Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on February 4, 2013
I have owned and used quite a few Nikon DSLRs over the past few years, so when I pick up a new one I know the basics. Nevertheless, I was glad to receive this book to help me quickly master the differences between the D600 and other Nikons I have owned. It did not disappoint.

This is a very complete and thorough book (566 pages!) which covers some of the basics of digital photography right up through advanced subjects, such as the difference between phase-detection and contrast-detection autofocus modes. I think a D600 owner at any level could benefit from having this book. In addition to covering all the features and settings of the camera, it includes a long section on available lenses and the author's personal choices. There is an excellent chapter on the Nikon flash system, with detailed instructions on how to use it. Every item in the extensive D600 menu is explained thoroughly. And to ice the cake, there are two chapters on using the advanced video capabilities of the camera.

The book is well-written and easy to read. Highly recommended!
on January 22, 2013
This book gets down to the basics. It goes way beyond the Nikon manual in helping to understand the camera. I highly recommend it for everyone from amateur to semi-pro photographer.
on April 3, 2013
Got my Nikon D600 for Christmas, then went to Hawaii in January on vacation. Took mostly great photos, but messed up on several, and the video was pure guesswork. I needed a good guidebook. I had bought a Canon G15 for my wife and included David Busch's G15 book, and was impressed with the detail; so, my next Amazon order included Busch's D600 book. On first impression, it was huge and heavy, much thicker than the G15 book. Within an hour, I had figured out my big mistake (I had set the Exposure to Spot, when I wanted to set the Focus to single spot.) I also learned great tricks like showing the focus points in red during playback, an awesome feature. The in-depth part of the book is just that: every single detail that anyone could possibly set on this camera. I may never use most of them, but if I want to know about any of them, they are in this book. A nice touch at the end is 3 chapters on creating video, a fantastic intro for someone like me who has only used camcorders in the past. I can only echo many of the other reviewers here: if you bought a D600, you probably are an advanced amateur at the very least. Do yourselves a favor and get to know this full-featured, incredible camera. This book will open up all the secrets and will serve as a great reference for many years.
on February 2, 2013
I loved the detailed specifics this book offers on how to get the most from my Nikon D600. While the manual that comes with the camera lists all the features in a dry manner, David Busch's book explores every feature fully, with plenty of examples showing when to use each option, when you should avoid it, and how to apply the settings to your photography. There is an entire chapter devoted just to recommended settings for certain types of photography, such as Basic, Studio Flash, Long Exposure, Sports Indoors, Sports Outdoors, Landscape, Bracketing/HDR, etc, plus his suggested alternates to the factory default settings for everyday shooting.

Two of the most difficult parts of learning to use an advanced D-SLR like the D600 are mastering exposure and using autofocus, and Busch includes chapters on each one that fully explain how the camera measures exposure and controls focus. There is even a focus chart you can use to fine-tune focus for specific lenses. And this is the first book I've seen that takes an entire chapter to discuss nearly all of Nikon's available lenses, explaining the advantages of each, including a few hard to find inexpensive gems. The book seems carefully structured to serve the needs of beginners, new FX users, and advanced photographers. Busch puts the background topics and general photography material in four appendixes in the back of the book where they can be easily referenced, with the first 500 pages devoted to D600 how to.

I tend to rate a book based on the quality of its content, and how well it provides insights into using the camera, rather than how it was edited or proofread. On that basis, I give this book five stars.
on March 15, 2014
I've enjoyed reading the paper version of this book, a lot! Nice color illustrations with clear explanations.

Unfortunately, now that I've read it through, I wish it also came in a Kindle/iPad version ( I know it does ) but at a discount for people that already bought the 5 pound paper version!@

Paying full price for it twice is just too much money. So it goes!
on March 10, 2014
What I like about this book is he goes straight to the interesting things your camera can do. On the first few pages I learned how to record a movie, take three shots in a second, use the self timer, use a remote... and he referred me to chapter 11 where I quickly learned to make a multiple exposures, and do time lapse photography. At that point I stopped and went out to take pictures!
on May 19, 2014
I have read camera guides for Nikon's D100, D200, D300, and now Busch's guide for the D600. I think Busch does a great job of providing enough detail in an understandable dialogue with enough visuals to support it. Great job.
on April 28, 2013
I bought two books for my D600 from Amazon. The first one was a kindle version and the second one was this one. I liked it so much that I even bought the kindle version for this one as that way I can have it and refer to it even when I am not home.

Pros:
1. Extremely detailed
2. Has pictorial representations of the different control mechanisms of the camera
3. Makes it really easy to understand without jumping back and forth based on references
4. I did not have the need to refer to the manual
5. I have covered just the first few chapters and already I am taking better pictures than I used to.
6. Tells you the concept behind choosing a setting so that you know when to use that setting and not just merely how to set it

I did not find any cons. The only thing is that the print version is pretty thick and you will not be able to carry it on the field. I know its not a field guide, but if you really wish to carry it with you for ready reference, then I would recommend getting the kindle version.

Sub
on February 24, 2013
I bought Busch's book along with the D600 for Dummies at the same time and reviewed them in parallel. Busch's experience in writing for this genre comes through especially in it's clear organization and thoroughness. The figures are clear and purposeful. His suggestions for camera use are obviously based on real experience as they are believable. Don't hesitate to purchase this book if you want to learn about this complex D600 camera, all about it.
on May 11, 2013
While it suffers a bit from hasty editing and the rush to get it in print, it's basically an essential companion to the myriad powers of the D600 and well worth its heft and price. Well organized, super cross-references, and full of useful suggestions about ways to get the most from the camera.