5.0 out of 5 stars One of My Fav Urban Fantasy Series
Published on November 8, 2010 by Parajunkee

3.0 out of 5 stars It started to get better...
...and then it stopped. Literally.

Published on November 2, 2006 by lwd

3.0 out of 5 stars It started to get better..., November 2, 2006
lwd (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Darkfever (Hardcover)
...and then it stopped. Literally.

I knew going in that this was a five book series, in her blog Ms. Moning warned us of that fact. I did not realize this would be a classic cliffhanger with a "tune in next time..." last page. If this is the kind of thing that bugs you, as much as it does me, I suggest you wait until all five books are published before you start. In the past the author has taken up to a year or more between books, so it could be a long wait.

Back to our story - as much as was there, in any event. A young college student is murdered in Ireland. The local police are stumped, the family is devastated. A cryptic message from the victim is left on the voice mail of the younger sister's cell phone, and she comes to Ireland to try and find out what happened. The Dark Fae look to be responsible, and our characters need to deal with it. The story twists, turns, starts to come into focus - and then the cliffhanger.

The characters are... okay, awful. The heroine, sister of the murder victim, is supposedly a twenty-two year old sidhe-seer, and most of the time comes across like a twelve year old Junior Miss Pageant winner. She uses the word "pretty" a lot (you will learn to hate the word). She has pretty little tanned legs, pretty blond hair, pretty skin, pretty clothes, pretty little shoes, and (my personal bugaboo) pretty Ice Princess Pink Blush nail polish on her pretty little fingers and toes. Naïve and immature doesn't begin to describe MacKayla. We are expected to believe she is a product of her pretty little small town, and over protective background. Not buying it. If you are from a small town, and I am, you will be insulted by the inference. About the time MacKayla starts to mature to about a thirteen year old personality, here comes that cliffhanger.

Our hero, Barron (I think he's the hero, the jury's still out), is dark, brooding, ultra masculine, handsome, rich, patronizing, and somewhat brutal. At first he tries to get rid of MacKayla by physical intimidation, then decides to use her untrained Sidhe-Seer talents to help him fight the Unseelie Sidhe and find their "Dark Book". After awhile, Barron starts to feel some gentler emotions toward MacKayla - and then the cliffhanger.

There is no actual sex in the book, but, be warned, there are some rather brutal almost rape encounters with MacKayla and the Fae. Because MacKayla is so very young and immature mentally, these scenes seem even more horrific than usual.

(Note to the author: If and when, sometime in the next four books, this turns into a romance between the two main characters, which I suspect it will, I sincerely hope you have MacKayla mature a whole lot, or Barron is going to come across as a rather creepy pedophile. At that point, you will lose me as a reader. Some lines can't be crossed.)

Three stars because -Actually, I don't know why. Two are too few and I did finish the book in an evening. Four stars are too generous for a mere chapter in an incomplete story with characters that are less than stellar. I will be reading the next book in the series because...

... oh, hell. because it's a cliffhanger, and I'm weak.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of My Fav Urban Fantasy Series, November 8, 2010
Parajunkee (Jefferson, LA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is one of my all time favorite Urban Fantasy series. I have a thing for faeries, whether they are good or bad faeries, I don't care bring them on! Moning, in her wonderful MacKayla Lane series, has created a world both entirely creepy and wonderfully compelling. She blends bare bones human emotion with fantastical and horrifying creatures. Her creations, Mac & Barrons are one of the most resonating characters that I have had the pleasure of reading. If you haven't partaken of this series...what is holding you back?

REVIEW: MacKayla Lane's ordinary world is suddenly thrust into the extraordinary with one phone call. A cryptic voice mail left by her sister right before she dies changes Mac's life forever. Desperate to find answers to her sister's murder and figure out the odd message, Mac journeys to Ireland. Immediately she realizes that something is not quite what it seems.

As her own life becomes threatened and creatures from her nightmares take shape into reality, Mac is thrust into the path of Jericho Barrons, another mystery. Not quite sure whether he is there to help or hinder, Mac must align herself with someone, because she can't do this on her own. The problem, Barrons has one focus and Mac seems like the ticket to that conclusion: Find the Sinsar Dubh - the object that will control both the mortal world and the world of the Fae. Just what will he use it for?

A very intricate plot with twists and turns that left me breathless. I rooted for Mac every step of the way and as she got deeper and deeper the intrigue only worsened. The relationships Mac had with all her side characters were so in depth that I felt I knew them all personally. A well constructed novel, by far - with excellent dialogue that made me feel like I was a part of the conversation. The characters are so well structured and 4 dimensional that I would swear they are actually real. On top of the depth of the characters the range of human emotions and morality that is touched upon in the novel resonates as real real real. Moning has gift...and that gift is understanding human nature and weaving it into her stories. You aren't just entertained, you are schooled. Once again, a must read.

RECOMMENDATIONS: Adults only, has some R rated themes. This is an urban fantasy novel, with any romantic hinting, just that - a hint. Fans of Richelle Mead's Succubus or Eugenie series should enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing storyteller. Will keep you at the edge of your seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, September 10, 2010
Let me start out by saying I've been reading romance novels for ever 10 years now. I'm always on the the hunt for a new exciting story/author. I was delighted to to find both of these in darkfever. To say this story is simply a romance would be wrong. It's a mystery, thriller, suspense with a healthy dash of romance. All of this adds up to a wonderful story. Tried of reading romance novels with predictable endings? This is what you've been waiting for. Darkfever in a nutshell is the story of Mac and her journey to avenge her sister. This story does contain a lot of paranormal elements, however it does not overpower the plot. You find yourself caring for the characters and falling in love with them. Ms. Moning does such a good job, that you don't care if they're human/fae/devel, you root for them anyway. I loved them this book. There are five books in this series. There are cliffhangers at the end but it makes you actively think about the story and it only adds to the fun. Honestely what book have you read and you're still thinking about weeks/months later?? Trust me, challenge yourself if this is not your usual 'cup of tea'. Pick up this book, take a chance, you will NOT regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A novel of world class, September 7, 2007
Ok, this book should come with a warning! Or maybe it's already out there and I just didn't pick it up. Have you ever read the previous books of Karen Moning and expect the same? Well, forget it! Longing for delicious dark Fae or Highlander as a hero? Dig up your magnifying glass. Do you want romance, passion and plundering bodies? Give the snooze button another hit! For Karen Moning turns into another direction and yet you read an original Moning all the way!!

Mackayla is an average 22 year old with normal wants and needs, but with one phone call her life takes a dramatic turn. Her sister and best friend Alina was murdered in Ireland and she leaves Mackayla a message which doesn't make sense. It doesn't take long for Mac to decide to go to Ireland and figure out what her sister tried to tell her.

In Ireland the police isn't helping her very much, friends and professors at the trinity college also don't remember much and what they do remember doesn't sound like Alina at all. At night she goes into a pub for dinner and she sees a gorgeous man enter, staring at him she suddenly sees a flash of something else. Then there's an weird old lady telling her not to reveal their kind. She must be tired for she just doesn't understand. The next day Mac wants to research the meaning of the word: Shi-Sadu, for Alina mentioned it in her message.

If it's faith or something else Mac finds a bookstore and Jericho Barrons, who obviously knows something but isn't willing to reveal anything... two can play that game so Mac isn't answering his questions either. Mac isn't getting anywhere with her research and it's frustrating, but be careful what you wish for.....

With this first book in the fever series Karen Moning takes us further into the realm of Unseelie, Seelie and the Tuathé de Danaan. From the very first page I wandered into Mackayla's world, feeling her emotions, despair, grief, but also her determination to find that what destroyed her sisters light. With every page the suspense is building up, question's rise with Mac as she enters a world and you hope that she finds her answers. V'Lane and Barrons make me want more. V'Lane as a death-by-sex Fae ( God I love that expression of Mac) makes a woman throb for everything a male body has to offer ( and how can Karen Moning do this to us!! I wanted plundering wild passion, hungry devouring bodies as only she can write it. She puts us on a diet and ladies, I'm starving!) and Barrons, he's so mysterious about who he is and Karen Moning gives us just a few hints of information, talk about torture!!!

All my comments on this book is given with a wink because with her unique and rich writing style Karen Moning gives us a Fantasy/Suspense novel of world class and although I missed the romance aspect a little bit she fills it up with an amazing fast paced story, an incredible heroine and a quest of mega proportion's in a world that's just not the same anymore.
I've closed the book that leaves me wanting for more as the ending seems like it's just the beginning.

courtesy of realmsonourbookshelves

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Beginning, September 9, 2010
I basically picked up this book becasue all of my book resources recommend this series as a standout. I am not ready to agree to that yet but I did like this book and I will read the rest of the series.

Our heroine Mac has received flack online for being 'too stupid to live' or too involved with make up and fashion. I didn't find her too stupid at all. Any mistakes she made could have been made by anyone thrust into this crazy new world. Mac goes to Dublin to investigate her sister's murder and learns what she believes led to her sister's death...both of the sisters can see the fae. Somehow the dark and evil fae are coming into our world in larger numbers. One of them, or something involved with them, has killed Mac's sister.

Mac does go on sometimes about make up and such. Its not a lot compared to some paranormal chick lit on shelves now, but for this type of book it did stand out. maybe it will be toned down as the series progresses.

I like the character of Barrons. The man is rude and mean but I was never sure if he was all good or all bad. That kept him entertaining. I also like Moning's writing. I wasn't fond of the idea of the relics and the quest for them. I personally usually find that type of story tedious. The plot could get old with this fast.

Moning does a great job of ending the story in a way that isn't frusterating but still leaves things open and the reader wanting answers. As long as the rest of the books in this series are at least this good they should be worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Book - Fabulous Series, December 2, 2010
It isn't often you read something that surprises you. I didn't want to like the main heroine because personality types like her's often annoy me like crazy. The girl is vain, more interested in her wardrobe than the reality of the world, and gets a wake up call. Throughout the whole series, not just this book, you see this girl transform from mundane to extraordinary in unexpected and surprising ways. I won't bother summing up the book or recapping the highlights because others have already done so. But I truthfully have to say I love it when an author doesn't baby their pet characters. These characters are beautifully flawed. They are so much so (flawed that is) that they become real to me. There hasn't been a book five in a series I've anticipated more than I have the last one in this series coming out the 18th of Jan. It's on pre-order and I never do that.

Read this series. It's fabulous. In fact, I only read it because it was on so many top fantasy lists on this site. In fact its on a lot of all time favorites lists everywhere. I see why now after reading all four. Thank you so much for the wonderful story, the surprise twists and turns, and all the favor and color you've thrust into the pages of this series.

Absolutely A+ and a beautiful long remembered loving read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Addictive, December 11, 2009
CC (Lake St. Louis, MO, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Darkfever: Fever Series Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
I read this because it was recommended to me on Amazon. Boy am I glad it was. I am hooked and immediately bought the next book. Loved that too. I'm sure I will love the whole series.

I was drawn into the world that Moning created and felt like I had a vested interest in the main characters. I kept reading and reading and could barely put the Kindle down. Then, just as things got incredibly exciting the book ended. Lucky for me, the next book was already written and available on Kindle so I could pick up where I left off. I feel sorry for those who read this when it was first released and had to wait to continue the journey.

Get this book, fasten your seatbelt, hold on tight, and enjoy the ride!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buffy the dark fae slayer!, October 18, 2009
This review is from: Darkfever: Fever Series Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book! I'm almost embarassed that I got it for free, because it is definately worth [...] bucks. The heroine Mackayla reminds me of buffy the vampire slayer without the corny valley girl slang. The anti-hero hero Jerrico is smokin hot! yeah, He might be an ass, but he's there for Mac when she needs him the most. Run don't walk to get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a romance - but still a great read!, October 14, 2007
I think I've read all of Moning's books, so I was excited to read this book, even though she said it is not a romance. It definitely is NOT a romance, but it sure does sizzle. Mac (main character) tells her story in past tense and she is reliving it for us. If you like Karen Marie Moning's books for their wit and imagery, you will like this book... just don't expect romance (at least not in this part of the series)

4.0 out of 5 stars It isn't romance... yet.... but it is still wonderful!!!, November 1, 2006
This review is from: Darkfever (Hardcover)
Karen is back! She took her time, paced the book well, it felt GREAT to be reading a book from her again that I REALLY enjoyed!

I am glad that she took into account that we are not stupid people who will be slaves to an overused formula...however successful.

My problems with her last two books was that the story was forced and plagued by scenes that were far too explicit for characters I desperately wanted to be "in love" not "in lust" with each other.

I am not even sure this is a romance novel...at least not yet. The main characters are plagued with obstacles that make romance at this time impossible...But I do like where it is going and the anticipation is spectacular. At the conclusion of the book I am left with tons of questions and I am absolutely going to buy the next in the series. (Even if the bits with V'lane were treading the slippery slope of tastefulness...its briefness made them easier to tolerate.)

I guess in the end if Moning can remember that her previous books were about falling in love and then the great sex will just happen naturally as the story and plot evolves it won't be offensive.

Darkfever: Fever Series Book 1