down. (Hovering somewhere between 2.5 and 3 out of 5 stars for me. I rounded up because I lub Lara Adrian normally.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I had hoped, February 24, 2012
After literally gobbling up every book in this series in a matter of weeks, including a Breedmate Novella, I had high hopes for this book. Maybe my benchmark was too high because in the end, the book felt rushed and loose ends were woven together too quickly in the last few chapters.

I enjoyed the story of Chase and Tavia. I enjoyed learning some Breed culture. I liked how the kids (teenagers) were moving towards a "normal" life. I was quite happy with all of it. But the ending was anti-climatic. It was as if Ms. Adrian decided 3/4 of the way through the book that this would be the last installment. Dragos had to die, the Breed had to "come out", and there had to be an introduction of epic proportions. Oh, and throw in a few babies for good measure so everyone could live happily ever after. And the last few bits in an Epilogue too.

Obviously I'm disappointed but to watch a writer grow and "bloom" and then suddenly crash is a lot for a fan to absorb. Of course I'll buy Ms.Adrian's next novel but it will be with trepidation.

1.0 out of 5 stars It really Is Not Worth $24.99, February 4, 2012
*****Some Spoiler*****
I just finished Lara Adrian's Darker After Midnight. I have been waiting for this book for months and it was like my birthday again when I finally open its first page.
Then not even halfway there the book started to go stale. Not because of Chase, I loved him since his first appearance and watching his struggle just breaks my heart. It's not the heroine either because even if she is the not the strongest heroine, her character was okay.
I think it's because the story is bugged down with characters - mostly past ones. Don't get me wrong I love seeing past characters but in this story, ALL the past characters appear to impart information that can be delivered by half their number. It's almost like a roll call of past characters because as they appear there goes the summary of their past book. I think the author did it for newer readers but for a returning reader like me it's like, I get it, next action please. The returning characters just slows down the action of the story.
The very anticlimactic death of Dragos is a bummer as well. It's like, `That's it!?' because it's not even a page and he is dead. Arggghhh....
Lastly, and maybe it's just me, but the Breed going public is just a killer. I don't know, I like them just fine before standing in the shadow with weapons, strong, unflappable, and a cadre of humanity against evil. Their appeal is their unswerving defense of humanity against evil even without the acknowledgement or honor or spotlight and for me that's the perfect GUARDIAN. Putting them out there in the world's spotlight just lost their mystery and appeal.
Overall, this book is not worth it's twenty five dollar price.
And for those who haven't bought this book yet, don't waste your hard earned money for a book that is not even par to the first four books of this series. It really is not worth it. Borrow it from your library because Ms. Adrian is known enough that most libraries will have this book.
Sigh, another series goes down the drain.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was good, but I sadly did a lot of skimming. 4*s for Chase's story, 2*s for all of the changes to the Breed world., January 30, 2012
Alyce In Wonderland "The Looking Glass" (Over the hill or underland, or just behind a tree) - See all my reviews
SPOILERS*******

Lara's series is one I have always looked forward to reading. I can't say I'm as excited about what is to come next at this point. I have a bad feeling that this series is about to fall into the same cluster- "fluck" as many series before it. The author seems to be grasping at all new story lines to keep her series going. (Sound familiar... Dark Hunter series, BDB series, etc.).

All of a sudden, there are species that no one knew about before? Female Gen-Ones (although I have to admit that I loved Tavia's brief bad-a** female warrior moment when Chase was threatened), Atlantian men who like to procreate and flee...

No one ever noticed, in all of those hundreds of years that have passed, that the breedmates families were all missing or dead?

If it was so easy to unleash the Rogues, why would Dragos have waited so long to do it?

The humans and the Breed are living in peace...Kum ba yah. "Can't we all just get along?"

All of these huge changes in the Breed world, happening all at once, seems a little too coincidental. And a little desperate. It's the darkly sexy and mysterious Breed world that has kept many of us readers wrapt for several books. But that was swiftly brought to an end in the last couple chapters and epilogue of Darker than Midnight.
I found the Atlantian theory boring to read about and skimmed through a lot if it. (Can we get back to Chase's story now?). Enough said.

Despite all of that, my interest in Chase's story was strong enough to keep me reading. I absorbed his story completely and wanted more.

Unfortunately, now that the guys and their mates are public knowledge, there would be no need for them to continue to live in underground dark havens. They can all move into apartments and single family homes. Sadly, the Breed have become just another accepted nation in the world. Nothing more or less mysterious than your next- door neighbor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sterling Chase Rocks, April 9, 2012
I have had this book for a few months and hadn't read it...What was I thinking???? Sterling Chase was someone we watched for some time now. From his loss of his brother, to his infatuation of his sister in law Elise and then to his killing his nephew. I had always felt sorry for him, worried about him and then he let loose and we lost him. But he was always in the shadows. I LOVED THIS BOOK...and I also loved Tavia for him. Th story was amazing, held my interest with no spacing out. There is nothing I would have changed and yes twins in a few months...Couldn't have happened to a nicer brother of the heart.
It was also great to connect with the families living in the Order. Babies born, and my Tegan and Lucan are daddies...yay all is well in my world!!!!

great read

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Series Climax Peters Out, March 30, 2012
This review is from: Darker After Midnight (with bonus novella A Taste of Midnight): A Midnight Breed Novel (Kindle Edition)
A lot's already been said, and I have to agree with the complaints. Way too much going on, stories that should have been explored more thoroughly in earlier books, and a wtf of a way too kumbya ending. And Chase's story should have been developed far, far more. One thing I have to add:

***SPOILER***

Um, I read this whole series recently, so the earlier books are still fresh in my mind. Remember Mira? The infallible seer? Why didn't her vision of how Dragos died have anything whatsoever to do with how he actually got put out of everyone's misery?

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Climax to Series, January 26, 2012
My Rating: 5 stars: Personal favorite - a must read (A+)

Last we saw outcast Breed warrior, Chase Sterling, he was sacrificing himself to save his former friends and comrades. Darker After Midnight picks up immediate after the conclusion of Deeper Than Midnight. Chase has been incarcerated by the human police force, the Order has gone into hiding and Dragos is taking over Boston. It's a scary time for law-abiding Breeds. Chase is hell-bent on bring Dragos down, which includes killing off some very high-profile human Minions (mind-slaves to Dragos).

Right in the center of Chase's path of vengeance is the exotic Tavia Fairchild, and soon they both discover she is so much more than anyone understands. Tavia has been lied to her entire life and is inexplicable drawn to Chase. Although she fears him, she stays with Chase because he tells her the truth. Together the two attempt to discover her true origins and bring down Dragos.

So much happens in this story, but it never felt overwhelming or forced. I could write three pages alone of basic plot summary. But the bottom line is that whether you are new to the series or a long time fan, Ms. Adrian does a fantastic job bringing the reader up to speed on both the story arc and the characters without being redundant or intrusive. In the beginning, she writes "slice of life" sections, which give insight into the lives of all of the characters, but also provide an effortless way to catch up on the first nine books (which is especially great for those of us that don't have the best memories). She also does a superb job of covertly mentioning facts so the can remember who is mated to whom, which warriors have moved on, etc.

I also love how Ms. Adrian paints a scene for her readers. She provides details that help construct almost tangible images. It's done in a way without being wordy or obtuse.

The pairing of Chase and Tavia is exemplary! They both feel damaged by life and don't trust others. They find truth and salvation in each other's arms, but it takes time. I adore that they both make mistakes, and then realize that they want to be better for each other. And their smex scenes... WOW! They are intensely erotic. Like most romances, the pair must give and go through a lot, but this is one of those situations where the couple just comes together for all the right reasons, and it feels perfect.

The book also brings the series fans full circle with a Gabrielle and Lucan subplot. The couple doesn't dominate the book, but rather compliments the overall story - we started with them in the very first book, and it is fitting to come back to the Order's leader and his mate. Lucan's struggle between wanting to have a child and concerns over a violent future are heart-felt and emotionally wrenching. There is a scene between the two - a discussion about having a baby that showcased Lucan's inner-turmoil and the complete love and devotion each has for the other, and it tore me up inside.

This was most definitely the conclusion of a major story-arc involving Dragos and his Gen One Hunters. But this is NOT the end of this amazing series. Ms. Adrian has already announced that the upcoming story arc will focus on the younger characters, with the next release focusing on the mysterious Mira.

So much happened that leads to the next story. We are given glimpses of the Breeds and Breedmate origins, Jenna is still evolving and Tavia is a miracle that leaves so many possibilities for the future. Without giving spoilers, I will tell you that this book changes the game in a MAJOR way and I am more excited than ever to see what comes next!

I honestly could go on and on. I have so much exuberance for Darker After Midnight because it is the perfect climax to this amazing series. I only hope that I got a fraction of how wonderful this book is within my review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat lacking. Too many books maybe?, January 28, 2012
I won't write a long review as everyone else has pretty much said it all. I was disappointed in Hunter's story but thought maybe it was just me. Was really looking forward to Sterling's story and almost feel like I was duped. I guess the series has gone on long enough which is in itself disappointing. I've found a couple more somewhat like this so I guess I'll stick with them.

Rate and Discover Movies