Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: David Busch's Compact Field Guide for the Canon EOS Rebel SL1/100D (David Busch's Compact Field Guides)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on October 30, 2013
Too much I see people toting their status DSLR cameras and never realizing just how powerful their new status camera is. I always glance to see at what mode their camera is set; usally A or P. By investing in this guide you will know exactly what every feature is, what it can do and how to use it. This guide should be packed with every new Canon EOS Rebel SL1 purchased. It would be wise for every good camera shop to include this guide with every SL1 sold. No stone is left unturned and David Busch's writing style is interesting and easy to understand. I have not been able to know a camera this well since my old Canon A-1 that I used many years before switching to digital, all thanks to this great guide. The Canon EOS Rebel SL1 is an awesome camera, but is even better after reading this guide.
on December 20, 2013
I ordered several of Mr. Busch's books before my SL-1 arrived 'cause I knew it would take more than the enclosed manual to get me started. That was an understatement!! I have been taking digital pictures for many years with a "point and shoot" and then decided at age 76, that I needed to experience better pictures and take advantage of zoom photography. A recent visit to Walt Disney World convinced me that I would enjoy photographing amusement parks, places of interest and sports events. After researching various makes and models, I decided the smaller Canon SL-1 would be the perfect weight and size for my small hands.

I agree with the previous reviewer that this spiral field guide is a "must" if you aren't a professional photographer. It will be tucked into my camera bag and I won't leave home without it. LOL Mr. Busch's style of writing makes me feel like he is standing right there guiding me from the moment I turn my camera on. It gives me a sense of confidence that I will be able to "master" some degree of proficiency with much practice and the joy of producing great looking pictures and videos. Thanks, David, for sharing your love of photography and talent in all your books.
on June 10, 2015
If you have or plan to buy a Canon SL1 (100D), or to give one as a gift, by all means get or give this handy guide with it. The camera, after all, is a very powerful, flexible, dedicated computer with a lens on it. Its many, many features and controls will take time to explore and master. David Busch will show you all the basics you need to get started, whether you're a longtime enthusiast with plenty of camera experience, but not with this model, or you're just moving up from a point 'n' shoot or phone camera.

Busch has an encyclopedic book out on the SL1 which I also have and highly recommend. The big book is richly detailed, with background information, a wealth of written and graphic examples plus all manner of tips, insights and an occasional bit of humor. Think of this "compact field guide" as more of a cut-to-the-chase opus. It provides all the essential information you might need, organized so as to be fast and easy to refer to, and simple and straightforward to read so you can get on with whatever you want to photograph. The guide's size makes it fairly handy to take along on outings. The cover and slick paper used should prove durable enough to withstand regular thumbing through to get to a desired topic. And, it's well indexed — a godsend for getting to what you want to look up quickly and efficiently.

The SL1 is too good and too capable a camera to just set on "Auto" and permanently use duffer style. Learn a healthy portion of what the camera can do and you'll learn a whole lot about photography. Bring Busch's compact guide into the learning and familiarization process and you'll go farther, faster, with more confidence and less fumbling around. At $15 or so, this field guide is a bargain.
on June 28, 2015
Shame on Canon USA for discontinuing the complete, printed manuals that used to accompany each of their EOS Rebel camera models. The complete manual is available online, but I find that in the electronic version, it is sometimes difficult to locate obscure bits of information.

That makes the Compact Field Guide an essential part of my SL1 camera kit.

Mr. Busch has been cranking out these manuals for a variety of Canon and Nikon cameras, along with a parallel series of camera model-specific books on digital SLR photography. So far as I can tell, they all have exactly the same format. The "Compact" series tells you everything about your particular camera model. In particular, I like the detailed discussion of the settings for each menu item.

The larger-size expanded "Digital SLR Photography" series includes that same information along with instructions on choosing and using particular lenses, various Canon and non-Canon image editors, metering, using light plus a great many more topics.

I have owned several Canon EOS Rebel cameras. I buy the Compact Field Guide for each one. As to the "Digital SLR Photography" series, if you buy it for one camera, there is no need to buy versions for the others, since they all appear to contain pretty much the same information.

There are other sources of information for photographers. PhotoPlus publishes a series of oversized, camera brand-specific magazines, beautifully illustrated and with lots of useful articles.

If you like browsing used book stores, Andreas Feininger's "Total Picture Control" (1961, Crown Publishers) is, in my opinion, the classic for understanding both the mechanical and artistic side of photography.
on January 3, 2014
I thought about getting the full version, but this fits in the camera bag & so far has been a wonderful source when I'm trying to figure out answers. Perfect!
on July 20, 2015
Along with the SL1 for dummies book this is making my transition from 35mm to digital with this camera a snap. Well written and flows nicely. As a person who writes training courses I know how important it is to be accurate yet not use excess technical terms that end up sounding like gibberish. David did an excellent job with this.
on April 23, 2016
I received the SL1 as a gift and am a complete beginner to the DSLR camera. My grandson showed me a few things but I really needed a quick reference. I bought the big David Busch reference book for the SL! but it is too big to carry around. This is perfect for those of us who are not experts and need a cheat sheet.
on February 16, 2014
Nice small and concise....If I can't figure out how to use my little SL1, I just go to the book...Busch has a whole series of books that are all great
on March 22, 2014
Haven't had a chance to read this book cover to cover but I am working on it. The Guide that came with the camera was so small. This is wonderful. It has lots of pictures which helps. I hope to be able to get through this book over the summer. I had the book spiral bound and a plastic cover put on. This makes it easy to read page by page. I had this done at Staples.
on February 20, 2016
Well written and informative. A bit to technical for the beginner. Should, and wish it was, like several Que books showing pics and step by step on how to do certain things
Wish it was made for the average Joe, who basically is coming off a point and shoot camera.