5.0 out of 5 stars rediscovering the beauty of the English language with Conrad
Published on November 18, 2009 by slithy tove

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't get it
Published on July 1, 2009 by Holff

5.0 out of 5 stars rediscovering the beauty of the English language with Conrad, November 18, 2009
This review is from: Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer (Centennial Edition) (Signet Classics) (Mass Market Paperback)
I work in tech and haven't had time to read as much fiction as I would like. I feel that 'Heart of Darkness' is a masterpiece of the English language. I found myself re-reading many individual sentences multiple times just to appreciate the pure beauty of Conrad's construction and choice of words. (I've also earned a living as a non-fiction writer of training and ad copy.) There are writers that are a level above the others, Conrad is one of them. I said writer instead of author because this is indeed a wonderful example of the writer's craft, not simple authorship. Now, off to 'Secret Agent' and 'Lord Jim'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Colonialism/Antin-colonialism, November 19, 2008
Joseph Conrad is an amazing writer; he uses the English language of the late 19th and early 20th centuries beautifully, he describes the colonial world at its apogee, he tells engrossing stories but even his seemingly potboiler plots (such as The Secret Sharer) raise disturbingly serious moral issues. All of these qualities are epitomized in The Heart of Darkness. Can anyone read the Heart of Darkness without thinking of Apocalypse Now? I believe the movie is one of the best adaptations of literature to film but the impact of Conrad's story is as vivid as the movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Search for a Crazzzzy Man, March 28, 2014
"The Secret Sharer," which is one of the two short novels in this bi-novel package, taps into that classic theme of a person hiding in a room who does not want to be found. It was first published by Joseph Conrad in 1910. The writing is topnotch, though the means of building suspense by having someone in a room who does not want to be found out handled (much better) by Honore de Balzac in his short story "The Mysterious Mansion" published in 1830 that can be found in The Best Horror Short Stories 1800-1849: A Classic Horror Anthology. Because of this I suggest reading Balzac's classic instead of Conrad's seafaring regurgitation.

On to Conrad's crowning achievement: The Heart of Darkness. The hunt into the heart of a depraved jungle for Mr. Kurtz is one that had few equals up to its publication in 1902. It drew on Conrad's own experience in the Congo and what he saw there. His style of writing is uncomfortable and heated, mimicking the way a person feels on a sultry day. That much is genius and so is one of the first quests in literature for a crazzzzzy person. Francis Ford Coppola got it right in Apocalypse Now and Apocalypse Now Redux: Apocalypse Now Redux [HD]

I need to study this novel, but unfortunately have little time for it at the moment. Sigh. Perhaps when my writing schedule slows down, but there is no end in sight like the darkling jungles as Charles Marlow and his band of sailors troll up the Congo in search the their greatest fears.

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't get it, July 1, 2009
Holff (Zhuhai China) - See all my reviews
I had trouble understanding the purpose and fanfare of Conrad's dual works until I realized he was making a political and social statement. With this in mind, Conrad writes a masterful work on the corruption of the human soul by the greed of colonization. This work is beneficial to English teachers as well as history teachers as it presents the darkness of greed in a relevant setting.

The Secret Sharer on the other hand is less influential. I found it intriguing and well written, but not the triumph Heart of Darkness is. While this is based on a true story, it is less interesting than giants of today. The historical context makes this book valuable. When Conrad first wrote and published this work, it was on the cutting edge of literature, but today is would be considered boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 17, 2014
Fast shipping nice product Purchased for a high school senior

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is., December 15, 2013
It's a book. Two literary works from the same author. Recommendations of other books in the back. What else do you need to know.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so good, made no sense?, July 15, 2014
Required reading for my son, I read it too and we both hated it!! Made absolutely no sense. Had to read notes in the back to learn the meaning. My poor son had to try to write a paper. Too deep for me, I guess

3.0 out of 5 stars hard to understand., September 18, 2010
Luke D. (CT, United States) - See all my reviews
OK. To start off I'm Polish. And I know this guy was Polish, so it would have been politically correct of me to say how much I loved this book, but unfortunately I can't say that. It just wasn't for me.

Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer (Centennial Edition) (Signet Classics)
Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer (Centennial Edition) (Signet Classics) by Joseph Conrad (Mass Market Paperback - August 5, 2008)
$4.95