5.0 out of 5 stars A Must HAVE book if you have the NEX-7
Published on June 19, 2012 by Claudine Govier

3.0 out of 5 stars I was craving for more
Published on August 11, 2012 by David G. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars I was craving for more, August 11, 2012
This review is from: David Busch's Sony Alpha NEX-7 Guide to Digital Photography (Paperback)
If you purchased the NEX-7 and have previously used a Canon or Nikon SLR, then you soon realize the menu system and shortcuts are a new language from Sony. The NEX manual is quite clear, but very brief. David Busch does a great job of explaining all the little details and aspects of the camera in laymen's terms with great explanations of the HDR settings, lenses, and video that the OEM manual lacks.

However, the overall book seems to be an addendum to the Sony manual and not an everyday shooter's reference. There are nearly zero recommended settings for specific applications and this camera has an overwhelming amount of selections. I was expecting how best to set up the camera for specific scenarios in order to maximize the potential outcome. There are some recommendations, but far too little.

And the most absent part for me was the lack (or should I say mistake) of a full Custom Settings selection. Chapter 2 refers to many more "fun things you can do" in Chapter 3, but Chapter 3 has only one short paragraph which refers back to Chapter 2. And as you find on the NEX, some items are grayed out and cannot be selected to change until the prerequisite setting or mode is selected first. David missed what these prerequisites are in the description so the user must painstakingly hunt for it.

I want a book that can provide an expert photographer's thoughts on how best to set up the camera to perform best in various shots but also improve on the user's interface with the camera and minimize hunting for the setting that is needed. Suggest that a section be devoted to the optimum setup for the everyday family shooter, the naturalist photographer, the street shot addict, the serious photographer, etc. Each setup would be most ideal and quick access to the settings they require most.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must HAVE book if you have the NEX-7, June 19, 2012
This is the BEST camera book if you have a NEX-7. It is very detailed and covers the NEX-7 completely. I studied Sony's handbook and could basically operate the camera but knew I wasn't getting its full potential. Also, there is not one word in the Handbook about the "why" of the settings. David Busch's book not only covers the mechanics of operating the NEX-7 but also when and why one might want to use a particular setting. For example, David discusses RAW vs. JPEG and why you would want to use one over the other. He explains in detail how each of the functions works. Also, before I even got 50 pages into the book, I learned of several operations that were not covered in Sony's Handbook. If you want to get the most out of your NEX-7, this is the book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A camera how-to book that teaches you how-to., July 6, 2012
Expected little from this book except for a reworking of the original manual. I was wrong. This book goes far above the manual that comes with the camera. It's a clear, well organized tome, in English, that goes far beyond the usual explanations. I am unusually impressed. I actually found the camera book enlightening. Best of all, it didn't put me to sleep. That's the highest compliment you can give a tech manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you bought Sony Nex-7, you need this book., August 3, 2012
Nadia K. (Glenmont, NY) - See all my reviews
Unless you are an advanced professional photographer, this book is a must. I am not a professonal photographer, although I have some experience with digital cameras and owned a Canon digital SLR for many years, but needed an upgrade for my professional work (which is not photography -- I needed to take sharp photos from ancient manuscripts in low-light library reading rooms where flash is not allowed). Sony Alpha Nex-7 camera seemed like a very good choice, so I got one. But when I received a package and opened it, I was quite intimidated by this high-tech camera. I figured out its point-and-shoot capabilities on my own, but realized that I needed a good guide book to navigate all the available features of this camera. So, I bought David Busch's Guide and found it VERY useful. It is not for a light reading, though -- you will need to use your brain and it will take time to study the book in depth, and I am still working on it, but I definitely progressed to better understanding of my new "toy" and improved my photographic skills. Bottom line: if you invested money in Nex-7 upscale camera, you should invest very modest amount of money to buy this book -- you won't regret.

4.0 out of 5 stars Busch Guide to Sony NEX-7, September 7, 2012
This is a very clear and complete guide to use of this fantastic camera as well as an excellent presentation of the aspects of digital photography available with this camera. Because it is printed on glossy stock paper which make the many color photographs much more accessible and useful, this manual is rather heavy and not something you are likely to carry around in your camera bag. It would be nice to have had a pull-out menu that you could carry around more easily, but that is not really the function of this guide. It is meant to take you into a much deeper understanding of the camera and its functionality as digital image processor. I'm very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Manual And More!!, August 29, 2012
This is one the best manuals I've read. It covers it all. At first I thought I wouldn't like it because it goes over the basics of digital photography along the step-by-step feature functions. And true, I found myself skipping over a segment or two; but I also found some gems that I didn't know and few things that sparked some creative ideas. All-in-all, the book provides a practical context for each feature of the camera and covers accessories as well. And right now, it's the only game in town. Particularly since Sony itself puts out a fairly pathetic manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference Book, December 16, 2012
I regularly purchase a book when I get into a new SLR and/or new system. In the case of the NEX it is a new step for me as I wanted to downsize and get a smaller more compact system for hiking. This book really explains the hows and whys of each menu item and control when using this camera. For the record, I am an experienced photographer brought up thru the film era into digital ( I own and use Nikon F-5, D-200 and D-300s Cameras). I have several books by this writer and as always he does a great job of clarifying things so you can get the most from your camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informational, well written, December 15, 2012
Seems to cover everything this camera does. Step by step - Easy to understand for a beginner; photos are very helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Busch's unofficial NEX-7 User Manual, August 23, 2012
Having purchased a NEX-7 & downloaded the user manual I was rather stunned by the many hundreds of pages & screeds of information. David's manual is written in an easy conversational style, works logically through what the camera is, what all the bits are & what they do. This is followed by sensible chapters that move you progressively through how to understand & use the camera. The explanations are well supported with real pictures & screen shots so you are in no doubt as to what youre viewing at all times. The book is now part of my camera bag & is my official user manual, like AMEX says, dont leave home without it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, August 7, 2012
I was expecting a comprehensive manual for the NEX7; that is not what I got. This book spends most of its time telling you how to use a camera and not about the NEX7 camera. I have been using this camera for several months and am fairly knowledgeable about its functionality and there were several items which I needed more info about and whole subjects were omitted. An example is the flash compensation function on the camera which is never discussed. Also I never found the discussion of the adjustments that could be made to the alpha lens for focusing. There were few screen shots of the cameras menu which in my mind is necessary to understanding the manner in which you use the camera. I am very disappointed as the Sony manual that comes with the camera is very abbreviated and the full manual can only be used online. Maybe somebody else will come out with a manual.

David Busch's Sony Alpha NEX-7 Guide to Digital Photography
David Busch's Sony Alpha NEX-7 Guide to Digital Photography by David D. Busch (Paperback - June 6, 2012)
$29.99 $19.43