HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports Automotive Deals

on April 8, 2011
I purchased a D3100 2 months ago. Wanting the most out of my equipment, I scoured the bookstores and Amazon for the "RIGHT" guide for some time. When I saw the David Busch guides I knew my search had been worthwhile and ordered both the Compact and Full version prior to release. I have not been disappointed. The compact guide is smaller but packed full of everything you might need to know in the field. I love it and view it as the one of the most important pieces of equipment in my bag. Special Thanks to David Busch!
on March 22, 2013
I am admittedly new to the DSLR world. I bought a D3100 to get away from the point and shoots I have always owned. I wanted a small guidebook to carry with me to learn how to maximize by new camera's features. This book is great for that! If you are more experienced, you are probably not reading this review anyway. If you need to learn what all of the jargon in the Nikon manual means, this book will be a lifesaver. I was intimidated when I first started using my camera, but this book allowed me to get so much more out of my camera. The chapters cover the following:

Chapter 1: Quick setup - Covers basics like buttons, focus modes, etc.
Chapter 2: D3100 Roadmap - More buttons, viewing pics, editing, lens parts, etc.
Chapter 3: Playback and Shooting - Adjusting image quality, ISO settings, white balance and much more.
Chapter 4: Setup, Retouch, and Recent settings - Explains menu options and all kinds of picture tweaks.
Chapter 5: Flash - Flash controls and modes
Chapter 6: Live View and Movies - How to shoot movies with a D3100
Chapter 7: Shooting Tips
on December 14, 2011
If you own a Nikon D3100, chances are you just moved up to SLR cameras, like me. Buy this book, it's the most comprehensive, convenient, knowledgable and useful reference guide you can get. On the go, this is exactly what I needed. It's very easy to reference back to the chapter or specific picture type I'm about to take, enabling me to start shooting within minutes, in case I forgot some of the steps to set it up. It's the PERFECT tool for those who want to squeeze the most out of this excellent camera.
on January 28, 2013
I am an avid traveller and I try to keep detailed journals of my travels (day by day text entries with photos and slide shows to bore friends and family). For several years I have been content with 'point and shoot' type digital cameras. I've had mostly decent results but credit dumb luck more than skill as a photographer. I recently bought a Nikon D3100 with kit lens and a telephoto lens but, thanks to the camera's excellent automatic modes, have not progressed much beyond using it in pretty much a point and shoot mode. I bought a couple of DSLR and D3100 specific tutorial books and they are quite useful, but they seem to require a little more study than I'm willing to devote right now. After almost 50 years as a Nuclear Engineer, I'm not afraid of technical research but I want the easy path for using a camera. This little field guide fills the bill - all of the essentials in an easy to read 150 pages. Who knows? - once I master the basics (by experience and use of this field guide) I will probably go back to the 500+ page tomes that go beyond the basics, only this time I will be reading to 'fill in the blanks'.
on November 10, 2011
I purchased my D3100 with some experience as a good friend has the D3000 and I had messed around with it - but I'm definitely the type of person who will read the manual cover to cover to access ALL the features of a product I buy and the manufacturer manual just didn't make it seem like it was that great of a camera. THIS guide, however, gives you the ins and outs of the camera and allows you to get to know your camera front and back/bottom to top so you can exact your features with your eyes closed. It even includes some information on using the Nikon external flash units (sb400-900). The ONLY bummer was that it did contain information about setting and saving your own picture control settings (9 settings to be exact, on top of the 6 settings already in the camera that you can adjust) and that was really exciting to me until i discovered that the D3100 doesn't actually allow you to have user defined picture control settings other than tweaking the original 6. I must have looked through my camera for an hour before turning to a few other sources to find out what I was missing - it was just misinformation. That being my only complaint - I would definitely recommend this guide to a friend who wants their new D3100 to become their best friend - because that is exactly what it did for me!
on February 8, 2013
This field guide is a great reference! The so called manual that came with my D3100 is a joke in my opinion. It covers much more and in detail. It has been very useful and I recommend this anyone who really wants to know about all the different features and capabilities their camera has. Also, a very friendly user index! Love it!
on May 12, 2011
Your field guide fills in the blanks left by the Nikon manual.
I wish I had bought this book the day I bought my camera.
on March 13, 2013
This is a manual to help guide you through a detailed description with visual aids to understand your cameras features and options. A great reference to getting to know your camera. Offers info I didn't get through just reading my manual that came with the camera. Nicely written. Fits well in my camera case for a quick reference!
on November 13, 2013
I am working through this. I love my NIkon, but know I am not getting the most out of it. This is very technical, however, not an easy read. I almost feel I need a photography glossary with definitions beside it.
on May 19, 2011
I ordered this right after buying a new Nikon D-3100 digital camera. This field guide is a great addition to my camera bag. Has detailed explanations that cover all aspects of shooting great pictures. It was even autographed by the author. I highly recommend this useful guide to anyone who has the Nikon D-3100.