5.0 out of 5 stars Review of David Busch's Mastering Digital SLR Photography

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
OUTDATED.....old...archaic.
Published 1 month ago by Marion Costa

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of David Busch's Mastering Digital SLR Photography, February 2, 2012
This review is from: David Busch's Mastering Digital SLR Photography (Paperback)
David Busch's Mastering Digital SLR Photography is the best book I have ever read on all aspects of photography with primary emphasis on digital photography. It covers every subject on photography in addition to digital photography. It is like taking a class in photography in written easy to understand language. I have owned numerous books on digital photography and manuals for my camera, but this is the best book that I have owned. I highly recommend it and it is a keeper for my library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Insight for DSLR Photography, July 7, 2012
As an aspiring self-taught photographer, this book was super helpful. I already knew a lot about my DSLR and its settings, but this book is a brilliant missing piece to my education. Busch takes the time to explain the technological gaps in understanding the DSLR, which was critically important for me to understand the fundamentals of photography and light. Definitely a must read and a comprehensive guide to the DSLR. It has already helped me reach a more thorough understanding of my camera. This book is PACKED with so much useful insight. It is very much worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best introductory to intermediate photography book currently on the market, November 30, 2013
David Busch has done it with this 3rd version, updated to cover new topics previously not even known in the photography realm just a few short years ago. This book remains prominent with me, so I can reference it time and time again. Initially borrowed from the library, it's a must have my own copy of this book, type of reference book.

I highly recommend starting with David Busch and John Freeman's books, then migrating onward to Michael Freeman and Scott Kelby's books. That path will lead to a terrific understanding of digital SLR with a solid foundation from which to build a skilled hobby or professional new career.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chock Full of Useful Info for Beginner or Moderately Skilled DSLR Photographer, October 6, 2013
I own David Busch's guide for the Canon 7D camera, so I was already familiar with his thorough but approachable writing style. Though I've been a DSLR photographer for over 5 years, and am on my 3rd camera, a full frame Canon 5D Mark III, I always feel that there is more that I can learn. I have always found it useful to read a section of such a manual, then put it down, pick up the camera and start practicing. Once you think you've understood the relationship between f-stop, shutter speed and ISO, then come back and read about it again. The constant reinforcement of theoretical knowledge, coupled with extensive practice, will truly allow you to master the concepts.

Busch's book has recently been updated to keep up with some of the advances in dSLR technology (such as the addition of GPS and WiFi). The text proceeds from the basics on cameras, exposure, focus, lenses, etc. to putting it all to work in chapters on travel photography, macros, portraits, etc. Whether you read the book from cover to cover or dive into a specific section, you will find what you're looking for in clear, approachable language, not too technical, but not glossing over important technical details. I'm not interested in the inner workings of lenses, so I glossed over that section, but I may come back to it again later when making my next lens purchase decisions.

Chapter 1 - The Incredible Transformation of the DSLR
Chapter 12 - Photographing Concerts and Performances
Chapter 13 - Scenic, Wildlife and Nature Photography
Chapter 14 - Capturing Action
Chapter 15 - Close-up Photography

There are numerous diagrams, illustrations and images, though I found the print quality of some of the images lacking. Some of the images appear to be too dark. An extensive index will allow you to find a particular subject quickly. This book, coupled with one of Busch's books written specifically for your camera model, is probably all you need to take your photography to the next level - as well as shooting tens of thousands of images of course!

4.0 out of 5 stars A real educational book, June 21, 2013
Some of the information is very challenging to me; that said, it is so well written that the information does sink in!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, August 22, 2013
This book is thorough in explaining the workings of an SLRDigital camera. I not only learned what I needed to know, but I learned a great deal more and will continue to peruse the book for more knowledge. Thanks...

4.0 out of 5 stars David Busch's Mastering Digital SLR Photography manual, July 23, 2013
It's a great book for newbies who need a quick overview of how digital cameras function, although there were numerous typographical errors in this edition. Would have preferred acquiring a book specific to the DSLR camera that I own.

5.0 out of 5 stars The exact book I needed as I entered the world of SLRs, July 15, 2013
JAMES "The Baldengineer" (AUSTIN, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
I was reading reviews for different Digital SLRs and one caught my eye: "I was hoping this camera would never let me take a bad picture, boy was I wrong!" It made me realize, I knew nothing about SLRs and was about to spend almost $2000. I thought it might make sense to understand them first.

This book gave me the necessary depth to buy with confidence. The application information invaluable--how to use what settings/modes, and WHY! While my camera's manual is great at telling where all of the features and buttons are located, its application information is limited. (And really, it is quite good for a manual, but still very limited.)

Before making my final purchase decisions, I read through this book to understand what my options were. I ended up with a Canon Rebel T5i and an upgraded lens (one intended for a full frame body.) Initially i was going to buy the 6D, but realized my money would be better spent on better lenses today, then upgrade to a "better" body later.

Example topics I learned:
1. How SLRs actually work. I didn't understand the mirror concept until this book.
2. Why focusing works differently when in "Live Mode".
3. How to calculate focal lengths for "full frame" and "cropped" sensors.
4. What to look for in a lens, and considerations for the future.
5. Difference between Shutter-Priority, Aperture-Priority, and Automatic modes.

FYI, I bought the Kindle version.

Overall, I am very happy with the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Order, May 16, 2012
Love this book. Lots of detail and cant wait to read all of it and learn to take better photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pictures don't just happen....., June 15, 2014
Of course being in the right place at the right moment can bring great opportunities for great photos. But, understanding how to take control of the cameras' many features, rather than just shooting on the "A" setting, is paramount to differentiating yourself from shooting OK pictures to shooting great photos. Understanding light, and how to use it for great results is just one of the many benefits of this book. A great resource for my library.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

David Busch's Mastering Digital SLR Photography
David Busch's Mastering Digital SLR Photography by David D. Busch (Paperback - January 21, 2011)
$39.99 $22.48