5.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch reference for beginner or experienced photographer
I have owned and used quite a few Nikon DSLRs over the past few years, so when I pick up a new one I know the basics. Nevertheless, I was glad to receive this book to help me quickly master the differences between the D600 and other Nikons I have owned. It did not disappoint.

Published 17 months ago by JimT

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the Kindle version.
For those of you who are interested in having the ebook version on your tablet or smartphone, you should be aware that there are no page numbers and so the index is just a list of topics with no links to the book and no reference to where the subject is located. The table of contents works as it should, but the index is useless.
Published 11 days ago by Richard Rosthal

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch reference for beginner or experienced photographer, February 4, 2013
This review is from: David Busch's Nikon D600 Guide to Digital SLR Photography (Paperback)

This is a very complete and thorough book (566 pages!) which covers some of the basics of digital photography right up through advanced subjects, such as the difference between phase-detection and contrast-detection autofocus modes. I think a D600 owner at any level could benefit from having this book. In addition to covering all the features and settings of the camera, it includes a long section on available lenses and the author's personal choices. There is an excellent chapter on the Nikon flash system, with detailed instructions on how to use it. Every item in the extensive D600 menu is explained thoroughly. And to ice the cake, there are two chapters on using the advanced video capabilities of the camera.

The book is well-written and easy to read. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative., January 22, 2013
This book gets down to the basics. It goes way beyond the Nikon manual in helping to understand the camera. I highly recommend it for everyone from amateur to semi-pro photographer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Filled with Nikon D600 Insights, February 2, 2013
I loved the detailed specifics this book offers on how to get the most from my Nikon D600. While the manual that comes with the camera lists all the features in a dry manner, David Busch's book explores every feature fully, with plenty of examples showing when to use each option, when you should avoid it, and how to apply the settings to your photography. There is an entire chapter devoted just to recommended settings for certain types of photography, such as Basic, Studio Flash, Long Exposure, Sports Indoors, Sports Outdoors, Landscape, Bracketing/HDR, etc, plus his suggested alternates to the factory default settings for everyday shooting.

Two of the most difficult parts of learning to use an advanced D-SLR like the D600 are mastering exposure and using autofocus, and Busch includes chapters on each one that fully explain how the camera measures exposure and controls focus. There is even a focus chart you can use to fine-tune focus for specific lenses. And this is the first book I've seen that takes an entire chapter to discuss nearly all of Nikon's available lenses, explaining the advantages of each, including a few hard to find inexpensive gems. The book seems carefully structured to serve the needs of beginners, new FX users, and advanced photographers. Busch puts the background topics and general photography material in four appendixes in the back of the book where they can be easily referenced, with the first 500 pages devoted to D600 how to.

I tend to rate a book based on the quality of its content, and how well it provides insights into using the camera, rather than how it was edited or proofread. On that basis, I give this book five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything (and more) about the D600, April 3, 2013
Got my Nikon D600 for Christmas, then went to Hawaii in January on vacation. Took mostly great photos, but messed up on several, and the video was pure guesswork. I needed a good guidebook. I had bought a Canon G15 for my wife and included David Busch's G15 book, and was impressed with the detail; so, my next Amazon order included Busch's D600 book. On first impression, it was huge and heavy, much thicker than the G15 book. Within an hour, I had figured out my big mistake (I had set the Exposure to Spot, when I wanted to set the Focus to single spot.) I also learned great tricks like showing the focus points in red during playback, an awesome feature. The in-depth part of the book is just that: every single detail that anyone could possibly set on this camera. I may never use most of them, but if I want to know about any of them, they are in this book. A nice touch at the end is 3 chapters on creating video, a fantastic intro for someone like me who has only used camcorders in the past. I can only echo many of the other reviewers here: if you bought a D600, you probably are an advanced amateur at the very least. Do yourselves a favor and get to know this full-featured, incredible camera. This book will open up all the secrets and will serve as a great reference for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Experience Shows, February 24, 2013
I bought Busch's book along with the D600 for Dummies at the same time and reviewed them in parallel. Busch's experience in writing for this genre comes through especially in it's clear organization and thoroughness. The figures are clear and purposeful. His suggestions for camera use are obviously based on real experience as they are believable. Don't hesitate to purchase this book if you want to learn about this complex D600 camera, all about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Busch Does a Great Job, May 19, 2014
I have read camera guides for Nikon's D100, D200, D300, and now Busch's guide for the D600. I think Busch does a great job of providing enough detail in an understandable dialogue with enough visuals to support it. Great job.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Busch's Nikon D600 Guide to Digital SLR Photography, April 16, 2014
exceptional book !! encyclopedic without being overly technical !! very well written in easy to understand language and very well illustrated with appropriate diagrams and photographs !! i especially like the way that the author incorporates diagrams and photographs for further clarification and that they are easily and clearly seen !! i also appreciate the way that the author explains the various functions and capabilities of this camera !! this book will be very helpful for me to gain a better understanding of my camera`s functions and capabilities !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book but HUGE, March 15, 2014
Marty German "macs4e4" (Manchester, CT United States) - See all my reviews
I've enjoyed reading the paper version of this book, a lot! Nice color illustrations with clear explanations.

Unfortunately, now that I've read it through, I wish it also came in a Kindle/iPad version ( I know it does ) but at a discount for people that already bought the 5 pound paper version!@

Paying full price for it twice is just too much money. So it goes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes straight to the good stuff, March 10, 2014
What I like about this book is he goes straight to the interesting things your camera can do. On the first few pages I learned how to record a movie, take three shots in a second, use the self timer, use a remote... and he referred me to chapter 11 where I quickly learned to make a multiple exposures, and do time lapse photography. At that point I stopped and went out to take pictures!

5.0 out of 5 stars The first thing you should buy after getting the camera, March 1, 2014
The owner's manual for cameras is a joke. It was written by engineers who think they are talking to other engineers. If you really want to learn about your camera and how to use it pick up a David Busch book. It's typically a huge volume of information that is well written, well illustrated and worth every penny. I teach photography and strongly recommend that all my students get a book for their respective cameras.

David Busch's Nikon D600 Guide to Digital SLR Photography
David Busch's Nikon D600 Guide to Digital SLR Photography by David D. Busch (Paperback - January 8, 2013)
$29.99 $17.13