Customer Discussions > Endgame forum

Has Dave Mustaine become a right winger?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 80 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 11, 2009 1:37:22 AM PDT
Mr. X says:
I read some of the lyrics about waking up in a "fema box" which is what right wing radio is talking about these days. I don't want to get into whether this is good or bad just want information about his current political views.

Posted on Sep 11, 2009 6:00:51 AM PDT
Elvis Zombie says:
If you go to Megadeth's official website Dave has Glenn Beck and O'Reily listed as two of his favorite shows. I don't think he is a right wing fanatic, but he seems to be leaning more right than left these days. I suspect this is because he became a Christian a few years back. Songs on the System has Failed like Psalm 23 "The Vally of The Shadow of Deth" were taken right out of the Bible. That trend continued on United Abominations. Dave had tons of references to both the books of Revelation and Daniel about the Christian view on the end of the world in his lyrics. There was also a whole lot of U.N. bashing going on in that album. He took swings at the media, political correctness, and the current political mess in Afghanistan and Iraq.

In recent interviews he called Obama "just another politician", but he also stated that Bush is the worst President of his lifetime. Therefore, I don't believe he swears allegiance to any political party; I think if he had to choose he would go Libertarian. The guy appeared on Alex Jones radio show for crying out loud. If he had a hard on for the Republican party I don't think he would have been there.

Posted on Sep 11, 2009 11:41:10 AM PDT
Nicole Wayne says:
He's definetly more conservative as well as being religious.... however I don't think he likes any political party for the same reason I do... which is they are all idiots.

Posted on Sep 12, 2009 8:59:54 AM PDT
Mr. X says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 12, 2009 9:14:50 AM PDT
Metalhammer says:
Just because he may be a christian doesn't mean he's automatically going to make bad music. It's not like he's singing praise and worship or I love god/jesus. He's still doing metal, moreso than he did in the late 90's. Of course you're free to like or dislike whatever you want, but it seems odd to just decide not to give an album a chance just because the main member happens to have a particular religious belief, whatever that may be. Of course it's your call, but I'd recomend at least giving the album a chance. He's been a christian for a while, and put out at least two or three albums since becoming one. I'm not really sure when he did.

Posted on Sep 12, 2009 2:18:42 PM PDT
Kevin says:
Why do you care if he became a Christian or not? Just enjoy the music.

Posted on Sep 12, 2009 3:19:26 PM PDT
MARCOLO says:
A least he's not stupid enough to think obama is the savior of the world!!
His next album will be called "TO HELL WITH LEFT WINGERS"!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2009 1:59:09 AM PDT
Ryan Thomas says:
Wow, the stupidity of that statement is as staggering as that shown by idiots that do think Obama is the savior of the world. The problem isn't left wingers (health care should be a right, not a means for profit), nor is it right wingers (spending money you don't have is ridiculous). The problem is that career politicians can't maintain their jobs solely based on campaign contributions from John Q public, which leaves them to troll for cash from the only place they can get it, and that money comes w/ strings attached (which in turn dictates how they will vote, after all both dems and republicans are in the health insurance industry). Where we do ourselves a disservice is that we spend way too much time listening to lying d-bags like Beck and Limbaugh (and Rachel Maddow, and Ed Shultz) instead of holding our elected officials accountable.

As for whether or not Mustaine has gone completely right wing, I'd suggest you'll find the answer to that in the lyrics to "Amerikhastan" (something about "Lady Liberty" and "Product of Halliburton").

As for his religious leanings, they are a by product of his soberiety (he's a 12 stepper), which certainly won't stop me from listening to his music, it does cause me to shake my head in disbelief (how can someone who has the discipline and self control to be one of the best guitarists out there can't simply apply those attributes to his social activities instead of turning his life over to God, or as the 3-years sober Ace Frehley so eloquintly stated "people who are allergic to shelfish just go on w/ their lives w/o shelfish", same thing applies to drugs/alcohol).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2009 1:59:27 AM PDT
Ryan Thomas says:
Wow, the stupidity of that statement is as staggering as that shown by idiots that do think Obama is the savior of the world. The problem isn't left wingers (health care should be a right, not a means for profit), nor is it right wingers (spending money you don't have is ridiculous). The problem is that career politicians can't maintain their jobs solely based on campaign contributions from John Q public, which leaves them to troll for cash from the only place they can get it, and that money comes w/ strings attached (which in turn dictates how they will vote, after all both dems and republicans are in the health insurance industry). Where we do ourselves a disservice is that we spend way too much time listening to lying d-bags like Beck and Limbaugh (and Rachel Maddow, and Ed Shultz) instead of holding our elected officials accountable.

As for whether or not Mustaine has gone completely right wing, I'd suggest you'll find the answer to that in the lyrics to "Amerikhastan" (something about "Lady Liberty" and "Product of Halliburton").

As for his religious leanings, they are a by product of his soberiety (he's a 12 stepper), which certainly won't stop me from listening to his music, it does cause me to shake my head in disbelief (how can someone who has the discipline and self control to be one of the best guitarists out there can't simply apply those attributes to his social activities instead of turning his life over to God, or as the 3-years sober Ace Frehley so eloquintly stated "people who are allergic to shelfish just go on w/ their lives w/o shelfish", same thing applies to drugs/alcohol).

Posted on Sep 13, 2009 11:04:26 PM PDT
Mr. X says:
I just can't enjoy music when I disagree with the content of the lyrics. It's really a shame since this one has some of his best guitar work.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2009 2:34:52 AM PDT
Demonizer says:
Hey Mr.X, I hope you don't like Slayer or you'd really go nuts knowing Tom Araya's true "Belief"!! Grow Up Pal, people don't think and act like they did in Highschool, it's called growing up and maturing!!

Just because Dave, and others, decide to put their views in their music does not make them any less a band IMHO!!

Posted on Sep 14, 2009 3:22:51 AM PDT
M. Solis says:
Just to clear all this up...Dave didn't just become a christian. He's always been one.
Seriously people, "What do you mean I don't believe in God? I talk to him everyday."
Ring a bell anyone?

Posted on Sep 14, 2009 3:26:18 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 14, 2009 3:30:38 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 14, 2009 3:26:35 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 14, 2009 3:30:21 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 14, 2009 4:31:02 PM PDT
M. Gibb says:
No right wingers doubt the official story of 911, and he does on this new record

Posted on Sep 14, 2009 9:39:19 PM PDT
FWR says:
who cares whether or not he's right wing; are you gonna like the music more or less because of it? As we all know Dave definitely used to be a pretty staunch democrat, but it does seem like he may be more toward the right these days. However; one thing to remember is that Dave has always and still is pretty anti government - always questioning the functionality and validity of our system - mainly harping on injustices occurring in our own political system in the USA as well as others around the world. In conclusion, I don't think he is a republican or a democrat - I think he's in the middle. Does it matter to me - no! and it shouldn't matter to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2009 10:02:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2009 10:07:26 AM PDT
Mr. X,
Your loss. I still enjoy Neil Young, Bob Dylan and other left-wingers' music. As long as they keep it in the songs and don't stop the show to preach onstage, I'm fine. Why do we care what Dave Mustaine's political views are? I hear he is a registered Republican, and I may be wrong about that, but who cares? As long as the music is solid, why do we worry about it? Most of the musicians out today are left-wingers, and if I let that bother me, I wouldn't be able to enjoy a great variety of music.

Posted on Sep 15, 2009 3:32:54 PM PDT
Gary says:
LOL, what will really cook your noodle is if you knew what Dave's IQ is. Ever happen to see him on Jeopardy? He won every game and answerd every question before anyone else could. the other two contestants were in the negative at the end and he had Megabucks.
The point is, someone that smart leans twords the right and even Christianity, might know something you do not.
The extreme left embodies much of what Dave has sung about for years.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2009 3:44:13 PM PDT
Ryan Thomas says:
(Doing my best Richard Dawson impersonation) "Survey Says.....EEEEEEEEE". Believing in an invisible man who lives in the sky, has a list of ten things he doesn't want you to do, and will send you to a place of eternal torment if you do any of them, but loves you and needs your money (i miss you, George) is not a statement of intelligence, more a statement of gullability. As Barnum so eloquently put it, "there's a sucker born every minute".

Posted on Sep 15, 2009 9:36:19 PM PDT
pattic says:
I certainly hope so. Hippies have no place in metal.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2009 5:45:59 PM PDT
Elvis Zombie says:
"Believing in an invisible man who lives in the sky....blah blah blah."

Hey if you want to believe in some big bang that came from nowhere, then believe a bolt of lightning struck a puddle of goo forming amino acids that somehow formed complex protein chains then single celled organisms, which turned into fish which crawled out of the ocean, grew lungs, turned into bugs, birds, felines, apes and everthing else then go for it. As Barnum so eloquently put it, "there's a sucker born every minute".

Let's just suppose however that you are right...there is no God. If I'm wrong then I simply live my life in false belief, die and turn into worm food. Not a big deal. However, if you're wrong....

Posted on Sep 16, 2009 6:53:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2009 1:42:25 PM PDT
Ryan Thomas says:
You missed the point entirely. I was responding to the notion that an intelligent (book smart, street smart or otherwise) person who is christian and conservative may know something I don't, which is laughable on its face. The fact is anyone who says definitively that they know why we're here, where we go when we die, etc. is either stupid, ignorrent, or (which is typically the case) selling something. The fact is I don't know any more (or better) than you, but I also don't care. If you need to believe in some other-worldly being who's watching over you, loves you, and has a wonderful place for you when you die to help you get through your day, than God bless, but not all of us need that security blanket.

Oh and believing in something for fear that if I'm wrong, I might go to Hell, isn't faith, its cowardice.

Posted on Sep 16, 2009 7:19:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2009 7:21:54 PM PDT
Metalhammer says:
I'm a christian and it pisses me off when people try to use fear to get people to believe in something. I love discussing different views with people, and hearing what others believe in. How else can you understand people? Talking and listening to them, that is. I listen to music from artists who have various different belief systems, but if the music is good, and the songs are good, then I'll give most anything a shot, unless the lyrics are so unbelievably bad, and I've heard some songs like that oo.

Posted on Sep 17, 2009 6:25:47 AM PDT
<<Has Dave Mustaine become a right winger?>>

God, I hope so!

Posted on Sep 19, 2009 10:43:16 AM PDT
Not surprising that a thread that focuses on politics has led to some mudslinging! I'm going to go with the already suggested Libertarian. Dave came out pretty strongly for Clinton in the "Countdown to Extinction" days (his disgust with both GW senior and junior is well-documented in song and interview), so even if some of his views lean right, I don't think that is because he is a devout member of the conservative flock (though I must say I cannot condone the viewing of any hypeutainment pundit on CNN, MSNBC, FOX News...whatever. Every one of them is a clown).

I also don't believe his political views are new. He may have written about them more viscerally, and with a drug-addled immaturity, as far back as Peace Sells, but I think Mustaine has always embodied bipartisan at the least, and probably more accurately, no-affiliation politics. I detest both Repulicans and Democrats, and find myself aligning with Dave's beliefs more often than not (aside from his more pretentious attitude about things).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Endgame forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Sep 11, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Endgame
Endgame by Megadeth (Audio CD - 2009)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (246)