5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Book of Tales
I first read this book when I was twelve years old and it affected me so much that ten years later I still have a deep and abiding love of Greek mythology. A ratty, paperback copy I found at Salvation Army still holds *the* place of honor in my Greco-Roman collection, usurping The Odyssey, The Iliad, Edith Hamilton, and Robert Graves.
What originally struck me as so...
Published on March 10, 2003 by Kristin Munson

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths (Audiobook)
From what I gather, this is a classic. I can see that as a presentation of the Greek myths, it's historically on-the-ball without being too dreadfully boring. That said, Greek mythology if a very rich treasury of names and stories in congress. There are a variety of repeat characters and interwoven timelines. For this reason, I don't recommend the audiobook, though I do...
Published 6 months ago by Ryan Mease

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Book of Tales, March 10, 2003
What originally struck me as so fantastic (and still does) is that the D'aulaires don't write down to their audience or edit out details important to the original myth that some parents might not approve of. The end result? An all ages storybook and mythological primer that no one should be ashamed to own.
The drawings are an acquired taste, falling somewhere between Classical pottery paintings and Art Deco, but they do grow on you. My only quibble is that there's no pronunciation guide, which can really hamper you if this is your first exposure to these stories.
Buy this for for your children or even for yourself, you will never regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure from my childhood., May 12, 2002
This book has been in print for at least 40 years. It was my introduction to Greek mythology when I was in elementary school in the early 60s. Now, a very educated middle aged man who has read Homer, Hesiod, Ovid, the Athenian playwrights, and all the great literature based on the mythology, I can tell you that 75% of my basic knowledge of these myths still comes from my devouring, re-reading, absorbing D'Aulaire in what can only be called a child's fantasy paradise. I have no children, but if I did and could gift them as I was gifted, I would count myself a successful parent if I did nothing more than introduce them to this book. The gorgeous illustrations are still burned in my memory. How any team of writers could depict Kronos devouring his children, Arachne being transformed into a spider, and so forth, and not make it frightening to a small child--well, this book is a miracle. Check it out and may your family cherish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a child�s understanding of the world., November 10, 2000
I think this book introduced me to the idea of studying. When I was young, I devoured this. I knew every story, every character, and every adventure. This was the foundation for more book reports and special projects than I could list. The myths are presented in an easily understandable format that does not talk down to children. The illustrations, while simple, are full of life and charm. This is a perfect children's book.
"D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths" also gave me a great insight into a more adult world, and a curiosity, which I still carry to this day. Astronomy was no problem, as I already knew the names of things. Science also held fewer mysteries than it might have. (Hippocratic oath anyone?) My interest in Greek Myths lead to interest in Rome, which was followed by Shakespeare's Roman plays. Greek statuary lead to an interest in art, and a trip to the British Museum. Someday I hope to travel to Greece itself, and view the stomping grounds of Heracles and Belpheron.
All starting from this book. I think that is a pretty good recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Children's favorite (and also this adult's!), June 29, 2000
C. S. Bloedorn "aurenta" (Catonsville, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D'aulaire's Book of Greek Myths (Hardcover)
My mom got a copy of this book for the family when I was 6 or 7 and I read it so much that the pages fell out. I memorized the myths and told them to my friends. This books started a life-long love of mythology--okay, so I'm only 23--still, I adore the human foibles of the gods, and I LOVE the illutstrations. They have ingrained in me the way I see the Greek Gods and inspired me to take a trip to Athens and the rest of Greece. As I stood at Leto's rock in Delfi, tears came to my eyes. I realized that I was where she had given baby Apollo the mission to take it as his own temple, and the majesty and history of the place nearly overcame me. My mom got me a copy of this for my 21st birthday, and it was the best present I had gotten (and have gotten) in a long time.
If you like Greek myths, you will love this book. If you just like stories, you will love this book.
The only inaccuracy is that to make the stories age-appropriate, many of Zeus' "adventures" are somewhat censored, but not in a major way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life-Altering Book, September 27, 2000
This review is from: D'aulaire's Book of Greek Myths (Hardcover)
The first time I read this book was in my elementary school library when I was nine. I checked out the book again and again until my mother took notice of my monopolization and bought me a copy of my own. It was an eye-opening experience for me as a young girl, being aware that there were other religions besides Christianity, and those that had existed long before. This book became a particular bonding instrument for my mother and I. My obsession with this book sparked her interest and now she has my old copy that is scribbled full of her notes. It is a great, simplistic introduction to Greek mythology and something that I still refer to when I need a quick refresher about a certain god, hero or myth. I attribute this book for instilling in me the love of reading, history and world religions and for narrowing my focus on what I wanted to study once I went to college. It also gave me a much more humanistic perspective in viewing religion, a concept that had only been really an abastraction for me up to that point. I encourage anyone to give this gift to any young person who loves to read. The illustrations are charming and aid the entertaining narrative so as a whole it is very easy for a child to absorb and comprehend. This book should not be overlooked. It could change your life too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the younger reader, January 7, 2004
Liz (Missouri, USA) - See all my reviews
I still have my copy of this book from my early childhood. It's a wonderful introduction to Greek mythology for the younger age groups. It doesn't go into tedious detail that most children would find boring, but it covers important highlights of major myths. It is a very whitewashed version of the mythos -- especially the story of Hera and Zeus, but since it's geared towards younger reader, that's only appropriate.
This book is a great way to get children interested in the classics, in mythology itself. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be required reading!, June 29, 2001
This review is from: D'aulaire's Book of Greek Myths (Hardcover)
I checked this book out of the library dozens of times as a child. The stories and intrigue of the Greek pantheon, combined with the outstanding illustrations, make this book a must-read for any child (or adult) with more than a passing interest in history, or religion or mythology. To this day, not having seen the book in nearly 20 years, I can recall vividly the illustration of Argus with his hundred eyes, standing in Hera's chamber. Or Athena, springing fully formed from Zeus' head. Another thing I like is that the authors didn't sugarcoat any of the Greek myths, which were as red in tooth and claw as Nature herself. To me, that would have destroyed the impact and power of these stories. This book is truly a classic of kids' literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally I know who is who, January 22, 2001
Through my whole life I was hearing bits and pieces from the Greek mythology - the stories of Prometheus, Hades, the Argonauts. I liked those stories, but altogether the whole Greek mythology was a mess to me. And now finally, when I read this book, everything connected and a clear picture was formed.
The book covers in (what looks like) a chronological sequence events from the birth of Titans and Zeus, through strories on the "major Gods" like Hera, Poseidon or Hades, then "minor Gods" like Prometheus, Dionysus, Pandora to The Golden Fleece story and finishes with the "end of Gods".
The book is amusing and also very educative. We come across referrals to the Greek mythology almost every day. And this book helps us understand the relations. Read about Apollo, Orion, Echo, The Nine Muses, Orpheus, Sisyphus, Heracles and others. It is a good fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational and Entertaining; the Perfect Book!!, July 26, 1997
By A Customer
I don't know about all of you, but Greek Mythology is something I just can't live without! I pondered long and hard over many other volumes that were of the same material, but VERY longwinded. I don't have a lot of time on my hands, but I was just dying to learn of the famous Zues, Hera, Aphrodite, Ares, Athena, and all of the other gods and goddesses who governed the world high atop Mount Olympus. Also of Cronus, Rhea, Gaea, Uranus, and other gods and goddesses I never knew about. Then I found this book, this treasure amongst literature. The artwork alone is enthralling and the detail in which the stories are told is absolutly mesmerizing. The book is one of the best and one would certainly advise a friend to read it if one is streched for time yet has an incredible lust for Greek Mythology. The stories are easy to understand and yet so graphical that even the simplest child could lose themselves in the stories of Eos, Hercules, or Heracles as he is called in the book, Persephone, Demeter, and Phaethon. If you love Greek Myths, this book is an absolute must

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite book as a kid, October 5, 2005
K. Huebler (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This book is soooo good. I think when I was a kid I read it 20 million times (around age 6) and then again recently just browsing through it I realize it is still amazing. The pictures are great, and I really really don't think there is a better greek mythology book, as this has stories from minor gods as well, plus the first page has a chart showing how the gods are related. Greek mythology popped up again and again in school, and I was really then to have read it to. Every parent should give their child this book.

D'aulaire's Book of Greek Myths
D'aulaire's Book of Greek Myths by Edgar D'Aulaire (Hardcover - October 19, 1962)
$29.95 $22.64