Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

53%
47%

on February 18, 2013
This is a nice little Bible story book that gives a good accounting of the story of David from his anointing by Samuel to his becoming King of Israel. The text is comprised of short sentences that would be easily understood by the age child to which the book is directed.

The stickers (4 pages!) enhance the child's experience in learning and enjoying this Bible story. I recommend the book and know that children will enjoy putting all the stickers in place from the tiny ladybug sticker to big bad Goliath or the crown for David. At $5.99 parents and other adults will find this a good investment in a child.

Disclosure: I was provided a complimentary copy in exchange for my honest review from Kregel Publications.
on February 22, 2013
"The story of David complete with four pages of stickers to help illustrate each page"

About the Author: Karen Williamson worked as a London primary school teacher and publisher's editor before launching a successful career as full-time writer. With three children of her own, she specializes in Bible stories for young readers.

About the Illustrator: Amanda Enright lives with her family near Brighton, on England's South Coast. She has always enjoyed drawing and loved the illustrations in her childhood books by artists such as Richard Scarry. Enright trained in London at Camberwell College of Art, the Royal College of Art and St Martin's College of Art, winning a prize for drawing and a Special Student Award at Annecy film festival. Amanda is inspired by Matisse and Picasso, and by beautiful old and new children's books, vintage fabrics and toys. She has a young daughter and a very large dog called Harvey - a black Russian Terrier that looks like a bear.

My thoughts about the book: Okay so I admit it, I am still a great big child at heart. When I was provided an opportunity to review the David Sticker Book for Kregel Publications I thought to myself, "WOW that sounds pretty awesome to me," so I accepted the challenge and read the book and loved it.

The story is Biblically sound and the illustrations are definitely adorable and well done. Hey, if a 57 year old man can enjoy the book, imagine how much fun a child 3 and older can have with the book. They will enjoy both the story as well as the fun they have placing the stickers where they belong in the book. That interactive part of the book, a great tool to get your child more actively involved in the story, makes it all the more memorable to them I think. And that is something we all desire for our children as Christian parents...that they learn and remember Biblical accounts as recorded in the Scriptures.

The easy to read sixteen page book, including the sticker pages, is sure to delight the heart of any child and please the Christian parent reading the book with them as they both will learn and be reminded of the story of how God chose David to be His King, used him mightily in His service and was ultimately glorified through David because of how he loved and served his God. The story is a good example for us to know from the Word of God and also to follow...that just as David feared and obeyed God, so should we. I give the David Sticker Book *****!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Kregel Publications for the purpose of reviewing it. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
on February 20, 2013
Sticker books have been a perennial favorite in our home. All six of my children have enjoyed putting sticker to paper but not every book has lasted the test of time. Having purchased a variety of sticker books over my almost 18 years of parenting, I can say with confidence that all sticker books are not created equal. Some stickers are so difficult to get off the sticker sheet that the child has very little to do with actually using them. Other sticker books claim to be "repositionable" which translates into: "BEWARE--these stickers will stay on the right page for maybe 5 minutes and you will then find them all over the house filled with so much lint that they will never stick to anything again!" I much prefer a sticker book in which stickers stay where you put them--just the kind used in the David Sticker Book.

The David Sticker Book has stickers that were easy to peel off and the lines were all thoroughly cut so that there were no ripping of images (an event sure to produce tears). The stickers had good stick so they will stay put! A must for any book that is going to be read more than once. One thing I particularly liked about the David Sticker book was that the stickers not the entire point of the book. Rather the stickers complemented the story. The reader has the thrill of contributing to the illustrations by filling in the stickers in the correct places. I love how this fosters cognitive reasoning--matching the correct outline of the shape on the page with the correct sticker. And although the stickers are a one time activity, the book itself is so beautifully illustrated and simply told, that kids will enjoy looking at it over and over and either read or ask to have it read to them repeatedly. The stickers add an almost three-dimensional aspect to future readings.

There are four pages of stickers to apply. A very nice quantity especially in our household with multiple children. My youngest three kids aged 5, 7 and 9 were all thrilled to help put in the stickers. With so many to use, they each had plenty to apply. I liked that the stickers were in the middle of the book allowing for easy removal of those pages once the stickers were completed--leaving just a beautiful story book without empty sticker pages. Each page had several images to apply--both large and small. The image on the book page is faintly present giving some help to the child applying (sort of a white shadow of the sticker image). The sticker has the main image as well as part of the background of the page. This really helps the sticker fit right into the illustration. A few stickers did have some more complicated backgrounds so if you have a perfectionist child, you may want to help guide them in getting the sticker situated just so. Because the stickers are sticky, you'll want to make sure of its placement before patting it all down.

I liked that the reference in the Bible was given at the end of the book so that parents and children can look up the origin of the content directly from the Bible. This also helps provide additional information and details for older readers. This book would be a great complement to family devotions or a family night as the Bible version is read and the David Sticker Book helps to bring Scripture alive.
Disclaimer: I received this book free for the purpose of review from Kregel Publications.
VINE VOICEon February 19, 2013
The David Sticker Book is a short 12 page book about David's life contained in I Samuel 16-19. There's also 4 pages of stickers, for a total of 16 pages. On each page there are places for some of the stickers. Those places are almost whited out, but with a very faint glimpse of details. (You can see those whited out spots on the cover). There are also extra stickers to place wherever your little one wants.

We really enjoyed playing with this sticker book. It was mostly used with Grasshopper(4). Even though there's a warning not for children under 3 on the book, Firefly(1...almost 2) still enjoyed it, too. Many of the stickers ended up going in places they weren't meant to go, but that's okay! :) This is a great book for both playing and learning about the Bible at the same time.

I like that the pages are on the thicker side. Since this is also a storybook, those thicker pages allow this book to be used over and over even after the stickers are placed. We're still working on trying to keep both of our little ones quiet during church and focused on something at least somewhat Bible related. I admit we used to bring small toys with us, but we're trying to keep "entertainment" limited to paper, colors, and stickers now. For us, this book is a great option for church "quiet time". (Don't let me leave you with the impression that our little ones are actually quiet all the way through church! They've came a long way, but it's very much a work in progress.) They've actually been conservative with the stickers, so it might even get a few more uses!

Overall, we've been very pleased with this book, and I'm even looking at more from this line to add to our bag.

*We were provided a review copy of this book in exchange for our honest opinion.
on February 17, 2013
When I opened up the David Sticker Book with my daughter she was initially disturbed. Here was a book where people, animals, and various objects weren't properly colored (while the rest of the book was). I showed her the stickers at the back of the book intended to fill in the blanks in the story. For the next several minutes she was consumed by finding the right sticker for the right blank. Some were easy for her (people in the foreground objects, etc), but there were also butterflies and birds that blended into the background. All and all, completing the pictures was a fun experience. When we were done, we read the story of David which included his anointing, his fight with Goliath, his serenading of Saul and Saul trying to kill him. The book itself covers 1 Sam 16-19 but the last page reveals a glimpse of David as King.

This book is listed as being for children "3 & up." I did the stickers with my five year old. My three-year-old may have done it, my five year old was better at it (all the stickers are in the right place). My three-year-old wasn't too disturbed by the fact that I didn't read it for her. What I was more interested in was would either of them find this book interesting when the stickers were all placed? I think that Karen Williamson and Amanda Enright did a good job making the Biblical story accessible for children. However the novelty did wear off a little. When I was looking for this book to post my review I found it wedged underneath the couch.

However my three-year-old happily had me read it to her when I pulled it out. I personally enjoyed this and loved how much my kids liked the stickers. What fun.

Thank you to Kregel Publications for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
on February 19, 2013
This book tells the story of the early life of David. It quite accurately reflects the biblical text of how he was anointed King, his conquest of Goliath, and his flight from King Saul. Throughout the book there are places where your child can place stickers that go with the illustrations in the book.

Positives: As I said the story line was pretty accurate and true to the Biblical text and very appropriate for its target age group. The stickers are a great way to engage your child in the book and add an element of fun. I really liked that at the reference to the biblical text the story was taken from was included at the end of the story.

Negatives: None

Talking Points: Help your child see beyond the character of David and talk about how God worked in David's life. Trace the providential hand of God from David's selection for king as a young boy, his belief in a great God and understanding that God should receive all the glory in his life. Talk about God's preservation of David's life for many years as he ran from Saul. I think David would agree with Isaiah 55:8, David probably wouldn't have chosen God's path to being a king just as we would often like to avoid difficult circumstances, but God's sovereign plan is for our good and His glory. Show your child that the Bible is not a collection of great stories, but the story of our great and glorious God and Savior, it is exactly what He wants to communicate to us today. 2 Timothy 3:16-17, Is. 55:11, Is. 40:8, I Pet. 1:24-25.

Age Level: 3-7 years of age

I received a free copy of this book from Kregel Publishing in exchange for this review.
on February 18, 2013
This delightful storybook of David & Goliath is spot on perfect for any little kid who loves books and stickers.

So you see the white cut out shapes on the front cover? The entire book is set up in this fashion, with full-color illustrated pictures depicting the well-known story, and white shapes where the stickers are intended to go, so it becomes a sort of shape-matching activity at the same time. The pictures are rather cute and have a hand-drawn appeal.

I like the way the story was summarized and simplified. The storyline and dialogue is easy for children to follow along. I also like the last sentence of the book, encouraging readers to go read the full story themselves in their bible.

Great vivid colors, pleasant character depictions, and high quality stickers! A key feature is the glossiness of the pages, which allows the stickers to be peeled off and reapplied. This also adds to the appeal of being more than a one-time-use activity.

There are 12 pages in all, and 4 pages of stickers, and recommended for ages 3 and up. The size is just right to sit in the lap of a toddler, and the pages can stay open on their own when pressed.

The author, Karen Williamson, is a mother of three, and worked as a London primary school teacher before launching her career as a full-time writer.

I think this is a great activity for church! I love that my kids can read bible stories while they are trying to be still and quiet.

*I received this book from Kregel Publications in order the write this review, but all opinions are strictly my own.
on February 19, 2013
I was provided a wonderful story book from Kregel to read with my children and review - and I have to say my younger two really loved it. In this book the story of David is told, you know the story, a shepherd boy sent to fight Goliath and killing him and then he ends up becoming a king. This book makes the story a bit more palatable for young children, which is nice because they don't need all the `gory' details but stays true to the Word of God and the story of David.

The book comes with four pages of stickers so that as you read you can or your children can place the stickers to the story so they feel a part of it. There are no numbers, and while it's easy to tell where some of the stickers go, it may have been a good idea to somehow number or separate the stickers according to which page they go on in the book. Once you are done with the stickers the backing pages can be removed, without harming the book and you will have a beautiful story book that your child helped `illustrate' the book.

The illustrations done by Amanda Enright are delightful and whimsical while at the same time lending a realistic air to the book, in this way I think that both younger and older children will enjoy the book. This would be great for an Easter gift, birthday or just as a way to introduce the story of David, a shepherd boy who eventually became king.

Disclaimer: I was provided a copy of this book from Kregel Publications in exchange for writing a review, no other compensation was provided, nor was a positive review expected. I'm disclosing this according to FTC regulations.
on February 18, 2013
A charming re-telling of the story of David and Goliath, complete with four pages of stickers, so children can help illustrate the story and fill in the gaps. Fun and quirky art by Amanda Enright lends itself to this easy to use format enabling children to learn the meaning of the individual Bible story and selecting the correct stickers for placement within each page of the story.

My Thoughts:

What a fun interactive book for your little ones. The illustrations are colorful and very eye catching.

I love the Biblical stories of David. As a child one of my first memories of the Bible is that of David and Goliath. I remember the story stopping after David's victory over Goliath. Not growing up in a home that attended a church regularly. I wanted to know what happened to David. I love that this book gives you a glimpse into the rest of the story and gives you the address of where to find it in the Bible. This would make a great gift for a child in a Christian home or maybe you want to introduce the Bible to a home that doesn't believe. Maybe it will intrigue that child or others in the home to just look up the address of the story in God's word.
What a delightful book. Even though my kids are much older they enjoyed putting the stickers in the story.

Disclaimer: I provided an advanced reader copy of this book from Kregel Publication for free in order to write this review. All thoughts and opinions are mine and were not subject to editing from the publisher.
on February 19, 2013
The popular story of King David comes to life in "David Sticker Book". Beginning with the story of David the shepherd boy taking on the giant Goliath, the story progresses through to how Goliath is defeated and King Saul later becomes jealous of David. The story shows how David hid from Saul, and how David eventually became King of Israel. The story faithfully follows the Biblical account as told in 1 Samuel 16-19.

Karen Williamson has done an excellent job at retelling the story of David in a way that is accessible for younger children. Amanda Enright's illustrations are colourful and lively, and suit the story very well. My children greatly enjoyed gathering around the book and using the four pages of stickers to fill in the blanks on the pages until each page was complete. The book is a very creative way of getting children to engage with a story and spend time learning the details of what happened, and I can say that this is their most favorite version of David's story that they've encountered thus far! I would greatly recommend this book to parents or anyone who is looking for a book for a child aged 3-5. I will certainly be keeping my eye out for other sticker Bible themed stories in the future, because they serve to capture children's attention in a very creative manner.

I award this book a rating of 4.5 stars out of 5.

Book has been provided courtesy of the publisher via the Kregel Blog tour service, for the purposes of this unbiased review.