5.0 out of 5 stars A different side of Bowie
This book is not at all your typical glammed up, pretty-poses promotional pamphlet. Instead, you see a very different Bowie from what you might assume. Here he is backstage in his robe, at soundcheck in his parka, working out a new tune on a portable keyboard in a dressing room.
Published on November 6, 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars book
I am a bit dissapointed,of course it is always fantastic opportunity to see some pictures from private tour,but quality is poor,even more,I am teed off at it.Too many too blurred to be style.Myriam Santos-Kayda-I don't know her other photos,but in this book it is shame.
Published on July 25, 2011 by Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars A different side of Bowie, November 6, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: David Bowie: Live In New York (Hardcover)
The photographs are in a documentary style, and they catch a funny, regular-guy side of Bowie. I have this book sitting on my coffee table, and every person who comes over picks it up and looks through the entire thing, whether they're into Bowie or not. Quite an accomplishment.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Rock Photography, November 9, 2003
This review is from: David Bowie: Live In New York (Hardcover)
In October 2002, David Bowie commenced his now famous New York City Marathon Tour, whereby Bowie played five shows in the five New York boroughs on five nights. This was one of the most personal, intimate tours Bowie ever launched and to commemorate it he chose acclaimed entertainment photographer Myriam Santos-Kayda to shoot the tour - onstage, backstage, with his band and by himself. The result is the fabulous collaboration, David Bowie: Live In New York. In addition to opening every aspect of the shows to Santos-Kayda's lens, Bowie wrote a very personal foreword for the book which sets the tone for the photographic collection to follow.
While other books may be called "definitive David Bowie encyclopedias", Santos-Kayda has captured what will surely be considered a definitive David Bowie photographic series. For those Bowie fans who could not attend the New York City Marathon gigs, this book will give them an inside view from a gifted photographer and a Bowie fan herself- which adds another dimension to this gorgeous series of black and white photographs. The collection shows the wit and intelligence of one of rock's most enigmatic legends.
So much has been said about David Bowie and the vast body of work that spans his thirty plus year career. However, rarely has anyone gotten so close to Bowie in the midst of such an energetic atmosphere and revealed the man (and his band) at the height of the creative process. Intimate while never intrusive or contrived, this book should be on the shelf of any self-respecting David Bowie fan. And for those interested in the art of taking pictures, this collection is a handbook on black and white photography in a rock and roll environment. David Bowie: Live in New York by Myriam Santos-Kayda with a Foreword by David Bowie is an influential study that will be a hallmark for future artists and photographers.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST ROCK BOOK EVER, November 13, 2003
This review is from: David Bowie: Live In New York (Hardcover)
I wrote a review for the amazon UK site, not sure if it tranfers over to this one. I love this book. The photographs are beautiful,
all black and white, all stunning. It's Bowie like I've never seen him before and I've been a fan for a very long long time.
It's not just a great photography art book. It's not just a great David Bowie book, it's both. I just bought this book for my friend's birthday and they loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, October 10, 2003
This review is from: David Bowie: Live In New York (Hardcover)
I love this book. My girlfriend bought it
because she loves all things Bowie.
It's a great ROCK book. The photographs are outstanding.
Perfect for this music fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever photo journal of a tour, November 6, 2003
This review is from: David Bowie: Live In New York (Hardcover)
Santos-Kayda does a fantastic job presenting an intimate behind-the-scenes journal of a small intimate tour by a HUGE star. It is not often that an entertainer of Bowie's stature does a tour of such small venues, and it's great to have this record of the events.
The action pictures seem to move and the backstage pix are so inviting you almost feel you are present for the goings-on.
I have many photo books of art and journalism and rock music; but, this one might be the best I've ever bought. No library of rock history could be complete without it.
A great record of a unique tour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Private Bowie Photo Journal, December 15, 2003
This review is from: David Bowie: Live In New York (Hardcover)
I feel like I'm viewing Bowie's own private memories of this tour.
There isn't hardly any text, just Bowie's own introduction, and the
rest are beautiful photos. It's obvious that Bowie gave his seal of approval by writing the foreword, and then you are just left alone to enjoy the art. I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I bought this book, but it has become one of my favorite photo books I own.

5.0 out of 5 stars insights and memories, October 18, 2003
This review is from: David Bowie: Live In New York (Hardcover)
This book, with its black and white shots, really captured the feel of the New York Marathon tour that Bowie did in 2002. The backstage images give a wonderful glimpse of the world of preparation before a show, intimate shots of Bowie and the band, before and after the shows. The on stage pictures bring back all the excitement of the performances, which took place in very small venues. For those of us lucky enough to be there it is a wonderful memento, for others it is a beautiful piece of art, capturing a performer who still has the magic to command a stage.

3.0 out of 5 stars book, July 25, 2011
Blue "Blue" (Reykjavik Iceland) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Arty or out of focus?, October 5, 2005
This review is from: David Bowie: Live In New York (Hardcover)
I have to say that after all the hype I was very disappointed when I got my copy of this book. I have expected a fascinating glimpse of Bowie backstage. Instead I got a book with a load of out of focus pictures which, as an amateur photgrapher myself, I would have been too embarassed to publish. Maybe they are supposed to be arty, but they do nothing whatsoever for me. Come to think of it, if I got together all the out of focus shots I've taken of Bowie I might have a book of my own to publish. Anyone interested?

2.0 out of 5 stars Pics are great, text is sorely lacking, December 4, 2003
This review is from: David Bowie: Live In New York (Hardcover)
I was VERY disappointed by this book. Yes, the pics are great, but it would've been nice to have some text to go along with them (i.e. background stories, behind-the-scenes anecdotes, interviews...)!

David Bowie:  Live In New York
David Bowie: Live In New York by Myriam Santos-Kayda (Hardcover - September 1, 2003)
Used & New from: $10.64