5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read for the Christmas Season
A story with a cowboy always hits the target, but add a little Christmas flair and a saucy heroine and you have a winner.

Published on October 15, 2011 by LAS Reviewer

1.0 out of 5 stars Darn Good Cowboy Christmas was not worth the read.
Published on November 17, 2011 by MoonlightReader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read for the Christmas Season, October 15, 2011
This review is from: Darn Good Cowboy Christmas (Spikes & Spurs) (Mass Market Paperback)

I know when I open a book by Ms. Brown, I'm in for a great time with characters I'll never forget. This book is hot, humorous and a great time. I love a book where there's a little bit of misunderstanding and a lot of longing. Ms. Brown delivers.

Saying Raylen is hot is an understatement. He's smoking hot. He's got Liz's best interests at heart--oh and he really, really wants her. Did I mention that? Yeah, he does. Can I just mention the scene where he brushes her hair was just...wow. Ms. Brown describes it quickly, but being one who likes having her hair brushed by her DH, I could literally feel the same things Liz felt and it gave me shivers.

Liz is...original. She grew up in a family who participated in a traveling carnival. To say she's happy to have a house without wheels is putting it mildly. I loved her independent streak. I could relate to her because I could feel how much she wanted to do things her way and how much she struggled each time she was around Raylen. I mean, how could she not fall for the hottie in the cowboy boots?

I loved the cast of secondary characters and can't wait to read their stories. The ending was fantastic and had me sighing and wishing it was Christmas (instead of wet and dreary like it is right now).

Grab a copy of Darn Good Cowboy Christmas and fall headlong into the Christmas spirit!

Originally posted at the Long and Short of It Romance Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5!A MUST READ CHRISTMAS READ! COWBOY MEETS CIRCUS! DARN GOOD COWBOY CHRISTMAS BY CAROLYN BROWN...., November 16, 2011
DARN GOOD COWBOY CHRISTMAS by Carolyn Brown is an exciting,sassy contemporary romance set in present day Texas. It is book #3 in the "Spikes & Spurs" series,but can be read as a stand alone. See "Love Drunk Cowboy" and "Red's Hot Cowboy". "Darn Good Cowboy Christmas" has everything a contmpory romance reader could want. It has romance, witty dialogue,love,holiday magic, sexy cowboy,sweet sensuality,dark-haired,sexy heroine,traveling carnival, passion,and slow kisses under the mistletoe.It is the story of Lizelle Hanson, raised in a traveling carnival,finding a home and a sexy cowboy next door. And Raylen O'Donnell,a sexy,smokin' hot cowboy next door. This author has done it again with her southern voice in a contemporary romance full of smokin' hot cowboys and sassy,women. Another must read from author,Carolyn Brown. "Darn Good Cowboy Christmas" will appeal to any and all contemporary,western,cowboy,main stream,and romance readers.A Christmas read that will have you turning pages as you watch Raylen and Lizelle have a Darn good Christmas holiday with a few ups and downs. Received for review from the publisher. Details can be found at Sourcebooks Casablanca and My Book Addiction Reviews.

1.0 out of 5 stars Darn Good Cowboy Christmas was not worth the read., November 17, 2011
Lizelle Hanson is a carnie, as she calls herself. She traveled and worked as a fortune teller and belly dancer for most of her life. But what she always wanted was roots; somewhere to call home, a house that has a foundation and not wheels. In fact, that is a Christmas wish that she has; she wants a house and a cowboy. The first part of her wish comes true when her uncle moves out of his house to take care of his father and is going to leave it to her if she still wants to live there after she tries it out for a few months. Liz is ecstatic. She arrives at the house in Texas to find her uncle's neighbor, Raylen O'Donnell, there. He is the very cowboy that she had a crush on when she used to visit her uncle, and she has been fantasizing about him for years. Could this be the second half of her wish coming true?

My Thoughts:
This is the first book that I haven't finished since I started reviewing. I definitely gave it a chance though; I read to page 225. Besides just not being interesting, there were a lot of things that bothered me about this book.

First, the shifting of the characters points of view. There was constant shifting with no clear breaks. It gets very confusing, especially if the shift happens within a single paragraph, which it did!

Second, the repeating of thoughts. Liz would think a thought, and then say the thought out loud to someone else. Then she would repeat it later to another character. I get how perhaps the author is trying to show how the third character found out about what she was thinking, but this isn't the way to do it.

Third, Liz's character herself. She would ramble a lot, and it just wasn't attractive to me. Also, everything was handed to her on a silver platter. Where's the challenge? She wants a house, gets it from her uncle. Wants a job, gets one handed to her right when she moves to town. Wants to decorate her house like the Griswold's, the neighbors pitch right in to help. It was annoying. I feel like she acted very juvenile too. Here's Liz talking to Raylen about what kind of Christmas tree she wants.

"I want a real one but Momma reminded me that I'm allergic to cedar and pine trees. Do you think they'll have one that doesn't look perfect? I want it to look real even if it's not." (p. 181)

I guess I just feel like a grown woman should know what she was allergic to. It wasn't just that though, it was all things like I listed above.

I can't imagine the work it takes a write a book, I really can't. But Darn Good Cowboy Christmas was not worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, October 24, 2011
I realy enjoyed this story. I had read the previous one in the series and wasn't disappointed with this one. The story had another within it that made it different than the usual romance formula. The characters we very likable and down to earth. I can't wait for the others in the series to come out. I even visited her web site to find other books of hers to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT!!!, May 10, 2012
M. Wieas "Buyer" (Detroit Michigan UA) - See all my reviews
I couldn't get enough of it :) I was sad when I finished this book. I think I have read every book by Carolyn Brown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darn Good Cowboy., January 5, 2012
Excellent as usual for Ms. Brown.Interesting characters and a good story line.Love always wins in the end.Each story has a different twist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as always, November 29, 2011
There is one thing I have come to connect with Brown's books, and that is that they always makes me smile. I usually sit there with a grin on my face, because they are sweet and fun.

This book is part of a series, but it can be read as a standalone. You will feel at home at once. The books are inviting and the town is a place I would like to visit, and the people there, I would love to have them as friends.

In this one we have Liz, a former carnie, who wants to settle down and get some roots, and then we have the hot cowboy next door, Rayleen. They met before long ago, and that crush never left either of them. It is just destined. They know it when they meet, and the passion is sizzling. They are just perfect together. She grows roots, and he finds love.

And as always what I like about her books are the sayings, the book is filled with them and they make me smile. I do feel they are one of the best things with this book. Let's see if I can brave one, their love is hotter than a hellcat on a Sunday (ok that makes no sense, but you get the general idea. And I am bad with these.) I love to read them though, and I sure want to talk like that, yes mam.

Conclusion:
Like I said in the beginning, this book is sure to make you smile and crave your own cowboy. I can't wait for the the next one, I wonder who it will be about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, October 8, 2011
This is the first Carolyn Brown book I've ready, and I logged on here to buy the next. I wouldn't change a thing about this book - I read a lot , and a lot of the stories tend to remind of others I've read - this had it's own story and I liked it.
I do wish it were easier to see the order to books were written in. I started the series out of order. It should read - Darn Good Cowboy Christmas (book # of #).

5.0 out of 5 stars Spikes and Spurs series, July 11, 2014
Have enjoyed reading this series and now looking forward to Carolyn Browns "Cowboys and Brides" series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book series, June 26, 2014
Mhenderson7 (Cincinnati, Ohio) - See all my reviews
I love Carolyn Brown books. She is a great writer. At this time in my life I love happy ending love stories and Me. Brown delivers.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Darn Good Cowboy Christmas (Spikes & Spurs)
Darn Good Cowboy Christmas (Spikes & Spurs) by Carolyn Brown (Mass Market Paperback - October 4, 2011)
$7.99 $7.19