Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

100%

on January 19, 2012
The book has helped me out quite a bit. A lot of the stuff is overkill if you already have used a camera, and definitely overkill if you've used a DSLR. But the extra information can prove to be invaluable. This book shows you things that the Manual does not, it's a great addition to your photography library. I highly recommend getting this book if you have this Sony model it can be a real lifesaver.
on December 21, 2011
I purchased a SLT-A35 several weeks ago and was very underwhelmed by the included instructional manual. When I found this book, I figured it had to be better than the current manual, so I gave it a shot. If Sony (or any camera manufacturer) was smart, they would just give up on writing their own manuals and commission David Busch to do it.

This is the first "nice" camera I have ever owned, and only being five chapters into the book, I already feel confident that I can go out and take high quality photos. If you purchase any modern DSLR camera, just go ahead and assume that this book (or any of David's books for that matter) should automatically be part of the purchase. It is money well spent. I look forward to ordering another book when I am done with the SLT-A35 guide.
on February 5, 2012
I am very new to Digital Photography and when I bought my Sony Alpha 35 I purchased Davids'Guide as well as his field guide. Both books have a seperate purpose. The larger guide itself walks you through the camera feature by feature, better than the manual that comes with the camera. I take the field guide with me all the time and am always looking up something I don't understand. The book nis compact and best of all folds flat. I rate this book a ten!!!
on March 5, 2012
Anyone who has invested in a Sony a35 would do well to own Busch's guide book. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced image hunter, this book offers a range of valuable information. Information not only for the Sony a35 specifically, but in regards to still and video work in general. I found the first couple of chapters to be simple and general enough to get familiar with the a35 quickly, then in the later chapters, Busch goes into detail on the specifics of how to operate the a35 to its full potential. His writing style keeps it interesting as opposed to a dry instruction manual. I greatly appreciate the fact that this book goes beyond the basic operation of the Sony a35 and guides the reader into real world applications regarding still photography and video work. It's like a classroom in a book....for a ridiculously low cost. Busch breaks down the camera into its respective categories, but also provides useful and accurate image fundamentals such as lighting, exposure, video work, post production, etc.. The layout of each chapter is easy to follow and presents the information in a quick-glance format, that really allows the reader to stay focused on the material, and go back to find what they need when they need it. Keep up the good work David.
on January 28, 2012
Sony should make this book available as a package deal, instead of the tiny owners manual! I took 4 free classes through the camera shop where my husband bought my wonderful Christmas gift, the Sony SLT-A35 camera. I wish he would have bought this book as part of my gift and I could have slept in the last 4 Saturdays(or been out photographing the sunrise!)! A big Thanks to some random person telling me to go on Amazon and look for this book! I have learned more about my specific camera in the first hour of reading than I thought possible! This is beautifluuly written and illistrated, I'll be a pro in no time!!
on February 16, 2012
I am a 79 year old senior and a bit slow in assimilating new technology.
After having my A35 only a few days, it was apparent the that the manual that came with the camera was not good for me. After receiving David Busch's book I found that this book is 180 deg. better for me to start learning the many features of the A35 camera.
on March 31, 2012
The sony manual that comes with the A35 is like a scavenger hunt! Everything you try to look up takes you to five more boring, barely understandable pages.
Mr. Busch's Guide is well written, organized and extremely informative. If you have the A35, you will want this book.
on September 11, 2012
This book was exceptional when I bought my first DSLR camera. Easy to follow instructions with photographs... Glad I bought it, still use it as a reference.
on July 17, 2013
I've read this book cover to cover learning the ins and outs of my a35. I never even bothered with the user manual that came with the camera because this is legions better. Not only does David Brusch teach you about every feature of this camera, he gives general photography pointers too. The book is easy to read and understand. The book is simple enough for beginners to keep up, but also has plenty for more advanced users too. Brusch explains what your camera is doing, and how it is doing it. This understanding helps greatly when tweaking manual settings in tough conditions.

I appreciate that things like sensor cleaning were covered because Sony's recommendations are to have it done professionally, which costs time and money when it's pretty simple to do it yourself. Of particular use for somewhat newbies like myself were the sections which discussed lenses, flashes, and other accessories. Additionally, if you don't understand things like aperture, white balance & color temperature, HDR, exposure compensation, shutter speeds, and more, you will after reading this book.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2014
Great guide book. We use it as a reference.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse