Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Dateable: Are You? Are They? Paperback – August 1, 2003
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From the Inside Flap
"Justin Lookadoo understands teens and what's even more amazing they understand him."--Vicki Spriggs, executive director, Texas Juvenile Probation Commission
"Wherever he goes he is like the pied-piper of teens. They follow him around just waiting for him to say something that will change their lives."--Andy Hyde, publisher, The Clever Factory
"Justin Lookadoo communicates to youth, adults and entire families. He has a powerful, unique and highly effective way of reaching kids. Wow...do they ever listen!"--Josh McDowell, Josh McDowell Ministries
"I sincerely believe if our students had heard Justin speak when they were teens many would not be locked up in our prison now."--Bud Gossett, retired principal, Windham School District, Texas Department of Criminal Justice
"After a motorcycle accident put big white scars across my arms and stomach I was sure I would never enter another beauty pageant. Justin (Lookadoo) taught me to stay focused, work hard, use a little black body paint and develop the courage to go on."--Sheena Simmons, Miss East Texas, Miss Texas USA Contestant
"It has been said that procrastination occurs because of lack of enthusiasm. If that is the case then Justin (Lookadoo) should never be troubled with procrastination because he has more enthusiasm than any person I have ever seen."--Michelle Miller, assistant principal, Rice Elementary
From the Back Cover
How Dateable are you? Check out this book and increase your Dateability!
Girls, did you know?
- Guys will lie to you to get what they want
- If he'll do it for you, he'll do it to you
- If he doesn't call it doesn't mean he hates you
- A guy will treat you like you are dressed
- You might be talking too much
- He doesn't want sex with you because he loves you, he wants it 'cuz you're a girl and you're willing
- Guys love a mystery
Guys, did you know?
- If you're too scared to ask her, then you're not man enough to go out with her
- Girls will lie to themselves to get what they want
- Girls love it when you plan things
- You control how far you go
- Girls have their own kind of porn
- You can be a "real man" without becoming a "bad boy"
- Girls don't understand you
Hometown: Tyler, Texas
Favorite Food: Fast
Favorite Color: Eggplant
Favorite Book: The ones he writes
Hobbies: Origami, lawn bowling
Dateability: * * * * ½ (Stars)
Hometown: Nashville, Tennessee
Favorite Food: Yes
Favorite Color: Pink
Favorite Book: Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography
Hobbies: Spear fishing, Ham radio
Dateability: * * * * * (Stars)
Check out more about being Dateable at lookadoo.com
Browse our Teacher Supplies store, with everything teachers need to educate students and expand their learning.
Top Customer Reviews
Horrible and untrue, manipulative, sexphobic, and shaming to both genders. Wish there were a zero-stars rating. This book will not teach your teen anything healthy about relationships in any way at all. It's a manual of false social and sexual education, the opposite of which teenagers need desperately. This is why there is a teen pregnancy problem among more religious communities; lack of any sort of honesty in the subject of healthy relationships and safekeeping of the body. Abstinence-only education is pure indoctrination.
As a teacher, and ***especially*** as a teacher of girls, I find this kind of book shameful and deplorable. It's a disgrace to educators and parents everywhere that this book and others like it exist. There is literally zero reason to teach your child to be ashamed of their sexual urges, their bodies, or their thoughts. Furthermore, there is apparently a STAR RATING AS TO HOW "DATEABLE" SOMEONE IS. So teach your teen they're measurable on a scale, go ahead and shame them if they feel differently, because that's what it's all about: conforming. They teach girls that all men are out for is sex and that they should just say no to the "bait" that gets tossed to them, meaning now they'll assume any kind of nice gesture towards them is a play for sex and never learn the very important skill of differentiating between the two. Tells boys to "be powerful," whatever that means.
The word "dateable" is fake, fake, fake jargon. It is false; this book's standards are complete nonsense (because it really means "how Christian are you?") and furthermore they ABSOLUTELY promote a patriarchal, male-dominated ideal of relationships, which is also utterly utterly false.Read more ›
The reason I decided to spend my time writing this review myself is the metaphor of the dinged-up car at the end of the book. Page 214 tells us this: "Every new sexual experience when you are not married puts another ding, another scratch, another scar on who you are. You keep running your car into other people, and then you wonder why no one treats you special."
My problem with this - what about victims of sexual abuse? Are we not worth as much, then? Do we not deserve commitment?
There's just an awful lot of demeaning and objectifying done in this book, and I would be offended if I believed that I was viewed the way this book says that I should be. I find it ironic that this work tries to convince girls that they are worth more than their body ("be modest"), but then concludes with a "just kidding, you're worth exactly the condition your body is in."
Please understand. I am not the sort of person to hate on things. If this book had any worth whatsoever I would not have bothered giving a review. But everything about this was so wrong I had to write something to prevent some poor soul from reading this and taking it seriously. Please, DO NOT READ THIS BOOK. I'll tell you why:
1) SEXISM. And I don't just mean traditional sexism towards girls. In fact, the majority of the sexism here is directed towards men! This is surprising because it's written by a man. According to this book, men do not have feelings. Men do not care for you at all. All men are out for one thing and one thing only: SEX. That's all they want. That's all they will ever want. Girls, protect your poor, fragile little souls, because these men are eager to eat you up and dump you on the side of the road. He'll get bored of you, especially if you give him sex, because that's all he wants from you to begin with. (That's why you save that for the wedding night!) Okay, let me just ask, if all a man wants from a woman is sex, why on EARTH would she ever want to date him? Are men just mindless sex machines without personalities, dreams, desires? Do they not also have interests and hobbies? Are they not also insecure, lonely, wanting someone to be with and hold? This book perpetuates the stupid idea that men only want one thing and do not have genuine deep feelings. It also likes to pretend that men and women are so different mentally that they cannot possibly understand each other. This is absurd. If two people do not understand each other then they will never generate emotional depth and caring that is essential in any relationship. If you don't understand each other it is not because you are different genders.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I enjoyed it personally. Its broad, sweeping generalizations are comical and applicable, although roughly. Read morePublished 22 days ago by Amazon Customer
All young adults should read this book! It is biblically centered with a touch of humor. It's speaks the truth without making you feel less of yourself. Read morePublished 1 month ago by daniel v.
ithin the content itself, the book is greatly lacking. The intended purpose of the book can be summed up in this piece of writing: “Check yourself… Check your character… Decide who... Read morePublished 2 months ago by Amy Moser
I think everyone - moms, dads, pre-teens, and college kids should read this book. Lots of great information that makes you think!Published 6 months ago by Carol J
great book for your child to read as they get ready for dating.Published 6 months ago by The Book Chamber
“Think about your grandfather, because all of his old friends are looking at you when you wear that stuff. Eww! I know it’s gross, but that’s the truth. Read morePublished 7 months ago by Purge187