Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on HTL

Platform: PCChange

on April 5, 2012
After hearing several youtubers recommend this game, I was delighted when I found it on sale for five dollars on Amazon. I have played it for several hours now and here's my impression.

I highly suggest using a gamepad for this as it is a port. The keyboard and mouse controls are mediocre but it was designed for the console, and so it is best played with a console controller. When I first started playing, I was worried because all I seemed to be able to do was mash the X button. Luckily, the game progresses and combos become available for you to buy. From what I've seen, I'm sure there are plenty of awesome combos as you progress further. The controls feel nice as well, although I do wish there was a sprint option.

This game isn't the best-looking, but its art style is fairly interesting. I was actually a bit impressed by what they accomplished on such an old engine. I didn't come across any fps lag or the like, everything was smooth as butter.

Steam is required to play this game, and as I understand, some people are boycotting this game for that reason. Personally I'm not sure why nor do I really care.

This game is definitely very fun so far, and I can't wait to play more. I gave it 4 stars only due to minor flaws but nothing else. Definitely a must-buy, especially when it's only 5 dollars right now.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2011
I got this off steam during a 75% off sale. It was 10 bucks down from 40 so I figured why not. I had never heard of the game so I wasn't expecting much.

Excellent mechanics, similar in this respect to God of War, Prototype, and Onimusha. However it feels less repetitive than Prototype, not that it actually is less repetitive but I found I didn't grow bored as quickly as Prototype.

On PC this game is a port from console. Overall the port is good, but no third-person console port will ever control as well on a mouse and keyboard when the game was designed with a gamepad in mind. I went out and got an xbox360 controller. This basically nullifies the issues with it being a port. Controller was easy to set up and the game runs great with it. So for games like this on a PC just bite the bullet and buy yourself a gamepad. Don't worry, the mouse and keyboard will still be superior on FPS's for a while still.

Graphics and Artwork:

Textures are fairly low resolution, and the engine is based on aging technology "dx9" It's not bad for what it is, but it is definitely limited by it's Console origins.

The artwork is excellent. A big congrats to the modelers, sculptors, texture artists and particularly the Art Director "whoever that may be." The overall design is very cohesive. There's nothing outstandingly original here, the heavy body and armor thing has been done to death ever since Gears of war and quake, and the over sized buster sword has been abused for well over a decade. However, I found it all integrated well into the game and it wasn't distracting "I found the Heavy armor in Gears of war distracting." Modeling and character design is top notch, I'd love to see what this team could do with a cutting edge engine and some tesselation.

Should we even bother talking about this? Totally derivative. However the voice acting and animation is excellent for a video game. Story segments fit seemlessly between sections/levels and despite how contrived of a story it is, I found I enjoyed it.

I gave this 4 out of 5 stars. I actually think it's more of a 3.5 but 3 is definitely too low. This team put out an original title and succeeded in entertaining me. I look forward to the future of this series and hopefully we'll see some more originality, pushing of technology boundaries, and attention to story next time around.

I definitely reccommend but 40 is a little steep.
on July 12, 2012
While the amazon download experience is terrible. You download the entire game, but the install only installs the comic and soundtrack. You get a Steam key that you register with Steam, then it downloads it AGAIN! (good thing I don't have a bandwidth cap!). The Steam install works, thankfully.

That is... after you re-install DirectX, because the game install seems to break the DirectX installation... and you have to install quite a few codecs to get the in-game cutscenes to play. Check the Steam Forums for all the details.

After all that, the game is a lot of fun, I just wish I hadn't wasted my time trying to DL it from Amazon first!
on December 30, 2010
Gameplay is great. Very reminiscent of Soulreaver and the rest of the LoK series. Combat is fast, challenging, and interesting.

The problems come in with the fact that this is one of the shoddiest console to PC ports I've ever played. Having to restart boss battles due to glitching out through the floor while attacking, losing hours of progress to a game bug that prevents a door from opening, random crashes, a complete absence of video options to optimize performance...

In short, buy it for the console.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2014
This game is known for being a really bad PC port in terms of graphics options(there are none). If you are okay with lower res textures and bad shadow effects with no anti-aliasing then this is an awesome game. The game doesn't look bad though, just decent. Running it on older hardware shouldn't be an issue, and I'm playing it on Windows 8 just fine. I've had 2 crashes, both were from the main menu so I didn't lose any game data(phew).

Does have some awesome gameplay though, reminds me a lot of God of War, maybe with a bit more platforming. Lots of weapon combos, nice mix of enemies(although some pretty basic A.I.) Fast-paced combat.

I would highly recommend a PC controller of some sort for this, It's a console game ported to PC, like most it works pretty bad with a mouse/keyboard.

But for it's price at the time I wrote this(10 dollars) it's a more than fair purchase, very fun to play.
on November 7, 2013
I got in late on the game series, but it's more than I imagined. Think Legend of Zelda and Devil May Cry somehow conceived a child. Then that child was only raised on the book of revelations. So think dark, post-apocalyptic atmosphere.

With that said you play as War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Without going into too much detail War is framed for bringing the apocalypose to earth too early and is on a quest to prove his innocense and regain his status and power. You venture into different areas/dungeons, gain new upgrades and equipment, as well as learn more of the plot behind the scenes.

This game has aged a bit, but not like Final Fantasy 7 or Half Life. Pick it up if you're considering playing the second and was into the story. (Second plays a lot smoother.)
on January 21, 2013
Like everyone else said, this game is beautiful and fun; I admire the hard work put into it. Where I draw the line is 75% into it; I just finished it, and I honestly feel that it should have been 25% shorter. Ever hear the saying "too much of a good thing"? Darksiders was meant for this saying; although fun and beautiful, it really gets to be too much, and if made more concise, it would have been a much nice game. I kept thinking I was nearing the end, only to groan at how it was going to drag on that much more with needless puzzles and searches. (A lot of the ideas could have been saved for the sequel.) The guilty "suspects" in this game include the ENTIRE "Black Throne" stage, the search required before the final boss battle, and, of course, the final boss. Otherwise, really nice game.
on February 3, 2013
I don't usually like console to pc ports due to control issues and I prefer first person to third person perspective. That being said, this is a very good game. The graphics are top notch and the story line is interesting. Voice acting is excellent and the music fits in very well. The numerous 'Jumping' puzzles can get a little annoying but overall are well done. The cut scenes are good but the opening scenes to boss fights can become tiresome especially after the 8th or 9th attempt to defeat them. Tiamat for example. Lots of side quests, lots of puzzles and lots of adversaries. Good fun, and, unless you cheat, you can easily spend 50 to a 100 hours playing this game. (getting help is cheating). I strongly recommend Darksiders. By the way a second play through is still fun.
on April 22, 2012
I was a little hesitant to buy this game, but when it went on sale for $5 I just couldn't resist. So glad I gave in! This game is phenomenal! Yes, it does heavily rip-off God of War, Zelda and even Metroid a little, but if you're gonna rip something off, why not do it to critically acclaimed AAA series? This game is a port of the console version, so the graphics won't blow you away if you have a high-end PC, but the framerate is smooth and the graphical detail is still better then the console versions. All in all I found this game to be strangely addicting and I get sucked into and play for hours straight. Haven't been so engrossed in a game since God of War 3. This is a must play in my opinion and I can't wait for Darksiders 2 :)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2013
This game is a puzzle, platformer, hack n' slash. It is like if you crossed Legend of Zelda with God of War.

You travel from one area to another finding hidden items. These items allow you to solve puzzles and reach new paths in previous areas.

The game's combat is like a cross of LoZ and GoW. Lock on to opponents and strafe around them to dodge and attack. Then juggle them in the air with spectacle combos and finish them off with gruesome quick time events.

Bosses are interesting and very from huge to "Wholly crap that is building on legs coming towards me."

The story and characters are interesting. The game ends by teasing a sequel, but still manages to bring closure.