Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on July 9, 2012
Camera manual writers like boiler plate, viz.,material that is general in nature having more to do with the practice of photograpy than the operation of the subject camera. Its allure is that, once written, it can be put in every manual with a minumum of editing. It's good stuff, informative and helpful, but . . .

Busch's Canon G1X manual is very camera-specific with a minimum of generic tutorials--and all of those closely tied to the camera. It has great black and white "roadmap" photos of the G1X's layout and lots of color photos taken with it. The writing is precise, crisp and light. His chapter 4, "Setting Up Your Powershot G1X," is a triumph of clarity and alone is worth the price of the book.

I guess I like reading manuals, having plowed through Canon's G1X Camera Users Guide, the G1X Cheat Sheet and Curtin's A Short Course in Canon G1X Photography (and earlier his G11 book), all before reading Busch.

This is the one to buy and read--cover to cover.
on July 10, 2012
I was not satisfied with the digital owner's manual so I purchased this book. I find the book to be extremely useful....what the owner's manual should have been. The book is well organized and it is quite easy to find the applicable section when you have a problem. Buy the book...you will not be sorry!
on January 5, 2013
The G1 X is an excellent camera but (for me) a difficult camera to operate. Personally I prefer a paper manual (showing my age) that shows me how to operate my camera. The G1 X has only a PDF manual. Initially I thought that would be fine but I gradually came to the conclusion that I needed more (and better) information about this camera.

Mr. Busch's book is well written and has helped me out a lot.

If you own a G1 X and want to get more out of your camera then you need this book.
on February 2, 2013
The Good: this manual clearly and concisely explains the benefits, drawbacks and differences -- in natural, friendly English -- things like AiAF, Tracking AF, Flexizone, AF-Point Zoom, Servo AF, Continuous AF, AF-Assist Beam, MF-Point Zoom, Safety AF... and that's just a few pages of Chapter 4!

The Bad: this manual also spends a lot of time on the SUPER-OBVIOUS (like how to use a USB cable, or how to turn the camera on). So there's a lot of stuff you have to search and filter through to get to stuff you still need to learn.
on June 29, 2012
First, let me say I am a Quebecer, speaking French. My English is average. 1) With regard to my order book at Amazone.com, I am very satisfied. I took the express mail service and I received my package in just 3 days. From U.S. to Quebec, Canada. Kudos to Amazon. It was the first time I bought an item from this online store. 2) For the book "David Busch's Canon PowerShot G1 X Guide to Digital Photography", I concur with hehina. This is an excellent book vulgarisastion well illustrated in color on glossy paper and the explanations are clear. I am an amateur photographer who bought the Canon PowerShot G1X, 3 months ago. This device is excellent and the CD provided by Canon is difficult to see. That's why I'll learn a lot from the book by David Busch! I give the rating of 5/5!
on July 9, 2012
As a G1X owner, I was looking for a guide to enhance my ability to use the lesser-known features of this camera. This guide did not disappoint. Good chapters on when to use focus modes, how to vary exposure, and even a few discussions about using software tools in combination with the camera to achieve best results. More advice on techniques for different situations would make this book even better!
on January 17, 2013
Very handy book with every piece of information needed for the Canon G1X camera. So very much more useful for me than looking up a PDF file on a DVD or online. Too bad manufacturers are so cheap about reference material these days. David Busch writes an ideal manual. If you have a Canon G1X you need this book!
on June 23, 2012
This book not only explains WHAT every single function of the camera does, it also shows you HOW to use them to get the best photo. The aurthor also explains WHY one mode might yield better results than another, and he provides examples of situations to illustrate WHEN and WHERE to use the different settings. This book is also an easy-to-use reference for all of the camera settings. If you own the Canon G1 X, do yourself a favor, get this book and start getting AWESOME results in minutes.
on September 22, 2012
This is a fine book, reasonably well written and very organized and comprehensive. Miles better than the User Guide that comes with the camera. Busch is authoritative and balanced. Highly recommended.

In the next edition I would make the following changes:

1. I would be a lot clearer about what focus mode and what metering mode is the best for different kinds of uses. The classes of uses I suggest are family photos; landscapes; urban travel photos of people and buildings; and photos of the interior of museums and churches. A table could present this information. The text could give the reasons why. This would make the text more functional and user oriented rather than sounding like an excellent answer to an M.I.T final exam question: "how does this camera work?" The information I am requesting is actually there in the book but it is a bit hard to dig out, and in the interest of objectivity I think David equivocates too much. A section entitled, "Here is how I set my G1x for each kind of use," would be very helpful to the users.

2. I would tell the user what this camera is, not just how it works. This is a remarkable camera for its insanely good image quality, superb low light performance in a 4x zoom compact camera. Why not let the reader realize what his or her camera is? Computer handbook writers often do this.

3. David Busch rarely uses the LCD in the articulation position, but forgets that this is a major reason people buy the camera. The articulating screen is an immense help in composition and color for almost all photos, not just for very low or overhead camera positions. I would add a sentence or two telling how good it is for composition.

4. A certain lightness of tone, as in the Dummies books, would relieve the M.I.T. quality, if David can manage it.

I say all this with the recognition that this is a camera guide of outstanding quality by a highly knowledgeable author. David Buisch is the dean of camera guidebook writers and this is a truly excellent book. No user should be without it.

Elwood Dowd
on December 11, 2013
a pretty handy book to go along with this camera if not all of the chapters interests you then I'm sure that some of them will still interests you in this different styles of shooting with this camera although the camera has its good points and bad points is mostly a good low light camera with a larger sensor it is very slow and shudder to shutter photography and gets even slower if you add a hot shoe flash and surprisingly it does not take advantage of high-speed memory cards even though they were pretty much introduced around the same time for the model of memory card this camera takes