1,032
Daughtry
Format: MP3 MusicChange
Price:$9.99

Format: Audio CD
For Chris Daughtry, finishing in fourth place in American Idol 2006 may have been the second biggest break (the first being making it on American Idol) of the young rocker's career. Had he gone on to win Idol (as he rightfully should have in my opinion), I believe we all would have been cheated in a way, and received a watered-down, corporate-friendly debut album.

When given the opportunity to join an already well-established band in Fuel upon his exit from the American Idol stage, Chris turned down the offer to the surprise of many. He instead wanted to return home to think about his career, and which of the many available paths he wanted to choose. He gathered up members of his previous band, labeled the group with the Bon Jovi like name of "Daughtry" and went into the studio to record what would be his major label debut.

With extremely high expectations set forth before him, Chris Daughtry delivered on just about every level possible. With his debut CD, the appropriately self-titled "Daughtry," Chris is able to captivate audiences of all types, ranging from the American Idol fans who supported him throughout his run on the show, to alternative rock crowds looking for a new artist to bring rock back to the forefront of the music industry.

Daughtry's first single "It's Not Over," went on to score number one's in multiple formats, and the second single "Home" is following sharply in its footsteps. From power rock songs like "What I Want" and "There and Back Again," to emotional ballads like "Home" and "What About Now," this CD truly has it all for just about anyone who is a fan of rock/pop music. Other standouts include the Mitch Allan (SR-71)penned song "All These Lives" (an emotional song about growing up in a broken home) and the power pop/rock song "Over You" (a song about finally coming to terms with the end of a relationship and realizing you are better off without that person).

Chris Daughtry is ready to pave his way to rock and roll stardom, and this debut is a must have for anyone who still believes that the sound of rock will never die, even when it has been pushed into a corner by just about every other musical genre out there. Here's to you Chris Daughtry, and in regards to your career, "It's Not Over" my friend, it has only just begun.
on December 14, 2006
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
Heads up everyone - I'm a Taylor fan. With over 200 reviews on Amazon, I wasn't going to add my own, but so many "fans" from Chris, Kat, and Taylors boards are on the other boards bashing their releases, that I wanted to give a representation of a true music lover and show you all that we're out there.

My wife liked Chris during AI but, with the exception of "Hemorrhage" I heard the same bland nu-metal from him every week. And I hate nu-metal. Then he sang one of my favorite songs of all time - "What A Wonderful World" by the incredible Louis Armstrong. How in the world could a one-dimensional metal singer pull off a signature song by one of the greatest jazz artists of all time? Amazingly well, as it turned out, because Chris Daughtry is anything but one dimensional. In short, while I still supported Taylor each week, Daughtry made me sit up and listen, wondering what he would do next. And they just kept getting better - his version of Queen's "Innuendo" will stand tall as one of Idol's greatest performances, in my opinion.

And then, thankfully, he lost. I say thankfully, because I knew if there was anyone who would benefit the least from being sterilized by the Pop Juggernaut that is American Idol, it was Chris Daughtry.

When the album was announced, I pre-ordered it (along with Hicks'), even though I knew it would be similar to Nickleback. I can't stand Nickleback, but I wanted to support him; Idol "losers" typically don't fare well in the US. I never expected to like it.

Now I've listened to it a few times and - surprise - it's damned good, and will probably become one of the strongest debuts in Idol history.

"Daughtry" is based in nu-metal, make no mistake about it, but it's so much more. Chris has written or co-written an astounding 9 out of 11 tracks (an unprecedented undertaking for an Idol debut) and he turns out to be a savvy writer. This is *melodic* music, with depth, passion, and creative melodies that are anything but the generic garbage we've grown accustomed to on the the radio the last few years. In fact, "Daughtry" may just bridge the gap between the music we're listening to currently and the next big thing to come. If anything, the catchy hooks and strong vocal lines (along with -OMG- actual *harmonies*) will inspire current and future artists to raise their game.

He also pays as much attention to the lyrics as he does the music, and this raises "Daughtry" even higher above the masses. In "Home" he sorrowfully states:

"No, I think you got me all wrong.

I don't regret this life I chose for me.

But these places and these faces are getting old,

So I'm going home"

while in "Breakdown" he brilliantly juxtaposes the figurative with the literal:

"Well, I'm sitting alone thinking about it all over coffee,

And still crowding my space are the things you still hold against me." This is a lyric from someone who has been writing a long time, and who takes his craft seriously.

Is it perfect? Of course not. The album as a whole tends to gel a bit too well. Too much of it features the same three chords played mid-tempo and, because of this, some songs tend to run into the next. Thankfully, there are some real gems here. "Home" shows how mature a songwriter he is, and "What I Want," featuring guitarist Slash, proves that he can hold his own as a rocker.

Holding the whole thing together are Chris' vocals: confident and gritty, yet crystal clear. And, of course, he has a wider range than almost any other rock vocalist out there today. Check out his background vocals on "There and Back Again;" when he screams out "Here's your moment to shine," he *means* it.

There is no stereotypical posing here, folks; Chris Daughtry is the real deal. As a Taylor fan - hell, as a *music* fan - I'm looking forward to his next release.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 16, 2007
Format: Audio CD
I wasn't aware that there were 2 different albums out there. I never saw the one with just 12 tracks. I snagged the one at walmart and thought it was both refreshing and also rather odd (considering today's music business mentality) to include 2 bonus tracks of songs that the full band does earlier on the album.

Anyways, these two bonus tracks really bring out a new dimension in Chris. It really showcases just how phenomenal a singer the guy is. The acoustic version of Crash is amazing. I think it would have been really awesome if the band had originally recorded crashed with Chris and the acoustic starting the song and then busting in after the first chorus with the full band for the remainder of the song. but yeah the two bonus tracks really bring out an extra side of chris that only a duet with an acoustic can do.

And as far as the nickleback comparisons, I can see some similarities but they're far from clones. Nickleback has become a cliche'd modern rock sound and unfortunately everyone new in the industry that wants to be a modern rock band is forced into the comparison with them. Nickelback continues to release the same record over and over with different lyrics. Hopefully Chris's band can separate themselves from Nickleback by avoiding this mistake.
on November 22, 2006
Format: Audio CD
Chris Daughty's much anticipated debut album is a amazing accomplishment. I normally don't give out five stars for debut albums, but this one has certainly earned it. It's a compilation of sheer brilliance with songs rich with emotion, drawing you in, traveling to your soul and wrapping you up in a cocoon that is nothing but raw, pure, unadulterated passion. Chris infuses so much of himself in each song that it's hard to pick a favorite track. There is no doubt that he is going to be around for a long time.

A few of my favorites:

It's not Over: Haunting, full of emotion, easily pulls you in and you forget yourself

Home: Heart-wrenching

Over You: Speaks of putting your heart back together after it's been broken. It's raw, angry, determined.

What About Now: This song rips into me everytime I hear it. It's about estrangement and what if.

By the way, If you like Nickelback, you'll like Chris Daughtry.
2626 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 17, 2006
Format: Audio CD
Personally, I've been a fan of Chris since he did his first audition on American Idol. His distinct voice that is rough, yet at the same time smooth, captivated me the moment he opened his mouth.

I really wanted Chris to win American Idol and was really hurt when he got voted off. But, I think it's really great that he still has an album out and he did it without a record deal with Americal Idol, showing that he can hold his own. And, if you look at it, most of the AI winners lost popularity after their first album (excluding Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood). So, by doing his very OWN album, it insures that he won't go out of business with fans for a long while now. Sorry Taylor fans, that's just the way life is.

Now, as for the CD, this truly represents Chris in every way. He wanted to do a rock CD, and he got it. So, from the lists of songs, here they are and my rating:

1. "It's Not Over" - His first track on the album and it starts off with a blast. As soon as I listened to this, I knew this would be one of my all-time favorite CDs. Definitely for rock fans! 5/5

2. "Used To" - Though the subject is a bit sad, the song definitely isn't! It's got that rock tune to it that makes you want to move after the first :30 sec. Another good rock song. 4/5

3. "Home" - A little bit of a softer song that shows Chris's more gentle side. It's a really warming song, though! I, though, am a big rock fan so this doesn't get me as much, but I still love it. 3/5

4. "Over You" - This song really motivates you to try hard after your heart has been broken. Makes you feel like you've got something important to say to those who don't understand you after you've been hurt. Another rock song! 5/5

5. "Crashed" - I REALLY like this song. The point of the song makes me feel great knowing that there's someone out there that won't let me down. Not to many parts I don't love. Enough said!!! 5/5

6. "Feels Like Tonight" - This song is about how he's been making many mistakes in his life, but now decides to make it up to the person he loves, realizing that he really does love her. Well, that's what I think when I listen to this song. It's really great. 4/5

7. "What I Want" (ft. Slash) - THE BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM!!!! For all of those rock fans out there, this is the song for you!!! I can't say it enough. And, though this is a heavy rock song, it has a great subject about it and not one of those "gonna-kill-you-for-what-you-did-to-me!!" songs. One of my most favorite songs of all time! 1000/5

8. "Breakdown" - Another great song (are there any that aren't? Nope!). It's a bit soft at first, but gets really good during the second chorus and on. 5/5

9. "Gone" - In my opinion, sounds like a western song at the beginning, but that's OK. I like this song as much as the others. 4/5

10. "There And Back Again" - THE SECOND BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM!! Another song that's hard-core rock. Almost reaches the principles of "What I Want", but not completely. Great song! 100/5

11. "All These Lives" - I didn't like this song that much at first, but now it's really grown on me . . . that took about 2 days for that to happen, so you'll probably like it, too, if you like rock (there are no songs that don't have a rock piece to them). A sad song in ways, but really good. 4/5

12. "What About Now" - *Sniff* The last song on the album! And a great song that is heartwarming down to the core. It always leaves me on a happy note for the end of the CD. 4/5

Well, that's it! Hope you enjoy this as much as I have and still do! You definitely won't regret it.
on September 19, 2008
Format: Audio CD
OMG! I am soooo happy that Daughtry decided to release the deluxe album with all the extras!!! The four additional tracks on the CD are worth it alone! OMG! Their cover of Feels Like the First Time is incredible! I can't help but crank it several times a day. It is so uplifing and happy it makes me smile from ear to ear. The acoustic songs really showcase Chris' amazing voice! And the DVD is awesome!!! I don't spend much time watching t.v. much less Music Video channels so to have all of their videos on one DVD is awesome! And the two live versions from Red Rock are amazing! But the best part for me is the interview where you can see these incredibly talented 5 guys being themselves and see how down to earth they really are, and how much they appreciate their fans! Rock on Daughtry!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 20, 2007
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
OK I admit it... I originally bought this CD because I was addicted to the tune "Home" from, yes, watching American Idol. Then I really listened to "Home" and other tracks and heard the musical talent of not just Daughtry, but the musicians who play with him. So many "Solo Aritists" sacrifice quality instrumental talent to showcase their voices as the only important thing. The crisp drums with nice variations of "fills" between vocal lines on "Home" and other tunes is a fine example of how the instrumental musicians "complete" Daughtry's talent and make for a holistic -- really full -- musical experience.
on September 17, 2008
Format: Audio CD
I've been to hundreds of concerts, purchased thousands of CDs and watched countless hours of music videos. I've been a music fan my whole life...and of all of the CDs I own, of all of the concerts I've been to, I can't get enough of DAUGHTRY. I never tire of hearing their music, live, CD, acoustic or otherwise. I work out to it, clean my house to it, drive to it...it's addictive! This band by far has been my favorite in over a decade...I can't wait for the new album to come out! As a true fan, of course I would purchase a deluxe edition. I'm a DAUGHTRY junkie!
on November 24, 2006
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
I like Chris D's voice and his style but was hoping more of the track's on this CD would have had a real edge to them. After a few plays, this disc will probably end up mostly forgotten in my collection. (Still, this rocker-style Idol freshman effort is way better than Bo Bice's was.)
Format: Audio CD
A good combination of rock and ballads. A really great first effort for a guy who should have won the Idol show. Hope he's around for a long time.