5.0 out of 5 stars Well suited for the beginner or intermediate dSLR user!
Published on July 11, 2008 by owner of nikki-the-wonder-dog

3.0 out of 5 stars More readable than the manual
Most of the information I found in this book was similar to the manual but in a format that made it easier to understand.
Published on November 2, 2008 by K. Vandewater

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Well suited for the beginner or intermediate dSLR user!, July 11, 2008
This review is from: David Busch's Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi/450D Guide to Digital SLR Photography (Paperback)
Okay, I admit it- I am very much a noobie to dSLR cameras. I have been reading some of the same sort of generic books that many others have that are recommended to all photographer-wannabes and I've been slowly ascending the dSLR learning curve. But I wanted a book slanted towards beginners or intermediate users that was specifically meant for XSi/450D users. THIS IS THE BOOK! And I have had it on pre-order for almost a month as it was to be one of the first books out specific to this camera.

It has been worth the wait! The very first chapter tells you how to get out there and start taking photos that are much more than merely acceptable. The second chapter is a virtual roadmap to the camera with plenty of large color photos detailing the location and purpose of all the various buttons and knobs. And from here on, the book just gets better! There are chapters on setting up your camera, getting the right exposure, working with light (natural and flash), downloading and editing images, and a great deal more.

My favorite is an entire chapter devoted to working with lenses. For an absolute beginner like me, this chapter has been sooo helpful. Not only does this chapter explain various lens types but it also explains the dos and don'ts of how best to use them. And wonder of wonders, there is even a section in this chapter subtitled "Ingredients of Canon's Alphanumeric Soup" that gives simple explanations of the data engraved or painted on the barrel or the ring surrounding the front of a lens. To professional or even advanced amateur photographers I'm sure that this is information assimilated long ago, but then this book isn't so much geared towards you. This sort of information is invaluable to dSLR beginners such as me and perhaps even to many intermediate level photographers.

Throughout the book there is extensive use made of fairly large color photographs and I should probably also mention that there is a good size glossary in the back followed by an extensive index.

I notice that Busch is nothing if not a prolific writer and based on the large number of favorable reviews on most of his books, he's a darn good one. And finally, no...I don't know the guy but I think I would probably enjoy being a student in a class if he taught them because he writes on a level that I can understand- not too simplistic and not too far over my head.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful supplement to the manual, September 18, 2008
As one reviewer put it, this is a glorified manual - but that is the strength of this book, and I recommend it highly to beginners, intermediate users and anyone who is "manual challenged." The book goes beyond the manual, however, in discussing lighting, for example, lenses, maintenance, and updating the firmware. None of this additional material is going to do anything for a professional or an advanced amateur, but will be very helpful to all us lesser photographers.

A new Canon XSi user, I wanted to change a camera setting on several occasions, could not find the instructions in the manual or locate the menu item or button, but promptly got the help I needed in this book. I don't go anyhwere without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Busch's Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi/450D Guide to Digital SLR Photography, April 8, 2009
I purchased this book to help me learn all the new features on the XSi.
There are a lot of features cover in this book I would have never know about with out it. I would recommend this book to anyone new to digitial photography taking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Informative., May 30, 2009
I purchased the XSi camera 10 months ago. I bought this book from Amazon, as well as "CANON DSLR The Ultimate Photographer's Guide" (and a 3rd book that was a generic Canon EOS guide whose name I can't remember at the moment).

I do remember David Busch's book because I carry it around with me everywhere I take the camera. I don't use the camera enough to memorize all the different features and settings and I find Busch's Digital Rebel Guide perfectly handy to have on hand.

As far as learning how to operate the camera, this book is all that I need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, April 7, 2009
This is a great, thorough how-to-use book if you own the Canon Rebel XSi. The small pocket size book that comes with the camera is fine, but if you want more, in-depth information, and want to learn how to be a better photographer using the Rebel Digital SLR, this is the book to buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars great book!, November 23, 2008
This book is a glorified manual.. which is exactly what one needs if they have a good photographic eye, but are not sure how to work the camera with their artistic angle... Lots of details and pictures! Love this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars More readable than the manual, November 2, 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars This is what the manual should have been, February 27, 2010
Great book, definitely explains all the features of the camera as well as going into why you would use certain features of the camera, I am glad I purchased the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic resource for new photographers, December 15, 2009
Jumping from a point & shoot camera (i.e. Nikon P80) to the Xsi/450D involves a fairly significant learning curve; and while some will rely on the manual provided by Canon I found ~ and continue to find ~ this book invaluable.

A must have for those new to a more complex and robust camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dave Busch's Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi/450D Guide to Digital Photography, October 24, 2008
Helpful in clarifying the manual furnished with the camera. Unfamiliar terminology is sometimes used in this guide as it is in the manual. Believe it would be improved with a little more "how to" prose.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›