Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dash 7 Jar Yogurt Maker
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 18, 2013
I purchased this yogurt maker about a month ago - not from Amazon, sorry! - and have been VERY happy with the results. It's so easy to use, the booklet that comes with it is simple to follow. There are a lot of steps, but if you are patient you will be rewarded with yummy fresh yogurt. I was surprised at how good my first batch tasted, though it wasn't as thick as I wanted. The next batches got better and better as I experimented with getting the right texture. Found a lot of helpful tips on the web!

I am on my third batch, and have found the best result so far with the following combination of ingredients: 5 cups whole milk, half cup Fage 2% plain yogurt as the starter, 4 tablespoons of carnation dry powdered milk for a thicker, creamier texture. I have also made greek yogurt following the directions in the booklet.

I usually mix up a batch in the evening after dinner, and set the timer to 8 hours so the yogurt "cooks" overnight and is ready in the morning. I cover up the glass jars and refrigerate as the instructions state. Then I have my supply for the week, ready to eat with fresh fruits or honey. Yay!
33 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2014
This makes good yogurt in those handy dandy little jars, but I replaced it with a different model after a few uses. It's easy to use and not a bad buy, but it just didn't work the way I needed.

First, to add anything to the yogurt after it's been made (fruit, granola, etc.), you have to pour the yogurt out of the jar. If you fill the jar like they recommend, there's not much room to stir in anything but some sweetener or a little jam. Yes, I could put less in the jar to have more room, but this is my breakfast.. the most important meal of the day. I'm breaking my fast here. I want my full 6 oz of yogurt with fixings so I can start the day right.

I love that it came with glass jars so I didn't have to worry about my yogurt sitting in warm plastic for 12 hours. And it's nice that they came with lids. The problem, though, is that the lids don't screw on very tight so I couldn't put a jar in my lunch bag because it leaked whey (and raspberry jam) all over my cute little bag. Twice.

Lastly, it's not easy to store when not in use. As I ate the yogurt, I washed the jars and lids and put them back in the maker. The problem is that the lid of the maker isn't tall enough to allow you to store the jar with their lids on. You either have to store the lids separately from the jars (more loose crap to keep track of), or you can leave them on and the lid just won't fix securely over the maker. Also, there's nothing to wrap the cord around underneath the maker, so the cord always got trapped under the crockpot or the casserole dishes and it was like an archaeological dig to get the cord loose.

In the end, I gave it away to someone who could live with those inconveniences and I bought the greek yogurt model instead: http://www.amazon.com/Dash-Greek-Yogurt-Maker-Bonus/dp/B00IIUT1AE/ref=sr_1_1. I make the yogurt mixture and put it in a 32 oz. Ball jar (like you use for canning fruits and vegetables) instead of using the container it comes with. Fits perfects. When the yogurt is done, I just put the lid on the large jar and put it in the fridge. I don't have to find space for seven non-stacking jars in the wasteland of my refrigerator and I can scoop it out as I want it. It works the way I need.
on February 7, 2014
I use this machine about once to twice a week to make Greek yogurt. It's the easiest thing ever; if not for this machine, I would have never tried making my own yogurt. This is how easy the steps are:

1. Take starter yogurt out of fridge to warm to room temperature
2. Boil the milk, whisk it a few times during the process so it doesn't burn
3. Preheat yogurt maker (it only takes several minutes for it to heat up)
4. Wait for the milk to cool to between 90-110 degrees F, then whisk in the yogurt until no clumps remain
5. Pour mixture into jars
6. Set timer depending on what kind of milk you're using (8 hours for full fat, 10 for low fat, 12+ for soy milk, etc.) and push "Start"
7. Come back later and yogurt is done

If you want Greek yogurt, it's a couple more steps but that's it. Amazingly delicious yogurt with the perfect texture that you control. I make one jar of organic Greek yogurt for roughly $0.60 each (versus the one I used to buy from Trader Joe's at $1.69 each, plus there's no plastic waste to pollute the Earth afterward).

The machine is lightweight, not sure if it even weighs a pound. There are seven 6 oz. glass jars with plastic lids, then another large lid that covers the machines themselves. It comes with a clear instruction book that teaches you how to make regular yogurt and Greek yogurt as well as some simple recipes in the back for different flavors.

It's so easy to clean. If you're not spilling things, then you pretty much don't have anything to clean. I rinse the big cover out with water (not even soap, not necessary), then air dry it. The machine itself if you spill anything just wipes up simply with a wet cloth and air dries as well. The only real cleaning is the jars.

AWESOME TIP from Amazon reviewer RWP: Use a bowl for big batches of yogurt! I go this route because I always make Greek yogurt, which needs to be strained after it's done cooking. If you are making regular yogurt, then using those little jars are great. But in my case, I need to scrape all the yogurt out of all those little jars (and you know you can't get every bit out, so it gets wasted) into a larger container for straining. Just cook it in a big bowl, then dump that out when it's done. It's always far easier to scrape the yogurt out of one large bowl versus seven little jars. I also only have one thing to wash afterward. Plus I can make a little more with the bowl (5.5 cups of milk versus 5 cups) using a 1.5 quart stainless steel prep bowl. It fits perfectly into the yogurt maker and because it's thin and metallic, the heat transfer well throughout the cooking process.
on August 20, 2013
This makes making great yogurt really, really easy. Came with seven little glass jars, with plastic lids. One lid is cracked, but still can still be used. The main cover is plastic, so I'm hoping that lasts a while. The inside is one level surface -- no grid or anything for the jars, so if you wanted to make a large batch of "yo" in a bowl instead, you could do it, but we use the jars. Super easy -- just the milk of your choice, heated to boiling while the maker is heating up and your starter is coming to room temp (we use a plain greek yogurt we get at the healthfood store), whisk in powdered milk if you want it really thick, whisk in the starter, ladle into the jars, put 'em in the machine, cover, set the timer for how ever many hours -- 8 works just fine... and then be patient. In 8 hours, put it in the refrigerator and... be patient again. In the morning after the "yo" has cooled, mix it with whatever you like (a little cinnamon, pumpkin puree, chopped dates, and raw sugar, anyone?) Or just some fruit, wheatberries, and a little blackberry honey? SOOOOOO much better than what's in the stores. Great on baked potatoes (sweet or otherwise) in place of sour cream. Also great on tacos.... And with it this easy, what's not to love? It has two buttons (basically up/down and hour selection) and a little window that counts down. A little common sense and a quick read of the manual, and you are totally good to go. And yes, made from goats milk -- heavenly. Haven't tried soy yet, 'cuz we're too busy eating the other...
on August 7, 2013
I really love this yogurt maker! The yogurt is delicious and costs a lot less than the yogurt I used to buy at the store.

The instructions include two methods of preparing the yogurt - one in which you boil the milk then cool it to 90-110 degrees (which takes longer than I would like). The alternative method is to add powdered milk to your regular, cold milk. I've created a hybrid recipe that is quick and gives me yogurt very similar to the expensive Greek yogurt I was buying, but for half the price.

I use 5 cups of lowfat (2%) milk, 1/2 cup powdered milk and 1/2 cup plain yogurt (nonfat Fage Greek yogurt). I microwave the milk in an 8-cup Pyrex measuring cup (which I bought on Amazon) for 3-5 minutes, until it's between 90 and 110 degrees (you can also buy a candy therometer on Amazon). Once the milk is heated, I whisk in the dry milk and yogurt then pour it into the glass jars and heat as directed. Lowfat milk takes 10 hours.

Once heated, I stir the yogurt, screw on the lids and put in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours - longer if I want it even thicker. There are several recipes for flavoring, but I stir in a teaspoon of Polaner All Fruit (available in most grocery stores or on Amazon). (I have found that waiting to add the All Fruit until right before I eat tastes better than mixing it in ahead of time.) A teaspoon of All Fruit has about 2 grams of sugar - compared to the 9 grams that are in the yogurt I used to buy.

So all-in-all, I'm very happy with this purchase. I have made several batches and have always had excellent results.
on February 22, 2014
Ihave had this yogurt maker for one month. Each consecutive use the temperature got hotter and hotter. The last time I used it the glass jars were hot to touch. The next day as I was eating the yogurt I got glass in my mouth and noticeda large hole in the bottom of the jar. It must have burst from the hot temperature. Glad I did not swallow any glass!
on November 9, 2013
wow! so easy, and the results are fantastic. seriously, just mix milk, powdered milk and a half cup of yogurt (store bought or from the last batch) pour into jars and set the timer and press start. by adding a little more or less time you can change how strong (tart/tangy) you want it. it can be super mellow almost like sour cream or tart to mix sweet fruit/jam into. outstanding value you can make 21 jars of yogurt for a gallon of milk and the taste and texture is way better.
on January 10, 2014
My wife bought this stainless 7 jar yogurt maker, and she has been wearing it out. It does everything she expected and provides a good end product. Apparently she has been experimenting with different ingredients to get the final product that she wants. While I was skeptical as first, it appears that this will be a cost effective yogurt maker and a permanted fixture in the kitchen.
on January 21, 2015
Love it works great only problem I've had with it is I have to start a new batch every night everyone here loves the way it works and the way the yogurt is smooth the starter yogurt I use is fage works everytime - take a little care with the lid it is thin and may break, jars are small other than that it's a keeper
on September 7, 2014
I want to love it but I cannot seem to get it to produce a smooth product. I have used lowfat milk both times, heated to boiling, then whisked in 7 tbls of dry milk. It turned out SO gritty/grainy that my 10 year old simply will not touch it. Of course the powdered milk was dissolved as it went into boiling milk. The 2nd attempt I even put it through a strainer and although it helped a tad, it wasn't enough that my kiddo would eat more than a single bite. What am I doing wrong? I cook for 10 hrs, is that too long? I want to love it but even I think its pretty disgusting to try to eat grainy yogurt. NOTHING covers up that nasty texture. Help!