Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now Tikes

on December 8, 2010
If you want to use an unfamiliar setting, it's frustrating to have to guess which option would be best to achieve the effect you're trying for. David Busch's Compact Field Guide for the Nikon D90, 1st Edition is a perfect reference to slip in your pack. In the past, photographers seeking portable information have had to choose between small versions of the manual that comes with the camera, or those laminated cheat sheets that fold out into six index card sized with one-sentence summaries of most of the menu settings. Busch's Compact Field Guide series provides clear, easy to understand guidance in a most convenient format. Its contents include:

Chapter 1. Quick Setup Guide. Hand your camera and this book to any newbie, and they'll be off and shooting in minutes. It shows how to adjust the viewfinder to their vision, format a memory card, choose the right exposure mode (with a paragraph describing each mode and when to use it), how -- and why -- to select a metering mode, followed by lucid explanations of selecting autofocus, autofocus area modes, white balance, and ISO settings. There's a quick guide to navigating through and reviewing the images you've just shot, as well as a quick guide to flash. These are just the basics, and the typical shooter will probably refer to this chapter just once, when they begin using the camera.

Chapter 2. Nikon D90 Roadmap. This 28-page chapter is filled with large photographs of the camera from multiple views, with a paragraph describing what each and every control does, and why it's used. The manual furnished with the D90 gives you black and white drawings and cross references to multiple pages deep in the manual.

Chapter 3. Playback and Shooting Menu settings. Here's where Busch's Compact Field Guide excels. Unlike the command cards, small guidebooks, and manual packaged with the camera, Busch offers complete descriptions of each possible setting, including the rationale for using particular options. The book is spiral bound so it can lay flat while you read the instructions and adjust your camera simultaneously. Small illustrations show the menus in question, but you'll use them only to confirm that you're "in the right place" as you navigate the menus in your own camera. Although the information in this and the following chapter are condensed from those in Busch's full sized guide, they still are more comprehensive than those you'll find in other books.

Chapter 4. Custom, Setup, Retouch, and My Menu settings. Same as Chapter 3, but for the other menus.

Chapter 5. Using the flash. Everything you need to know about selecting a flash metering mode, flash sync mode, flash exposure compensation, etc. is here.

Chapter 6. Shooting D-Movies. All about using the D90's HD video capabilities. All the functions are here, but the chapter also includes a bonus section with tips for shooting better video.

Chapter 7. Shooting tips. This chapter consists of a series of charts with recommended menu and shooting settings for many common types of scenes. This is a brilliant addition, and you won't find it in other guidebooks at all.

Although this portable guide duplicates some of the information found in David Busch's Nikon D90 Guide to Digital SLR Photography, you need both in your library.
on March 30, 2011
I gave the author four stars because there are some things that I badly need to know about this camera, and I found no mention of them: long exposures, for example, which, with most dSLRs, involve the use of "bulb." I realize that most people don't need these long exposure times, but I do.
on December 22, 2011
The book outlines (in detail) the functionality of each feature of your D90 SLR. This, assuming that you're already broadly up to speed on exposure, composition and other nuances that make a great picture. In short, this book is a great replacement for your manual and not a "how to take a great picture" type of book. Worth each dollar that you paid for it.
on December 8, 2011
This little guide book is excellent. The information is just what you need when you are in the field trying to do something different with your D90 than you usually do. I know that at times when I am out taking photos I run into situations where I need to do something with my D90 that I know it is capable of, but I just can't remember how to do it. That's where this book is at it's best. It is a great quick reference guide that has just the right amount of detail to get you where you need to go. It's size is small enough to fit easily in my bag, and it's spiral back lay open design is great when your hands are full and your trying to read about the problem your dealing with. In the past, I have tried to make do with the plastic coated quick reference cards. The print on them is small, the information is very limited, and I always have trouble getting the imformation I need from them. This reference manual works much better for me. For a more professional photographer that uses all of the features of their camera on a frequent basis, this book is probably not needed. But then they probably wouldn't be using a D90 in the first place. I think the Nikon D90 is the best DSLR in it's class, and this book makes it's many features more usable and usefull.
on September 21, 2011
This guide has all the info.It tells you "location, what And how" all the controls on the D-90 work.Has section with reccomendations for taking pics.Covers it all.Nice size for easy carry.Ring binding lets pages lay flat for easy viewing.Mine will leave home every time my D-90 checks out! A good buy.
on December 7, 2011
Great small refrence book to finally set your D90 the right way, buy it!
Well made and eassy to use compack book that you can keep in your camera bag.
on January 14, 2013
Like Alec Baldwin said in "Beetlejuice": "This thing reads like stereo instructions!" That's how most camera manuals are. They tell you the technicalities of how the buttons and switches work, but they don't tell you how on earth that translates into good photos.

This book is what you want to learn why bracketing is important for HDR photos, why you would use Exposure Lock, and the like. It's not a book on photography, like the Dummies guide, for instance, but it does explain each setting and what kind of photos it's meant for. I also learned about the calendar feature on my Nikon D90 - who knew there was a calendar?

This book is spiral bound, with a cover over the spiral, so it's easy to fold back to the page you're reading with a flashlight while your camera is on the tripod, to figure out how to photograph the moon. The pages are laminated, so pluff mud from the marsh inlet where you're trying to take shots of Great Egrets doesn't mess up the book. It's also easy to follow with simple explanations.
on January 10, 2012
After becoming a "Busch Fan" following my purchase of his Nikon D90 guide, I didn't hesitate to order this Compact Field Guide from Amazon. I knew that the book would be another great reference tool. It is thorough, user-friendly with its spiral binding and easily referenced subjects, and a great substitute for the Nikon Owner's Manual. I no longer need the manual in my camera bag. Thanks to David Busch for another terrific camera guide and thank you, Amazon, for the fast and safe delivery which I've come to expect over the years.
on May 22, 2014
The Field Guide for the D90 covers everything, but doesn't go into as much detail the Guide. I find both books indispensable. HOWEVER, the Field Guide arrived looking like it had come from the local library book sale. The cover was dog-eared with the adhesive from a pricing label still visible. The spline had been improperly folded. The Field Guide's condition was not what I've come to expect from Amazon.
on June 2, 2014
To have this book on my Surface Pro tablet while on the road is great. I can not always remember settings on my Nikon D90 and it is nice to be able to look it up on my tablet. I do not carry Busch's complete field guide and other books while traveling but I always have the tablet.